• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What 802.11G router/AP and PCI adapter should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveH

I bought a Thinkpad T42 with built in B/G wireless (annoyingly, I couldn't customize the model I wanted to have A/B/G without getting both mini-PCI cards). I'm currently using a Netgear wireless router with 802.11a and D-Link PCI wireless adapters for the other two notebooks in the house.

I'd like to add 802.11g wireless to the WLAN without spending too much, is it enough to just buy an access point? Any recommended brands/models? Also, is the G standard backwards compatible with A (I'm pretty sure it is with B)? The other two notebooks can stay on A if possible....

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
G is only backward compatible w/ 802.11b IIRC. 802.11a is incompatible w/ both 'b' and 'g' but can coexist on the same device.

Just get a 54G access point.

ThinkPads are the best btw. X series for me.

suikodan

I bought a Linksys Wireless router and a Microsoft USB Wireless adapter.

I am satisfied with both of them, they work well.

Never had any problems with Linksys routers.

Phoenix

Netgear baby. I'll give you either of the 2 Linksys WRT54Gs I've gone through. The first one died without reason and Linksys customer support hell was taking too long to resolve the issue (and in the end they never did) so I picked up another one. This one still works but I have a LARGE house and the 54Gs range is not all there. At that point I switched brands over to netgear - a WGT624 specifically. It supports 108Mb/s if you netgear's wireless ethernet card (special hardware burst mode). The range on it also covered my entire home and got into rooms I was previously using powerline ethernet for. While I still use powerline for some things, it is more out of convenience (some machines are wireless equipped) than anything else.

I've got a D-Link Extreme G router, with speeds up to 108mbps. It's worked great for me so far, although there have been like two occasions where I've had to unplug the router because my laptop wasn't connecting. Really easy to set up, too. I hear there's a cheap bundle (like sub-100 bucks) that comes with the router and one PCI adapter. I got mine at Costco, which came with the router and a PCMCIA card for $110 with a $10 mail-in rebate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom