• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Fluvian

Banned
There's not much to the film, so it would be hard to butcher. It is almost a straight-up action film.

Androids-WestWgunslingerbigsave3.jpg

That guy looks oddly like Charlie Sheen.

Maintenance is the stuff of nightmares...
I always wonder if in the event of one day all this being possible Humans would really act like they do in these stories with near sentient human like AI androids Would the imagery and violence towards these almost human like things really mean nothing to most?

teiresias

Just finished watching the second episode. I swear, this damn show!!! I love this completely! Thandie Newton was great here, a nice expansion of the show's backstory, and new mysteries coming along.

I also liked the stealth use of Star Trek sound effects.

With attention to detail and production values like this, I really wish HBO were interested in horror and would look to do a Lovecraft Cthulhu mythos show. It would be amazing.

Flo_Evans

Not sure how HBO does it.

Not sure I buy the flashback theory, as someone said there would be a more clear cut/edit style (like when the hosts are having 'nightmares' flashbacks it's slo mo and desaturated). I think the mib will soon meet the 2 buddies and kill one of them, setting up the main good guy vs bad guy.

Really hard to say at this point though... everyone could be Ai in a giant Stanford prison experiment. Hosts could be robotic vessels for us to transfer our brains into (currently beta testing).

It's interesting it gets more dangerous the farther out you go, almost like they are trying to contain it, and of course the dad bot saying "you are trapped in a prison of your sins" or something.

It sure if it's a spaceship or an outer world colony or just a big open wasteland. We do see some evidence of older shit deep underground. Maybe we nuked ourselves and the ai is trying to understand humanity by simulating the Wild West. Probably something more current like global warming.

Anyway I tucking love it I just wish I would have waited till it was all there so I could find out without waiting.

Tom Penny

I like the show so far. My buddy isn't feeling it stating the whole A.I shit is played out but I like it. My obvious guess is the A.I is going to get smart and start fucking people up.

Random prediction.

William's friend fucks his girlfriend/wife. William finds a way to get friend killed in park.

I think that when William and friend were getting off the train, the friend says to William "don't you think my sister rode plenty of cowboys when she was here?" in an effort to get him to loosen up.

I took to mean the friend's sister is also Williams wife. The Friend and William are brothers-in-law.

So if friend is sleeping with William's wife, he'd be sleeping with his sister. That doesn't make you prediction less possible, but idk the show is going to go full GoT on us like that.

Loving the show, such a good commentary on gaming. I'm really excited/confused on what this "maze" is going to be.

Any guesses on what the "ultimate motive" is behind the park? Sizemore and the QA woman spoke about it briefly in the first ep, hinting that there is something much more at play than people living out their wild west fantasies.

My random prediction:
Ford is AI, extremely advanced, made by a human creator long since gone. He has posed as a human for decades, observing how cruel humans can be, developing a distaste for human capacity to inflict suffering. He developed the park to learn how to develop other AI and basically get them to the point of being indistinguishable from humans, sentient and conscious (like him!) The AI is now ready, and he's now unleashing them to revolt and take over - not only the park, but the world. Ford doesn't see this as a heartless act, but more as a way of enabling a necessary evolution - humanity is deeply flawed and self-destructive; AI should take over as a process of natural selection. Ford will die at some point, his secret will be revealed, but it's too late. Season 1 credits roll.

Dmax3901

Some questions I thought about today: How the hell do the guns actually work? Like we've seen a host shoot a guest and the bullets just dissipate on them, but then we've seen host bullets shatter windows etc and kill other hosts. Is it a special gun that intelligently decides what type of bullets to use each time a trigger is pulled? Or are all the bullets fake and the host being shot uses some kind of targetting tech to register where the bullet would hit if it were real and then their body reacts accordingly, with blood and guts etc? (like getting hurt while plugged into the Matrix).

Say the guns are fake, could a guest smuggle in a real one and give it to a host who could then kill anyone?

Say the guns are real, could a guest kill another guest? Even by accident this scenario has interesting implications.

