• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2012)

ymmv

Banned
So after finishing up the second Game of Thrones book, I plan on starting a new fantasy series. I'm a real light reader, but I'm trying to change that! With that in mind, I figured I'd try and start reading more about stuff I like in other entertainment (I also love the GoT books, but I feel like those are different beasts anyway.)

So basically, I've been tossing up a few ideas:

-Wheel of Time series
-Dragonlance series

I'm open to completely new suggestions, or suggestions out of these two. Any preferences?

Skip the Dragonlance books, they're not worth your time. Read the following:

Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn trilogy (you can read the first book as a satisfying standalone novel if you wish)
Joe Abercrombie- - First Law trilogy
Jack Vance - Tales of the Dying Earth (this is not SF, despite the US cover)
Gene Wolfe - Shadow & Claw, Citadel & Autarch (the four books of the New Sun)
Scott Lynch - The Lies of Locke Lamora
Dave Duncan - A Man of His Word series, or perhaps Cursed, a great standalone
Lois McMaster Bujold - The Curse of Chalion
Tanith Lee - Death's Master
Fritz Leiber - The Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser books (comic heroic fantasy)
Robert E Howard - The three Conan collections published by Ballantine Books for oldschool sword and sorcery excitement
Poul Anderson - The Broken Sword

FillerB

Finished: "Cold Days" by Jim Butcher (The Dresden Files #14)
Exactly what I want from a Dresden Files book. Some interesting developments and the descriptions of how Harry is
slowly being corrupted by Winter
are, excuse the pun, chilling. Holy shit at the fall-out of the showdown on
Demonreach and Molly's transformation into the Winter Lady
. Harry is fucked when
Charity
finds out about that.

Started: "Before They Are Hanged" by Joe Abercrombie (The First Law #2)
Unlike what seems to be all of GAF I wasn't that much of a fan of the first book. Still lets see if the second one can change my mind. Didn't like the first book of ASOIAF either so who knows.

Celegus

Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn trilogy (you can read the first book as a satisfying standalone novel if you wish)
Robert E Howard - The three Conan collections published by Ballantine Books for oldschool sword and sorcery excitement

Gonna save this list, we seem to have similar tastes and there's some I never heard of. Heck yeah bookGAF!

Almost finished with this:
200px-House_of_leaves.jpg

Up next:
buildingstories.jpeg

Nezumi

Still reading this (around 20% in):
n165115.jpg

After I initally was a bit taken aback by all the pose stricking, I finally gotten used to it and really enjoy it now.

After that I'll dive into:

68427.jpg

My hopes are high for this one, since I haven't read anything by Sanderson so far that I did not like.

Elantris is good. I liked it quite a bit, which led me into more Sanderson.

So I've added Legend by David Gemmell to my list. Still not sure if that's where I want to go next though.

Hmmm...

It took me 10 months to read Peter Hamilton's "Pandora's Star." Actually a little surprised I stuck with it. I thought it was twice as long as it needed to be and full of bloat and unnecessary characters. I have Judas Unchained staring at me from the book shelf. Anyone care to comment on whether the wrap-up of this duology is worth it or if I didn't enjoy the first one should I just skip it?

I'm so confused ... World War Z looks good too. Dammit... <goes back to finishing Red Country>

So I've added Legend by David Gemmell to my list. Still not sure if that's where I want to go next though.

Hmmm...

It took me 10 months to read Peter Hamilton's "Pandora's Star." Actually a little surprised I stuck with it. I thought it was twice as long as it needed to be and full of bloat and unnecessary characters. I have Judas Unchained staring at me from the book shelf. Anyone care to comment on whether the wrap-up of this duology is worth it or if I didn't enjoy the first one should I just skip it?

I'm so confused ... World War Z looks good too. Dammit... <goes back to finishing Red Country>

It has less bloat and wraps things up nicely, but yeah, if you didn't enjoy Pandora then you're probably better off not wasting your time.

I'd also highly recommend The Name of the Wind & Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss[...]

Holy crap man, these are so good. There are some things that irk me a little about the main character (
fairly mary-sue in his inherent lack of effort to excel and cute obliviousness when it comes to women. HE'S JUST SO GOOD AT EVERYTHING, WUT
) but all in all it's fantastic writing, so I'm entirely willing to overlook that kind of thing. I'm looking to finish both books in the span of about a month. I finished Name of the Wind a few days ago, and just started Wise Man's Fear and cannot put it down. I haven't been this sucked into a book since I read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle back in 2008 or something, so I've been hella starved for some amazingly written, thick-ass books.

