• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2015)

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Currently reading The Martian by Andy Weir. It's good, though it sometimes goes a bit too much into technical details.

When I'm done with it, I'll move on to either Revival by Stephen King or the latest Murakami book, I think.

Necrovex

Finally finished 1Q84. A ride, while having a few bumps, ended on a fairly good note. I should start focusing on Manning's Malcolm X book now. Though I need to figure out what I read next on my Kindle. Thinking about Goon Squad or City of Stairs...or maybe Mumei's novel. So many options!

10. No Longer Human Volume 1 - Usamaru Furuya / Osamu Dazai Feb 7th, 3.5/5
11. Among the Truthers - Jonathan Kay Feb 7th, 4/5

I'm reading No Longer Human based on a recommendation from the Jan What Are You Reading thread. The library didn't have the actual book so I'm going through the manga. I think I'm better off that way, actually.

Among the Truthers didn't make me as upset as I thought, and it's actually helped me understand (well, understand isn't the right word but it's close) their mindset and how it is shaped. I encourage everyone to read it.

Currently reading Solaris and I think the translation is the reason for the problems I'm having with it in that the language is stilted somewhat.

Also reading Bleeding Violet and if you're a fan of Nightvale you should check it out. I'm not saying they're related in any way but they do have the same atmosphere.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Currently reading through The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin

odbP5Ab.jpg

A really fascinating read so far, though a fair bit more dense than I was expecting, mostly by virtue of all the weird terminology and words for the cultures described. Makes things a little slower going than most books I read through.

Also opinion time -

Whats the general consensus on the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo books? I received the first book as a gift and am a little unsure about it. I've heard a lot of mixed things about it and its pretty far from the kind of stuff I usually read (generally prefer more genre fiction >.>). Is it worth reading or is it kinda meh?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

odbP5Ab.jpg

A really fascinating read so far, though a fair bit more dense than I was expecting, mostly by virtue of all the weird terminology and words for the cultures described. Makes things a little slower going than most books I read through.

First half is slow, second half is epic. Both are vital to the story as a whole. Stick with it.

And for when you are done:

Winter's Tale: The Left Hand of Darkness
The Left Hand of Darkness: Nature, Culture, and Other

Whats the general consensus on the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo books? I received the first book as a gift and am a little unsure about it. I've heard a lot of mixed things about it and its pretty far from the kind of stuff I usually read (generally prefer more genre fiction >.>). Is it worth reading or is it kinda meh?

Decidedly 'meh'. Watch the movie - either version is shorter than the book.

p.s. 'Decidedly 'meh'' was nicer than me calling them 'hot garbage'.

Nuke Soda

odbP5Ab.jpg

Also opinion time -

I liked Dragon Tattoo, slow to start but once it got going it was enjoyable.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
51kVQaZdKWL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Antony Beevor's The Battle for Spain.

Enjoying it so far. Then again, I like my military histories dry and objective, which this book very much is, with some wry anecdotes sparsely interspersed throughout. Beevor gives a comprehensive account of the Spanish politics before and during the Spanish Civil War and the strategy and tactics of the opposing sides. Though his Republican leanings are evident, Beevor de-mystifies the romantic notion of the noble antifascist lost-cause, showing the incompetence, infighting, and Soviet subversion of the Popular Front's civil war within a civil war.

I wish that there were more histories on this fascinating period.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I've heard a lot of mixed things about it and its pretty far from the kind of stuff I usually read (generally prefer more genre fiction >.>). Is it worth reading or is it kinda meh?

Worth reading. There aren't any negatives that immediately come to mind. What were the criticisms you've heard of?

hythloday

Taking a break frmo the science fiction instead of continuing on with the Ringworld novels just yet.

Just downloaded Going Clear - that scientology behind the scenes / reveal all book - from audible, which seems very interesting.

I just finished Going Clear. It was interesting, a lot of things about LRH's life that I didn't know and some honestly depressing snapshots of what has happened to various people that have left (or just tried to leave) the church.

