• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

As much as I think it'd be crazy that the show went there right away, I'm not really sure what else would be implied by all that.
Perhaps scalped her searching for more information on the game and maze. The show jumped from that moment, to after she was repaired at the start of the narrative loop. As we know, management doesn't care or mind that he's doing that.

Fluvian

Banned
1) The comments and such imply that there are family friendly experiences, like fishing and exploring the natural landscapes. Plus, it's all fake. Perhaps to them, it's like letting a kid watch an R-rated movie or M-rated game if they're mature enough.

2) I doubt the Man in Black raped her

3) The kid seemed to have some special connection to Ford, not a common host type around the park

It was heavily implied wasn't it? after killing Teddy he dragged her into that shed and shut the doors.

-griffy-

Banned
It was heavily implied wasn't it? after killing Teddy he dragged her into that shed and shut the doors.

And wasn't it underscored by the conversation of Bernard explaining to Dolores that the hosts couldn't harm the guests, and the guests could do whatever they wanted to the hosts and they were essentially powerless to stop it?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Perhaps scalped her searching for more information on the game and maze. The show jumped from that moment, to after she was repaired at the start of the narrative loop. As we know, management doesn't care or mind that he's doing that.

A fair point, it's possible whatever the MiB did to her in that barn set off the larger breakdown of the system and was an intentional misdirection...maybe? Would make a lot of sense from a narrative POV.

Either option to me is interesting, honestly.

Fluvian

Banned
tricking the audience broseph

I feel like I'm missing something, I only just joined this thread so if their was a theory about that meaning something different I missed it.
EDIT: Oh okay I've read a few comments and I actually understand what you guys mean now, Delores did start acting strange after that incident. Either way the MiB clearly has some affection for her, that scene where he picks the can up and tells her he has plans that night indicated he has some sort of history with her, possibly related to the fact that she's the oldest host in the park

I feel like I'm missing something, I only just joined this thread so if their was a theory about that meaning something different I missed it.
Basically playing with your expectations. Of course you'd assume that he raped her given those actions. But then you learn he has deeper motivations to what he's doing, so then it's possible that he didn't rape her but rather did something to further that quest.

Edit: his comments in the first encounter by the house state that they've had tons of past encounters

Palmer_v1

The suggestion is that the park is under full surveillance at all points when guests are concerned, and all hosts are subconsciously aware of guests around them. So presumably even if you shot a host while being a badass, if someone tries to stab you from behind they'll probably still be able to get up just to take the hit for you or whatever. It'll be like a zombie coming back to protect you maybe. Whatever. I'm sure Ford has thought of it!

That 3d simulation they have seems to let them view any thing they want live, so everything must be tracked to some degree at all times.

RubxQub

Basically playing with your expectations. Of course you'd assume that he raped her given those action. But then you learn he has deeper motivations to what he's doing, so then it's possible that he didn't rape her but rather did something to further that quest.

I think that no matter what, the show WANTS you to think he raped her. Whether he did or not is really the question.

What purpose would he have for dragging her into the barn and closing the door behind him? Maybe there are tools in there for scalping? Maybe he just wanted a comfy bed of hay to do his business on?

We don't have enough information to really make any conclusion. I just like that now I'm not even sure if my original assumption was accurate.

-griffy-

Banned
Basically playing with your expectations. Of course you'd assume that he raped her given those action. But then you learn he has deeper motivations to what he's doing, so then it's possible that he didn't rape her but rather did something to further that quest.

But there's also his line about not really getting enjoyment out of the park anymore since he sees the artifice, the only way now being to reduce the hosts to their base reactions like fear because that's when they seem most human. So...I mean, it seems in line with the character that he would do that to Dolores since it might be the only way he can...you know...get excited about it?

Like, it seems like he represents the absolute worst of the guests at this point, not seeing the hosts as anything but artificial means to an entirely separate end, who can be tortured and killed in any way to further his need for enjoyment or progress his alternate level of play, since he knows they won't remember it and will just be fixed for the next cycle. You gotta assume that now that they can start to remember all the heinous shit he's presumably done to so many of them it's gonna come back to bite him in the ass at some point.

Fluvian

Banned

Edit: his comments in the first encounter by the house state that they've had tons of past encounters.

I need to re-watch the first episode.

CloudWolf

I/m ignoring Sepinwall and
believe that the Will = MIB theory is true unless proven different. It just makes to much sense.

I/m ignoring Sepinwall and
believe that the Will = MIB theory is true unless proven different. It just makes to much sense.
Would a relatively known reviewer be foolish or selfish enough to confirm or deny speculation based on episodes no one else has seen yet? Considering he reviewed shows like Breaking Bad and Fringe, has he done that before?

