• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2012)

Chesh

Up next:
buildingstories.jpeg

You, my friend, have excellent taste. I *love* Chris Ware, I'm always banging that drum. He's unmatched in his craft, the emotions he can elicit through his comics! I'm always checking to see whether or not the new ACME has been announced.

Myself, I'm reading:

large_acheron-dickens-the-haunted-man-and-the-ghosts-bargain.png

It's a Christmas story.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
ithe-rum-diary-hunter-i-s-thompson-1st-printing-640.jpg

Re-reading The Rum Diary. Such a fantastic book... Probably my favorite ever.

You, my friend, have excellent taste. I *love* Chris Ware, I'm always banging that drum. He's unmatched in his craft, the emotions he can elicit through his comics! I'm always checking to see whether or not the new ACME has been announced

Why thank you, sir! Chris Ware rules. I saw him at the Boston Book Festival a few weeks ago. He gave a PowerPoint and talked about his inspiration for Building Stories. I just thought it was the coolest concept. Everyone's reviews of it on goodreads have got me so excited. He didn't mention anything about the new ACME though =\

Fjordson

Nay to all the Abercrombie recommendations. Mediocre fare for mediocre fare's sake.

Then again, I hate ASOIAF too, so...
I'm really loving Abercrombie =[ mainly his characters and dialogue. Haven't gone through a series this quickly in a while.

But I also love Black Company and Book of the New Sun so it's all good.

You are a gentleman and a scholar, good sir. Thanks for all that.
No problem. I would definitely check them out. Not that the editions your father had were totally bad or anything, but the Del Rey books are invaluable. The original stories are such fun reads. Incredible atmosphere and great action, heightened even more by the illustrations. And given the nature of them being pulps, they're never dull or overly long. Almost every paragraph is exciting and moves the plot along. Howard was incredibly efficient in that regard.

Just finished Hyperion. Damn cliffhangers!

Fall of Hyperion is the second book right?
Yes sir. I feel bad for still leaving that unread, I finished Hyperion like a year and a half ago.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished

17977.jpg

Loved it all the way-through. Even if anything dealing with Evolution gets a instant A+ for me. I did feel like a number of the chapters in the last 1/4 of the book, fell right over my head though. Probably might be due to my lack of general chemistry knowledge, really need to brush up on my knowledge sometime in the future.

Now Reading

438452.jpg

Around 150 pages read so far. I'm in love, the style and sense of adventure is OH SO GOOD. I'm finding the historical aspects to be really fascinating as well, especially the religion angle which I'm particularly finding interesting.

Just about to finish up 1Q84. I liked the book, but man book 3 has been such a drag.

Thinking I'll either read Sanderson's Legion or the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks next.

Finished Ship of Fools last night. Overall it was a pretty great book and I couldn't put it down, but it left me wanting more.

Gonna go back to this which is alright. All of the stories have a strong YA vibe, which isn't bad. The most interesting story thus far is about a girl who was infected with a zombie-ish type virus for 6 months or so before a cure was developed and now she's trying to adjust back to normalcy, but there's heavy prejudice and hate against the former infected. Kind of a cool premise that I haven't encountered before.

After by Ellen Datlow

Also starting this later-

Blindsight by Peter Watts

And on the non-fiction side, been going through this. It's a beautiful, huge full color book, but man is it a pain to try and get comfortable with. Content wise, it's not bad, doesn't spend a lot of time on any commander, usually just half a page or so, Alexander got 6 pages. Still pretty interesting and a lot of generals and leaders that I had never heard of.

Commanders by R.G. Grant

NekoFever

Haven't posted in one of these for a while.

I'm currently reading this:

9780099543497tipzo.jpg

I haven't been particularly impressed so far. Anyone who listens to Kermode's radio show will have heard a lot of the arguments before, and it's a fairly predictable rant about some soft targets, including a really bad opening chapter about staff in movie theatres. It's been getting better with each chapter, though. I'm just dreading the 3D one that I'm starting now because it's a subject that he won't let go.

How are you finding it? I had to study it for school back in the day. A decent, if somewhat trite story on retrospect, but at the time I actively hated it.

Currently trying to read 1Q84's English translation. Would read the Japanese, but I got the English one as a gift. Maybe once I'm done.

Sorry for the delayed response! I actually liked it, but I expected something different. The first part of the book is lovely and, but the second part is lacking in the fun department. It changes into a really serious and sad story and I wish it stayed somewhat less-serious.

Right now I'm reading
9780099908401.jpg

I'm about halfway through and its interesting. I never thought I'd read Hemingway, but I love it. I'm getting a big Moby Dick vibe.

51nEnP20jGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I'm only in the 'introduction', which is 58 pages, but it seems really good/amusing so far. My first Moody, too, so I'm long overdue.

KidDork

and just started this one

22320.jpg

One of my top five books of all time. I try to re-read it every two years or so.

Still making my way through Memories of Ice. Thanks to Manik for pointing out the Malazan Re-Read site on Tor. Although now I wonder if I should go back and read Night of Knives before I continue on with MoI--I haven't read any of the Esselmont books, but that one seems to be set before MoI.

