• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Khoryos

How is it that the psychotic dude in the hat can scalp that android and nobody back at base raised an eyebrow?

Did it bother nobody that the android came back to base sans scalp?

Scalping is an integral part of the popular image of the West, it probably happens all the time.

CHC

I feel like the policy if you just pay for what you damage. It should be, anyway. If you want to scalp the bots that's fine, but you pay the repair. Is there any indication of this? Seems an easy way to deal with the issue.....

So which AI next is gonna get triggered by the Shakespeare quote?

well either the other hooker or Teddy, since those are the only hosts we know in an intimate manner at this time.

You know, the more I think about this stuff the more I can appreciate Iceman's worries about the narrative. Not that I entirely agree with him, but I can understand that the narrative will get into trouble once the mystery hook falls away.

Scalping is an integral part of the popular image of the West, it probably happens all the time.

and ironically a white people thing in reality.

Ya the entire time I'm watching this show all I can think about is the logistics of running such a park. How to keep guests from hurting or interfering with each other, what to do with trolls or griefers, how do you get the guests to respond somewhat realistically to any sort of combat scenario when they could basically just stroll into the middle of an entire army and blow everyone's face off without fear, what do they do about people just constantly breaking the fourth wall around other guests in general?

Apparently we are going to see some violent native americans with this new questline, presumably with bows/arrows, knives and axes. I'm curious how a scenario like that works if they're supposed to be attacking a guest as part of a plotline. If a guest decides not to shoot the host who's running at him with a knife, does the host then just stand there harmlessly waving the knife in the guest's face until they do something?

What they do there is so.... complicated.

Sanjuro

I feel like the policy if you just pay for what you damage. It should be, anyway. If you want to scalp the bots that's fine, but you pay the repair. Is there any indication of this? Seems an easy way to deal with the issue.....

That would ruin the immersion.

There's not much to the film, so it would be hard to butcher. It is almost a straight-up action film.

Androids-WestWgunslingerbigsave3.jpg

The original movie is also much more satirical than the TV show and plays up things for laughs. It also puts more emphasis on the other theme parks as well, most notably Medieval World. But yeah, at its core it is much more action oriented with it's main villain. The TV show is taking a more serious route overall with emphasis on drama. But I do think it is doing a good job covering a lot of the points of the original film and expanding on them.

Definitely not butchering the original material at all, and is doing its own take on the original source material.

Though I do have to wonder if they will show any of the other theme parks in this series? They do have a lot of props and sets from Game of Thrones that could be worked into bits for a Medieval World.

the two colleagues in episode 2 do seem very similar to the two friends in the film.

I wonder if...

That particular storyline is supposed to be a flashback, as other people have suggested, to what are, broadly, the events of the film. I'm not sure if that makes the meek character TMIB though as people are saying. The two of them look and act nothing like one another.

dan2026

Did you watch the second episode?
Yes I did.

And they mention something like 'should we step in' when he shoots a ton of people.
They don't imply he has any special privileges or that they really know who he is.

It just seemed a like odd that a scalped android comes back and tech support doesn't even mention it.
Especially when there is some sort of super secret map or whatever hidden underneath.

Tankard

Yes I did.

And they mention something like 'should we step in' when he shoots a ton of people.
They don't imply he has any special privileges or that they really know who he is.

It just seemed a like odd that a scalped android comes back and tech support doesn't even mention it.
Especially when there is some sort of super secret map or whatever hidden underneath.

From what i understand so far they are aware of the things he is doing, they are just letting him do it for some reason we still don't know.

How is it that the psychotic dude in the hat can scalp that android and nobody back at base raised an eyebrow?

Did it bother nobody that the android came back to base sans scalp?
They noticed. They also are letting him do whatever he wants, for reasons yet to be specified, other than the broader "he's a VIP" fork

Flo_Evans

They noticed. They also are letting him do whatever he wants, for reasons yet to be specified, other than the broader "he's a VIP" fork

They let anybody do whatever they want. I took "slowing him down" as just having the hosts avoid him and stop trying to fight him.