RubxQub

...are those spoilers safe if I've seen both episodes or are those possible future-spoilers?

beat

Breaking Bad. the first five seasons of Supernatural...

Shows that are planned out from the start tend to be awesome narratively

How I Met Your Mother had a plan they were working to from the very beginning and that turned out terribly. That show, they should have recognized that things had changed over time -- the Mother was too adorable, the Robin/Ted thing had gone on too long -- and adjusted instead of sticking to their stupid plan.

I found the use of musical covers in the first episode to be cheesy and totally immersion breaking and I am glad that this was not a thing in episode 2 but it still felt pedestrian.

What immersion? That those weren't authentic Wild West songs? Yeah, no kidding! This is not the authentic Wild West!

...are those spoilers safe if I've seen both episodes or are those possible future-spoilers?
It's speculation based on the first two episodes, although the tagged text in that most recent post is about denying that speculation, so that one in particular might be spoilery to some

Fluvian

Banned
I'm up to the supposed rape scene in ep 1, theres a couple of things that in my opinion make it seem more likely that he raped her, at least that he did that plus whatever else he might have done.

One after he shoots Teddy he say's "It's good to be back, let's celebrate"

This might make sense in a new way if they show us what happened in the shed at some point

He also says this after smacking Delores "I didn't pay all this money because I want it easy, I want you to fight"

I have a feeling that second quote will also make sense in a new way if they ever expand on what happened in the shed.

oti

Banned
Wait, why is this thread full of spoiler tags already? There are just two episodes out, right? Did I miss something?

Fluvian

Banned
Wait, why is this thread full of spoiler tags already? There are just two episodes out, right? Did I miss something?

Possible theories on what's going to happen, some people don't like speculation on what is going to happen, some people much prefer discussion of what has happened.

I understand this a lot personally, actually managing to predict what's going to happen isn't really fun, being taken by surprise is.

KahooTs

Dolores says she'll do anything for Mib if he doesn't harm Teddy. Mib says I'm not paying all this money for easy, and kills Teddy. Dolores goes off and Mib drags her into the barn.

Does anyone have an actual explanation for this event and dialogue that doesn't include him raping her?

oti

Banned
Possible theories on what's going to happen, some people don't like speculation on what is going to happen, some people much prefer discussion of what has happened.

I understand this a lot personally, actually managing to predict what's going to happen isn't really fun, being taken by surprise is.

I see. Well, predicting the story correctly after just two episodes would be super disappointing. I get why people like to speculate and that's fun but I don't want to engage in this. I'd rather just enjoy the ride. Especially for something so fresh like this.

I just won't click on the tags. Speculate away friends. 😄

Dolores says she'll do anything for Mib if he doesn't harm Teddy. Mib says I'm not paying all this money for easy, and kills Teddy. Dolores goes off and Mib drags her into the barn.

Does anyone have an actual explanation for this event and dialogue that doesn't include him raping her?
He also kidnapped a host, drained it until it was "fatigued", and then scalped him. Without context, he's a monster doing it for the sick pleasure. But then we see he was searching for information about the greater purpose of Westworld.

So then one might imagine that he didn't rape her, but instead tortured/scalped/messed with/etc. her in his search for information about Westworld

His dialogue indicated he had done that same scenario many times, enough to see Teddy be updated with new behaviors and different behavior in the father and Dolores.

Fluvian

Banned
You know I forgot about this till right now, this morning in the Metro I read an interview with Ed Harris where he talked about how he views the MiB himself, it was quite interesting, he doesn't say anything shocking but you know there could always be a clue in it.

I tried to find it but the Metro's website is trash, if it wasn't so late I would have run out and got todays paper.

These are the two Ed Harris interviews that I've seen. The quotes are somewhat at odds with each other:

Parade, October 7th
Parade: Talk a little about the violence on Westworld, because your character “kills” a lot of other characters.

Ed Harris: He doesn’t “kill” anybody, because they [the robotic figures] all get re-fixed and sent back out. So in that way, I guess that made me feel like maybe the violence was acceptable on some level. It is a violent world. Everybody knows that. And this is a place where it’s safe and you’re not harming anybody by being violent. You get a chance to go there and get that kind of thing out of your system, hopefully.

