• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Amazing. Probably because of the debate?

That's what EW is saying:

Heads up, Westworld fans: The second episode of the sci-fi breakout series has been released early by HBO. You can watch Westworld Ep. 2 right now on HBO Now, HBO Go and HBO On Demand.

And no — HBO’s scheduling computer isn’t rebelling against its network masters by leaking the episode. The early release is actually a crafty way of getting the next hour of the series out from under Sunday night’s second presidential debate between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/07/westworld-second-episode-online-hbo?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

At least it's not a leak? I mean, they've had that twice with GoT, if I recall correctly.

Thanks,Trump. Your bullshit is such a hit, network don't want their shows to compete with it. SMH

Via Westworld Twitter:
BREAKING: #Westworld Narrative dept launches "Chestnut." Stream it on @HBONOW, #HBOGO & #HBO On Demand. More at http://DiscoverWestworld.com/delos #

kMeAJAA.jpg

Palmer_v1

Lol I just saw it on HBO go as I was about to go sleep. Looking for something to put on Chromecast. Now I'm torn on sleeping or watching.

Episode 2:
damn, this just became a robot horror movie

Edit:
now a debate on emergent system-driven gameplay versus scripted missions

Episode 2:
well, that answers whether the company knows or cares about the Man In Black
Ep 2:
I didn't see that coming. I'm very curious how that's going to play out since I thought he was more of a force of nature living outside the constraints of the system from the first episode. But the fact that they're letting him do it, plus there was an actual response regarding the maze is intriguing.
Episode 2:
damn, this just became a robot horror movie
Ep 2:
That sequence was brutal. Really tough to watch. Also, I wonder if they're going to have Teddy-bot be massacred every episode.

More episode 2 thoughts:
- I can see what ERW was talking about in terms of this being a dream part in a lot of ways. It was fun seeing Maeve run the same sequence a few times with her programming slightly altered. Not sure how long that sort of device will remain useful to the show, but it works for now.
- I don't know where they're going with the Cullen - Lowe pairing, but I'm not finding it very interesting so far.
- Jimmi Simpson's friend seems a good candidate for a guest that gets murdered by a robot sooner or later.
- Highly entertaining seeing Ford shut down the narrative director, and whatever Ford has planned was a good tease at the end of the episode.

bounchfx

whoa what the fuck? great news. I just watched the first earlier today, that's so great I don't have to wait a week for another!

jfkgoblue

So I stayed up an hour later thanks to checking this thread...
Well the preview from last week was only for this episode so people freaking out about it spoiling the entire season were incorrect, especially how that Maeve waking up scene played out.

Wonder whats special about the gun? Can she shoot guests with it maybe?
The Man in Black is literally that guy in GTAV looking for Big Foot, like someone mentioned earlier, this episode just confirms it. Also shows that they know about it and approve of it.

Also how far gone do you have to be to suffer no empathy even if they aren't "real"? I guess that's one of the issues this show will be tackling.

Episode 2:

1)
I need to watch it again, but was the facility underground? When Maeve runs between the buildings, I thought it looked like a sheer rock face around them

2)
So "violent delights have violent ends" seems to be some kind of trigger phrase, built into all the updated hosts

3)
Any thoughts behind how the guests enter the facility? Seems like you need to take a special train just to get to the welcome area, doesn't look like the kind of place you could enter on foot.

4)
And seriously, someone needs to pay the electric bill. Why are the lights flickering like a haunted house in this super high-tech advanced facility? I think that could be another indication of the underwater habitat theory

Will wait until Sunday. Gotta know tho...is it good? Worthy follow up to the pilot?
Not as jam packed as the pilot, but it both answers questions and raises new interesting aspects to ponder. Plot isn't slowing down, that's for sure

And continued to highlight this is definitely an actors show

duckroll

So, is it Bioshock (underwater), System Shock (space station), Bioshock Infinite (floating island), Lost (normal island), or Mars?

bounchfx

I signed up to HBO Now just for episode 2 and holy shit I can't believe how bad their web player is. no pop out, constant lagging/replaying. bah. Episode was great though! Super intriguing story so far

edit: After just watching the movie Pontypool this is actually kind of funny to see a potentially similar device
"violent delights have violent ends"

Thank God for me checking this thread compulsively, lol. Were it not for here I probably would have never known it was up and not seen it until Monday night.

Well, wait, actually I was gonna watch older John Oliver episodes (only ever watched them on YouTube before getting HBO a couple weeks ago, so I'd only seen the main segments) so I would have seen it soon enough anyway. BUT WHATEVER, STILL.

Great episode, definitely keeping up the quality so far. And with how little that last preview really "spoiled" about this episode, really not worried about future ones.