They are not really comcerned with the fate of the machines, just the repair costs. Being a long time visitor they let him destroy as many hosts as he wants.

They may have even planted the deeper level and the maze just for him and be guiding him to it. I think it's part of Ford's new storyline. Remember his dialogue with the writer saying guests come to discover little details they think they are the only ones to notice.

Elandyll

Banned
Serious question, as I can't remember: have we seen two guests that did not know each other/ not came together at the same time in the park? (Aside from Ed Harris' character, whom I debate below)

The danger of guest interaction would be suppressed by having exclusive access during a given period of time (say 3 days), the cost being proportionally stupendous (my guess is around $5m/ person for a 3 day package).

Now my theory about Ed Harris:
I think he was actually involved in the creation of the park itself. He seems to know a heck about the inner workings of the park and the hosts for a guest, even for a 30 years vet. He seemed to be getting a lot of respect and leeway from one of the techs, while the apparently "newer" tech wanted to intervene. Rules seem different for him. He also imo is looking for the back entrance towards the host retirement storage facility... possibly to access a long retired host?
From there, I think he might originally have been brought as Hopkins' successor (who is now Bernard) or co-creator for Guests. Hopkins seem involved in the AI, maybe he was the scientist in charge of them looking human (he mentions if you look long enough you see the cracks).
He might have fallen hard for one of his own creations, but seeing him/her destroyed time and again could have brought him to the brink of insanity. From there, he resigned or managed to get himself fired with a nice severance package (possibly an all access guest pass as well) and has kept coming, but eventually they retired the model he fell for and that drove him over the hedge.

I also like the "Billy's story is a Ed Harris flashback happening live" theory, which would mean he was not involved in the park or Hosts creation, but a Guest who went through something horrible."

So the MiB is a 30 year vet. And didn't Bernard say that there hasn't been an incident in 30 years the first episode (when the woman responds "that means we're overdue")? I could be remembering that wrong . . .

But if that is correct it basically confirms two things because the two uses of 30 years cannot be a coincidence. First, the MiB was involved in that incident. Maybe he got injured, sued, and accepted a lifetime free pass to the park as a settlement. Who knows. Second, the McPoyle scenes are probably a flashback to that incident. It doesn't necessarily mean McPoyle is a younger Ed Harris, but I expect to see the same underlying incident (30 years ago) that connects all the storylines through his eyes.

PolishQ

So the MiB is a 30 year vet. And didn't Bernard say that there hasn't been an incident in 30 years the first episode (when the woman responds "that means we're overdue")? I could be remembering that wrong . . .

But if that is correct it basically confirms two things because the two uses of 30 years cannot be a coincidence. First, the MiB was involved in that incident. Maybe he got injured, sued, and accepted a lifetime free pass to the park as a settlement. Who knows. Second, the McPoyle scenes are probably a flashback to that incident. It doesn't necessarily mean McPoyle is a younger Ed Harris, but I expect to see the same underlying incident (30 years ago) that connects all the storylines through his eyes.

To be fair, it COULD just mean that the park is 30 years old, has never had an incident, and the MIB has been coming since the beginning.

To be fair, it COULD just mean that the park is 30 years old, has never had an incident, and the MIB has been coming since the beginning.

That's true, I just imagined it as being far older due to all the decommissioned models. I didn't really consider this.

My alternative theory is that MiB is the CEO and this is a season-long Undercover Boss special.

Fluvian

Banned
An ironic post, considering the death of important characters was taken straight from the source material you claim they have butchered. Since they stopped following the books they haven't killed even one important character(sorry
Hodor
) and even brought back to life a character the books killed

I didn't say anyone in particular, I didn't mean anything like the Red wedding that was great and needed to happen.
I would get into more detail but this is a westworld thread and we should talk about westworld

The critical failure implies that the park has been open for more than 30 years. Or else it would be "we never had a critical failure" rather than "there hasn't been a critical failure in 30 years" implying there was one before.

