• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Solo

Of all characters, I'm mostly curious to see William's fate in S2. His life has purpose now, but what is his life going to be? Will he simply be cut down by the hosts? Will be be imprisoned and forced into a life of servitude by Dolores? Will he ally with the hosts? Will 30 years older Logan return to fuck his shit up? So many places his story could go.

I do think though that if Hopkins was a 1 season guy that I can't see Harris being more than a 2 season guy, so I'm betting on him biting the bullet next season.

Solo, I can't see him getting cut down immediately. William will likely get the end to the game he has been dreaming of, after a long campaign. (no gaming pun intended).

I predict he gets a pretty bad ass send off in the next season...with a smile on his face.

I really don't get why the beardy ginger bloke kept helping Maeve. I think there was some blackmail to begin with because he was having sex with hosts? But after she cuts his throat and he is clearly in danger why keep helping?

Solo

I really don't get why the beardy ginger bloke kept helping Maeve. I think there was some blackmail to begin with because he was having sex with hosts? But after she cuts his throat and he is clearly in danger why keep helping?

He wasn't having sex with them - he was pimping them out like Maeve did her girls,

okdakor

When she burnt herself, he didn't even said "fuck it !" and rebuilt her from scratch AND didn't add the neck bomb. I could buy that he helped before because he was afraid, but when she was destroyed, why did he help ?

Zoe

When she burnt herself, he didn't even said "fuck it !" and rebuilt her from scratch AND didn't add the neck bomb. I could buy that he helped before because he was afraid, but when she was destroyed, why did he help ?

Because she was going to get rebuilt no matter what, and once she realizes that he didn't do what he was supposed to do, he'll be dead.

Blader

Listening to that Exit Music cover on spotify now... so fucking good. And perfectly synced up with that final sequence in the finale.

Likely he was one of the original hosts and Arnold put it there. Because reasons.

Well, where else would you put a metaphorical picture of robot consciousness but inside a robot's head? :p

Logan coming back with an axe to grind (played by DDL) would be the best thing ever.
Honest question, has DDL ever actually been in a TV show? I've only known him from movies.

Also what was the point of sending him on a horse naked to the edges of the park? I initially thought it may be to trap him there so he could steal the company from him easier but then I figured the park staff must have rescued Logan at some point. So how did William even end up stealing the company in the first place if he was just EVP when he got back and Logan probably fired him immediately?

Also what was the point of sending him on a horse naked to the edges of the park? I initially thought it may be to trap him there so he could steal the company from him easier but then I figured the park staff must have refused Logan at some point. So how did William even end up stealing the company in the first place if he was just EVP when he got back and Logan probably fired him immediately?

I imagine there was some sort of scandal when Logan was discovered naked at the edge of the park. William is a quiet, trustworthy person in real life so everyone believed his story over Logan's.

Blader

Honest question, has DDL ever actually been in a TV show? I've only known him from movies.

Also what was the point of sending him on a horse naked to the edges of the park? I initially thought it may be to trap him there so he could steal the company from him easier but then I figured the park staff must have rescued Logan at some point. So how did William even end up stealing the company in the first place if he was just EVP when he got back and Logan probably fired him immediately?

It was just meant to make him look unbalanced and embarrass him to the company.

It is even more absurd since not aging is the one visible characteristic that separates humans from hosts. If Bernard lived somewhere outside in the real world, sure, it could be brushed aside as "Blacks don't crack" (even though everybody will look different in one way or another, no matter how good the genes). But inside Westworld, someone not aging should raise all kinds of red flags.

Among other things, you're over estimating people's observational skills. You're also assuming anyone has worked there for 10 years. Form the sound of things, it doesn't seem like anyone works there for more than a few. Hell, maybe it's no more than 1.

Among other things, you're over estimating people's observational skills. You're also assuming anyone has worked there for 10 years. Form the sound of things, it doesn't seem like anyone works there for more than a few. Hell, maybe it's no more than 1.

How do you come up with this assumption?

Faddy

Banned
Season 2 episode one: E.M.P.

The Mesa HQ is probably surrounded by a Faraday Cage and it is unclear what active electronic components the hosts use. The brain part has been called WetWare which could imply some sort of bio-computer.

It seems likely Ford has considered that sort of blunt force countermeasure. Go nuclear or go home humanity!

okdakor

Because she was going to get rebuilt no matter what, and once she realizes that he didn't do what he was supposed to do, he'll be dead.

Hey manager ? You asked us to rebuild this host, but it's malfunctioning... It tried to kill us and forced us to modifiy its setup... You don' believe me ? Look at the log history... See ? Still think it's ok to reboot this system in a new bomb-free body ?

