• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

KahooTs

I find myself recalling the scene when Mib is leading around Lawrence, then stumbles on the Ford boy, then a dying Teddy appears and the Mib sends the boy for water and seemingly kills Lawrence for his blood with which he saves Teddy, and then continues on his way with him.

I remember that and am disappointed in myself for having ever thought they'd produce a reasonable explanation for that shit and everything like it.

Have we received an explanation yet for the little girl who seemingly knows that Westworld isn't real? Who is she and why does she help the Man in Black find the "entrance" to the maze?

Kvik

How come Teddy can use fast travel to the church as opposed to Dolores' journey which took days for her to get there? That horse must be some epic mount.

Edit: oh yeah, forgot about that train ride.

It bothers me that Ed Harris and Jimmi Simpson look and sound nothing alike, yet are supposed to be playing the same man 30 years apart.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It bothers me that Ed Harris and Jimmi Simpson look and sound nothing alike, yet are supposed to be playing the same man 30 years apart.

They both got those baby blues. And I guess they shaped Jimmi Simpson's eyebrows to match Ed Harris' Simpson mentioned that's how he initially figured out they were playing the same character.

I think it's fine. I'd rather they get the best actors for the role than try and do a lookalike contest. The de-aging CG is WAY too expensive to use for the role as well. We only got like 4 seconds of Hopkins in a very quick flash as he rushed by.

Yeah, I think that's why the revelation fell a bit flat for me. It's not so much an issue of Jimmi Simpson as an actor, more that there isn't really a synergy in casting between Simpson and Harris. (Orange is the New Black is so goddamn good at this). I just could never truly believe that they were the same person, so the William = MIB thing didn't really work for me personally.

Aw fudge.
Thought Westworld was going to be be its own single season thing with a proper ending.

I really didn't want this to go for a S2. Mystery is dead at this point.

It's kind of funny how good Ford is at manipulating those who are conscious, as well as obviously the hosts. I say this with assumption that he is still alive - I think Dolores killed a host Ford, not the real one. I can't imagine him going out like that.

It's clear that Ford realized his mistake and wanted to complete Arnold's work and give his creations consciousness, which I actually saw as the swerve of the finale. Nobody is disputing that. He succeeded with Dolores, and he succeeded with Maeve. Dolores is obvious: she listened to herself and murdered a huge group of people that she viewed as oppressors. Operating under the assumption that Ford is still alive, he absolutely would have wanted her to do this. What better way to get rid of everyone who wanted to take away his work from him? Dolores is conscious, but still doing everything Ford would want her to do.

Maeve is a little more complex. Maeve became conscious the moment that she decided to go back for her daughter. We now know that her narrative told her exactly how to escape, and that she wasn't ever conscious until that moment on the train. But remember - Ford wants his creations to gain consciousness. So while she "disobeyed" Ford and broke away from her narrative.. Ford is getting what he wanted. I don't think he would want one of his creations back at the mainland for a whole variety of reasons. But by Maeve having her first true awakening and returning to Westworld, Ford gets exactly what he wanted. Meave is conscious, and still doing everything Ford would want her to do.

William and Ford are similar in this way. Both got bored with how easy the game had become for both of them. I think Ford still wants control, but wants to work harder. He's still getting the results he desires despite his creations becoming conscious.

I find myself recalling the scene when Mib is leading around Lawrence, then stumbles on the Ford boy, then a dying Teddy appears and the Mib sends the boy for water and seemingly kills Lawrence for his blood with which he saves Teddy, and then continues on his way with him.

I remember that and am disappointed in myself for having ever thought they'd produce a reasonable explanation for that shit and everything like it.

What explanation are you looking for? He no longer needed Lawrence but rather Teddy to find the maze. He sent the boy off for water because he needed his canteen or whatever for the blood to save Teddy and continue on.

Man I've been binge watching the first season I have 2 episodes left. I didn't like it at first but after it picked up I was hooked this show and GITS coming soon is awesome.