I think when he initially came there, he didn’t come there to shoot up robotic people or have sex with robotic prostitutes. I don’t know why. I think he was probably more curious than anything when he first went there. I think he discovered this darker side of himself that he probably wasn’t even aware of on some level, but knew there was a real part of him and a real part of his nature. Every year, he goes back for a month and he purges it, so he doesn’t have to deal with it in the real world.
AP, September 29th:
"I like playing this guy," says Harris with a grin. "He's not trying to escape from anything, he's on a mission of discovery. He's not trying to forget his life, he's trying to learn more about himself — and about what's going on in the park, where he's been coming for 30 years."
In any case, there's supposedly a lot more backstory on him this season, and we'll see where that takes us.

-griffy-

Banned
He also kidnapped a host, drained it until it was "fatigued", and then scalped him. Without context, he's a monster doing it for the sick pleasure. But then we see he was searching for information about the greater purpose of Westworld.

I don't see that the latter necessarily precludes him from being a monster doing things for sick pleasure. To me, so far, he seems like a griefer figuring out exploits, gaming the system for his own personal fun beyond what is put in place by the designers, leaving a path of destruction in his wake, with no regard for how his actions affect other guests, and certainly no regard for how it affects the hosts. He's not playing the game the right way, in other words. He's like the worst online gamer you can encounter in a multiplayer match.

KahooTs

So then one might imagine that he didn't rape her, but instead tortured/scalped/messed with/etc. her in his search for information about Westworld

His dialogue indicated he had done that same scenario many times, enough to see Teddy be updated with new behaviors and different behavior in the father and Dolores.

Doesn't fit at all with the line for mine.

Fluvian

Banned
These are the two Ed Harris interviews that I've seen. The quotes are somewhat at odds with each other:

Parade, October 7thAP, September 29th:In any case, there's supposedly a lot more backstory on him this season, and we'll see where that takes us.

Thanks for posting these, that first one is essentially what I read in the paper today. Really interesting stuff, Harris doesn't seem to view him as a villain, now is this because Harris had to play him, it's common practice for actors playing the villain to justify what their character is doing, I mean nobody who's actually a villain thinks to themselves "i'm the villain" they usually have convoluted reasons to do what they do and a lot of the time think their doing something right/good.
Or you know Harris could very gently be hinting at the idea that the MiB is not a villain.

Fluvian

Banned
I'm thinking more and more about the scale of Westworld. In episode one, someone mentions that 10% of the population there is 200 hosts, that would make the total population only two thousand, way less than I would have guessed.

I suppose most of westworld is desert landscapes with towns spread out through it with the one the players arrive in acting as a central hub of sorts.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I guess not but I really do not care for the hosts that much. They die but come back the following day, mostly unchanged.

n83iCcs.jpg

RubxQub

I'm thinking more and more about the scale of Westworld. In episode one, someone mentions that 10% of the population there is 200 hosts, that would make the total population only two thousand, way less than I would have guessed.

I suppose most of westworld is desert landscapes with towns spread out through it with the one the players arrive in acting as a central hub of sorts.
Maybe I'm retarded but I thought 200 was roughly the total population? I'm having a hard time digging up that quote.

So why do think people this is in space? To me it seems to be underground or maybe on the bottom of the ocean. Or maybe just in the desert, which would make the most sense, financially.

Fluvian

Banned
Maybe I'm retarded but I thought 200 was roughly the total population? I'm having a hard time digging up that quote.

It's the scene where their all examining the Sherif after he broke down, it's something the writer guy says. Basically what happens is the boss woman says she wants the ten percent of updated hosts to be removed and the writer says something like you can't take 200 hosts out of westworld because it would fuck all of his plotlines.

Fluvian

Banned
Can somebody please tell me what song the piano is playing in ep 1 when their closing the saloon and the bartender is searching the....I got it, it's black hole sun by Sound garden.
Interesting choice, could mean something, the character the MiB scalps is in the scene.

RubxQub

it definitely was implied but it could simply be misdirection.

I'm also totally hoping they release another one early. this wait suuuucks.
Dude, we've been waiting for Season 3 of Rick and Morty for over a year...lol

The trick is to fill he void in your heart with MORE shows!

Fluvian

Banned
it definitely was implied but it could simply be misdirection.

I'm also totally hoping they release another one early. this wait suuuucks.

It would honestly suck less if they hadn't released it early, now everyone is going to expect that again and will be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

9 days for the next episode is brutal.

RubxQub

The next GoT for sure
I honestly think this show is a little too conceptual for mass appeal of that caliber. It isn't political theatre with a fantasy backdrop, it's just pure sci-fi.

I hope you're right though. I'd love to see this show have all the budget it needs to do what it wants.

Fluvian

Banned
The next GoT for sure

Well heres hoping it stays good after season 3 and doesn't feel the need to kill off important characters for cheap thrills.

Thankfully theres no real source material to butcher besides the film which I haven't seen, so that's all good.

Top Bottom