• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Khoryos

I'm a little sad we aren't going to get to see
Whoroboros.

It's also kind of interesting how episode 2
Kind of subverts some stuff from the trailers - piles of bodies in the real world, people getting scalped by braves that we then see in the real world, stuff that made it look like the new plotline was going to go horribly wrong.

Best thing about the show is how it just makes you REALLY think about how fucked up the whole thing is. What makes it so uncomfortable is how lifelike the hosts are. They're so advanced that they're pretty much human at this point and seeing them in this endless loop of suffering just to entertain rich assholes is heartbreaking.

The details are what makes the show. People who just scoff at the show thinking it's just another AI becoming sentient and revolting story aren't really getting it.

Anyone in this thread who wouldn't give a shit about the hosts just because you know they aren't technically human?

Aselith

Best thing about the show is how it just makes you REALLY think about how fucked up the whole thing is. What makes it so uncomfortable is how lifelike the hosts are. They're so advanced that they're pretty much human at this point and seeing them in this endless loop of suffering just to entertain rich assholes is heartbreaking.

The details are what makes the show. People who just scoff at the show thinking it's just another AI becoming sentient and revolting story aren't really getting it.

Anyone in this thread who wouldn't give a shit about the hosts just because you know they aren't technically human?

Yeah probably the most effective moment was random fratbro blasting someone literally for no reason.

freefornow

I think the only defensible point so far in that show in that regard is that
Ford saying he knows his brain
but I feel that's pretty thin. I think what might be closer to the truth is that he feels
sympathy for the hosts because they are made to live but not allowed to live and maybe he's trying to help them gain autonomy and sentience of their own. I think him trying to kickstart a robot revolution feels more correct to me at least right now.

There is also the post coital dialog between Cullen and Bernard where Bernard says that the reason hosts talk to one another when there are no guests around is a form of "error correcting" where they "practice being human". Cullen then asks Bernard "is that what your doing now? Practicing". Bernard does not respond.

Also, Bernard is having "dialog" with Delores (without Fords or anyone elses knowledge). The scene where Delores walks out past her barn and asks "here?" before digging up the gun. Was the instruction given by Bernard?

UberLevi

Watched episode 2 tonight and the ending had me hyped for the next one. Also, on the topic of episode 2 did anyone else get reminded of the
flash sideways universe in LOST
when the
hosts were remembering the past
?

CHC

I liked Episode 2. I'm very intrigued by this
maze
thing.

But seriously fuck the manager woman and the screenwriter guy. The scenes with them are really intolerable and undermine the deep mystery of the company and the "how" in a very uninteresting, network-TV feeling way.
His temper tantrum about the nose and the scene where we see that she is fucking Bernard were
both useless eye-rollers for me.

I love the concept and central mysteries of the show but it would be much better if the fat was trimmed. I'd prefer strict parallel stories between guests and hosts, with the inner workings of the company revealed only when a host is taken in for maintenance or a guest strays too far.

Spare me the workplace drama subplot, it's tiring.

Vazduh

OK, discuss is too strong of a word. But I gotta say I was a bit taken aback since usually simulated scenes are always more of a "bouncing on one's lap" kinda thing. Or on those, how are they called... nude patches?

Not riding a semi-visible prosthetic.

Budi

OK, discuss is too strong of a word. But I gotta say I was a bit taken aback since usually simulated scenes are always more of a "bouncing on one's lap" kinda thing. Or on those, how are they called... nude patches?

Not riding a semi-visible prosthetic.

Oh well sure, good for them making fucking look like fucking I guess. Makes the world more believable. Not the first thing I would compliment in the show though.

Edit: Personally if I would visit Westworld, I would keep my pants on though. Not because of the hosts but because the creators are watching. I'm very shy/reserved in that way.

There is also the post coital dialog between Cullen and Bernard where Bernard says that the reason hosts talk to one another when there are no guests around is a form of "error correcting" where they "practice being human". Cullen then asks Bernard "is that what your doing now? Practicing". Bernard does not respond.
Banter at his expense, nothing more. And Ford was literally just saying he knows how he thinks because... he knows how he thinks.