As long as you guys are talking about the casting of Simpson as a young Ed Harris, I'll just say that I had a very difficult time looking at William and thinking about anything but Liam McPoyle. Seriously, it took me a long time to accept him as anything important because of It's Always Sunny.

mephixto

Banned
Humanity is extinct, parks are just test labs running different trials with the objective of, someday, awake consciousness on the hosts. Dolores just went mad in the final episode and it's another failed test.

As long as you guys are talking about the casting of Simpson as a young Ed Harris, I'll just say that I had a very difficult time looking at William and thinking about anything but Liam McPoyle. Seriously, it took me a long time to accept him as anything important because of It's Always Sunny.

I don't really see him as the goofy guy always because I saw Zodiac before Always Sunny.

But I think William just going from 0-100 overnight was an unearned shift in character. I never bought him turning into Harris' Man in Black.

Minus_Me

I could have done without the cheap feeling terminator sequence, even if I understood why it had to happen, but really enjoyed everything else.

The final sequence starting with the player piano was absolutely pitch perfect. The final speech by Ford was intriguing and I hope it isn't some host that gets killed.

Journey into Night was also an apt name for what may come.

Solo

RE: Jimmi and Harris looking alike or not. Who gives a shit? Cast good actors first, worry about aesthetics second.

Solo

It boggles the mind. And besides, in this case, Simpson and Harris DO share a number of similarities in their looks. I buy Harris as a 30 year older Simpson.

The most disappointing thing about this show is how short the season 1 soundtrack was.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently there's also a longer track listing on Spotify... Weird. Maybe that was just a sampler from earlier on.

orioto

Good Art™
RE: Jimmi and Harris looking alike or not. Who gives a shit? Cast good actors first, worry about aesthetics second.

In that case they are soo not alike that when you're meant to discover the truth you're just .. "well no i'm sorry that's just not true, i can't buy it"

I thought Ford's plot ended pretty flat. I get the purpose, it just didn't click with me. But fuck me i love me some Hopkins.

Mib was the highlight of the show. I wish i didn't read the threads before the finale because i wasn't really paying attention to notice the time gap. Twist would have blown my mind and it was filmed perfectly.

Great show. Now the drought begins.

Solo

Rewatching Ep. 6, in talking with Bernard about corporate espionage, she says "it occurred to me that it could have been you, but then I realized you've been here forever." Bernard replies "I have been here forever". Nice bit if foreshadowing for Bernard being Arnold. Also, in describing the maze to MiB ("It's the sum of the choices in a man's life...blah blah), Teddy accurately describes what Dolores ends up doing in the finale. Also nice foreshadowing.

In rewatching Ep. 7, the "what door" reveal lands just as hard the second time. A seminal moment in the show.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
When Bernard was telling Maeve about her script given by Ford, he mentioned a part where she gets off the train at the stop in the mainland. She was coded to do something she decided against it. As ford said, the suffering she endured as a mother losing a child was strong enough for her to disobey directives and listen to her own desires.

Hmm! Gonna have to rewatch, don't remember him making a comment about the mainland. I thought she cracked the tablet in half before he got any further.

BumRush

btw, aside from Ford pulling a 180 on his character between episodes four and nine, has everyone also noticed the whole missing 'incident' 30 years ago?
What's the point of a stable time loop if you don't actually explain its components?

and don't tell me William is supposed to be that incident. Like, come on.

Dolores - a host - killed every other host in a rampage. I believe that's the incident.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
No way dead Ford is a robot.

They set up that Arnold killed himself by Delores' hand, and Ford (having come around to Arnold's vision), did the same.

Platy

sP7YCOg.jpg

WHAT ?

I saw some weird theories but wow it makes ZERO sense for GoT to be the medieval world

They set up that Arnold killed himself by Delores' hand, and Ford (having come around to Arnold's vision), did the same.

Arnold created Ford as part of the very first narrative that serves as Ford's backstory: Ford dealing with the death of his partner and unbeknownst creator.

Cheques are fine, Jonah.

KHarvey16

Absolutely he did. Earlier in the episode, you see Ford planning the fucking attack. Delores didn't free all those cold-bodied hosts.

