• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

duckroll

Did anyone see the Episode 4 preview?
There's this shot at the end which looks a hell lot like Avatar lol. Huge construction/mining rig re-sculpting the environment. Lol.

NoPiece

I just started watching PoI but man the first three episodes are so "CBS" if you know what I mean.

I'm 9 episodes in and it's just a well done procedural, Caveziel seems off but maybe that's on purpose.

Does it seem like there is an interesting overall arc building up? I'm not a fan of the story/monster/murder of the week format unless it is developing something bigger overall.

Chumley

Banned
Loved everything in ep 3 except for budget hemsworth and ipad girl doing dumb shit. Y'all on some Mr. Robot shit with the William = MiB theories though, I don't think this show is structured to fuck around with the audience like that.

The first Season is the weakest season by far and only gets really good around the end. It's a lot better after the second season.

I'm going to try to stick it out and make it to season two where it gets better but I kind of wish there was a highlights slash recap video.

duckroll

So it's pretty clear that Dolores is blacking out and doing things, yes? She rediscovered the gun in her dresser, had a flashback to the barn, and moved it to the barn because she had a premonition that there is danger there.

Given the discussion about bicameral consciousness, I wonder if the "kill him!" voice is also, technically, her own brain telling her what to do.

I don't think that's what happened. The gun looks identical so it can be confusing, but I think the gun is a trigger for something else. It just made her think and remember. Then she asks Teddy for shooting lessons (which seems to be an unscripted development) but finds that she doesn't have the authorization code to use weapons (but yet she can hold the gun at all, unlike the dudes who couldn't even touch the axe?), and at the end when under threat deeper parts of her consciousness triggers allowing her to shoot the guy. The gun she uses at the end is taken from the dude's belt I believe, not hidden in the hay. She grabbed it from him when he threw her down.

I think there's unintended misdirection because we're reading a bit too much into some of the sequencing, expecting certain things so we see what we want to see, but if we distance from that, it might just simply be a case that the episode was about Dolores slowly subverting her surface programming, and the buried gun suggests some secret in the past, possibly she was another character once, and one who had experience in combat.

The episode title "The Stray" could have a double meaning, the obvious one being the stray host they were tracking down, but it is clear Dolores herself is also a Stray that no one is aware of.

I'm going to try to stick it out and make it to season two where it gets better but I kind of wish there was a highlights slash recap video.

Having the same problem. I really want to like it but it's just so trite. The procedural thing bores me to death. Fool me once with arrow shame on you. Fool me twice with PoI shame on me lol

If I felt like I could catch up adequately with a recap I would just move on to the second season

TTG

Teddy was swatting at flies.

Is he shown squashing a fly or is he just waving his arms around? Stupid distinction, but I don't think Teddy has gone off script yet, I doubt they would want to make his first aberrant act so obscure(I missed it entirely).

MoeDabs

Is he shown squashing a fly or is he just waving his arms around? Stupid distinction, but I don't think Teddy has gone off script yet, I doubt they would want to make his first aberrant act so obscure(I missed it entirely).

He just waves his hand at one. Doesn't show him killing it.

Alpende

I bet all you people buying the William == MiB theory bought in to Cleganebowl too. :p

Wasn't the William = MiB theory debunked by a TV critic?

Anyway, I liked the episode even though I have no real idea what's going on other than the fact that the hosts are going off script. I also like how they make me feel empathy toward robots and despise some of the guests in the park, really well done.

I also had the feeling Ford knew about Bernard's conversations with Dolores. Can't wait for next week.

duckroll

William might or might not be MIB but how much of what we see is the present and how much is the past is very much up for debate. Something very unusual is happening that is clearly intentional. Dolores' memories and her perception of reality is not reliable. How much of what happens from the moment she arrives home at night is actual reality and how much of it was her memories triggering is very questionable.

The logo discrepancy can no longer be explained as a production error. We see the "old" logo in cold storage, in the Arnold flashbacks, and in the entrance scenes with William. We see the "new" logo everywhere on promo materials, on the title, in the presentation of the new storyline, and on the pillars of elevator level. Unless the argument is that they've been making production gaffs for two episodes in a row and they just happen to be in the scenes which are in the past? That would be a really odd accidental mistake.

Do we know if the gun Dolores 'finds' in the dirt in episode 2 is the same gun she takes from the host bandit at the end of episode 3. Because if so, that would give us some clues about the order the events are happening in.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Is Person of Interest worth watching? I'm a fan of Jonathan Nolan's film writing, and loving Westworld so far, but know absolutely nothing about Person of Interest.

If you can take a first season that's pretty procedural (eventually it turns more serialized without you noticing), and you have liked the ideas that Westworld has presented about AI, you might like the show. Also, take in account that Nolan only wrote a handful of episodes. He does say in interviews that due to being executive producer on the show (and showrunner) he pretty much helped with almost all episodes. You can see the same care for topics like surveillance and AI in that show, just like Westworld. Obviously POI never had the same budget that Westworld has, but it does what it does pretty well.

It's one of my favorites of all time, and Jonathan Nolan directed one of the best episodes in the series that is in season 2. If you have the time definitely check it out. There's also a GAF thread.

Double D

Reading through the last couple of pages. Gonna sound like a massive dumbass here but, guys, who the heck is William? Sitting here thinking about it and realizing I can remember the names of like maybe 5 characters on the show, lol.