Let's not get too ridiculous when it comes to overanalysis.

Episode 1 question: when the bartender is checking the dude's pockets before dude gets his throat slit, there's a piano-ed up version of a pop or rock song playing in the background. It should be really obvious but I couldn't put my finger on it. What was it?

TheOddOne

I think he's allowed to do whatever he wants because that's the selling point of the park. "There are no laws" (Well, other than harming another guest). I don't think he's been given special privilege though. If it was another guest, I think park staff would still do nothing.

He's just a guy who's obsessed in finding hidden secrets in the park. He's like that one player in an MMO where he is max-level, has all the equipment, and done all the quests. He's bored so he needs to find all the secrets, or any hidden messages left by the creators. His actions in the shootout shows that he knows how all the hosts will react because he's experienced it dozens or hundreds of times. He knows the bar guy will call for reinforcements. He knows where the guys will be and how they'll try to ambush him. He even knows where the one guy was hiding behind cover.
Video.

Games.

But yeah, that makes sense.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
This show was much needed. I love the concept and the onion like layers to the plot. The production values and soundtrack are incredible, too.

This show needs a character with disarming wit and humor to break the monotonous dialogue; someone just as bleak and cynical as the rest but not as moody or fatalistic. As it stands now, I can't really root for anyone on this show.

Man this show is so good! Watched the first 2 episodes back to back and I wish I had the rest of the season right there and now. Loving the concept of the show, the girls are gorgeous and the acting is brillant.

Macka

It's an interesting question. We as viewers have the luxury of being able to see that something is changing in the hosts. I don't know if they would be considered truly sentient at this point, but even the idea of them remembering the horrors that have been done to them is unsettling.

On the other hand, as far as the 'rich assholes' are aware - this whole situation is nothing more than mowing down NPC's in GTA. So I wouldn't be as quick to imply that anyone going a bit crazy in Westworld are genuinely bad people. Even Ed Harris' character may be a decent man outside of WW, but just genuinely doesn't care about what he considers on the same level as a toaster.

diaspora

As far as I can tell, the hosts are essentially physical NPCs in an MMO or RPG. They're as far as anyone is concerned- animatronic striped bots.

Burt

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but certainly warrants discussion:

Where can I purchase some Hemsworth genes to ensure that my children are walking human highlights?

Future

I would visit Westworld and fuck everything that moved

Everyone would. From the audience perspective everyone looks like dicks for abusing the hosts because we've gotten extended time with the hosts

But from the guest perspective they are told they aren't real and can't be hurt. So yo can do whatever and not feel guilty. Like killing pedestrians in gta. It's all a game. The monsters are the institute

maze
thing.

But seriously fuck the manager woman and the screenwriter guy. The scenes with them are really intolerable and undermine the deep mystery of the company and the "how" in a very uninteresting, network-TV feeling way.
His temper tantrum about the nose and the scene where we see that she is fucking Bernard were

I love the concept and central mysteries of the show but it would be much better if the fat was trimmed. I'd prefer strict parallel stories between guests and hosts, with the inner workings of the company revealed only when a host is taken in for maintenance or a guest strays too far.

The show isn't just about the guests and hosts though. It's also about the morality of the people who run the park and why they choose to do what they do and make the decisions they make. Learning more about them and who they are informs their actions and gives us background on the decisions made in relation to the park and the hosts.

Not having that would make the show way, way worse.

Future

maze
thing.

That reinforces the way the institute thinks of the hosts though. They are creations. Like creating a mold out of clay. It's no different than a painter damaging his work and lashing out when it isn't perfect.

The institute scenes show how core central characters view the hosts. I'm sure this will be important when the drama hits
and we find out who created the maze, who is messing with Dolores, etc

Atilac

To decide whether I should watch it or not I looked at wikipedia, did I get spoiled on that short description at the top?

Burt

To decide whether I should watch it or not I looked at wikipedia, did I get spoiled on that short description at the top?

No.
Creators have confirmed that
Ed Harris is not playing Yul Brenner and that the storyline isn't a retelling or continuation of the story in the movie.

Top Bottom