• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

okdakor

Let's say we're able to create the gigantic dome on the moon, then what ? We bring real canyons and trees from earth ? Or we just use the moon with painted rocks and plastic plants ?

I don't think Westworld is located in some space station or on the moon, because then you'll have to consider gravity. I think they've built a dome inside a vast underground salt mine (think Portal). The dome is located underground so it cannot be affected by outside weather and controlling people entering/exiting the park would be easier from a security standpoint.

I will use spoiler tags as I am fairly confident about this theory.

Westworld is in
my butt.
Would you let someone pay $40k a day for a week to play cowboy in
your butt
?

I personally think Westworld is located
in Utah. Like, Delos bought half of Utah. Westworld is treated like doing a tour of duty on another planet because no one wants to live in Utah.

duckroll

Westworld is a space station orbiting Earth. The gravity problem has already been solved in the prequel - Interstellar. In the third season, the androids will hijack ship to head towards the new colony being established at the end of Interstellar, so they can beat humanity at colonizing a new Earth.

- In season 4, the androids form The Principality of Zeon. After an internal coup, they militarise and create large pilotable robots called Mobile Suits.
- Season 5 is the One Year War.

TTG

I mean it, Newsroom is a hell of a lot more charming
and funny.
I don't think I've laughed out loud once in 3 hours of Westworld.

Peru

Newsroom was unintentionally funny but only for a few minutes before the idiocy of the dialogue became familiar.

Would you let someone pay $40k a day for a week to play cowboy in
your butt
?

I personally think Westworld is located
in Utah. Like, Delos bought half of Utah. Westworld is treated like doing a tour of duty on another planet because no one wants to live in Utah.

I agree. It's Definitely on earth.

Bluth54

What if we just cancel it right now and bring back Newsroom?

I would like to see the Newsroom come back for one season and cover the Trump campaign but I'm sure that will never happen. It would have to focus on the Newsroom stuff and not the stupid love drama between the characters through.

Solo

Screenshot-10-17-16-9-34-AM.jpeg

ZOONAMI

During the scene where Bernard is calling his wife (ex-wife?) and discussing their son a thought popped into my head: Are they on the fucking moon?

Ah yeah I guess this kind of kills the Bernard host theory, but maybe not. She might just be an actress or an AI Bernard is talking to.

kami_sama

One thing against the moon theory is that the gravity seems to be around the same as earth. But in reality it is around seven times less. And I don't think they have a way to make artificial gravity as such great scales.

ZOONAMI

One thing against the moon theory is that the gravity seems to be around the same as earth. But in reality it is around seven times less. And I don't think they have a way to make artificial gravity as such great scales.

Forgive my ignorance, but could weight have any impact on gravity? Like if all the clothes they are wearing are like 1000lbs?

Based on a bit of reading, yes it seems like you could wear heavy clothing to offset gravity differences. The people working there are likely on "tours" to make sure they don't have prolonged health effects from the reduced gravity.

The custom wardrobes make some sense then too, but then if you're naked you would feel the difference and float around a bit. Maybe They inject the guests with some kind of heavy substance into their bloodstream, that would dissipate based on dosage for your intended length of stay.

Burt

I thought it was hilarious in the last episode when rifle-woman-guest freaked out so hard when the sheriff got his throat cut by the Wyatt followers.

Suck on that Lee Sizemore, you talentless hack.

Moofers

I love the show and don't understand why people who hate it keep coming into this thread. Discussion is welcome of course, but if you're just going to moan and say how much you don't like it, then make your one post and move on.

I've had the intro music stuck in my head for two days now. Can't wait for the next episode! My friend thinks time-travel plays into it somehow but I don't see it. That feels like a wild guess.

The place Westworld is located should be very restrict to enter. Imagine that the only living things outside the visitors are the flies. How they keep other life forms from entering the park? Snakes, for instance. A guest would think it is safe to interact with any animal, including snakes, if they think it is a controlled envirounment (think Disney parks). So they could get hurt if real animals are inside the park. If it is located in a desert, how they keep life outside? Must be a dome or another thing.