Although, to be critical,
there wasn't all that much in the book that a person couldn't find out by spending some time on the internet. However, putting it in a book that will be released to the general public, combined with a movie and upcoming HBO special, will definitely reach a much larger audience so I see the value in it.

I decided to jump into the world of Robin Hobb, so today I started Assassin's Apprentice.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
51kVQaZdKWL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Antony Beevor's The Battle for Spain.

Enjoying it so far. Then again, I like my military histories dry and objective, which this book very much is, with some wry anecdotes sparsely interspersed throughout. Beevor gives a comprehensive account of the Spanish politics before and during the Spanish Civil War and the strategy and tactics of the opposing sides. Though his Republican leanings are evident, Beevor de-mystifies the romantic notion of the noble antifascist lost-cause, showing the incompetence, infighting, and Soviet subversion of the Popular Front's civil war within a civil war.

I wish that there were more histories on this fascinating period.
Interesting. I have this book which I need to read at some point. I don't know if there's an English translation
principal-los-mitos-de-la-guerra-civil-es.jpg

Finished Tales From the Radiation today and moving on to Sphere so I can listen to Giant Bomb's Bomb After Reading podcast episode about it.

Sphere by Michael Crichton

Speaking of tales from the radiation age, has anyone read the Wasteland 2 anthology yet? If so, how is it?

survivor

Banned
v5ImGb5.jpg
LqIATgs.jpg

Finished reading The Remains of the Day, what a great book. Who knew a story about an English butler in the 50s reminiscing over his work over the past ~30 years would be so good. The concept doesn't really sound that exciting at first, but Ishiguro managed to write a really compelling account of romance and European politics. Gonna have to read his other books soon, especially Never Let Me Go which I bought like 3 years ago but for some reason never bothered to read it yet.

I also finished reading Suspended Sentences by the latest Nobel prize winner. I personally never heard about him before, but it seems like majority of the non-speaking French world haven't either going by the online comments when he won it. Anyway it's a collection of three short stories, they don't share any narrative connection, but thematically they feel the same. Stories of men trying to remember parts of their earlier life or information about people they met while they were still young. Also based on podcasts and few articles I read on Patrick Modiano, some of the events of the short stories seem to be related to his life growing up in Paris after WW2. It's not exactly the same, but bits and pieces seems to be placed into the stories, like some notorious French gang with connections to Germany during the war. Similar to the one his dad might have been involved with during the war as well.

Apt101

I picked up S tonight, J.J Abrams and Doug Dorst. Came shrink-wrapped in a case and leatherbound. Kind of excited to sit down with it later this week.

besada

Banned
Just finished re-reading Ringworld. So good. It was nice to see Louis Wu and Teela Brown and Speaker and Nessus again.

I also read Stephen King's Revival not too long ago. I liked it, but I'm a fan of King's later, less overtly supernatural, work.

Now onto Italo Calvino.

mid83

I'm really trying to pick up reading more this year. Pretty awesome thread that I'll start following each month. Right now I have three books going.

51RLOm1XmeL.jpg

The+Third+Secret.jpg

9780140449266.jpg

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I recently finished a couple of great books:

20646731.jpg

The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley

On the surface, The Mirror Empire, the first volume in Hurley’s The World Breaker Saga, is an epic fantasy about two warring empires. Not a wholly original concept, but Hurley’s take on the familiar story is a relentless avalanche of a novel that crams so many original ideas — clever magic, the intertwining politics of the warring empires, cultures with non-binary genders — that the familiarity of the overall plot is a beacon for readers to orient themselves while navigating Hurley’s twisted imagination. Her willingness to overtly and wholly subvert conventional genre tropes, specifically the Hero’s Journey, is a testament to both Hurley’s understanding of the genre and her willingness to tear the house down around her just so she can build it up again. The Mirror Empire works both as a traditional secondary world fantasy, and as a complete dissection of the genre — few authors have the chops to pull off such a bold narrative.