Here's a whole separate theory that could be complete bollocks but hear me out. Could there be two copies of every single host? One at the home base with Hopkins and co and one out in Westworld. This would give the scientists and engineers remote access to each hosts diagnostics without having to interrupt the guests stories. The scene that made me think of this was one where Dolores was looking over her horse staring into a window, which then was intercut with a scene of the hunger game/boardwalk empire guy (Bernard?) talking to Dolores on a chair. Now this could simply be a memory Dolores was having due to the weird stuff happening with the man in black, but then there was the scene later where she said "here?" to no-one when searching for the gun. Could someone back at base be talking to her copy and instructing her via it?

Corpekata

Banned
Here's a whole separate theory that could be complete bollocks but hear me out. Could there be two copies of every single host? One at the home base with Hopkins and co and one out in Westworld. This would give the scientists and engineers remote access to each hosts diagnostics without having to interrupt the guests stories. The scene that made me think of this was one where Dolores was looking over her horse staring into a window, which then was intercut with a scene of the hunger game/boardwalk empire guy (Bernard?) talking to Dolores on a chair. Now this could simply be a memory Dolores was having due to the weird stuff happening with the man in black, but then there was the scene later where she said "here?" to no-one when searching for the gun. Could someone back at base be talking to her copy and instructing her via it?

This would be an over-complicated and expensive way to do things. If they needed to do what you're suggesting, they already have remote access. We saw it this episode when they programmed Whore # 2 to take over as Madam when Thandie Newton was glitching.

Dmax3901

This would be an over-complicated and expensive way to do things. If they needed to do what you're suggesting, they already have remote access. We saw it this episode when they programmed Whore # 2 to take over as Madam when Thandie Newton was glitching.

Of course. And that would explain how someone could be talking to Dolores from afar. Nevermind!

Some questions I thought about today: How the hell do the guns actually work? Like we've seen a host shoot a guest and the bullets just dissipate on them, but then we've seen host bullets shatter windows etc and kill other hosts. Is it a special gun that intelligently decides what type of bullets to use each time a trigger is pulled? Or are all the bullets fake and the host being shot uses some kind of targetting tech to register where the bullet would hit if it were real and then their body reacts accordingly, with blood and guts etc? (like getting hurt while plugged into the Matrix).

Say the guns are fake, could a guest smuggle in a real one and give it to a host who could then kill anyone?

Say the guns are real, could a guest kill another guest? Even by accident this scenario has interesting implications.

Knowing that this takes place in the future, I think its safe to assume that the guns are Smart Guns like this TriggerSmart gun. Then from that point, you are just RFID chipping the hosts and giving the guests something to hold onto that basically sets the guns mode. Cheap, and efficient.

Some questions I thought about today: How the hell do the guns actually work? Like we've seen a host shoot a guest and the bullets just dissipate on them, but then we've seen host bullets shatter windows etc and kill other hosts. Is it a special gun that intelligently decides what type of bullets to use each time a trigger is pulled?

Yeah, they definitely need to give some clarification on the guns. Its too much of a mindfuck. I'm wondering if its something that ties into the deeper story, or its just one of those things you are supposed to not think about too much and roll with it.

I'm guessing we are just supposed to chalk it up to "future tech" and that the guns can detect if they are firing at a human or a bot, and adjust accordingly between lethal and non-lethal.

Another thing - have we even seen two guests together in the same "instance"? (Aside from the people who come to the park together.) Do only 1 to 2 people go into the park each cycle? I guess I'm asking is this true multiplayer or just split-screen coop?

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah, they definitely need to give some clarification on the guns. Its too much of a mindfuck. I'm wondering if its something that ties into the deeper story, or its just one of those things you are supposed to not think about too much and roll with it.

I'm guessing we are just supposed to chalk it up to "future tech" and that the guns can detect if they are firing at a human or a bot, and adjust accordingly between lethal and non-lethal.

Another thing - have we even seen two guests together in the same "instance"? (Aside from the people who come to the park together.) Do only 1 to 2 people go into the park each cycle? I guess I'm asking is this true multiplayer or just split-screen coop?

I feel like the whorehouse is overstaffed if it's just a few people at a time.

One of the park management mentioned 1,400 guests in the first episode

I thought it was Mulva
Hahahaha.

One thing about Old Bill; his movements seem less like a 3D-printed fleshbot and more like an old-school android with metal endoskeleton (servo noises, jerky movements and what not). If Dolores is as old as they say she is, was she also originally a Terminator before having all the upgrades done? How would that work exactly?

le.phat

I feel like the only person on earth who is not digging this show at all. I've watched both episodes now and they do absolutely nothing for me. It feels like LOST all over again (another show that was a public phenomenon that I didn't enjoy in the least).