Anyway, yes. I am reading Wise Man's Fear; it is awesome.

Holy crap man, these are so good. There are some things that irk me a little about the main character (
fairly mary-sue in his inherent lack of effort to excel and cute obliviousness when it comes to women. HE'S JUST SO GOOD AT EVERYTHING, WUT
) but all in all it's fantastic writing, so I'm entirely willing to overlook that kind of thing. I'm looking to finish both books in the span of about a month. I finished Name of the Wind a few days ago, and just started Wise Man's Fear and cannot put it down. I haven't been this sucked into a book since I read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle back in 2008 or something, so I've been hella starved for some amazingly written, thick-ass books.

Anyway, yes. I am reading Wise Man's Fear; it is awesome.

Yeah I was cracking up when he became a sex god
but it's all good. I look forward to returning that world for the conclusion.

Ohhh this sounds very interesting. Added to my wishlist for later.

Added to mine too. I also ran across this today and thought you might be interested as well.

Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo

Think I might start it tonight.

Narag

Yeah I was cracking up when he became a sex god
but it's all good. I look forward to returning that world for the conclusion.

Uuugh, a friend of mine whom has read them both let me in on that detail as well, and I facepalmed... not just because it's fucking ridiculous, but that I was totally expecting it to happen :| Now it's only a matter of time before I read about it myself, oh god.

Jintor

I read The Name of the Wind and liked it as I was reading it but then on reflection i had zero desire or impetus to go back to that universe.

The main character: kind of a dick

cloud-atlas.jpg

About 300 pages in. Very intriguing and superbly written; Mitchell switches writing styles with an ease and deftness that I, personally, have not encountered before.

I'm still undecided whether I think it'll actually go anywhere, or whether it's just a grandiose tapestry of stories.

Ashes

Banned
1984 is finished. I'm reading a certain recommended book on the side, but for my main read, I'm reading The Turn of the Screw. Watching the cricket, reading a classic. Nice.

Brick

I'd also highly recommend The Name of the Wind & Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (a much more personal and intimate story)

I really love both of these books, but I started to get tired of
there not being really any obstacle for the protagonist that he didn't almost immediately overcome or is brushed aside with his quick wit. He keeps eluding to things going really bad when he is recalling the story to the Chronicler, but nothing ever really does go that bad. Towards the end, everything started feeling like the whole book was just a "Look how awesome I am" travelogue to me.
Even with that problem, I'm still really looking forward to the third book.

Zona

Hmmm...

I say read it, it wraps it up very well. It's also a faster pace since the whole first book it set up. Some of the moment are wonderful in a Holy Shit that just happened way.

I say read it, it wraps it up very well. It's also a faster pace since the whole first book it set up. Some of the moment are wonderful in a Holy Shit that just happened way.

Ya I hate leaving series only partially read, even if I'm slogging through the damn thing. I will probably read it but I gotta have it done before Kay's "River of Stars" comes out in April.

tmarques

images

About 100 pages in, another 850 to go. Hope it picks up soon, I've never been this bored by a Dickens novel. Tiny print doesn't help.

Started: "Before They Are Hanged" by Joe Abercrombie (The First Law #2)
Unlike what seems to be all of GAF I wasn't that much of a fan of the first book. Still lets see if the second one can change my mind. Didn't like the first book of ASOIAF either so who knows.

I've only read the first (so far), but, yeah, it's rough and from all accounts Abercrombie got his stuff together very quickly after the debut. And I think the prevailing school of though is that the first is by FAR the weakest of the three.

images

About 100 pages in, another 850 to go. Hope it picks up soon, I've never been this bored by a Dickens novel. Tiny print doesn't help.

Well, I think this generally considered his masterpiece, unless you fall into the category of Copperfield lovers. And the two books are so polar opposite, that it's easy to see why people fall on one side or the other. I'm firmly in the Bleak House camp, however. I find Copperfield entertaining fluff by comparison.

Ratrat

Hmmm...

I would give it a skip. Judas Unchained is every bit of a slog the first one was. Not sure how I finished it.

tmarques

Well, I think this generally considered his masterpiece, unless you fall into the category of Copperfield lovers. And the two books are so polar opposite, that it's easy to see why people fall on one side or the other. I'm firmly in the Bleak House camp, however. I find Copperfield entertaining fluff by comparison.

