• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2015)

Necrovex

Listen. There are probably thousands of books I should read, but haven't yet. This is just another on the pile. ;)

Oh. Well, it could be either!

But Mumei, like 60% of the non fiction you read relates to slavery and the black person suffering. This should be right up your alley!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
8837.jpg

Reread Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine De Saint-Exupery so I could write about it.

319fjGY4CeL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Finally got around to the works of Italo Calvino. About halfway into The Complete Cosmicomics. Love the concept - Reminds me of Stanislaw Lem's Cyberiad, which I adore. Much better prose than Lem, too.

9809.jpg

Then picked up Invisible Cities, and couldn't put it down. Easily the best thing I've read in the last year. A hazy revelation, dreamy and vivid, just a stunning piece of work. Can't recommend this enough. I read it along with the accompanying audiobook version narrated by John Lee. Perfect.

ShaneB

Finished The Troop by Nick Cutter in quick fashion. It's been described as The Thing meets Lord of the Flies, and that's a pretty fair description. Cutter does a great job building his characters, and twisting the group dynamic as things start to go south. The parasite that worms its way through our cast is a real nasty critter and lets Cutter write some seriously nasty body horror sequences. While the main story is completely contained on the island, Cutter utilizes news articles, interviews and testimony to expand the story a bit and explain just what is happening. It's a greatly entertaining book, and definitely makes me want to check out his "second" novel The Deep fairly soon.

Thanks for the review, maybe I'll check it out sometime when I need a good scare. Thanks for pointing out The Deep as well, that sounds pretty cool. Gotta support Canadian authors! :)

Finished up Al Michaels book "You can't make this up", really thought it was fantastic, great sport stories from one of my favourite in the business. Much funnier than I expected as well, and he definitely doesn't pull any punches. Easy to recommend for sports fans.

Mumei

Yup, going to start it this weekend.

I'm very happy that Invisible Cities is one of the first Calvino books you read. If I were going to suggest Calvino to you, I'd suggest that first.

I'm going to read The Complete Cosmicomics soon, myself. I'm looking forward to it.

BorkBork

I'm always thinking about ordering this, but if it's anything like The Little Prince (in tone), it's going to make me bawl like a baby and I dunno if I'm in the mood for that. :(

To me, it's both a tribute and a lament for humanity - on the realization of our potential as well as our wasting of it. There are sad parts, but it's not steeped in sadness. I think it should be ok :)

I'm very happy that Invisible Cities is one of the first Calvino books you read. If I were going to suggest Calvino to you, I'd suggest that first.

I'm going to read The Complete Cosmicomics soon, myself. I'm looking forward to it.

Invisible Cities is so short, but so incredible dense. One of those books that you have to read again and again. I love those.

Cosmicomics really connected to me just because I've been trying to write pieces that use science as a launching point for fantastical narratives. It's really great to check out how a master does it.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Very much enjoying the first Jack Reacher novel. I can see myself reading all of them over the next couple years.

Really want to get into the Dresden files as well.

I keep searching online for a definitive best of list but I can't find one.
Every list has different combinations.
Which titles should I avoid?

I personallly wasnt a fan of the hard way, persuader and the enemy..the others have some sort of back story that you should read..

.. i was reading Bad Luck and Trouble before I dropped Reacher the series, may pick up after WoT

may be some time.

ryseing

Just finished my First Law reread.

My favorite part of the trilogy is that there is not a single redeemable character in the entire thing. Even ASOIAF, which is often noted for being gritty and realistic, has a few. The closest is Jezal, and it takes getting his jaw broken for him to change. I don't consider Logen redeemable because of his affliction.

Also, fuck Bayaz. Book 3 spoilers-
I almost think the world would have been better off if the Other Side had been opened.

This thread has given me a few recs on what to read next, so thanks. I'm in a short story mood, so Trigger Warning seems like just the thing.

My favorite part of the trilogy is that there is not a single redeemable character in the entire thing. Even ASOIAF, which is often noted for being gritty and realistic, has a few. The closest is Jezal, and it takes getting his jaw broken for him to change. I don't consider Logen redeemable because of his affliction.

I almost think the world would have been better off if the Other Side had been opened.

This thread has given me a few recs on what to read next, so thanks. I'm in a short story mood, so Trigger Warning seems like just the thing.
I love The First Law trilogy. My brother and nephew have both read through my copy so it's tattered a bit. Need to pick it up on Kindle. Highly anticipating Abercrombie returning to this world once he's done with his YA kick.