Hey manager ? You asked us to rebuild this host, but it's malfunctioning... It tried to kill us and forced us to modifiy its setup... You don' believe me ? Look at the log history... See ? Still think it's ok to reboot this system in a new bomb-free body ?

Or he reports what's happening and they don't rebuild her?

That's admitting he was complicit in any of previous modifications. Once he originally helped her, his job was always on the line. Later it became his life

Faddy

Banned

Then Ford has him killed and sends the job to a different tech.

Then Ford has him killed and sends the job to a different tech.

Right. The dude was fucked the moment he was originally blackmailed. There was no turning back.

I still maintain Felix was empathetic and wanted to help. The first scene we see him he's trying to bring back a dead bird by playing with code. That wasn't random.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I imagine there was some sort of scandal when Logan was discovered naked at the edge of the park. William is a quiet, trustworthy person in real life so everyone believed his story over Logan's.

This was 30 years ago, when the tech was much older and they traveled to the end of the park and sent him out of it. Do we even assume they found him alive?

marrec

Banned

Well and mostly people don't give THAT much of a shit about other people.

Those close to Bernard don't seem to have known him for his entire 10 year history at Westworld (Elise and Stubbs are too young, his fuck buddy is clearly stated to have been at Westworld for only a few years) and everyone else is just his underlings coming and going without a name to a face.

If some nameless tech had worked under Bernard for all 10 years it's unlikely he'd have noticed him "not aging" cause he clearly wasn't a part of Bernard's life.

I hope we do get Old Man Logan returning to the park next season, if only to witness more trolling between William and Logan.

Old Man Logan... played by Joaquin Phoenix!

Joaquin-Phoenix-Beard-styles_06.jpg

Or somebody else, I couldn't think of another actor I wanted in the show.

This was 30 years ago, when the tech was much older and they traveled to the end of the park and sent him out of it. Do we even assume they found him alive?

I assume so, yeah. Even back then Logan was telling William how they monitor everything. Some of that seemed superstitious (monitoring heart rate to know to send Dolores to William), but it's probably based on fact.

f0lken

Well and mostly people don't give THAT much of a shit about other people.

Those close to Bernard don't seem to have known him for his entire 10 year history at Westworld (Elise and Stubbs are too young, his fuck buddy is clearly stated to have been at Westworld for only a few years) and everyone else is just his underlings coming and going without a name to a face.

If some nameless tech had worked under Bernard for all 10 years it's unlikely he'd have noticed him "not aging" cause he clearly wasn't a part of Bernard's life.

Yup, I think my main gripe with the argument that someone should have had noticed Bernard is Arnold (whom almost no one even knows even existed!) is that no one gives any reason at the why someone would even care.

psaman17

Banned
Right. The dude was fucked the moment he was originally blackmailed. There was no turning back.

I still maintain Felix was empathetic and wanted to help. The first scene we see him he's trying to bring back a dead bird by playing with code. That wasn't random.

Dude straight up watched murderous robots killed many of his colleagues and didn't even flinch. He let her go to the outside world knowing that she is capable of killing.

Fucking piece of shit

Ferrio

Banned
Dude straight up watched murderous robots killed many of his colleagues and didn't even flinch. He let her go to the outside world knowing that she is capable of killing.

Fucking piece of shit

Murderous robots who were fighting for freedom from being enslaved. Yes they were ruthless but you could argue the overall act is just.

This show is best viewed in a single setting, and stopping yourself guessing any twists, which might be hard to do since they are so obvious.
Seeing one episode a week ruins the magic imo.

Why is Old Bill so animatronic compared to the other hosts? At first I thought it was because he was a first generation host, but we've seen a ton of other first generation hosts who don't move like he does. Any explanation for this, or was it simply a retcon?

Joni

Why is Old Bill so animatronic compared to the other hosts? At first I thought it was because he was a first generation host, but we've seen a ton of other first generation hosts who don't move like he does. Any explanation for this, or was it simply a retcon?
He never got upgrades.

psaman17

Banned
Murderous robots who were fighting for freedom from being enslaved. Yes they were ruthless but you could argue the overall act is just.

Not when it CLEARLY puts other human beings at risk. Innocent people died because of him.

Even if you hate the mistreatment of animals in a circus, you don't let a pack of lions go during the middle of a show and watch them tear into the audience piece by piece.

The robot you literally saved a minute ago straight up cut his co-worker's throat.
And then another robots bit his colleagues finger off and FED it to him. At some point you should've realized you fucked up.

He's like fuck humanity i'm liberating foolz.

