• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2015)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Has anyone heard of or read The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers?

22733729.jpg

The description on Fantasy-Faction sounds awesome:

This just got a new cover and is supposed to be very good.

the-long-way-to-a-small-angry-planet-by-becky-chambers.jpg

Not when you consider what people look for in a book store. I probably wouldn't even pick up the first cover...the second is more iconic.

Mr.Swag

Banned
In terms of income inequality and how it contributes to education, Jonathan Kozol will do you well. Savage Inequalities, Amazing Grace, and The Shame of The Nation are his most well known works. The Shame of the Nation is the newest, from 2005, and will have the most up to date statistics.

Education budgets are tied direct into property taxes and Kozol shows the disparity between the richest towns and the poorest towns. He uses a mixture of statistics and anecdotal evidence (observations on school districts, interviews with teachers and students).

The Wikipedia article has a breakdown of the contents of the book, so take a look here to see if it interests you.

It's heartbreakingly sad and extremely informative.
This is perfect.
Education really is the root of the endless poverty cycle, so this is right up with my interests.

Eeeee Eee Eeee by Tao Lin

0UlIoka.jpg

I finished it in a couple of hours....yeah I have no clue wtf was going on.

I'm trying to decide if I want to read Dept. of Speculation, Get in Trouble, or Nobody is Ever Missing. Maybe I should read the The First Bad Man next.

Lelcar

I finished the Sword of Truth series and now I'm currently tackling House of Leaves.
puıɯ ʎɯ ƃuısol əq ʇɥƃıɯ ı puɐ

obin_gam

So, thinking of reading some maritime books. There are two series that is the prominent ones:
Master & Commander and Hornblower.

Which series is better?

Polari

Just finished Neal Gabler's Walt Disney, which is fantastic. I came away thinking Disney might not have been a great artist, but he was certainly a great storyteller and designer, with fantastic attention to detail and consistency.

besada

Banned
So, thinking of reading some maritime books. There are two series that is the prominent ones:

Which series is better?
I can't give you a comparative, but the first Master and Commander book is fantastic. The characters are incredibly well drawn and a pleasure to read, even when they aren't firing cannon into the ass of a ship. And it's much funnier than I expected it to be.

Which series is better?

I've read about 8 of the Hornblowers, and all the Aubrey/Maturin books. C.S. Forrester wrote his in the 1930's and they stylistically reflect that. Patrick O'Brian wrote his in the from 1970 until 2000.

I think the Hornblowers are great storytelling, but the Aubrey/Maturin have a lot more depth to them as well as cracking plot and brilliant battle scenes, so I'd recommend those.

Necrovex

Plowed through the remaining volumes in Bone. Jeff Smith really did a number for the medium with this comic. Fone Bone will have a special place in my heart.

Now I am getting ever closer to finishing Manning's biography of Malcolm X. I haven't decided if I will pick up another non fiction yet (at least for the remaining part of the month), or if I will continue to focus on my fiction reading.

I also cried a little the other day when I couldn't connect my Kindle to a free wifi spot. Damn it and its inability to have two taps open! I'll never get to read the Southern Reach books, City of Stairs, or Goblin Emperor. :-(

Mumei

Plowed through the remaining volumes in Bone. Jeff Smith really did a number for the medium with this comic. Fone Bone will have a special place in my heart.

Now I am getting ever closer to finishing Manning's biography of Malcolm X. I haven't decided if I will pick up another non fiction yet (at least for the remaining part of the month), or if I will continue to focus on my fiction reading.

I also cried a little the other day when I couldn't connect my Kindle to a free wifi spot. Damn it and its inability to have two taps open! I'll never get to read the Southern Reach books, City of Stairs, or Goblin Emperor. :-(

Paper superiority reconfirmed!

Piecake

Paper superiority reconfirmed!

Only by Luddites and book snobs

If I am reading a non-fiction book and want to write notes in the margins, I feel that paper is a lot better though. I find the kindle's my clippings highlights extremely useful though. Having a file on the computer that has all of your highlights for that book is just sooo convenient. So, basically, if the next kindle allowed me to write in the margins and mark up the text as easily as paper I would upgrade in an instant.