Manik

One of my top five books of all time. I try to re-read it every two years or so.

Still making my way through Memories of Ice. Thanks to Manik for pointing out the Malazan Re-Read site on Tor. Although now I wonder if I should go back and read Night of Knives before I continue on with MoI--I haven't read any of the Esselmont books, but that one seems to be set before MoI.

No prob! I found them really useful for picking up on threads I wouldn't have given any thought to otherwise.

The reading sequence I'm using for the series is from - here and it seems to slot most of the esselmont books in where they, chronologically, fit. Night of Knives was a nice change of pace and a bit more focussed than the Erikson ones, but the prose isn't as strong. It's worth going back to, but certainly not essential.

Jarlaxle

OK, I need a little help, guys. I'm looking for a mass market paperback copy of Blade of Tyshalle by Matthew Woodring Stover that is in a realistic price range. I don't know if they are not doing anymore reprints or what the deal is but I can't find a copy on either amazon or barnes and noble. Any help would be appreciated.

KidDork

Finished it yesterday and I loved it too. Is the sequel as good as this one?

It's good, but it didn't resonate with me as much as Pattern Recognition did. I can barely remember what happened in it. I think Gibson just had everything align for him in Pattern Recognition. For me, it was just one of those absolutely perfect books.

Prez

Sorry for the delayed response! I actually liked it, but I expected something different. The first part of the book is lovely and, but the second part is lacking in the fun department. It changes into a really serious and sad story and I wish it stayed somewhat less-serious.

Right now I'm reading
9780099908401.jpg

I'm about halfway through and its interesting. I never thought I'd read Hemingway, but I love it. I'm getting a big Moby Dick vibe.

I read this a year ago and despite liking it I don't remember a single thing :/

Teptom

I started The Hobbit yesterday so I can have it finished before Friday. I haven't read it since middle school and I can only remember a few bits and pieces.

After I'm done with that, I'll get back into my marathon of all the Discworld books. Mort is up next.

Setre

Can anyone recommend me some fantasy and horror novels? No George R. R. Martin, Stephen King, or Tolkien please. Would prefer it if they were shorter books as well, also wouldn't mind books that collect a bunch of different stories from different authors.

Masenkame

I'm about halfway through A Feast for Crows and I'm enjoying it a lot. I finished up A Storm of Swords around four months ago and I decided to take a break from the series in order to read something different. I now feel I must finish these last two novels, in order to protect myself from an internet full of spoilers for this popular series.

I recently read The Hobbit to prepare for the film. I read it once when I was a young kid, and I came away pleased that it was still a great read.

A short while ago I also read Life of Pi before watching the film, and liked it.

I bought The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russel last week, and I'm itching to read it. The premise sounds great. Back to Westeros for now.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

What did you think about Spook Country and Zero History? I read all three books a few years ago and remember liking them all but not enough to keep any of them. Only Gibson books I've kept are the Sprawl Trilogy (Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive) and that's pretty much just for Neuromancer. Not sure why I've bothered keeping the other two, honestly (again, not that they weren't good, I've just gotten more strict on what I keep around).

I'm about halfway through A Feast for Crows and I'm enjoying it a lot. I finished up A Storm of Swords around four months ago and I decided to take a break from the series in order to read something different. I now feel I must finish these last two novels, in order to protect myself from an internet full of spoilers for this popular series.

I recently read The Hobbit to prepare for the film. I read it once when I was a young kid, and I came away pleased that it was still a great read.

A short while ago I also read Life of Pi before watching the film, and liked it.

I bought The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russel last week, and I'm itching to read it. The premise sounds great. Back to Westeros for now.
The Sparrow is awesome. Hope you enjoy.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
ithe-rum-diary-hunter-i-s-thompson-1st-printing-640.jpg

Re-reading The Rum Diary. Such a fantastic book... Probably my favorite ever.

I've read Thompson's Fear/Loathing/Vegas, Rum Diary and Hell's Angels, and I think I enjoyed Rum Diary the most. Great book, especially considering it was his first, written when he was 23 or something.

Masamune

jvWxQ.jpg

I find myself identifying closely with him, which is a touch unnerving. My first Updike was "The Coup" which was like cheesecake with its thick, winding prose. This writing lacks the flourishes but maintains the blunt demeanor, which, being a fan of masculine styles, I appreciate. Antihero? Maybe if you're reading as a man. I can imagine female readers wanting to shank him, especially those with "feminist" tendencies. Well anyway, it was the 60s.

Over the last few weeks I tried to read some sci-fi classics:

Ringworld, Hyperion and Foundation and I can't put myself to read another book in either series. Some started good (Foundation, Ringworld) and other have been a pain to continue (Hyperion). I admit I only finished Foundation and read 20-30% of the other books but I don't see why there is so much universal praise.

I do like sci-fi literature - I couldn't stop reading the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Otherland or the Cryptonomicom. Did I really miss out on the classics? Should I force myself during the holidays to read them again until the end?