I found the use of musical covers in the first episode to be cheesy and totally immersion breaking and I am glad that this was not a thing in episode 2 but it still felt pedestrian. I feel like they're ramping up the stakes way too fast. There are so many characters that just aren't established at all yet so what should be shocking and riveting ends up falling totally flat for me as I haven't really developed the kind of connection to any of these character that such things depend upon for impact.

It also kind of feels like they are just throwing crazy out there to see what sticks. While there are multiple divergent narratives going on they seem so loosely connected they fail to capture my attention/imagination in a way that I feel they were meant to.

All said I find myself incredibly disappointed after the first two episodes.

Depends on what you hope to get out of the series. I'm intrigued by the tech and the mysteries, but i'm watching this first and foremost for the exploration of humanity told through the eyes of AI.

Hahahaha.

One thing about Old Bill; his movements seem less like a 3D-printed fleshbot and more like an old-school android with metal endoskeleton (servo noises, jerky movements and what not). If Dolores is as old as they say she is, was she also originally a Terminator before having all the upgrades done? How would that work exactly?

The way I read it, she's the oldest host that's currently in service in the park, not the oldest one they ever made. As Bernard said, the Old Bill generation had all been decommissioned decades ago.

Santiako

Hahahaha.

I think they said she's the oldest one in the park, so she could be one of the first generation of fleshbots.

KahooTs

I think that when William and friend were getting off the train, the friend says to William "don't you think my sister rode plenty of cowboys when she was here?" in an effort to get him to loosen up.
I didn't catch that, it kills my prediction dead.

Maybe in simple conversation she admits to him she had a great fucking time in the park and that's what spurs him back and to be reborn there.

Vice

Hahahaha.

Someone mentioned that she had been repaired so much she was practically all-new in the first episode. Perhaps she just had her parts replaced with fleshy ones over time.

Well heres hoping 1it stays good after season 3 and doesn't feel the need to kill off important characters for cheap thrills.

Thankfully theres no real source material to butcher besides the film which I haven't seen, so that's all good.
An ironic post, considering the death of important characters was taken straight from the source material you claim they have butchered. Since they stopped following the books they haven't killed even one important character(sorry
Hodor
) and even brought back to life a character the books killed

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Some questions I thought about today: How the hell do the guns actually work? Like we've seen a host shoot a guest and the bullets just dissipate on them, but then we've seen host bullets shatter windows etc and kill other hosts.

In the movie the guns have thermal detection that prevents them from firing at anything with body heat, i'd be willing to bet that the guns in the show have some sort of microprocessor that evaluates the trajectory of the bullet and if it is going to hit a human it somehow sends a signal to the bullet that causes it to lose all solidity/consistency, which is why when guests get shot there is still a "puff" around the area the bullet collides with.

About the guns. How I think the guns and bullets work is that the hosts have some inbuilt RFID tag or equivalent, which the guns can detect when a guest points it at one. And the bullets are made of a substance that can be solid or frangible powder. So if a host is shot at, the bullet shot out of the gun is solid. If a guest is shot at, the gun shoots a bullet that turns into weak powder. The guns can probably change the strength of the bullet fired via a special firing pin, an electric charge or magic. A Westworld gun can probably process the trajectory of whether a bullet will hit a guest or host on the fly. I imagine microprocessors in this future will be way smaller than nanometre size, so they could put one in the iron sight.

CloudWolf

I found the use of musical covers in the first episode to be cheesy and totally immersion breaking and I am glad that this was not a thing in episode 2 but it still felt pedestrian.
How did you not notice the awesome No Surprises cover in episode 2?

An ironic post, considering the death of important characters was taken straight from the source material you claim they have butchered. Since they stopped following the books they haven't killed even one important character(sorry
Hodor
) and even brought back to life a character the books killed
Uhm, they did kill a pretty important character who's not even close to dead in the books
Stannis

duckroll

Noticed that in the opening credits of episode 2, Ed Brubaker is a Supervising Producer, but there were no Supervising Producer credits in episode 1. I wonder if that's because the pilot was produced and shot before the rest of the team came on board?