My full review.

StationElevenHCUS2.jpg

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Station Eleven is a tremendous achievement of character and speculation, a gorgeous examination of life before and after a moment in history that challenges humanity to be better, to grow from its most despairing moment into something stronger and more beautiful than before. Mandel poses an impossible question: Is this post-apocalyptic Earth worse off than what came before? To challenge readers in such a way, to take a tired genre and tilt it just to the point that its beauty begins to show through the grime, proves that Mandel is one of our most thoughtful and elegant writers.

The last time a novel created such an intense reaction in me was Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus. It’s quiet and riveting, beautiful in its optimism, and avoids so many of the general cliches of post-apocalyptic fiction, while still subverting its tropes in interesting ways. GJust gorgeous all around,. Station Eleven should be on every bookshelf — creased and worn, dog-eared and well-loved.

My full review.

I'm now reading Fortune's Pawn by Rachel Bach. A ton of fun!

15790894.jpg

I finished Solaris yesterday. Reading this after the Southern Reach Trilogy actually helped me figure out what both authors were trying to do: They are both stories about not understanding the things that are outside of human comprehension and trying to find a way to make sense of it all. Excellent book, if a little stilted (but I blame that on the translation).

Carlisle

The_Martian_2014.jpg

Currently reading it and loving the main character

Just finished this last night. What a thrillride! And an educational one to boot. All around satisfying book, great read.

Guess I should finish up Catching Fire next so I can do A Feast for Crows before the next season starts. Then back to Mockingjay before the last movie. Ugh I read too sparingly to get anywhere with books quickly.

Donos

I finished Solaris yesterday. Reading this after the Southern Reach Trilogy actually helped me figure out what both authors were trying to do: They are both stories about not understanding the things that are outside of human comprehension and trying to find a way to make sense of it all. Excellent book, if a little stilted (but I blame that on the translation).

Your thoughts on Southern Reach? Like stated a page before it left me a bit disappointed.

On the surface, The Mirror Empire, the first volume in Hurley’s The World Breaker Saga, is an epic fantasy about two warring empires. Not a wholly original concept, but Hurley’s take on the familiar story is a relentless avalanche of a novel that crams so many original ideas — clever magic, the intertwining politics of the warring empires, cultures with non-binary genders — that the familiarity of the overall plot is a beacon for readers to orient themselves while navigating Hurley’s twisted imagination. Her willingness to overtly and wholly subvert conventional genre tropes, specifically the Hero’s Journey, is a testament to both Hurley’s understanding of the genre and her willingness to tear the house down around her just so she can build it up again. The Mirror Empire works both as a traditional secondary world fantasy, and as a complete dissection of the genre — few authors have the chops to pull off such a bold narrative.

Great description, as is the one for the other book in your post. Can't wait to read both of them. They've both gotten their fair share of praise.

Thats a memorable one, surprised there are people who havent read it in 2015.

I'm surprised there are people who haven't read Shakespeare. I mean it's been around forever. /s

Your thoughts on Southern Reach? Like stated a page before it left me a bit disappointed.

I felt much the same when I finished it: A little disappointed. However, having had time to mull it over and see some other reactions here and on Goodreads (and read Solaris) I really like the story. It gave enough to keep you wondering, but not enough to spell it all out. It's a book about aliens. The beginning of this review of Solaris explains what I'm thinking about:
Many sci-fi authors think that they write about aliens. The truth is, they really don't. Instead, they essentially write about humans. Most sci-fi aliens are little more than an allegory for humanity, a mirror through which we can see ourselves - maybe slightly different-looking, with more (or fewer) appendages, different senses, funny names, different social structures - but still unmistakably human.
Because of this, The Southern Reach trilogy isn't really about the aliens, it's about how that errant spark of life is affecting Earth. There's no way to know where it came from because that's not what the book is about.