LProtag

Invisible Cities is so short, but so incredible dense. One of those books that you have to read again and again. I love those.

It's prose poetry basically. Short and light enough that you can go back to it and re-read your favorites or the whole thing, but deep enough to ponder upon.

besada

Banned
Very much enjoying the first Jack Reacher novel. I can see myself reading all of them over the next couple years.

They diminish somewhat in quality as time goes on, then sort of pick back up. When he starts whoopin entire towns full of people, credibility really starts to strain.

Althane

The world probably would have been worse off if the Other Side had been opened, until another Euz arose. Those of the Other Side are pretty explicitly made out to be evil and destructive. Bayaz is an ambitious asshole, yes, but ultimately he's more constructive than the Other Side.

Then again, Bayaz got Juvens and the Maker both killed, and Juvens is one of the few characters that actually seemed like a decent guy. Euz as well, I guess.

In short, fuck Bayaz, read the three following novels (Best Served Cold, The Heroes, and Red Country), and enjoy Red Country the most.

besada

Banned
Somehow I've never read Calvino, even though I've heard nothing but good things. So I'll read some. Anyone else have suggestions? Not straight science fiction, as it's pretty hard to find something I want there, that I haven't read.

Also, I'm about to double post.

Mumei

Somehow I've never read Calvino, even though I've heard nothing but good things. So I'll read some. Anyone else have suggestions? Not straight science fiction, as it's pretty hard to find something I want there, that I haven't read.

Also, I'm about to double post.

- If on a winter's night a traveler
- Invisible Cities
- Cosmicomics (there's a new complete edition out so read that)
- The Baron in the Trees

I've read the majority of them and have at least enjoyed all of them. None of them have been bad and in fact they have, at worst, been decent but a bit dumb. My only complaint for most of them is wondering how/why is Reacher involved with the events of the book?

The latest few are semi-connected, with one book directly leading to the next to the extent of him carrying over an injury or speaking about where he was before he got wherever he is. They have an overarching objective of him trying to get from point A to point B while getting caught up in a few situations along the way.

The Persuader is my favorite. After that is probably Killing Floor, then Tripwire. After that it is a bit jumbled in my personal rankings. Nothing to Lose is probably my least favorite.

They diminish somewhat in quality as time goes on, then sort of pick back up. When he starts whoopin entire towns full of people, credibility really starts to strain.

This I can agree with.

Part of the reason why I liked the Persuader so much,
with him having a physical match with the enemy goon - who was actually bigger and stronger - it actually felt like he was in some peril/danger. Unlike some of the others.

besada

Banned
A lot of people don't know Rudy Rucker, even though he's one of the founders of the cyberpunk movement. Gibson got more fame, Sterling got more respect, but Rucker is one of those writers who writes like no one else, and who no one else can really copy. And unlike Gibson, Rucker actually understands the science. He's a mathematician who's done interesting work in computer simulated automata. He's taught computer science, too. He's also won multiple Phillip K Dick awards for the series. The Wetware Tetralogy is probably his magnum opus. It consists of -- surprise -- four books:

Software(1982)
Wetware(1988)
Freeware(1997)
Realware(2000)

I don't want to go into too many details about the specific books, because the story takes some wild twists and turns, and is pretty easily spoilable. In short, this is a story about articificial intelligence, in many different forms, including -- eventually -- human intelligence digitized and living within semi-organic machine bodies.

Rucker himself believes its central threads are consciousness in all its forms, futuristic drug use, and the creative spirit. Unlike a lot of cyberpunk novels, this one focuses on artists and dropouts, not action heroes and hackers. There are hackers aplenty, but there are virtually no heroes, and even the best of characters have deep flaws in their psyches.

At the same time, it's a lighter feel than most cyberpunk fans are used to. There are jokes and many things, even huge events, unfold in a darkly comic way. And what seems to be a minor new thing often creates a phase change in technology and society. The world of the Ware books is changed, fundamentally, in every book, until finally -- in Realware -- we're looking at a version of the Singularity.

