• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

- GQ interview with Luke Hemsworth
Can you describe Stubbs as a character?

“He’s been around, he’s seen it all, and there’s not much that surprises him anymore. He has an extensive background with the military and that side of things. He tends to be pretty sardonic about it all. He’s able to find the humour in a lot of situations. That’s similar to me too, I think!”

Is he trustworthy?

“He is. He may not come across as trustworthy yet as his agenda is a little bit ambiguous. There are a lot of power struggles going on behind the scenes and it’s never quite clear where Stubbs’ allegiances lie, without giving too much away... It was fun to play with that sort of intel, with his kind of corporate espionage. He’s a bit fickle and a bit cynical but a bit of a mystery too. He’s always thinking about angles and always thinking about why people are doing things and why they want things. But actually I think he’s probably the most trustworthy person out of all of them!”
Can you pinpoint when Stubbs begins to sense something is not quite right?

“It all begins with the scene with Delores, where he’s asking her (Evan Rachel Wood) questions. That’s the beginning. He knows that maybe something is not right. There’s a tickle there, there’s a gut feeling. As the episodes go on that feeling grows. Maybe it’s one of those feelings that he feels he should have acted on at the beginning. Maybe there’s some regret there. But going forward, his actions are decisive.”

Does he think Delores is lying?

“I don’t think he thinks she’s lying; I think it’s that her response is different to what he’s used to from the other hosts. There’s a tickle. I can’t describe it any more than that. But then, he dismisses it…”

_Ryo_

HBO usually only airs one drama at a time. Part of the year is already wasted on GoT and now it looks like another chunk of every year will be wasted on this. I'd like to see HBO get back to making actually good dramas.

The Leftovers
Game of Thrones
Westworld

are all amazing shows, with The Leftovers being the best.

NoPiece

Westworld is all about cliches. It should be obvious by now.

Michael Crichton had some interesting thoughts on the intentional use of cliches in the original Westworld movie.

“Most of the situations in the film are clichés; they are incidents out of hundreds of old movies. I felt that they should be shot as clichés. This dictated a conventional treatment in the choice of lenses and the staging. There were a couple of peculiar corollaries to that decision. One was the use of arbitrary crane shots which appear throughout the picture—the camera moves up and down for no damned reason except that’s the way old movies were done. Another was the use of slow motion for shootouts because, in the years since Kurosawa, Penn and Peckinpah explored the technique, slow motion has become its own sort of cliché.”

silva1991

I just watched the first episode and holy shit I feel uneasy.

When the father talked about revenge and shit it scared the shit out of me

Will watch the second episode later.

Not sure if this has been posted already...

- A redditor found a gif with Dolores' narrative storyline template over on the delosincorporated website

SW7hwnA.gif

Nev

Banned
3rd episode was the weakest because it was the most inconsistent and the worst character of the show -boring pretty cowboy guy- was featured too much. The scene with Dr. Ford and Bernard redeemed it, basically. Anthony Hopkins is just incredible, it's a shame he will never know lol.

The robot-like suit woman -can't remember the name- didn't even appear for more than 1 minute in this episode unfortunately, she's one of my favorites so far.

I'm finding the show to be pretty fantastic overall. However, there is a lot of stuff that isn't explained -I hope it's because they'll explain it later. I don't know it this thread is spoiler free so I'll tag just in case.

Like, what's stopping asshole guests like Prince Caspian trying to fuck the AI over? If Dolores' father was so disrupted by that image, what wouldn't words do? I mean people could -and certainly would- tell every AI that they're robots and explain their whole situation to them only to see how they would react. Do they have a scripted response behavior for that? Do they just ignore it?

About the park itself, can more than one guest -or group of guests- be in the park at the same time? Do they "rent" the park for a few people before more can enter to get the whole "restarted" experience? Caspian and his friend basically slept there, does this mean no one else can get in? Doesn't seem very profitable to be honest.

Ed Harris character is there for what, days? weeks? No one seems to give a damn about him despite clearly acknowledging his presence in episode 2. Is it because he's Arnold or what?

The timeline is pretty messy.

KahooTs

What is this Elsie is a bot stuff? She's the most human out of everyone, keeps asking questions and doing shit that's not in her job description.

3rd episode was the weakest because it was the most inconsistent and the worst character of the show -boring pretty cowboy guy- was featured too much. The scene with Dr. Ford and Bernard redeemed it, basically. Anthony Hopkins is just incredible, it's a shame he will never know lol.