Fluvian

Banned

I believe the park is much older than 30 years old, we see an old host called old bill who is extremely robotic, the hosts in the supposed flashback scenes are not noticeably different from the ones we see in the present and are much better than old Bill.

I believe the park is much older than 30 years old, we see an old host called old bill who is extremely robotic, the hosts in the supposed flashback scenes are not noticeably different from the ones we see in the present and are much better than old Bill.
To put it in perspective, Disney World is 45 years old. And the showrunners have stated that Westworld is a Disney-esque cultural institution in this world

Ya the entire time I'm watching this show all I can think about is the logistics of running such a park. How to keep guests from hurting or interfering with each other, what to do with trolls or griefers, how do you get the guests to respond somewhat realistically to any sort of combat scenario when they could basically just stroll into the middle of an entire army and blow everyone's face off without fear, what do they do about people just constantly breaking the fourth wall around other guests in general?

Apparently we are going to see some violent native americans with this new questline, presumably with bows/arrows, knives and axes. I'm curious how a scenario like that works if they're supposed to be attacking a guest as part of a plotline. If a guest decides not to shoot the host who's running at him with a knife, does the host then just stand there harmlessly waving the knife in the guest's face until they do something?

What they do there is so.... complicated.

I'm really enjoying the show, but if be lying if I said that this stuff didn't bother me as well. Think about how annoying it would be if you were legitimately trying to roleplay in Westworld when some other guest goes on a murder spree around you.

Fluvian

Banned
To put it in perspective, Disney World is 45 years old. And the showrunners have stated that Westworld is a Disney-esque cultural institution in this world

Okay, so I'm gonna say westworld is 45 years old until I'm presented with evidence to the contrary. Theres always the chance that the incident that occurred 30 years ago was when the hosts went from being extremely robotic to more human like, I guess that doesn't 100% fit in with the flash back theory but I think it's worth considering.
If it really does turn out to be a flashback they will no doubt be showing us what the incident was.

DocSeuss

Personally, I think the MiB is
one of the machines, not a real person, and he wants to meet his maker, which is why he was at the farm that night. There's that line in the pilot that talks about how you can tell the early models by their hands, and he always wears gloves

I don't think they said particular. They just said the guest gets to do what they want.

They made it clear that he has special privilege.

Elandyll

Banned
Just a what if...

What if the "original" MiB, 30 years ago, was the one with the critical failure and he killed Harris' significant other with prejudice?
His goal could be to reach the place where said synth is stored to enact some kind of vengeance... and when he does we see it's Yul Brynner? (CGI or closely matched actor)?

Fluvian

Banned
Just a what if...

What if the "original" MiB, 30 years ago, was the one with the critical failure and he killed Harris' significant other with prejudice?
His goal could be to reach the place where said synth is stored to enact some kind of vengeance... and when he does we see it's Yul Brynner? (CGI or closely matched actor)?

The show is not connected to the movie by anything but it's name and basic concept, I think they take place in different universes, I image theres been a few references and will be some more but I don't think what happened in the movie happened in the shows timeline

My alternative theory is that MiB is the CEO and this is a season-long Undercover Boss special.

It was me austin.gif
Kind of want to see that too. As an actual Undercover Show Boss episode that is.

It's possible he's just testing the reveries thing though. I mean, clearly he already knows the plots and storylines, but the details still find a way to surprise him. And he's getting to new information (the maze), with the intent to 'never leave again', which is kind of a weird statement in itself. But the way he is accessing that information seems based on the knowledge that hosts may access information outside their usual scripts. It seems unlikely a random guest would just chance on that knowledge, even if he does know the 'easter eggs' of the game.
The cheap thing to do would be him being Ford's brother or something. Personally, I'm guessing the maze is meant for the hosts, as rat mazes as used for problem solving experiments. If I had to guess: he's going to get shot by Dolores, and she enters the maze.