Pooya

I'm curious how many seasons this can go for, how much you can do with this set up before it falls apart or get repetitive? I give them 20 episodes/2 seasons. It's going to be interesting.

Loved everything in ep 3 except for budget hemsworth and ipad girl doing dumb shit. Y'all on some Mr. Robot shit with the William = MiB theories though, I don't think this show is structured to fuck around with the audience like that.

Your last statement is both true and false, which is why I'm 99% sure William is the MiB.

The glimpses we get of those two fucking around are so fleeting and disconnected from everything else that is happening that the only logical sense is that it's happening in a completely different time frame. The only other logical explanation is just shitty editing.

I don't think that in and of itself will be the big twist though. It will be part of a bigger twist that will reveal that a lot more has been going on than we think based on a lot of this stuff were seeing having already happened 30 years ago.

Kayhan

We all agree Bernard is a replicant host, right?

Ford transferred his old partners ideas/consciousness to a host body to have him around. Maybe to let "Bernard" test out the Bicarmel Mind idea on Dolores.

The dead son is all implanted memories.

"They need a backstory to keep them anchored"

Do we know if the gun Dolores 'finds' in the dirt in episode 2 is the same gun she takes from the host bandit at the end of episode 3. Because if so, that would give us some clues about the order the events are happening in.

Good spot. Seems entirely reasonable given she wouldn't know what to do with the gun after she killed someone with it. But whose gun is the one in the dresser?

Corpekata

Banned
If ever there was a show "structured like that" it would be one where half the cast play ageless robots and clearly plays with time already.

Good spot. Seems entirely reasonable given she wouldn't know what to do with the gun after she killed someone with it. But whose gun is the one in the dresser?

So my little theory (which is probably way out of line) is...

Dolores takes the gun at the farm, kills the bandit with it in the barn, meets up with William and his pal, at some point buries the gun in the earth

~ time passes ~

In another loop, Dolores remembers she hid the gun in a previous loop, digs it up and then puts it in the drawer.

If that was true, it would mean that she has *gone wrong* twice. But why does the gun disappear from the drawer?

Neoweee

William might or might not be MIB but how much of what we see is the present and how much is the past is very much up for debate. Something very unusual is happening that is clearly intentional. Dolores' memories and her perception of reality is not reliable. How much of what happens from the moment she arrives home at night is actual reality and how much of it was her memories triggering is very questionable.

The logo discrepancy can no longer be explained as a production error. We see the "old" logo in cold storage, in the Arnold flashbacks, and in the entrance scenes with William. We see the "new" logo everywhere on promo materials, on the title, in the presentation of the new storyline, and on the pillars of elevator level. Unless the argument is that they've been making production gaffs for two episodes in a row and they just happen to be in the scenes which are in the past? That would be a really odd accidental mistake.

The partitioning of plots also very obvious, with the Hosts and quest chains William interacts being almost mutually exclusive from the ones we've seen other characters interact with. It's really only Dolores and the non-Maeve prostitute that have overlapped between the two, right?

Corpekata

Banned
The partitioning of plots also very obvious, with the Hosts and quest chains William interacts being almost mutually exclusive from the ones we've seen other characters interact with. It's really only Dolores and the non-Maeve prostitute that have overlapped between the two, right?

Yeah, and I don't think we've ever seen them actually go in the whorehouse main entrance (they're just magically up stairs) even though his friend is supposed to be in there all the time and it's a frequent set.

There has to be something up, shows don't write ways for their cast to not interact when they can and naturally should be (well, some do, but it's usually long running shows where the stars hate each other and wield considerable power). There's no reason for instance, for that "Will rejects whore" scene to not have been with Thandie Newton's character in the second episode given it would have lined up so perfectly with her story about not be able to convince customers.

I guess there is a small chance their weird sequestering might be due to the rewrites the show allegedly went through and maybe not all of the cast were available, but that's a big stretch.

ZOONAMI

Wasn't the William = MiB theory debunked by a TV critic?

Anyway, I liked the episode even though I have no real idea what's going on other than the fact that the hosts are going off script. I also like how they make me feel empathy toward robots and despise some of the guests in the park, really well done.

I also had the feeling Ford knew about Bernard's conversations with Dolores. Can't wait for next week.

Hitfix reviewer Alan Sepinwall did debunk it.

Spoiler mib link:
https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/785474930775175170

ultron87

It was a decent theory but the show trying to explain that the end of Ep. 3 was a different time Dolores wandered about at night, and not the continuation of the scene it showed us minutes before, feels like it'd be the most stilted thing ever. They already gave us a very clear through line from Teddy being off on his new backstory quest -> Dolores defending herself and riding off alone -> her showing up at William's camp. Doing a "reveal" that that wasn't the case would feel like a huge cheat.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
We're the robots and this show doesn't even exist.

No. We're part of a virtual simulation created by humans living in what we think of as the future (but is really their present). In this virtual simulation we've created a fictitious television show to about humans who create humanoid sentient robots to entertain guests in an interactive simulation of the wild west that is broadcast on two dimensional viewing panels to entertain us and distract us from the mundane parts of the virtual simulation we exist within. Even though we're not real we understand the concept of love because love is the one thing that transcends time and space.

Top Bottom