Rucker's prose style borrows from the beat writers heavily. It bops, it swings, it gets gnarly and complicated. He's also a fan of PKD and the high weirdness shines through. The ideas are big, but viewed through the lens of the small. You'll meet white trash merge -- a drug that literally softens your proteins until you run together into a blob with other people -- abusers. You'll find that my generation has been sent down to Florida, where we're called pheezers -- funky geezers -- and live off the Gimmie (what's left of the government.) There will be robots made of silicon and mold, called moldies. And people who want to fuck them -- cheeseballs. The books are full of drugs, sex, rock and roll, and strange new ways of making art.

At the same time, they deal heavily with our ideas of consciousness. If you're brain is copied into a moldie, are you human or robot? If a fourth-dimensional alien diety gives you a tool to create matter out of nothing, and copy yourself down to the atom, are you really you?

As all of this plays out, the changes send shocks through our society, and give rise to terrorist groups and assassins, desperate to stop the new from becoming real. And their actions further alter the world, as the best of intentions sometimes cause the very thing we're trying to avoid.

These are some of my favorite books. I read them originally as they came out, and in 1982 they were incredibly prescient about a number of things. But they're also deeply human books, which is sometimes a problem with science fiction. Writers forget that regardless of our technology, we'll still be the same fuck ups we are now. We'll use this great tech to get high as kites, and screw each other over in new and exciting ways. Rucker never forgets this. For every wonder, there's a moldie lifted on betty who completely fucks it up. For every bit of magic, there's a greedy shit head who makes things worse by trying to control the uncontrollable.

And the very best thing? Rudy Rucker gives the books away. He's made some money off them, and now he just wants you to read them. So you can pick up ebooks versions in a number of formats, in a couple of different places.

The version I used to re-read these books is here: http://www.feedbooks.com/book/4949/the-ware-tetralogy

Donos

RSep1Dj.jpg

Finished Acceptance and with it the Southern Reach trilogy and i am rather disappointed.
I don't need everything explained in books or a happy hollywood ending with everything concluded but this ending left me with a "well, that's it?!"
Read some reddits about the trilogy for some explanations, in case i missed vital details, but there are also only a lot of speculations and guesses.

Sometimes "the journey is the reward" but Book 2 had also parts i had to keep my motivation up. Overall not really satisfied.

Seeing the cover here a few times, i think "The Martian" from Any Weir will be my next book.

Run

Banned
Okay so J saw this on GAF, lurking around a month ago or so.

It was a book centered around exploring the concept of sex has evolved in the 21st century, it had a purple cover, ummm seen it get mentioned around here a few times.

I'm really attempting to find this...

Donos

Okay so J saw this on GAF, lurking around a month ago or so.

It was a book centered around exploring the concept of sex has evolved in the 21st century, it had a purple cover, ummm seen it get mentioned around here a few times.

I'm really attempting to find this...

The Red Queen ? (Matt Ridley)

obin_gam

Taking a break frmo the science fiction instead of continuing on with the Ringworld novels just yet.

Just downloaded Going Clear - that scientology behind the scenes / reveal all book - from audible, which seems very interesting.

Nuke Soda

Saga: Deluxe Edition One- Wow this was amazing. I was expecting good things from this collection of the comic series and it sure as hell delivered. Hopefully Deluxe Edition Two is far off.

Ancillary Sword- Though I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Ancillary Justice I still liked it. The events of book 2 pick up right after the events of part 1. I would mention a basic outline of the plot, but that would spoil book 1. One of the more disappointing aspects of this book to me is that not much happens of importance in this book. The first book was a roller coaster where all kinds of things happened by the 200 page mark, in this book that is when the plot starts to really take shape. Can't wait to see where this series go, as I said Sword is a good book, just not quite as good as Justice.

BorkBork

It's prose poetry basically. Short and light enough that you can go back to it and re-read your favorites or the whole thing, but deep enough to ponder upon.

Yup. I need more prose poems in my life. Anyone here have recommendations?

I just finished No Country for Old Men. Not my favorite McCarthy, but still quite good. I could not stop thinking about it as a Coen movie, though. The way the dialogue works, it just feels like the film could not have been directed by anyone else.

Took someone's recommendation from this thread (I think) and read Broken Monsters. I enjoyed it a lot! The characters reminded me of people that I grew up with so it was a very nostalgic read. However the episodic nature of Lauren Beukes writing can be a bit overzealous. I felt that she was trying to end every chapter with a bang, which was unnecessary. However I liked the ending moreso than I did the ending of Revival.