Episode 2:

1)
I need to watch it again, but was the facility underground? When Maeve runs between the buildings, I thought it looked like a sheer rock face around them

2)
So "violent delights have violent ends" seems to be some kind of trigger phrase, built into all the updated hosts

3)
Any thoughts behind how the guests enter the facility? Seems like you need to take a special train just to get to the welcome area, doesn't look like the kind of place you could enter on foot.

4)
And seriously, someone needs to pay the electric bill. Why are the lights flickering like a haunted house in this super high-tech advanced facility? I think that could be another indication of the underwater habitat theory

1)
Yeah, it was. Everything's below ground except for that "saucer" area up top where Cullen and Sizemore were talking last episode. It's like an inverted skyscraper.

2)
Sure as hell seems that way.

3)
I still haven't really formed an idea on that one.

4)
Seems like the lower levels are given less priority when it comes to power. Considering the sheer size of the facility, and the fact that no matter where it is it's pretty remote, it seems like power rationing is a notable concern. No need to sink a bunch of money into powering clean-up floors and glorified storage sheds.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've been curious whether the hosts only have single day narratives, since you'd think a lot of western adventures might require multiple days to do. It doesn't seem like guests only have one day there.

This whole thing with the Man in Black just got even more intriguing.

1)
Seems like it, yeah.

3)
Massive Truman Show style place? Miles and miles out, someone might find the edge of the dome. Seems like the train is the way guests enter, while the employees have some alternative ways to emerge into the park, like hidden elevators.

Massive Truman Show style place? Miles and miles out, someone might find the edge of the dome. Seems like the train is the way guests enter, while the employees have some alternative ways to emerge into the park, like hidden elevators.
3)
I still haven't really formed an idea on that one.
That's exactly what I thinking of

3)
Not sure if I'm thinking about it wrong, but the topography doesn't make any sense. So there's this remote seemingly windowless entrance location for guests, which you need to take a long train tunnel to reach, but it's also somehow in the middle of sprawling desert and plateaus where the Westworld train is?

And that train is literally connected to this building? That makes sense if that door is where you enter the Truman Show-style area and then the train pulls away

Also
Ford entering the park tells us that at least part of the facility is underneath the landscape. That elevator was in some big hangar area and exited into the desert.

Which also explains how management is able to reach the town and hosts so quickly.

Which also kind of adds validity to this being some massive artificial environment if the facility extends all underneath the landscape.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

3)
Not sure if I'm thinking about it wrong, but the topography doesn't make any sense. So there's this remote seemingly windowless entrance location for guests, which you need to take a long train tunnel to reach, but it's also somehow in the middle of sprawling desert and plateaus where the Westworld train is?

And that train is literally connected to this building? That makes sense if that door is where you enter the Truman Show-style area and then the train pulls away

Also
Ford entering the park tells us that at least part of the facility is underneath the landscape. That elevator was in some big hangar area and exited into the desert.

Which also explains how management is able to reach the town and hosts so quickly.

Which also kind of adds validity to this being some massive artificial environment if the facility extends all underneath the landscape.
Oh, you were asking about the tram station. I'm guessing that connects to the port (space, sea?) and there's some moderate distance between the port and the Westworld welcome center. That seems easier to rationalize if the facility is built into a natural environment like the ocean floor or another planet's surface more than the space station theory. Then there might be geological or topographical reasons for the distance between the port and the facility.

But yeah, as for the immediate park entrance, I'm feeling like it's a Truman Show type scenario. Whether that train departs from a true edge or it's already located a little further into what I'm imagining to be a miles-wide dome, that's hard to say. Given the technology at hand, I feel like basic illusions of endless skies and landscapes would be easily accomplished. We did the the one guest saying he's never reached the edge. I would guess the narratives aren't built to take people close to the edge anyway.

Joni

I don't think you can assume things that happen in sequence happen immediately after each other. To me we saw Teddy return twice because that was two completely different cycles.

It definitely doesn't occur daily because we see the day after on the second cycle with Delores' father still staring at the photo found the night before.
I thought that was more a moment to show he didn't reset between cycles. She restarted her cycle of getting up, going to paint. She does her first cycle when she gets raped and James gets killed. Her second cycle she does the same but James doesn't help her, men in black does. Here she found the photo. Third cycle she gets up to do the same again but dad is stuck.

Brakke

Banned
Yeah I think dad was supposed to reset but didn't go inside because he was too busy having an existential crisis. I don't get the period of the cycle though. Is it daily? Seems not, you'd figure some guests would want to spend the night with a host? I didn't follow the business with the bandit gang. The one script dude said he managed to make them come a week early, but I couldn't tell if that meant he accelerated a monthly(?) reset cycle or if he moved a special once-a-month(?) event to today?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Oh, Episode 2 is up early? And here I was worried I'd have to dodge spoilers until after the debate.