Jamieee

Neo Member
Can anyone recommend me some fantasy and horror novels? No George R. R. Martin, Stephen King, or Tolkien please. Would prefer it if they were shorter books as well, also wouldn't mind books that collect a bunch of different stories from different authors.

The+Return+Man.jpg

The Return Man by VM Zito

I read this earlier this year and thought it was pretty great. Not too long; I read it quite quickly.

Warm Bodies and Alison Hewitt is Trapped are also worth looking into, and they are short reads.

Legion and The Emperor's Soul are also worth checking out if you like Brandon Sanderson - or if you haven't read his books before. The Emperor's Soul is a perfect short story, and whilst the premise of Legion is very interesting, the ending is pretty poor. It's still worth reading though.

jvWxQ.jpg

I find myself identifying closely with him, which is a touch unnerving. My first Updike was "The Coup" which was like cheesecake with its thick, winding prose. This writing lacks the flourishes but maintains the blunt demeanor, which, being a fan of masculine styles, I appreciate. Antihero? Maybe if you're reading as a man. I can imagine female readers wanting to shank him, especially those with "feminist" tendencies. Well anyway, it was the 60s.

One of his most 'objective', not-necessarily-male-centered novels is In the Beauty of the Lilies, which I LOVED. Really fantastic family saga. As someone who can get a little tired of the Updikes and the Roths, etc. who have very little use for women other than for their bedroom prowess, Lilies is like a huge blast of fresh air.

I read this a year ago and despite liking it I don't remember a single thing :/

That's too bad. Maybe it's time to read it again? ;)

I've been meaning to get around to this one. That encourages me even more.

Be sure to do so. In my opinion the struggles in the book are comparable to the struggles that Ahab has in Moby Dick.

The fact that I just have a weird fascination with the ocean makes me like it even more. :) There's just something about imagining being at sea that makes me feel at peace.

KidDork

What did you think about Spook Country and Zero History? I read all three books a few years ago and remember liking them all but not enough to keep any of them. Only Gibson books I've kept are the Sprawl Trilogy (Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive) and that's pretty much just for Neuromancer. Not sure why I've bothered keeping the other two, honestly (again, not that they weren't good, I've just gotten more strict on what I keep around).

I enjoyed them, I enjoyed the ride, but they faded in my mind fairly quick. There's a caffeinated cool feel to Gibson's books for me that I love, but I'm not sure if he'll ever hit the same heights for me as he did with Pattern Recognition.

I applaud your strength in getting rid of books that you no longer want. I agonized for about a week about getting rid of the atrocious New Jedi Order.

(They're gone, mercifully.)

teeny

I liked it, it wasn't as gimmicky when it first came out, but zombie books have really exploded the last few years. Anyway the other books in the series are stronger with better characters and stories and the world that Cherie created gets bigger and more interesting.

Oh, and you reminded me that the newest book in the series just came out... The backlog grows.

I can understand that, yeah.

I finished it over the weekend, and the extended cast / world are really great. It was only the main two characters
and the big reveal at the end
which left me underwhelmed. The "rotters" themselves were actually really well handled, and fit with the world Priest built, and I loved Minnericht. I'll definitely be picking up the next in the series.

Just started Life of Pi seeing as the film is coming out soonish, and I loved the book when I read it as a teenager.

I never really liked anything else by Gibson except for Burning Chrome, an excellent collection of short stories which I highly recommend without reservation.

Amazon

survivor

Banned
About 50 pages into Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. I find it funny how the MC of the book worked with people from Google, knows a guy from Apple, has a roommate who works at ILM, and knows some rich dude. Some amazing connections for a guy who can't find a job
0GbEg.jpg

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

About halfway through it. My god the Bloody Nine is one of my favorite characters ever.

Mid book spoiler
When they go to meet Ghosts at the fire and discuss terms... I was giggling like a schoolgirl. Vintage Bloody Nine handywork.

I love that character and the way Abercrombie writes him is so much fun. Just a complete psycho.

I always like the pure brawn barbarian style characters. Victarion Greyjoy, Conan, Cnaiur from Prince of Nothing.... but Bloody Nine may take the cake. (I'd like to see Cnaiur vs Bloody Nine)

Any other good violent characters you guys could recommend like this in a fantasy setting?

Fjordson

I never really liked anything else by Gibson except for Burning Chrome, an excellent collection of short stories which I highly recommend without reservation.

Amazon
Just Burning Chrome? Now I'm curious about the origin of your username.

edit: wait...I think I'm dumb and read your post wrong. Never mind :lol

Mumei

I finished reading the last 60 or so pages of The Stories of Vladimir Nabokov at the library today and read about half of Bird of Jove. The latter is this fascinating story about a falconer who travels to East Asia to acquire a Berkut and manages to train it. Golden eagles have long been one of my favorite animals and I love how it is romanticized here.

I think some of the facts are a perhaps a bit inaccurate or seem embellished but it hasn't really impacted my enjoyment.

Top Bottom