ZOONAMI

The place Westworld is located should be very restrict to enter. Imagine that the only living things outside the visitors are the flies. How they keep other life forms from entering the park? Snakes, for instance. A guest would think it is safe to interact with any animal, including snakes, if they think it is a controlled envirounment (think Disney parks). So they could get hurt if real animals are inside the park. If it is located in a desert, how they keep life outside? Must be a dome or another thing.

Yeah I actually thought it was weird to have fake horses and animals. Like wouldn't it be easier to have real horses and animals in the park?

Guests are signing a waiver so I would think the existence of animals is ok. It would also make going out of the town would be even more dangerous if there were real snakes, mountain lions, deer, etc. And would be a destination for hunters. Everyone should just have to take some anti-venom with them if they are going out into the wild.

I guess this may make it unnappealing for some people and introduce real ammunition for hunting, so yeah probably not a good idea.

The horses though I feel like should just be real horses. Even if they are somewhere very remote I would think real horses would be much cheaper than fake ones.

Another thought - do we actually know that the flies are even real? I vaguely remember some dialog about the flies being around but don't know if it excluded the possibility that the flies are fake. Like why the hell are there even flies? I could see a lot of people saying fuck that I'm not even going there's a shit ton of flies. And if there are real flies, you can probably assume there are other bugs around too, as if fly larvae got in I don't see how other kinds of bugs wouldn't get in.

Yeah I actually thought it was weird to have fake horses and animals. Like wouldn't it be easier to have real horses and animals in the park?

Guests are signing a waiver so I would think the existence of animals is ok. It would also make going out of the town would be even more dangerous if there were real snakes, mountain lions, deer, etc. And would be a destination for hunters. Everyone should just have to take some anti-venom with them if they are going out into the wild.

I guess this may make it unnappealing for some people and introduce real ammunition for hunting, so yeah probably not a good idea.

The horses though I feel like should just be real horses. Even if they are somewhere very remote I would think real horses would be much cheaper than fake ones.

the show takes place in a nondescript timeline. They've had pretty impressive android technology for at least 30 years, so this could be a very distant future. For all we know, these animals can be very endangered or even extinct.

ZOONAMI

the show takes place in a nondescript timeline. They've had pretty impressive android technology for at least 30 years, so this could be a very distant future. For all we know, these animals can be very endangered or even extinct.

Well, if the synth technology is this advanced I would also think cloning is pretty advanced, unless it was outlawed by politics. But I don't really see why you would outlaw cloning and allow this, as it's nearly the same thing.

So, the real question is, why not clones? But given everything is made with what seems to be biological materials, and it's just the brain/programming that isn't organic, they sort of are cloning outside of the brain.

Do we know if the hosts brains are organic or is it circuitry?

If they are organic brains then I don't see how they could possibly think they could control everything through programming, as we're finding out, they aren't able to.

Yes, the comment in the first episode from the guy saying he took his family here to go fishing makes me think that the normal world is a fucked-up industrial nightmare, and this "natural" wilderness where you can enjoy the outdoors and whatnot is a luxury. What else would make it worth paying so much to come to a park like this to do something as seemingly mundane as fishing

Faddy

Banned

Another thought - do we actually know that the flies are even real? I vaguely remember some dialog about the flies being around but don't know if it excluded the possibility that the flies are fake. Like why the hell are there even flies? I could see a lot of people saying fuck that I'm not even going there's a shit ton of flies. And if there are real flies, you can probably assume there are other bugs around too, as if fly larvae got in I don't see how other kinds of bugs wouldn't get in.

If they had real animals they would need to take care of them with either humans or dedicated robots. Feeding, cleaning, disposing of corpses. They would need to train the horses. Animal husbandry is not easy.

It simplifies things to make them robots. But why don't they have talking horses?

Westworld is a space station orbiting Earth. The gravity problem has already been solved in the prequel - Interstellar. In the third season, the androids will hijack ship to head towards the new colony being established at the end of Interstellar, so they can beat humanity at colonizing a new Earth.

The end is Dolores and Teddy falling into a black hole and experiencing true love for the first time

Joni

Well, if the synth technology is this advanced I would also think cloning is pretty advanced, unless it was outlawed by politics. But I don't really see why you would outlaw cloning and allow this, as it's nearly the same thing.