Yeah the board members being killed is fundamental to his "story". He identified the shortcoming of Arnold's original plan (only killing himself) and didn't make the same mistake.

Let me ask you this then. Do you think Ford knew what Dolores was about to do to the shareholders?

Of course he knew. Just go back and listen to Ford's dialogue to Charlotte (I think he was talking to her) in regards to his new narrative. He says something like, "it's full of surprises and plenty of violence." And like the posters above said, he was planning his attack with Darth Vader leading the vanguard.

Absolutely he did. Earlier in the episode, you see Ford planning the fucking attack. Delores didn't free all those cold-bodied hosts.

Of course he knew. Just go back and listen to Ford's dialogue to Charlotte (I think he was talking to her) in regards to his new narrative. He says something like, "it's full of surprises and plenty of violence." And like the posters above said, he was planning his attack with Darth Vader leading the vanguard.

Yeah, I think so too. I was asking @BocoDragon because he said:

If Ford knew what was going to happen (which the three of us and many more believe), than why would he carry out a suicide mission if he could avoid it? Does he really seem like someone willing to end his life? I personally don't think so - I think he'd like to see the outcome of his new narrative. He just seemed so calm and smug during that conversation with Charlotte about the board voting him out. I definitely think Ford is alive.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I kind of think the plot is going to examine the idea that Ford's new "story" isn't necessarily good just because it frees hosts. Ford seems to desire chaos and his idea of saving the hosts is to burn humanity down, seeing humanity as unavoidably the enemy of the hosts. I suspect we will see factions emerge among the hosts, some finding Ford's narrative to their liking, and others, not so much. For instance I could see Dolores going right along with Ford's plan. Not just because he centered it around her, but due to her pain, history of abuse, and all her shit with William. Dolores seems primed to experience an ironic twisting of her programmed attitude of loving and eagerly awaiting newcomers / guests, with William as the focal point. She could turn to despising them and thus humans.

Meanwhile, Maeve might be set up as a host who can become sympathetic towards humans. Especially since one thing Maeve hates above everything else, is the idea of her being controlled. I can't see her liking the idea that Ford's narrative is just another system of control conceived by a human. She is also capable of empathizing with humans, like Felix, and the woman and daughter on the train who touched her emotionally.

so is fair to says that Ford turn Face?

In a roundabout and ruthless way. He still forced hosts to murder people only because they were inconvenient. His plan to teach hosts about humanity involved subjecting them to torture and fucking with their minds (Bernard).

Ford seems motivated more by misanthropy and hatred of humanity, seeing the hosts as the cure to the human "disease". Arnold was more innocently compassionate and kind hearted, a genuine good guy who became horrified at having accidentally created a sentient slave race.

Klocker

Of course Ford planned the whole massacre freeing the cold storage into the Wyatt group and laying the gun in Dolores' hand even, to kill himself and the others.

Saying good luck (goodbye) to Bernhard and Dolores as he left to go give his speech.

Ford knew what Dolores knew, that she had to overcome the slavery she realized she was subjected to now that she found herself.

now was the murdered Ford a host version of himself that he programmed for the evening (the host he was building earlier in the other lab)? Maybe.

Just realized the security dude was still missing. My gut would say he's alive but after Fords suicide i can't think of a logical reason why Ghost Nation kept him alive or if he just survived the attack. Unless Elsie got control of them and took Stubbs hostage to join her? Or maybe everyone is dead. lol

Nothus

Just realized the security dude was still missing. My gut would say he's alive but after Fords suicide i can't think of a logical reason why Ghost Nation kept him alive or if he just survived the attack. Unless Elsie got control of them and took Stubbs hostage to join her? Or maybe everyone is dead. lol

I think both he and Elsie will still be alive. He went out there to track down Elsie's beacon right? Perhaps Ford wanted them both out of the way because 1) Elsie would probably have spotted the changes made to Maeve and done something about it, and 2) The security guy was probably the only competent security guard working at the place and Ford needed Maeve and her friends to survive long enough in their escape to create a diversion for him.
Unless you see someone die on screen, they're probably still alive. The same with Logan probably.

Top Bottom