LProtag

Just finished Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. Slow going at first but as it went on it became brilliant. The second half was certainly hard to put down and I probably read it in half the time it took for me to read the first half.

I could see how everything would come together at the end and it was plotted out pretty excellently. I'm excited for the BBC adaptation!

LProtag

Anddd apparently I can't stay away from Sanderson for too long, knowing that there are still Cosmere books I haven't read.

QCYQfkx.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
I'm reading Matt Reillys new one, the Great Zoo of China. I thought it'd be like Jurassic Park with dragons, turns out it IS Jurassic Park with dragons. Still a fun read though.

Woorloog

Banned
Anddd apparently I can't stay away from Sanderson for too long, knowing that there are still Cosmere books I haven't read.

QCYQfkx.jpg

I don't care much for Elantris (except Hathren (or however it was written) who is great) but that cover art? Damn nice.
I gives a very nice idea of how the Elantris' walls look like. Absolutely wonderful.

(By the way, Elantris rotates the opposite direction compared to Earth, its sun rises from west and sets on east. This can be seen in the prologue. Funny little detail.)

Zukuu

Banned
My audible credit comes up in a week. I need recommendations what to listen to next.

I've heard Wild Cards, Brilliance 1 and 2. Basically, X-Men / Harry Potter (real world with something mystical / powers). Anything similar, or what are some otherwise great listens / reads in general? "Must read" kind of stuff, and not because it's old and has prestige or influenced a genre / time or something, but because it's really good.

LProtag

I don't care much for Elantris (except Hathren (or however it was written) who is great) but that cover art? Damn nice.
I gives a very nice idea of how the Elantris' walls look like. Absolutely wonderful.

(By the way, Elantris rotates the opposite direction compared to Earth, its sun rises from west and sets on east. This can be seen in the prologue. Funny little detail.)

It's interesting so far, but I've only read the first few chapters. I like the premise, at least.

Mr.Swag

Banned
My audible credit comes up in a week. I need recommendations what to listen to next.

I've heard Wild Cards, Brilliance 1 and 2. Basically, X-Men / Harry Potter (real world with something mystical / powers). Anything similar, or what are some otherwise great listens / reads in general? "Must read" kind of stuff, and not because it's old and has prestige or influenced a genre / time or something, but because it's really good.

Were you the poster I recommended the brilliance books to?
What did you think?

Zukuu

Banned
Were you the poster I recommended the brilliance books to?
What did you think?
I think so. :)

Well I have a few problems with how the story evolves, mainly because of the motivation of a few characters, but I enjoyed it enough to become hooked and stick with it. It's decent, otherwise I wouldn't have bought the sequel. :p 3rd entry is still not out for a while, so here I am asking again.

Woorloog

Banned
It's interesting so far, but I've only read the first few chapters. I like the premise, at least.

It is not a bad book, just the weakest one Sanderson has written and i've read, IMO.
It is his first published book, and i understand it is among his earlier works in any case. You can see it in the writing, i think.

Just read Catcher in the Rye for school. Thought it was pretty shit. The main character is just an unpleasant douchebag.

Don't feel bad. It's terribly overrated, imho. It's basically an exercise in voice, and a good one, I guess, but that doesn't make it a novel that Salinger lived his entire life off of.

Corum

Just finished Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. Slow going at first but as it went on it became brilliant. The second half was certainly hard to put down and I probably read it in half the time it took for me to read the first half.

I could see how everything would come together at the end and it was plotted out pretty excellently. I'm excited for the BBC adaptation!

That's good to hear, I'm about 20% through and whilst it's interesting, it's not captivating and can plod along a bit in certain places.

I'm reading Matt Reillys new one, the Great Zoo of China. I thought it'd be like Jurassic Park with dragons, turns out it IS Jurassic Park with dragons. Still a fun read though.

Have you read any of his other books? That description sounds really interesting, but I'm a little wary. I read "Temple" by him and found it to be unfocused and with way too much action at the expense of all else.

Finished Logos, historical novel on the beginnings of christianity of sorts.
Very interesting read though would suggest with reservations. I liked the dazzling tale of Jacob's life as he went through various wartime circumstances and family issues that made him grow, though also at times go through the typical for the genre doubting of his god and faith.

I didnt like the writers over detailing of buildings, people, and places that we all knew would be destroyed swiftly or had no major significance on the plot. It kind of slowed things down and really inflates the book to make me doubt it needed to be 430 pages.

Top Bottom