I should be ashamed to admit it, but The Old Curiosity Shop is my favorite.

To be fair to Bleak House, the story itself hasn't begun. I just hope the characters get more interesting, because as of now the annoyingly sweet orphaned governess (is there anyone in the world she isn't awfully fond of?) reminds me too much of Jane Eyre.

I would give it a skip. Judas Unchained is every bit of a slog the first one was. Not sure how I finished it.

Good to know. I got about a week or so until I polish off Red Country at the pace I'm reading. Then I need to decide what to do next. I'll probably stare at my overwhelming bookcase for 30 minutes before deciding on something.

I might leave Judas Unchained sitting there. It is very hard to imagine spending another 10 months reading something. My wife was like "just put it down!" when I was barely inching through Pandora's Star.

Quake1028

Just finished the Shadowdance Trilogy by David Dalglish. Not a bad little series; nothing ground breaking, but it had its moments!

Just picked up another series of his, set in the same world and presumably tied in!

Would also like to add, finished Cold Days a few days ago.....already craving the next book! I supposed reading the first 14 books in approx. a week can get you hooked too much!

Half-Orc series is AMAZING. I really need to get off my ass and read the Shadowdance Trilogy. Dalglish is probably by far my favorite current indie author.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So after finishing up the second Game of Thrones book, I plan on starting a new fantasy series. I'm a real light reader, but I'm trying to change that! With that in mind, I figured I'd try and start reading more about stuff I like in other entertainment (I also love the GoT books, but I feel like those are different beasts anyway.)

So basically, I've been tossing up a few ideas:

-Wheel of Time series
-Dragonlance series

I'm open to completely new suggestions, or suggestions out of these two. Any preferences?

If I might make some suggestions:

Flippin' amazing story. Well crafted characters, amazingly detailed magic system, and it's by Brandon Sanderson, who if I'm not mistaken has taken over the Wheel of Time series. Amazing writer, and you don't have to go through 14 books to get the whole story. :) I'm working on the second book in the series myself.

cover_277.jpg

This is another great read. It's crazy because this is usually the type of book I hate - really slow to build up, mainly character driven rather than event driven, but the whole thing is just written so well, and the world is fleshed out so beautifully, that you just want to keep going until you learn more and more about the world. Highly recommended.

cover_277.jpg

This is another great read. It's crazy because this is usually the type of book I hate - really slow to build up, mainly character driven rather than event driven, but the whole thing is just written so well, and the world is fleshed out so beautifully, that you just want to keep going until you learn more and more about the world. Highly recommended.

Aaaand that's probably a big reason why I personally love it so much. Characters >>> everything else for me, and the fantastic writing (especially dialogue <3 I love that shit) just makes it amazing.

Sleepy

Finished:

books

I felt the last two scenes were a waste, but the four extra scenes in the paperback version were good, especially the guy who is going to take a year off work to watch all the recorded TV of a month. The conversation was hilarious. Overall, I really enjoyed it.

To start:

51OYIQnCaQL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

or

200px-A-supposedly-fun-thing-first-edition-cover.png

or

200px-Thecorrectionscvr.jpg

Any thoughts?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Most of my reading this year was newspapers and periodicals since it was a presidential election year. My pick for book published this year is Capital by John Lanchester.

images

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

Do you mean the three volumes published by Del Ray under the title Conan of Cimmeria? I can't find any published by Ballantine.

Fjordson

Do you mean the three volumes published by Del Ray under the title Conan of Cimmeria? I can't find any published by Ballantine.
I'm not sure if he meant those, but I would recommend them to anyone who wants to read Conan. They're amazing. Comprehensive, beautiful illustrations, and some nice intros with every volume.

All of the Howard books from Del Rey are great. Also love the Solomon Kane one.

I'm not sure if he meant those, but I would recommend them to anyone who wants to read Conan. They're amazing. Comprehensive, beautiful illustrations, and some nice intros with every volume.

All of the Howard books from Del Rey are great. Also love the Solomon Kane one.

I need to look into these. I never understood why my dad's really old paperbacks had L. Sprague DeCamp and Lin Carter's hands all over them. Is some of the original Howard work incomplete?