PolishQ

The critical failure implies that the park has been open for more than 30 years. Or else it would be "we never had a critical failure" rather than "there hasn't been a critical failure in 30 years" implying there was one before.

At this point it could be one or the other. There's not enough evidence yet to say for certain.

Personally, if there had been a critical failure, I would think more people would be saying "we can't have a repeat of that critical failure" or "this is just like what happened 30 years ago" or being much more cautious in general.

They could have chosen the "hasn't been a critical failure in 30 years" line simply because it conveys the age of the park and sets up the comeback, "Then we're overdue."

Fluvian

Banned
Does anyone know what song the piano plays the first time the Madame gives her speech about the little voice in her head?.

The two from the previous episode were Black hole sun and Paint it black, I think the song's might mean something so i want to stay on top of that.

Khoryos

Does anyone know what song the piano plays the first time the Madame gives her speech about the little voice in her head?.

The two from the previous episode were Black hole sun and Paint it black, I think the song's might mean something so i want to stay on top of that.

No Surprises by Radiohead.

Flo_Evans

Now I am trying to figure out what the lyrics to no surprises could mean... and I have to admit I have no idea what the song is supposed to be about.

A heart that's full up like a landfill
A job that slowly kills you
Bruises that won't heal
You look so tired, unhappy
Bring down the government
They don't, they don't speak for us
I'll take a quiet life
A handshake of carbon monoxide

I think its more just the plight of the hosts, feeling helpless as the slowly realize what is going on.

They so far have all been kind of bleak and hopeless, wonder if they will roll some rage against the machine when things really start kicking off :)

Noticed that in the opening credits of episode 2, Ed Brubaker is a Supervising Producer, but there were no Supervising Producer credits in episode 1. I wonder if that's because the pilot was produced and shot before the rest of the team came on board?
Sounds like it based on this: Onion A|V Club interview with him from this morning:
AVC: How did you get involved with Westworld?

EB: Well, I knew [creator] Jonathan Nolan a little bit, I had dinner with him once, and ran into him at breakfast when they were working on the pilot. I ran into him at breakfast, and introduced myself to his wife Lisa, who I had read her script Reminiscence, which I thought was one of the best screenplays that was on the black list that year. They were just charming, and you know, I didn’t think I was going to get offered a job on that show—certainly it wasn’t from that meeting. I had some meetings at HBO about possibly working for them or maybe doing some development there, and my agent just called one day and said, “What do you think about the idea of maybe staffing on Westworld?” At that point, I was in the early stages of starting to develop something else on my own, and I was just like, “Are you serious?”

So I went in and met, and did the whole thing. You go in, and you meet with the showrunner, and you get interviewed, and you talk about stuff. It’s kind of just chatting, basically. And then like a week later, I got the call that I was being offered a job on the show. I was lucky—I was an outside-the-box hire. Because I had done a bunch of development, and written a few movie scripts that were in various stages of maybe getting made, and had a huge comic career behind me, I was able to come in at a place where it wasn’t like I was starting at staff writer. For me, the pilot is one of the best TV pilots that’s ever been made. Probably in the top five that I’ve ever seen in my life. It’s HBO. Jonah Nolan and Lisa Joy, who are just amazing writers. I just wanted to learn how really great TV gets made.

AVC: What were your duties on the show?

EB: I was a supervising producer.

AVC: What does that entail?

EB: Everybody in the writing room is basically working for the showrunners. The showrunners have an idea for the show—what they want it to be. And the other writers, you pitch ideas, maybe the showrunner has an idea, and you pitch ideas toward that idea to help build it. We were all working for Jonah and Lisa and it was their show and we were all a team and they were the captains. They know every other aspect of what’s going on in the show, and they’ve earned that. They put more hours in on the show than anybody does.

dan2026

So if the guests and the robos looks and act virtually identical, what's to stop the guests accidentally (or on purpose) hurting or killing each other?