Brakke

Banned
Watched ep 2. I still basically don't care about any of the questions the show is asking but it still has excellent production values and a strong cast, so I'm not bailing yet. I suppose I shouldn't give a show credit just for having a big budget but here we are. A well-executed show that reaches for the stars and misses is more worth my time than a poorly-executed show that catches the moon to me.

The Man in Black is still in a totally different show that is way cooler than the main show that's happening.

It's totally bonkers how this show proposes a world whose inhabitants are just completely ignorant of video games.

And these Canon Western Art References are immediately stale. Who all did we hit this time? Bosch at least got name-checked. Why is the future so dependent on super old literature? Why is this show so interested in referencing works more worth your time than itself?

TheRed

Was nice to get the 2nd episode while unable to sleep waiting out hurricane. Thanks HBO! The weeks ahead preview looks great, I'm glad the plot is progressinga ready at a nice pace.

PolishQ

3)

Also

Yeah, I'm thinking the whole park is artificial. That would reinforce what the Man in Black said, that all of the details in Westworld are deliberate. There could even be separate deserts on different levels of the structure, like older versions. That could explain why sub-level 83 from the first episode looked like it used to be a welcome lobby.

In the "subway" ride scene, you could see little specks flying by outside the window. Stars? Probably not, but it was certainly dark out there. I'm betting on an underground high-speed train, possibly very long distance (under the ocean?).

I like what you said about a "robot horror movie". I would take it one step further and call it a horror movie FOR robots.

And that gun that Dolores dug up, that's totally a "real" gun that can kill humans. Who told her where it was, though? Ford or Lowe?

I think I read too much GAF... Found the first episode to be pretty weak. I'm sure you're all praising its setup and not the actual content, correct? Because the dialog and half the characters are yeeeesh, I can't believe they spent so long in production and this is the final result.

You all throw around brilliant, perfect, and hyped!1! way too much with some properties.

Yeah, I'm thinking the whole park is artificial.
They explained in an EW interview that the whole park is terraformed: "One thing I can definitely say is that later on we’ll see the ways the park is terraformed. Not only are the hosts and wardrobe and dialogue are designed meticulously, but also the land is also designed for the park." Sounds like you're on the right track with your comments.

And that gun that Dolores dug up, that's totally a "real" gun that can kill humans. Who told her where it was, though? Ford or Lowe?
Did anyone pick up who's voice that was talking to her? My sound quality was poor and I was watching with captions on, so I didn't identify them.

PolishQ

Did anyone pick up who's voice that was talking to her? My sound quality was poor and I was watching with captions on, so I didn't identify them.

I could be wrong, but didn't we only hear her side of the conversation? Which was a single word, "here."

They did establish earlier in the episode that Lowe has been having secret meetings with her, though...

_Ryo_

I just read about the early release. Does this mean we can discuss it here without being banned because it was an official release by HBO and wasn't a leak like GOT?

I just read about the early release. Does this mean we can discuss it here without being banned because it was an official release by HBO and wasn't a leak like GOT?
Yes, you're welcome to discuss Episode 2, as many of us are, behind spoiler tags. Once it airs on Sunday night, the tags are no longer necessary.

You can discuss it with spoiler tags. After the regular broadcast on Sunday, discussion of EP2 can be untagged

Well this is interesting, from the Discover West World site. Saw it mentioned on Reddit
Standard Package - $40k/day | Silver Package - $75k/day | Gold Package - $200k/day

For our more advanced guests. Panning for the hidden gems in Westworld can take time, and our Gold package offers access to secret paths that lead straight to the outer fringes of the park. These narratives are not for the faint of heart – come unprepared, and you may find yourself blinded by the halo of righteousness, or pulled deeper into the allure of darkness. All amenities in the lower tiers are available to you, along with an arsenal of hosts and tools to unlock levels you never knew existed.

- There's a bit of new info on the Delos Incorporated website that HBO put up last night
- SlashFilm discusses a few different Westworld theories (most (all?) of these have been discussed in the thread already)

Also of interest, someone posted this on Reddit a month ago:
I'm not scared of a computer passing the turing test... I'm terrified of one that intentionally fails it.
...and Jonathan Nolan replied with "Boy have we got a show for you!" down the page a bit.

I could be wrong, but didn't we only hear her side of the conversation? Which was a single word, "here."

They did establish earlier in the episode that Lowe has been having secret meetings with her, though...
I listened again now. It sounds like a modulated version of Lowe at the very beginning of the episode.

Top Bottom