So, the real question is, why not clones? But given everything is made with what seems to be biological materials, and it's just the brain/programming that isn't organic, they sort of are cloning outside of the brain.

Do we know if the hosts brains are organic or is it circuitry?

If they are organic brains then I don't see how they could possibly think they could control everything through programming, as we're finding out, they aren't able to.
Clones are real people. How does inheritance work, debts, who can clone, what are the ethical rules behind it,... These are just robots, mindless ones programmed to react certain ways. They are as much alive as Siri. That is the type of reasoning you will see in our world.

Purkake4

Banned
Not that I know any other but I like "Decoding Westworld" by Joanna Robinson and David Chen.
Hmm, that one seems decent. I like ones where they discuss both the good and bad. I still remember one Heroes podcast back in the day where they were in total denial about the show falling off a cliff, pissed me off.

Faddy

Banned
Not that I know any other but I like "Decoding Westworld" by Joanna Robinson and David Chen.

I listened to that and thought it was very good. Both are professional TV reviewers and apparently do several other podcasts on different tv shows.

On the topic of outside media is there a good character guide out there that is listing the roles of each host?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I listened to that and thought it was very good. Both are professional TV reviewers and apparently do several other podcasts on different tv shows.

On the topic of outside media is there a good character guide out there that is listing the roles of each host?

We really don't know that much - although we learned quite a bit about some of the programming philosophy with Teddy - his role is either to get killed by the Guests if they want to be villains or lead the guests towards interacting with Dolores (also by getting killed).

It seems mostly like its organized into questlines in which the "NPCs" improvise their reactions according to their programming.

I rather wonder what happens when a Guest goes full Grand Theft Auto and tries to go for 5-star wanted rating and just blows away everyone in sight. You would think it would ruin the game for all the other players.

So, the real question is, why not clones?

My guess is: for the safety of the guests. How many guests in that future would know how to ride a real horse (or even have seen a real horse in their lives) no matter how docile it could be? The park management wants to have control about everything, every experience, and make it safe for the guests. Think DisneyWorld in a bigger scale. Westworld is sort a Pirates of the Caribbean ride with all those bots in a more technologic future.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Although I'm still not on board with the William=MiB theory, there still are a lot of hints (red herrings?) related to flashbacks and that sort of stuff.

I'm going to assume the voices the hosts hear (that aren't clearly Bernard or someone else) is related to what Ford said in episode 3 about hearing the voice of god as a bootstrap to unlocking true consciousness. This would be examples like "kill him" when Dolores shoots that bandit in the shed.

I'm going to assume that it might be Arnold's voice, or something related to Arnold. The whole mystery about what happened to Arnold is probably heavily connected to the mystery about the critical failure in the park that happened 30 years ago.

In the beginning of episode 2, Dolores hears that voice again, and it says "Do you remember", at which point it cuts immediately to William's entrance into the Westworld facilities. The discussion about the logos also hints that this could be in the past and part of a memory.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I thought the "moon mad" bit was just a cheeky way of saying lunatic, which originates from the idea changes in the moon can make you go mad.

It is, and remember, that Bernard actually said the word "lunatic" in his discussion with Ford about hearing voices. Probably not a coincidence.

I wonder if the hosts are forced to do whatever the guests want. It felt like that in the first episode when those guests had Teddy take them to a whorehouse. I'm just wondering if you could tell a host to do something crazy and they're "forced" to do it.

For example, could a host prostitute turn down a guest if they wanted?

KorrZ

PETA threw a fit and they decided to use robot animals. Obviously!

That was pretty much my thought lol. People come to Westworld to live out their fantasies without any consequences. Having them potentially murdering real animals could kind of ruin that for some people.

Also having to constantly replace real animals that get killed is probably more expensive than building them once and repairing.

When are we going to hear about a renewal for a 2nd season? It seems like it's going to happen based on the ratings and general consensus of people watching the show.

GofT was renewed for a 2nd season after its first episode.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/HBO-Has-Already-Renewed-Game-Thrones-Second-Season-31413.html

Maybe they're just waiting a bit longer this time after backtracking on the Vinyl renewal.

Top Bottom