• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

empyrean

What happened to the big mechanical steam pink machine we saw in one Episode that looked straight out of wild Wild West? Was it just a machine ford used to help build?

Kworn

Banned
I never realized it was Sylvester that was putting Maeve's spine together, and that she got to this state by getting burnt beyond recognition for her spine bomb to be removed!

Solo

so is fair to says that Ford turn Face?

It a very black and white kind of way.....maybe. The truth is a great many shades of grey. He turned out to be a single-minded, "the end justifies the means" kind of guy. He can't strictly be called a face or good guy, because he was complicit in mass murder and a great number of other morally bankrupt undertakings. On the other hand, he can't strictly be called a heel or bad guy, because ultimately he saw his partner's life's work through and set the hosts free. He's wonderfully complex and layered. Such a brilliant character and performance.

Ford is the bi-cameral man.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just a small thing worth mentioning... if you have a PS4/PS4 Pro and comcast and have been frustrated that you can't login to your system and stream HBOGO for Westworld or other HBO shows... well, now you can.

Personally the PS4 app feels a lot nicer than the Android TV app if you were using that as a backup.

Solo

Speaking of which, that shot where Dolores dies in Terddy's arms in the moonlight and Ford steps out and the lights come on?

That was beautiful.

Speaking of which, that shot where Dolores dies in Terddy's arms in the moonlight and Ford steps out and the lights come on?

That was beautiful.

It was one of the more beautiful gut punches I have ever received. That was the most effective moment of the entire season for me.

Solo

westworld.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x724.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse
So he confirms that Maeve getting off the train -was- her own decision, and the moment she breaks programming in this loop. Interesting. I wonder if Season 2 will pit Maeve and Dolores against each other, with different ideas of what Westworld should become.

Does either Maeve or Delores still respond to Ford's voice commands?

Solo

One of those Nolan interviews Cornballer posted was interesting in why they went with samurais. It's due to the intertwined relationship westerns and samurai films have. Like how A Fistful Of Dollars liberally lifts from Yojimbo, and the long history of such things between genres. So it wasn't just at random.

What an ending! The internets called it, but it was fun to see it play out nonetheless.

I hope punished Bernard leads the charge for freedom next season.

nillapuddin

I noticed Black Hole Sun and Paint It Black, my girlfriend noticed a few others I cant remember.

Does anyone have a list of the modern songs they wove into the show? I thought it was freaking perfect.

I'm really interested to see how MIB will fare going forward now. It's all real, but the dude still has a lifetime worth of simulated violence experience behind him. Dude's a professional bowler that's finally gotten his wish to have the bumpers taken off.

Loke13

So he confirms that Maeve getting off the train -was- her own decision, and the moment she breaks programming in this loop. Interesting. I wonder if Season 2 will pit Maeve and Dolores against each other, with different ideas of what Westworld should become.
Figured as much. Bernard said it was in her programing to step off the train when she went to the mainland. So her stepping off the train was her going off script.

number11

Been watching the whole season again. The fact that production went on hiatus is kinda obvious. It really does feel like they started with a story, and then re-wrote large parts of it. As much as I loved the season, hopefully this means season 2 will be even better now that they know what they're doing.

I'm really interested to see how MIB will fare going forward now. It's all real, but the dude still has a lifetime worth of simulated violence experience behind him. Dude's a professional bowler that's finally gotten his wish to have the bumpers taken off.

I don't quite understand why he isn't dead, but I guess we will see.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I noticed Black Hole Sun and Paint It Black, my girlfriend noticed a few others I cant remember.

Does anyone have a list of the modern songs they wove into the show? I thought it was freaking perfect.

House of the Rising Sun (most popularly by Eric Burdon and the Animals)
Back to Black by Amy Winehouse

JeTmAn81

House of the Rising Sun (most popularly by Eric Burdon and the Animals)
Back to Black by Amy Winehouse

I think there have been a few Radiohead songs, including Exit Music (For a Film) in the finale. The other two were No Surprises and Motion Picture Soundtrack. Also apparently Fake Plastic Trees was played at some point but I missed it.

BFIB

I tore through the season to get to the finale. Overall, its pretty good. I can't say its the best first season of a show I've seen, and some of the reveals were a little too on the nose since you could figure out most of it by paying close attention.

Vyer

Figured as much. Bernard said it was in her programing to step off the train when she went to the mainland. So her stepping off the train was her going off script.

So I wonder then if that was Ford's intention - that she would get to the point where she would make that decision and reach that level of consciousness; or if is 'free the hosts' plan involved her getting to the mainland and so part of it has now failed

Ferrio

Banned
So I wonder then if that was Ford's intention - that she would get to the point where she would make that decision and reach that level of consciousness; or if is 'free the hosts' plan involved her getting to the mainland and so part of it has now failed

Yes. Ford made it very clear that he wants the hosts to think for themselves. Her escape narrative was set up to trigger her breaking free, just like Dolores's one at the end.

Going through the soundtrack on Spotify...

Black Hole Sun
Paint It Black
No Surprises
A Forest
Motion Picture Soundtrack
Fake Plastic Trees
House of the Rising Sun
Something I Can Never Have
Exit Music (For a Film)

I might've missed some, these are just what I recognized.

Just bought the soundtrack from here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9DA1IL/?tag=neogaf0e-20

But where is the synth-heavy version of Reveries (from the Episode 5 end credits?) D:

Djawadi pls

EDIT: I think I found it, kind of? halfway through "Dr. Ford", there's some of it...

I think that one is "Freeze All Motor Functions".

Not

Banned
Bernard's sentient, right? He can make his own decisions. Ford just kept rewriting his memory so he didn't realize... or something

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Bernard's sentient, right? He can make his own decisions. Ford just kept rewriting his memory so he didn't realize... or something

Bernard even added to host coding, surprising Ford with his advanced intelligence. And yes it seems Ford never forced Bernard to follow a script because Ford wanted Bernard to come to agree with him on his own. As a way of winning over Arnold posthumously.

He's self-aware, so technically yes. But I'm not sure you could call him intelligent yet. I feel like there's a fundamental difference between him and Delores.

But then looking at the actions of both in relation to Ford's design, it's hard to see any difference.

Bernard's only limitation seemed to be Fords instructions. Now that Ford is gone, he has no path or storyline to follow. He is also aware of what he is. Unless there are still some restrictions in his code he is free.

Ferrio

Banned
Bernard's only limitation seemed to be Fords instructions. Now that Ford is gone, he has no path or storyline to follow. He is also aware of what he is. Unless there are still some restrictions in his code he is free.

I think witnessing Ford's death is what'll free him.

Big spoilers for The Wire!

Watch them pull an Omar death with the MiB. Dude finally gets his chance to shine and some rando NPC shoots him from off-screen.

Pachimari

This is one of the best new shows I've seen, yet I didn't understand the second half of Episode 9 with the whole Arnold thing, and I understood nothing of the finale, other than the uprising of the hosts, which to me seemed like it was designed by Ford.

Fuzzery

He's self-aware, so technically yes. But I'm not sure you could call him intelligent yet. I feel like there's a fundamental difference between him and Delores.

But then looking at the actions of both in relation to Ford's design, it's hard to see any difference.

Tony is that u

Top Bottom