I have Roadside Picnic on my list at the library, I just have to wait for the lone copy to arrive. Really looking forward to it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Many sci-fi authors think that they write about aliens. The truth is, they really don't. Instead, they essentially write about humans. Most sci-fi aliens are little more than an allegory for humanity, a mirror through which we can see ourselves - maybe slightly different-looking, with more (or fewer) appendages, different senses, funny names, different social structures - but still unmistakably human.
I hear that.

Brickhunt

Last Sunday I started reading the Eye of the World. I've read the first three chapters and was liking it. Too bad yesterday I've had a bad headache and today is my Girlfriend's birthday, so only tomorrow I can go back to the reading.

Mumei

Oh, and I started my re-read of Dune. I last read it in 2004, and there's sort of a pleasing nostalgia when I come across lines or scenes that I remember. I have a feeling that those moments will be less frequent as I go forward, though.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I also read Stephen King's Revival not too long ago. I liked it, but I'm a fan of King's later, less overtly supernatural, work.

Even on his bad days, I find his stories easy to chow down. I got Revival, Full Dark, Salem's Lot and Lisey's Story on my to read list -- not entirely sure which one to go with yet though.

Donos

I don't have read any S.King book so far, so i'm going to put some on the todo-list.
What are 3 of his best ? (except The Stand - going to read this one anyway someday)

I'm about 2/3 through The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson and I would say it's pretty disappointing so far. Wax/Wayne are okay characters but are not nearly as fun as Vin/Kelsier or even Elend in the first three books.

I don't have read any S.King book so far, so i'm going to put some on the todo-list.
What are 3 of his best ? (except The Stand - going to read this one anyway someday)

11/22/63 is my favorite of his. Rounding out the top three is The Stand and The Shining, IMO.

mid83

Oh, and I started my re-read of Dune. I last read it in 2004, and there's sort of a pleasing nostalgia when I come across lines or scenes that I remember. I have a feeling that those moments will be less frequent as I go forward, though.

Dune is on my to read list for sure. I tried to read it in high school but found it boring at the time. Hopefully being in my early 30's makes it easier to enjoy this time.

Are the sequels worth the read? It looks like there are well over a dozen Dune books out there.

Woorloog

Banned
Are the sequels worth the read? It looks like there are well over a dozen Dune books out there.

Dune, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune form a trilogy. Worth a read. God Emperor of Dune is interesting but... well, it is kind of odd.
Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune don't really feel like Dune to me anymore.

Do not waste your time with Kevin J. Anderson's and Brian Herbert's Dune sequels, interquels and prequels. They're badly written and plotted, and turn Dune into some kind of standard terrible space opera. The writers miss half of what Frank Herbert meant, and half they re-write or retcon just because.

Finished The Death of Vishnu last night.
Vishnu dies!
It was interesting and entertaining, but kinda boring for the first half.

Now I'm reading Two Crimes by Jorge Ibargüengoitia. Pretty good so far, I'm 5 pages in and I'm liking his way of writing pretty much. Can't wait for my next break.

Piecake

Great description, as is the one for the other book in your post. Can't wait to read both of them. They've both gotten their fair share of praise.

I was not a fan of that book and gave up half way. I thought the characters were very flat and their interactions and dialogues not very convincing or interesting.

suzu

I finished reading City of Stairs, by Robert Jackson Bennett. The world was really interesting and I liked the main character. It didn't blow me away, but it was an enjoyable read.

KidDork

SwordArt_Aincrad1.jpg

Finished Memories of Ice and needed a break before I charged forward. So I went with this.

It's early doors so far, but it's far better than I expected. I've watched both seasons of the anime and appreciate learning more about the world. The importance of 'sword skills' never clicked with me from the anime. So now I know Kirito ain't all that.

lt519

Just finished David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell. Standard book of his, not definitive, but an extremely interesting take on what makes underdogs so powerful and giants misled. Packed full of interesting history lessons and relation to modern situations.

Reading The Atlantis Gene and What the Dog Saw right now

Top Bottom