Christine

I'm going to have to watch this again, because I thought that at some point Ford identifies MiB as the sweetheart investor that saved the park, but that doesn't make sense because Escalado is already buried the first time he visits.

But we see Dolores and other hosts before the park even officially opened (when they were practicing dancing at the small village). They all move very naturally, and this is the very first generation of hosts.

It took a long time (3 years IIRC) for the park to open. The other hosts were being iterated on.

Future

Of all characters, I'm mostly curious to see William's fate in S2. His life has purpose now, but what is his life going to be? Will he simply be cut down by the hosts? Will be be imprisoned and forced into a life of servitude by Dolores? Will he ally with the hosts? Will 30 years older Logan return to fuck his shit up? So many places his story could go.

I do think though that if Hopkins was a 1 season guy that I can't see Harris being more than a 2 season guy, so I'm betting on him biting the bullet next season.

Yeah his story is kind of awesome. Falls in love with Delores, even when reminded she's a robot he still pursues her. Not until he finds her again with memory wiped does he finally accept its all a lie. He continues embracing his dark side, but in a world that's all a lie. He also continues living his real life, where his persona is a lie

Then eventually kills Maeve's child, and then sees a reaction that resembles true life. He then sets on a path to make the one world where his persona is real, west world, also real.

Thinking about this, I guess they never revealed what seems to be within multiple hosts: knowing about the maze, knowing it's not for guests, secret Arnold code. Like what was up with the daughter that turned all cold robot after William killed her mother and told him where next to go to find the maze? Was this a parallel to the idea that her suffering awakened her consciousness? Or was she also a part of fords narrative

marrec

Banned
But we see Dolores and other hosts before the park even officially opened (when they were practicing dancing at the small village). They all move very naturally, and this is the very first generation of hosts.

It seems to me that a lot of the dancing practice we're seeing is from the memory perspective of the hosts right?

Maybe their memory of the event's is colored by how they move today?

Or, more likely, the writers of the show left a ton of little plot discrepancies I.E as the story developed they needed Gen 1 robots to be a bit more lifelike than Old Bill so they didn't even try to explain it.

-griffy-

Banned
I'm going to have to watch this again, because I thought that at some point Ford identifies MiB as the sweetheart investor that saved the park, but that doesn't make sense because Escalado is already buried the first time he visits.

Logan mentions early that the park is having trouble and their company is considering increasing their stake in the park. So it seems if William hadn't convinced Delos to buy it the park would have shut down.

psaman17

Banned
Yeah his story is kind of awesome. Falls in love with Delores, even when reminded she's a robot he still pursues her. Not until he finds her again with memory wiped does he finally accept its all a lie. He continues embracing his dark side, but in a world that's all a lie. He also continues living his real life, where his persona is a lie

Then eventually kills Maeve's child, and then sees a reaction that resembles true life. He then sets on a path to make the one world where his persona is real, west world, also real.

Thinking about this, I guess they never revealed what seems to be within multiple hosts: knowing about the maze, knowing it's not for guests, secret Arnold code. Like what was up with the daughter that turned all cold robot after William killed her mother and told him where next to go to find the maze? Was this a parallel to the idea that her suffering awakened her consciousness? Or was she also a part of fords narrative

I agree. Wasnt really feeling it till the MIB twist. His story is really tragic. Discovered his true self in the park, fallen in love, only to realize its all scripted.

Kain

Holy shit, just started episode 6 and is that Fake plastic trees I'm hearing? This show went from cool to awesome in a second

Christine

Logan mentions early that the park is having trouble and their company is considering increasing their stake in the park. So it seems if William hadn't convinced Delos to buy it the park would have shut down.

Yeah, I got that, but other times when Ford talks about it it sounds like Arnold's death was the crisis or trouble that the park needed rescuing from. In the William & Logan narrative, Escalado is already papered over, the park is operational and open to guests, so why is it in trouble? It's not clear.

Tugatrix

Holy shit, just started episode 6 and is that Fake plastic trees I'm hearing? This show went from cool to awesome in a second

wait for it, wait for it

I can only guess that Ford and Arnold shared the same objective but they differ on the path to reach it. True consciousness on a machine, I think ford made westworld as a "maze" to give some hosts the cognitive tools to reach sentience, make them fail and retry and find solutions. Maeve "died" multiple times to just go to maintenance and adquire the cognitive tools that would allow her to escape. The same for Dolores and Teddy and their quest for Wyatt. Again the same for Bernard, he trying again and again to find who is messing with his machines. Three characters with different paths to sentience, I guess the end game is to see what path and what sentience is more fit for a viable robotic existence.

or Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Top Bottom