Stasis

Has anyone heard of or read The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers?

22733729.jpg

The description on Fantasy-Faction sounds awesome:

Sounds great! I'm about to finish City of Stairs which was obtained due to GAF recommendation. Its been a fun ride, I recommend it as well. I was going to read the second Vorkosigan omnibus, Young Miles, but perhaps my detour will last a little longer and I'll read this one right away before returning to Bujold's works.

LProtag

My reading pace has been destroyed this week. I've only completed half a book.

I need to set aside more reading time.

besada

Banned
I'm reading Ancillary Sword, and got to a section with a penis festival, made even funnier by the default pronouns. It's weird, because the books meander a lot, but I really enjoy the meandering, so I guess that's okay.

lightus

Bleh don't bother with the Southern Reach. City of Stairs, however, is fantastic (or at least so far.)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Once, I downloaded a book on my Kindle via 3G when I was touring a mountain in Lucerne.

Living in da future.

Finished The Man In the High Castle. Moved on to Wool. I adored the opening.
Totally destroys any theories involving the usual cliches, but it brings you so far.

Once, I downloaded a book on my Kindle via 3G when I was touring a mountain in Lucerne.

Living in da future.

The first time I bought a book on a moving train via 3G I felt like I was living in a cyberpunk novel.

LProtag

I should finally read The Count of Monte Cristo, since I somehow got through high school and college without doing it.

I'm kinda trying to avoid large books for a while though as I'm getting a little burnt out on them, haha.

Mumei

I should finally read The Count of Monte Cristo, since I somehow got through high school and college without doing it.

I'm kinda trying to avoid large books for a while though as I'm getting a little burnt out on them, haha.

The Count of Monte Cristo is relatively breezy for a book of its length, actually.

Living in da future.

Pilatas? It kills me that you can have a sizable city where it's like 45 Fahrenheit, hop on a cable car, and end up on top of a mountain, where it resembles Antarctica on a bad day. Crazy stuff.

bengraven

I wish I wouldn't have ruined Monte Cristo. Ended up spoiling myself on the ending while only 5% through the book.

Realized it was going to be a long, long trip until I got to those spoilers, so decided to just give up. I'll probably watch a couple of the adaptations and maybe someday read the abridged version. :p

I can't give you a comparative, but the first Master and Commander book is fantastic. The characters are incredibly well drawn and a pleasure to read, even when they aren't firing cannon into the ass of a ship. And it's much funnier than I expected it to be.

The scene at the rehearsal where they first meet, Aubrey is rocking out with his fist and Maturin is annoying him. I laughed at how awkwardly gentlemen everyone is.

It's like Napoleonic Wars meet-cute.

ShaneB

Really enjoying 'Life is a Wheel', early on it felt a little too much of a travel log at times, but it really comes together with the retrospective a journey like that brings and a bunch of great stories and certainly love the look into his small town stops. Finding myself to have quite a few things in common with him as well, should finish it up today or tomorrow.

Liked this bit I just read (regarding how he met up with a friend on this trip, and wondered how they got in touch on the first cross country trip he did)..

It gave me a sudden chill to recognize what it was like without wireless technology that I can't even remember what it was like without it. One day you're a Flintstone, the next a Jetson. As we grow older we're always complaining about how fast time goes, but this made me feel as though I'd raced through the last eighteen years without noticing them.

Almost done with another Jack Reacher novel, A Wanted Man. It's been an interesting story but yet again I'm questioning how/why Reacher got involved with the events. Another fun but oddly disappointing story in the series.

Next on the list is one of three books. Which should I read?

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson
Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King
The Martian by Andy Weir

Finished reading Cibola Burn last night, and was let down, definitely not on par with the other 3 books in the series.