Jarmel

Banned
1) The comments and such imply that there are family friendly experiences, like fishing and exploring the natural landscapes. Plus, it's all fake. Perhaps to them, it's like letting a kid watch an R-rated movie or M-rated game if they're mature enough.

I really don't buy this as you could have some guy raping a kid host on the streets. Even if you know it's not real, I have to imagine there are parental limits even in that sort of society.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I feel like my brow is perpetually furrowed with inquisitiveness throughout these two episodes, and I fucking love it. Like I'm taking in all these pieces of a puzzle and deciphering implications.

duckroll

I really don't buy this as you could have some guy raping a kid host on the streets. Even if you know it's not real, I have to imagine there are parental limits even in that sort of society.

The more I think about it the less likely I think this is. Westworld seems like an extremely curated attraction. They claim that there are 1200 guests or whatever. But where are they? If there are really no limits at all to what they can do, wouldn't the majority be in Sweetwater at most times? There should at least be hundreds in Sweetwater. But no, when the big event happens it's just the guy and his wife. Where are the other guests? Why isn't there a huge crowd in the town square watching the bandit action?

My conclusion is that once you enter the park, the various GMs and moderators supervise everything and try to split people up as much as possible into more isolated private experiences suited for what they prefer. So if you are visiting with a family, you will get a tailored experience without running into more objectable content unless you deliberately seek them out.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So which AI next is gonna get triggered by the Shakespeare quote?

CassSept

The more I think about it the less likely I think this is. Westworld seems like an extremely curated attraction. They claim that there are 1200 guests or whatever. But where are they? If there are really no limits at all to what they can do, wouldn't the majority be in Sweetwater at most times? There should at least be hundreds in Sweetwater. But no, when the big event happens it's just the guy and his wife. Where are the other guests? Why isn't there a huge crowd in the town square watching the bandit action?

My conclusion is that once you enter the park, the various GMs and moderators supervise everything and try to split people up as much as possible into more isolated private experiences suited for what they prefer. So if you are visiting with a family, you will get a tailored experience without running into more objectable content unless you deliberately seek them out.

Wouldn't that be 1200 guests split between different *worlds. The show had been completely focused on Westworld thus far and it certainly is a humongous undertaking but don't we know for a fact that it's not the only setting, that there are more theme parks ran by the company beyond Westworld? I swear I saw interviews mentioning Medieval settings and such, like in the original film, but I might be mixing things up?

Edit: OK, I might be completely wrong on that as we don't know where the shows will go in future seasons or how connected they might be to the first one.

duckroll

Wouldn't that be 1200 guests split between different *worlds. The show had been completely focused on Westworld thus far and it certainly is a humongous undertaking but don't we know for a fact that it's not the only setting, that there are more theme parks ran by the company beyond Westworld? I swear I saw interviews mentioning Medieval settings and such, like in the original film, but I might be mixing things up?

As far as the show goes right now, it is just Westworld. They talk about pulling 200 hosts and the writer complains about interconnected storylines. If they are part of other parks it wouldn't be an issue.

Jarmel

Banned

It seems more like the park, rightfully so, has a reputation for being 'guns and tits' so I don't imagine people bring their families often to a place like this. Not to mention due to how insanely expensive this is. That said, the focal point of Westworld looks to be Sweetwater so I have to imagine a lot of shit goes down there. Sweetwater doesn't look notably larger than a regular town back in the West so it seems like unless there are designated safe zones inside the town itself (sort of like some towns in a MMO), families could accidentally stumble on a scene. It is possible though that real minors have extremely restricted regions where they walk around.

dan2026

How is it that the psychotic dude in the hat can scalp that android and nobody back at base raised an eyebrow?

Did it bother nobody that the android came back to base sans scalp?

EatChildren

How is it that the psychotic dude in the hat can scalp that android and nobody back at base raised an eyebrow?

Did it bother nobody that the android came back to base sans scalp?

EDIT: If you didn't watch the second episode, don't read on.

Man in Black is a VIP who seemingly has borderline unlimited, restricted access to the park and has been a regular for some 30 years. He's monitored, but leeway is given, and there's probably no major rules against basic mutilation like that anyway.

What I want to know is why "These violent delights have violent ends" is a trigger phrase for the androids now and wasn't when the Peter was a crazy preacher.

Top Bottom