• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What, are you listening to?

kevboard

A 19th century japanese literary master, a crazy Buddhist monk and a Yakuza member from the 80s walk into a recording studio...

here's the punchline:

RAÏSanÏa

9i0luwL.jpeg

Audiophile

Cat and a beer (first one in a couple months) to my left, laptop/hdd and fiio dac/cayin c5 headphone amp to my right, hot water bottle at my feet. This sounds sooooo good...

6EYx41725994507.jpg

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Finally getting around to listening to this.
The title of the song immediately caught my attention. Lyricism is a reason why I find Mercury a better planetary correspondence for Lucifer in the modern age than Venus. If compartmentalizing in that sense.
Harmonious with the appearance of the planet in the east with the heliacal rising of Regulus. The opening Coup de grace having a sidereal meaning for me.

kevboard

this song was written in 2019, was supposed to release on their album in 2020 but they removed it from that album because they thought it could come across wrong lol

because it's about a virus that was at first just "a rumour from the east" and which eventually wipes out humanity 😭

they eventually released it on a collab album they made after the Corona panic was winding down again

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
i will admit i hadn't heard this song until i watched the live footage of their show the other day with Emily. comments were saying how difficult it was because of the scream.

DVDA live performance back in 2000 (Matt Stone and Trey Parker)…it would have been great if they continued it, but they always seemed too busy with South Park:

This is the bootleg:

This is from the soundboard but it’s cut-off at the beginning:

Last edited:

Reminds me of Holst a bit, and very unique for the time:

We tend to think of ‘classical music’ as basically one thing that encompasses everything from 1800’s and before that is done with an orchestra, but the horn and valve system wasn’t created till 1815, so all of those big brass sections didn’t become a big thing until then (they were used before that but very limitedly ie. just one note per horn).

Before that you needed a choir to get loud like with Motzart’s louder pieces (all string, reed, and choir):

The composers later around the mid 1800’s though; they basically had a moment where suddenly they have a new set of instruments, that can basically blow the roof off in terms of sound while keeping the note; A french horn at full blast close up will literally leave your ears ringing for the next 5 minutes (and virtually every concert player of one wears earplugs).

But the ways those composers in the early years took advantage of the new technology it is kinda like looking back at the Beatles or the Beach Boys playing around with multitrack recordings, or that whole ‘wall of sound’ methodology in later music.

…So why the fuck not add actual cannons? 😵‍💫 🤩🥳 (Total metal before metal):

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Reminds me of Holst a bit, and very unique for the time:

We tend to think of ‘classical music’ as basically one thing that encompasses everything from 1800’s and before that is done with an orchestra, but the horn and valve system wasn’t created till 1815, so all of those big brass sections didn’t become a big thing until then (they were used sparingly before that but very limitedly).

Before that you needed a choir to get loud like with Motzart’s louder pieces (all string and choir):

The composers around that period in the mid 1800’s basically had a moment where suddenly they have a new set of instruments, that can basically blow the roof off in terms of sound while keeping the note; A french horn at full blast close up will literally leave your ears ringing for the next 5 minutes (and virtually every concert player wears earplugs).

But the ways those composers in the early years took advantage of the new technology it is kinda like looking back at the Beatles or the Beach Boys playing around with multitrack recordings, or that whole ‘wall of sound’ methodology in later music.

Stumbled into reading about Scriabin's Prometheus chord and creating a new civilization. His composition had funny timing with the fall of the Romanovs in that context. Also brought to mind Tchaikovsky

Stumbled into reading about Scriabin's Prometheus chord and creating a new civilization. His composition had funny timing with the fall of the Romanovs in that context. Also brought to mind Tchaikovsky

Haha that is the ‘Russian Dance of Death’ right there lol.

Context: Every time they played that ballet in Russia on TV or radio something was seriously going wrong… like Stalin dying:

Last edited:
Top Bottom