Started Mistborn last night too, been meaning to read that for a while now.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Almost done with another Jack Reacher novel, A Wanted Man. It's been an interesting story but yet again I'm questioning how/why Reacher got involved with the events. Another fun but oddly disappointing story in the series.

Next on the list is one of three books. Which should I read?

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson
Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King
The Martian by Andy Weir
The Martian
Everyone else is doing it

Necrovex

Forgot about the ability to turn my phone into a hotspot, so I was able to download my novels in the end! Though I may jump on the Martian bandwagon before I start with City of Stairs.

fakefaker

Couldn't finish the book I was reading; so bad I can't remember what it was. Going with The Martian by Andy Weir since a lot of you said it's pretty awesome.

18007564.jpg

Haly

Pilatas? It kills me that you can have a sizable city where it's like 45 Fahrenheit, hop on a cable car, and end up on top of a mountain, where it resembles Antarctica on a bad day. Crazy stuff.

That's the one! I went during the summer so it wasn't that bad. Maybe 50 F.

lightus

Finished reading Cibola Burn last night, and was let down, definitely not on par with the other 3 books in the series.

Started Mistborn last night too, been meaning to read that for a while now.

Interesting, I felt Abaddon's Gate was far far worse than the first two and that Cibola Burn started to point the series back into a better direction.

The Martian
Everyone else is doing it

Agreed, it's okay to jump off the bridge in this instance.

Forgot about the ability to turn my phone into a hotspot, so I was able to download my novels in the end! Though I may jump on the Martian bandwagon before I start with City of Stairs.

Both are great books, you can't go wrong.

Just finished up The First Bad Man from Miranda July. I loved it-- totally bonkers with its own strange logical and weirdly emotionally resonant for being such a very strange book. Excellent stuff.

Working toward a deadline but about to pick up the Kim Gordon memoir, Girl In a Band this week.

Cade

I finished A Clean Kill in Tokyo. Fun but forgettable, action fluff novel which was exactly what I needed. I'll read the other John Rain books sometime, but for now:

map_cover.jpg

Seems great so far. Very interesting.

X-Frame

I just finished The Martian .. and it was excellent!

Damn, no Iron Man! Also, someone had to have been cutting onions around me while I was reading the conclusion.

Kieli

Just finished the first novel in the series The Black Company by Glen Cook.

It was recommended by a thread on gaming side.

It's definitely a refreshing premise to see the viewpoint from the eyes of the villains (who are morally grey, just the way I like it). Which is all the more surprising since this novel is more than 30 years old!

I really enjoyed his writing style. I know I've harped several times about how limited fantasy prose can be (Sanderson and Rothfuss come to mind for their 1st books). Here's an example of prose that's a cut-above what you find in a typical novel. It's more complex and it has charm. It colours the novel with a unique flavour (namely that this world is oppressive and dark). It's not quite Planescape: Torment level of writing-with-style, but it captures my interest.

I can't say there's significant development of the characters. They end mostly as they had begun; so in that erspect, they're fairly static. That doesn't make them uninteresting, though. I just wish the author would sometimes delve a bit deeper into the actions and thoughts of characters besides the narrator, just because they were so intriguing (Soulcatcher, the Lady, Raven, Cap, etc...).

I do have some more to say about the plot, ending, and such. Maybe when I collect my thoghts, I'll post them.

Haly

Well, I finished The Left Hand of Darkness.

Probably the most intense story in the Hainish cycle, thought I'm not sure if it's my favorite. I need to revisit some of the other books, but I'm pretty sure I've finally read all of them now.

Oh, I'm missing Rocannon's World, Planet of Exile and City of Illusions. Dang.

Well, that's good actually. More Le Guin for me to read.

ngower

Couldn't sleep last night/this morning (I'm so tired...) and started reading this. It's so good! I've hardly made a dent in this significant text, but it's such a quick read—the style just sorta promotes burning through paragraph after paragraph.

Jintor

Quick - do I want to read The Man In The High Castle, or Scanner Darkly, (or both)?

Also can anyone speak as to Turtledove's In The Balance series?

Top Bottom