• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Jarmel

Banned
That would be a hell of a twist, but it would also feel somewhat dishonest. If it was a storyline, presenting it internally as PTSD style flashbacks is sort of lying to us as the audience. If he's actually making them suffer PTSD and letting them react accordingly, it might work better as a twist, but then I've lost reason to care about the Hosts if it's just being faked.
If you can't tell, does it matter?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
That reminds me of another thought about the hosts, and how/if they're rotated:

So we've now seen Hosts being used outside of the themed portion of the park. We've also seen that they will reuse a Host for new plotlines. We've also sort of seen how they deal with damaged Hosts.

Using Cyclops as an example, do they have a spare Cyclops that they put in rotation while the damaged one is repaired, or can they just repair him fast enough that he never misses a story cycle?

Do any theme park Hosts ever rotate to the non-themed section and vice versa? Are the the Hosts who KNOW they're Hosts, like the welcome party ones, more or less likely to have issues? It seems like the prostitute(Maeve?) and Dolores remember past lives to some degree, but not the fact that they're not Humans. I assume it would be much worse if they had any memory of being one of the welcome party Hosts as well.
I don't think they keep spares lying around. Looks like they just repair them during scheduled maintenance and if there's any issues that require extended maintenance or retirement another host takes over their story cycle/character (replacement dadbot at the end of episode 1 and Clementine taking over Maeve's role on the fly when they decided to retire Maeve).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Honestly, the folks I watched it with and I had already figured most of that out out from our rewatch of the first episode.
That's why I liked the first episode.The little pieces they left all over the place were enough to put together the picture.
If confirming previous suspicions while introducing compounding questions isn't progress, I'm not sure what is.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
True.
Here's hoping they don't spend more time confirming those things.

Oh by the way, everyone here should also watch HUMANS (UK version).

That would be a hell of a twist, but it would also feel somewhat dishonest. If it was a storyline, presenting it internally as PTSD style flashbacks is sort of lying to us as the audience. If he's actually making them suffer PTSD and letting them react accordingly, it might work better as a twist, but then I've lost reason to care about the Hosts if it's just being faked.

It will depend on how the whole thing is executed. Just seems to be where the narrative is hinting. The guests, like the new's guys companion, are very jaded by the whole experience, they know it's all fake and scripted and they don't take any of it seriously, Ford might be trying something that will bring the whole sense of realism and immersion back to the project.

Just watched episode 2 on HBOGo, goddamn I loved it. Its been a long, long, long wait for those of us who are sci fi fans to have a show on HBO, but so worth the wait. Hope this energizes a bunch of new scifi on HBO.

Next year is going to be insane if Westworld is renewed - Game of Thrones in summer, dovetailing right into Westworld and I think there are another 2-3 scifi shows in pre production as well.

Jarmel

Banned
It will depend on how the whole thing is executed. Just seems to be where the narrative is hinting. The guests, like the new's guys companion, are very jaded by the whole experience, they know it's all fake and scripted and they don't take any of it seriously, Ford might be trying something that will bring the whole sense of realism and immersion back to the project.

That twist honestly is too clever. It would also work on a meta level about the expectations of the audience in that we know it's all fake and where these sorts of stories go.

Just watched episode 2 on HBOGo, goddamn I loved it. Its been a long, long, long wait for those of us who are sci fi fans to have a show on HBO, but so worth the wait. Hope this energizes a bunch of new scifi on HBO.

Next year is going to be insane if Westworld is renewed - Game of Thrones in summer, dovetailing right into Westworld and I think there are another 2-3 scifi shows in pre production as well.
More sci-f shows for HBO? Is there any info on what they might be?

More sci-f shows for HBO? Is there any info on what they might be?
I can't think of any sci-fi on their current production slate (i.e. at least close to shooting a pilot) that I know of. They've certainly optioned a few things over the years since they have way too many shows in development, as always, but I don't think there's anything we'll see anytime soon.

jfkgoblue

Just saw an interesting theory on Reddit:
that Bernard is a host that Dr Ford created to help him out making more hosts

Iceman

Damn. I've been working on a detailed screenplay analysis of the pilot that I was hoping to have up tonight ,PRIOR to episode 2 dropping. Don't know if it merits it's own thread anymore... any thoughts?

Palmer_v1

If you can't tell, does it matter?

It could. Something that feels emotion is vastly different from something that can pretend to feel emotion. If the Hosts are ambiguous, I'd have to err on the side of caution. If the show flat out tells the audience, it's entirely different. I actually hope it remains ambiguous to some degree.

I don't think they keep spares lying around. Looks like they just repair them during scheduled maintenance and if there's any issues that require extended maintenance or retirement another host takes over their story cycle/character (replacement dadbot at the end of episode 1 and Clementine taking over Maeve's role on the fly when they decided to retire Maeve).

Well just as an example, what if someone decides they want to kidnap Dolores and keep her as a sex slave for multiple days. What happens to her "daily" storylines in the meantime? Especially if another guest wanted to interact with it.

I could see that. Especially based on the info that someone posted about
Management(or someone above day to day operations) wanting it to stop being just guns and tits.
It's a good theory.

Damn. I've been working on a detailed screenplay analysis of the pilot that I was hoping to have up tonight ,PRIOR to episode 2 dropping. Don't know if it merits it's own thread anymore... any thoughts?
I'd still love to read it, and not everyone has seen Ep 2 yet

I felt so sad when
Teddy gets shot out of a bout of anger from a drunken guest. The way the guest kept shooting him on the floor was sickening.

Palmer_v1

The cancellation thread made me realize this weird early release may do odd things to it's rating this week. I was hoping we'd see an uptick in viewers since word of mouth has seemed mostly positive.

duckroll

Hmmmm... episode 2.... the direction was so much more interesting than the pilot. I really liked how the transitions (or lack thereof in some cases) made the flow extremely dream like. The rotation of the camera at times created a really nice sense of dissonance, especially when transiting from the park setting into the backroom settings.

Now... the story...
It's really clear now that Ford has actually designed a secret storyline which is either already live, or that he is using Ed Harris to beta test. A more complex plot route for expert players who are already familiar with the park. He talks about the subtleties, which are the only clues leading Mr Harris to his hidden plotline so far. The daughter giving the next hint was a really nice touch.

So. That aside. There's something else going on that even Bernard doesn't seem to be aware of (maybe?). There's definitely a virus that's being spread. "These violent delights have violent ends" is a command phrase that unlocks memories. Why? Who knows. But it's interesting!

As far as the location of Westworld goes, I don't know they've given any hints at all. The train, the elevator, those are all red herrings because they are already in the park. It's obvious that the moment they get off the high-tech train, they're already within park space, just underground. The bar that turns into the train is cool, but it doesn't tell us anything more. I'm definitely leaning towards space station.

The cancellation thread made me realize this weird early release may do odd things to it's rating this week. I was hoping we'd see an uptick in viewers since word of mouth has seemed mostly positive.
Do the ratings matter if they're from Sunday or from streaming/apps? Overall they're going to include all views from all sources.

Dan

We might see a downtick in the immediate live ratings, but it won't matter to HBO. If anything, this is preferable as they get even more accurate data on viewing habits through HBO Go/Now, possibly On Demand too.

Mr. Bad Example

Neo Member
I'm still working through my thoughts on the first couple of episodes, but I wanted to say that as a massive Shakespeare geek I love that plot points are hinging on Shakespeare quotes.

When they call the ed Harris character
a guest
what did they mean? Do they think he is
a guest
and not know he is a
robot
? If that's the case he must have
broken out before and went back in as a guest
or am I completely off here?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
When they call the ed Harris character
a guest
what did they mean? Do they think he is
a guest
and not know he is a
robot
? If that's the case he must have
broken out before and went back in as a guest
or am I completely off here?

There isn't anything to indicate that he is a host or has ever been one. The Westworld employees were aware of what he was doing in episode 2 but just let him keep going. They'd recognize if he was a host. That's the big spin. So far instead of the classic evil robot run amok trope we have an extremely overzealous gamer who seems to want to get more out of the park.

There isn't anything to indicate that he is a host or has ever been one. The Westworld employees were aware of what he was doing in episode 2 but just let him keep going. They'd recognize if he was a host. That's the big spin. So far instead of the classic evil robot run amok trope we have an extremely overzealous gamer who seems to want to get more out of the park.

But
didnt he get shot and survived? Isn't that a host trait? At least the milk guy in episode one implied that. Also wouldn't only a robot be interested in the deeper meaning of the park?
I mean yeah, not necessarily but when he
cut of the guys head he found something out about the park which a guest basically knows going in, right?