The robot-like suit woman -can't remember the name- didn't even appear for more than 1 minute in this episode unfortunately, she's one of my favorites so far.

I'm finding the show to be pretty fantastic overall. However, there is a lot of stuff that isn't explained -I hope it's because they'll explain it later. I don't know it this thread is spoiler free so I'll tag just in case.

Like, what's stopping asshole guests like Prince Caspian trying to fuck the AI over? If Dolores' father was so disrupted by that image, what wouldn't words do? I mean people could -and certainly would- tell every AI that they're robots and explain their whole situation to them only to see how they would react. Do they have a scripted response behavior for that? Do they just ignore it?

About the park itself, can more than one guest -or group of guests- be in the park at the same time? Do they "rent" the park for a few people before more can enter to get the whole "restarted" experience? Caspian and his friend basically slept there, does this mean no one else can get in? Doesn't seem very profitable to be honest.

Ed Harris character is there for what, days? weeks? No one seems to give a damn about him despite clearly acknowledging his presence in episode 2. Is it because he's Arnold or what?

The timeline is pretty messy.

earlier episode has mentioned that there are 1400 guests in the park. Guests stay for a minimum of 7 days and up to a maximum of 28 days depending on the packages they've purchased. Think of Westworld like Disneyland. It's huge. There are tons of things to do with multiple quests and storylines. Or you can do none of those and just drink and fuck whores all day.

Dmax3901

During the scene where Bernard is calling his wife (ex-wife?) and discussing their son a thought popped into my head: Are they on the fucking moon?

Trouble

Banned
During the scene where Bernard is calling his wife (ex-wife?) and discussing their son a thought popped into my head: Are they on the fucking moon?

Maybe they also have a disease that slows down their brains to 1/6th speed so that the gravity seems normal. Because that's a totally plausible plot point with no flaws whatsoever.

Westworld is underwater in a sea which is beneath the surface of mars which has since been sucked inside a massive black hole which is all just actually a VR simulation

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

They're probably on Earth. Or maybe a space station. I'd say Earth though, since they always make references to "this planet" and such. It also would need to have the actual sky visible so that they can see Orion's Belt, unless they fake that too in their dome or whatever if there is one.

The setting being on a terraformed planet or a space station seems like too much of a tech mismatch.

BSsBrolly

Banned
They're probably on Earth. Or maybe a space station. I'd say Earth though, since they always make references to "this planet" and such. It also would need to have the actual sky visible so that they can see Orion's Belt, unless they fake that too in their dome or whatever if there is one.

The setting being on a terraformed planet or a space station seems like too much of a tech mismatch.

I believe the view of the stars is the same no matter what planet you're on in the solar system.

Dmax3901

Maybe they also have a disease that slows down their brains to 1/6th speed so that the gravity seems normal. Because that's a totally plausible plot point with no flaws whatsoever.

Little hostile perhaps? They have robots almost indistinguishable from real humans and yet can't fake an atmosphere?

There would be 2.5s lag from Earth-->Moon and back

Future tech.

We got billionaires planning to colonise Mars IRL, moon's plausible imho.

EDIT: To clarify I'm not saying this is 100% the case just a thought I had.

Yeah, I'm not buying William=MiB if only for the fact that, besides both of them treating the Hosts as if they're actual human beings, they're nothing alike. William's kindhearted and noble, and doesn't seem to want to partake in hedonistic activities, while MiB is a sadist who, while thinking of them as actual humans, still knows that the Hosts will be wiped next time he sees them so he gleefully lets out his more savage instincts, hence his boredom since he's been doing it for 30 years, and his search for the grandest of all easter eggs at the park.

Faddy

Banned
Ok I've just watched the episode and had a quick read at the thread.

I want to try and break down what happens in the Dolores scene in the barn

IMO there are 3 scenes happening in the sequence and this explains the gun discrepancy when she fires twice without re-cocking (i don't really know about guns but have read about the error) and how it fortifies the William = MiB theory.

In the barn there are two instances of the bandit getting shot shown in quick succession both through the neck. And a third scene with MiB. This wipes out the gun issue and brings together the scene.

What is happening is we are seeing the beginning of the original incident. In the past she escapes the barn and rides away on the horse into William's camp. This is how the MiB knows what happened.

The scene with Ed Harris is him trying to recreate the incident, telling Dolores to go back to the beginning stimulating her into recreating this reaction to the event. He is successful in part.

In the present Dolores shoots back killing the bandit but she gets shot by the man on the porch and doesn't escape (are the robots better shots in the future?)