Even if the guns don't work on humans(how?) what's to stop people stabbing and bludgening each other?

So if the guests and the robos looks and act virtually identical, what's to stop the guests accidentally (or on purpose) hurting or killing each other?

Even if the guns don't work on humans(how?) what's to stop people stabbing and bludgening each other?
The showrunners explained it in an EW interview:
EW: William is told he can’t get hurt in Westworld. But what about being hurt by another guests? What’s to keep a guest from stabbing him thinking he’s a robot? Is there a safe word?

Joy: We talked a lot about the rules of the park. A lot of it isn’t made explicit in the series but there’s something called the Good Samaritan Reflex within the hosts. So say you’re in a bar fight and some guy has a knife and maybe there’s even another guest that you didn’t know and he thinks you’re a host and he’s gonna stab you in the back. In that instance, a good Samaritan host would seamlessly intersect and get in that fight and literally take that knife for you. Now accidents can happen – falling off a cliff and things like that. But you know it’s mitigated somewhat because even the animals – aside from the flies – are hosts, so no horse is going to buck you to your death.

Idk. This show feels neat but average

The prostitute waking up and the doofus scientists reacting like morons seems like really flakey writing to me

Speaking of guns. Ed Harris' gun seems to be based on the LeMat Revolver.

The odd thing is he used the shotgun barrel as some high power bullet to shoot through the wall and hit that dude in the neck when it was real gun, the shotgun barrel was used for shot. I guess his shotgun shell could have been a slug. Or...the guy he shot was a human, and that center bullet is reserved for killing other guests and is a special bullet.

Jasoneyu

Apparently the bullets have velocity modifiers so I assume they slow down when they detect guests.

Source - Dalos terms and conditions (possible spoilers): https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/comments/560gz8/westworlds_full_terms_of_service_explains_how/

Flo_Evans

Speaking of guns. Ed Harris' gun seems to be based on the LeMat Revolver.

The odd thing is he used the shotgun barrel as some high power bullet to shoot through the wall and hit that dude in the neck when it was real gun, the shotgun barrel was used for shot. I guess his shotgun shell could have been a slug. Or...the guy he shot was a human, and that center bullet is reserved for killing other guests and is a special bullet.

That is cool, I was wondering what the big shell was, I had kind of assumed it was a battery (and the guns functioned like laser tag).

Palmer_v1

Sure, but whats to stop two people out in the wild killing each other without any robots around?

To be fair, that could happen at disneyland in the real world, but it seems like there wouldn't be any way to stop it in west world either

While it might not prevent the crime, they do seem to have surveilance of everything at all times, so you'd end up arrested, and I believe there's even a special clause that says you submit to their special law enforcement while in the park.

-griffy-

Banned
Sure, but whats to stop two people out in the wild killing each other without any robots around?

To be fair, that could happen at disneyland in the real world, but it seems like there wouldn't be any way to stop it in west world either

In my head I imagine that the guests kind of go through orientation together, and so are aware of who the other guests are to some extent. Then you'd hope it would be a quick discussion between the two guests before things escalate too severely, like just shouting "DUDE I'M REAL" before it goes bad. It seems like the guests can pretty easily pick out who the hosts are too (see the young kid pretty quickly picking up that Dolores is a host), so in this advanced future the differences that are imperceptible to us are more obvious to the more discerning eyes of the people inhabiting that world. And they are probably monitoring all the guests behind the scenes at all times anyways, so could intercept if something bad seems like it's going to happen. That doesn't mean accidents couldn't still happen obviously, but I'm okay with thinking there are just a bunch of ways to mitigate it due to basic logistical things combined with incredible technology that we can't even comprehend.

Top Bottom