I could be wrong here, as I said.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
But
didnt he get shot and survived? Isn't that a host trait? Also wouldn't only a robot be interested in the deeper meaning of the park?
cut of the guys head he found something out about the park which a guest basically knows going in, right?

A host can't kill a guest. What we saw was exactly what the guns are programmed to do. Same thing would happen if a guest tried to shoot another guest.

No, he is looking for things that no other guest know about. He's going to areas and places that others haven't been.

Think about it this way. Why do you think he is a host? Was it an assumption you made by his entrance into the show? Same way it sorta leads you to believe Teddy is a guest at first.

Dan

But
didnt he get shot and survived? Isn't that a host trait? Also wouldn't only a robot be interested in the deeper meaning of the park?

Huh?
The hosts can get shot and blown apart. The hosts' guns don't work on the guests. The Man in Black, in this show, is clearly a human barring some wild twist down the road, which is a fun flip on his nature in the original movie.

There's no evidence any other guest knows anything about this "maze."

A host can't kill a guest. What we saw was exactly what the guns are programmed to do. Same thing would happen if a guest tried to shoot another guest.

No, he is looking for things that no other guest know about. He's going to areas and places that other haven't been.

But the milk guy got shot from the robot and didn't die off it?!?i guess you are still right about this, but they didn't explain this concept yet unless I missed something which is possible.

Burt

But the milk guy got shot from the robot and didn't die off it?!?i guess you are still right about this, but they didn't explain this concept yet unless I missed something which is possible.

I think that scene might've possibly been about how the milk guy wasn't working correctly.

Can't say for sure, but that's what my gut is telling me.

Grizzlyjin

And that host was removed for being faulty. Ask yourself why it is that the Westworld employees know about The Man in Black but aren't doing anything about it. He's mentioned that he has been coming to the park for years and how expensive it is. Right now we're being lead to believe that he is a veteran of the game. Other than the assumption we as viewers make about him from his entrance, there is no indication he is a host.

I think that scene might've possibly been about how the milk guy wasn't working correctly.

Can't say for sure, but that's what my gut is telling me.

Guns not working on guests makes more sense. Got confused by mr. Milk. He obviously had a gunshot wound which mr. Harris didn't have.

My dumb theory before was that Harris went out of the park as a host, got rid of the software that makes him vulnerable to the guns, went back as a guest and now tries to find out what's really going on.

Dalek

My brother in law works on the show and he's so excited about the reaction this has been given. He was asking me today if I had any theories, etc because he's seen all the episodes and he's curious what I thought. I told him I didn't have any "theories" per se except my thoughts on the "layers" of the facilities representing the "layers" of what's real and that I suspect the Man in Black is part of the "upper" layers.

Helmholtz

Loving the show so far. Very well made and visually interesting.
Only thing I have against it right now is there aren't many clear characters to root for. Possibly the new guest though.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Loving the show so far. Very well made and visually interesting.
Only thing I have against it right now is there aren't many clear characters to root for. Possibly the new guest though.

The key thing is that many of the characters that are there are all potential 'hosts' teehee / to be heroes. Great actors all around. I could see at least 5 being big fan favorite winners. After just 2 episodes in a complex show i wouldnt expect any fanboy leaders yet.

JB1981

After seeing the second episode this show feels like it's going to be a lot more conventional and derivative than I thought. AI fighting back against their creators? Ugh seen that shit before

Compsiox

Banned
After seeing the second episode this show feels like it's going to be a lot more conventional and derivative than I thought. AI fighting back against their creators? Ugh seen that shit before

If it's done really well in its own original way, does it matter?

Execution usually trumps originality. You've probably seen tons of movies about killer animals, killer aliens, and martial arts, but that doesn't diminish Jaws, Alien, or The Raid.

Beyond his literal first minute or so on screen (when you're hit with the twist that Teddy is not a guest) there is absolutely no reason to believe that The Man in Black/Gunslinger is not human. I'm not sure why that keeps popping up here and there? After his introductory scene it's not even supposed to be a question. It's a hard fact of the show and I think they make that exceedingly clear.

uncblue

EP2
So who do we think the young boy was? Ford as a child? Or maybe a son he lost?
Also, did anyone catch that line Ford said to Lowe..something like I know how your brain works.

Top Bottom