Burt

its a game of thrones prequel in westeros

ed harris is gonna use the maze to build the wall

teddy is white walker

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I speculated the moon near the start of this thread after ep 1. I think it's possible.
I started thinking the same thing after the security chief joked that the stray had gone "Moon mad", but then they had the whole evolution speech and kept saying "this planet" so I'm back on e Earth train.

I started thinking the same thing after the security chief joked that the stray had gone "Moon mad", but then they had the whole evolution speech and kept saying "this planet" so I'm back on e Earth train.

I thought the "moon mad" bit was just a cheeky way of saying lunatic, which originates from the idea changes in the moon can make you go mad.

I thought the "moon mad" bit was just a cheeky way of saying lunatic, which originates from the idea changes in the moon can make you go mad.

Westworld on earth could be 75 years in the future. It makes sense in terms of tech, and the way people see it as a new frontier for tech.

Westworld on the moon is like 10000 years away. It makes no sense... At that point no one would be impressed by the synths.They'd be impressed they terraformed the moon.

duckroll

HBO usually only airs one drama at a time. Part of the year is already wasted on GoT and now it looks like another chunk of every year will be wasted on this. I'd like to see HBO get back to making actually good dramas.

When was the last time HBO made a drama you liked? Serious question! :p

Brakke

Banned
Westworld on earth could be 75 years in the future. It makes sense in terms of tech, and the way people see it as a new frontier for tech.

Westworld on the moon is like 10000 years away. It makes no sense... At that point no one would be impressed by the synths.They'd be impressed they terraformed the moon.

This sort of logic doesn't hold at all. People today wouldn't be impressed by Westworld. Where's Pregnant Sonic Vored By Bayonetta World, that's what the people demand.

aaaaa0

Artificial gravity wouldn't be that hard compared to the rest of the requirements.

For a dome on the moon?! We don't even any theory yet as how to generate or manipulate gravity.

In a space station, yeah we could simulate gravity with centripetal force, but the station would have to be enormous to have the sightlines that are visible in Westworld. But if it was on a space station, why would we put it near the moon instead of just in Earth orbit.

Joni

For a dome on the moon?! We don't even any theory yet as how to generate or manipulate gravity.

In a space station, yeah we could simulate gravity with centripetal force, but the station would have to be enormous to have the sightlines that are visible in Westworld.
We are also not at the point where we can build a dome on the moon.

aaaaa0

We are also not at the point where we can build a dome on the moon.

A dome on the moon is plausible, if impossible for us to do today. Nothing about such a construction violates the laws of physics, and in principle, if we mastered space travel and construction, we could build such a thing.

But a dome on the moon that appears to have earthlike gravity, there's no known way for us to build that, and we have no inkling of how to even start building something like that.

So I think we can rule out the park being set on the moon, unless they DO have artificial gravity, in which case Westworld isn't set in a plausible future, and is more like Star Trek.

Last ep was not as strong as the others, but its clearly set the narrative for the rest of the season, I'm going to give the 1973 movie version a watch , so next episode i can see if i can spot any easter eggs :)

Brakke

Banned
Barnard just says it's hard to get a line to his wife because he's blowing her off.

He answers directly to the dude who runs the place. He could get a line if he wanted one.

aaaaa0

Wether it's the moon or not the fact that Barnard mentioned that I'd was difficult to communicate with his wife suggests something is going on.

I would suggest that bandwidth from wherever Westworld is to the outside world is intentionally very restricted, to prevent IP theft, recording, hacking, or escaping AIs (lol).

Brakke

Banned
We see for the first time Bernard wanting to talk about his son and then he's immediately on the phone with his wife.

Y'all are so invested in the sci-fi bullshit you're missing obvious character development.

SURGEdude

Weakest episode so far but still quite good. I liked that we started to see the pacing pick up. Not that the show was ever poorly paced, but it did feel like the right place to take a narrative step forward.

That intro song has really grown on me as well. It evokes the kind of feelings that we experience in the best scenes so far. Uneasy, yet almost mechanically rhythmic and in a way quite simple. Simple things that are complex upon further examination.

Joni

A dome on the moon is plausible, if impossible for us to do today. Nothing about such a construction violates the laws of physics, and in principle, if we mastered space travel and construction, we could build such a thing.
The law of physics already shows that we need an enormous object in the first place to create artificial gravity without impacting the life of the people on board. So while we could theoretically cause gravity on the ISS, it would be way too small to actually do it. To do it without showing people being impacted, it would have to be moon-like size.

Top Bottom