Fjordson

I need to look into these. I never understood why my dad's really old paperbacks had L. Sprague DeCamp and Lin Carter's hands all over them. Is some of the original Howard work incomplete?
I have never gone through those editions from front to back, but I've studied up on the situation a bit and it all sounds a bit bizarre. It's not really that Howard's work was incomplete, they went in and literally changed stuff. Maybe to make it more readable for a modern audience? I dunno. There are lots of tiny changes to the language that seemed unnecessary throughout (I remember reading one where the word girdle was changed to belt :lol). On the whole, I hear that it loses some of the "weird fantasy" flair that Howard had and reads more like present day fantasy.

My brother who is an even bigger REH fanatic than me has read these re-releases and he also mentions that De Camp went into some of Howard's non-Conan stories, changed them around a bit, and turned them into Conan stories. I don't really know how or why he did that, but it seems pretty bizarre and disingenuous.

De Camp and co. also tried to create some sort of internal chronological order with the Conan stories, which is silly since Howard never meant for there to be a traditional order. With the Del Rey books, they're presented in the order that Howard originally wrote them. Even his sketches of maps and notes are presented in the order that they were created, so as you're reading you're literally seeing Howard build Conan's world from the ground up. It's quite fascinating.

As I said, I've never gone through those edited editions entirely so this is only what I've heard from other Howard fans and what I've read about them. Either way, with the Del Rey books out now for just about everything Howard did, those are definitely the way to go these days. Whether it's Conan, Solomon Kane, Bron Mak, Kull, whatever. Completely unedited and in their original order. Plus the illustrations in all of them are great, and there are some nice essay-type pieces in each one. Solomon Kane even has a tribute piece by H.P. Lovecraft called "In Memoriam" about Howard and his writing that's really neat.

Sooooo good.

This came in the mail yesterday:

I got mine back in October; loved it! He was doing a reading of it in Boston a few days before Halloween--complete with shadowcasting and everything! But unfortunately I missed it =/ I loved the book though. And House of Leaves is unbelievable.

I have never gone through those editions from front to back, but I've studied up on the situation a bit and it all sounds a bit bizarre. It's not really that Howard's work was incomplete, they went in and literally changed stuff. Maybe to make it more readable for a modern audience? I dunno. There are lots of tiny changes to the language that seemed unnecessary throughout (I remember reading one where the word girdle was changed to belt :lol). On the whole, I hear that it loses some of the "weird fantasy" flair that Howard had and reads more like present day fantasy.

My brother who is an even bigger REH fanatic than me has read these re-releases and he also mentions that De Camp went into some of Howard's non-Conan stories, changed them around a bit, and turned them into Conan stories. I don't really know how or why he did that, but it seems pretty bizarre and disingenuous.

De Camp and co. also tried to create some sort of internal chronological order with the Conan stories, which is silly since Howard never meant for there to be a traditional order. With the Del Rey books, they're presented in the order that Howard originally wrote them. Even his sketches of maps and notes are presented in the order that they were created, so as you're reading you're literally seeing Howard build Conan's world from the ground up. It's quite fascinating.

As I said, I've never gone through those edited editions entirely so this is only what I've heard from other Howard fans and what I've read about them. Either way, with the Del Rey books out now for just about everything Howard did, those are definitely the way to go these days. Whether it's Conan, Solomon Kane, Bron Mak, Kull, whatever. Completely unedited and in their original order. Plus the illustrations in all of them are great, and there are some nice essay-type pieces in each one. Solomon Kane even has a tribute piece by H.P. Lovecraft called "In Memoriam" about Howard and his writing that's really neat.

You are a gentleman and a scholar, good sir. Thanks for all that.

ymmv

Banned

Yeah, I meant the Del Rey books. (Del Rey used to be an imprint of Ballantine Books, that's how I got confused).

Those Del Rey editions of REH's work are excellent. Every single story is checked with the original manuscripts (if they exist) and ordered by the date they were written. Every book has "bonus features" like alternate versions of published stories and unfinished work. The illustrations are magnificent too. Absolutely recommended.

The only downside is that they stopped prematurely, since they could have published even more books with Howards' western, weird menace and boxing stories. If you're a completionist check out "The Complete Action Stories", "Graveyard Rats and Others" and "Waterfront Fists and Others" on Amazon.

Nay to all the Abercrombie recommendations. Mediocre fare for mediocre fare's sake.

Then again, I hate ASOIAF too, so...

Top Bottom