• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

Hitler--644x362.jpg

Er ist wieder da (He's back)

Hitler reappears in the Berlin of 2011. Don't know what to make of it yet.

I hope you bought the sears hitler tea kettle to go along with that

thomaser

Finished book 1 of Murakami's 1Q84. Really enjoyed it, and can't wait to continue with book 2. I'm reading a short book in between, though: The Blue Riband by Peter York.
415iMGWEsYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_OU02_.jpg

It's part of a series of books about all the lines of the London Underground. This one is about the Piccadilly Line. A little about the architecture and design of the tube itself, a little about people who have been important for the development of the tube, and bits and pieces about the above-ground areas linked by this line (mostly the central areas, not so much Cockfosters and so on). Lightly interesting for me, but probably much more interesting for people who live in London and understand all the references.

Nymerio

We'll see. My interest in the series has grown with the high praise it is receiving, and the third book is coming next year. It's a good time to jump in and see if I like it.

went into that book with really high expectations and got let down

Yeah, I'd hold my expectations in check with the first malazan book. I'm really into the malazan series right now but the first book is kinda shitty. I liked Name of the Wind a lot more, it's amazing.

I found the beginning really slow with the new characters, but I'm just about 50% done, and now really enjoying it.

I'm also finding it a little slow, although it's an enjoyable slow from what I've read (about 8 chapters so far). I do miss the Caliban's War cast. I'm sure that all the new characters will really grow on me, but it's definitely an adjustment period right now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The Name of the Wind is a children's book.

ShaneB

I'm also finding it a little slow, although it's an enjoyable slow from what I've read (about 8 chapters so far). I do miss the Caliban's War cast. I'm sure that all the new characters will really grow on me, but it's definitely an adjustment period right now.

Yeah, slow was poor wording. It was all very interesting since I was glad to come back to the series, but I wanted to jump right back into the characters I knew directly. I'm now nearing 70% done, definitely fully into this now and it's gripping me to marathon it, everything full swing now.

oatmeal

Banned
The Guards of the Rim thing is heavily reminiscent of ASOIAF's Night Watch, but it's not that bad since the setting as a whole feels pretty fresh.

He hadn't actually read any of those books and only got into it when Season 2 started.

As for it being in real-world Earth...it's not...yet.

David Hollow from what I read in the beginning was really neat actually. I'm determined to finish it. Like you mentioned, I really liked the somewhat wild west feeling to it. And I also got a bit of an ASOIF vibe as well as a bit of Stephen King's The Dark Tower.

These Lone Wolf & Cub trades are quick reads. About 300 pages with plenty of art, so I'll get back to David Hollow after 1 or 2 more Lone Wolf & Cub volumes.

I think TDT was his biggest influence.

Tenrius

He hadn't actually read any of those books and only got into it when Season 2 started.

As for it being in real-world Earth...it's not...yet.

I think TDT was his biggest influence.

Ha, okay. They talk about Machiavelli's The Prince at some point early on, so I just assumed it was some sort of a post-apocalyptic world. I'll just keep on reading then and no spoilers! Just got to
the telling
, seems things are about to go down.

My only real complaint so far is the overuse of "for". There's just too much of "this thing happened for that thing is this way" in the narrative and said by characters. Feels kinda out of place.

Brick

Finally gave in and started reading A Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones. I have to admit, I'm really enjoying it and am a little sad it took me this long to pick it up. I'm a slow reader, so I'm only about 1/2 way through the book, but I'm loving it so far. Should I wait until I've read the books before watching the series, or is it better to read one book, then watch one season? Thoughts?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Finally gave in and started reading A Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones. I have to admit, I'm really enjoying it and am a little sad it took me this long to pick it up. I'm a slow reader, so I'm only about 1/2 way through the book, but I'm loving it so far. Should I wait until I've read the books before watching the series, or is it better to read one book, then watch one season? Thoughts?
Read, then watch. The books are better, so if you care about spoilers it's better if the books are unspoiled. :)

ShaneB

That sounds like a plan. Normally, I'm much more of a tv/movie guy, but I am enjoying Martin's writing style so much that I have no problem holding off.

Stay far away from ANYTHING GoT related. Spoilers run rampant now with the tv show being so popular and a good portion through book 3, so do be careful.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Stay far away from ANYTHING GoT related. Spoilers run rampant now with the tv show being so popular and a good portion through book 3, so do be careful.
True. Avoid even Googling ASoIaF/GoT-related words, cause the Google autocomplete can have spoilers.

Brick

This does not bode well for me, considering how slowly I read. Time to laser focus, methinks.

GRW810

41rGfP1QN5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-67,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

40 pages in, not sure about it yet. Just feels like World War Z with robots instead of zombies.

I bought the entire Lord of the Rings series (including The Hobbit) for just £1 recently. Never read the books before so I'm considering diving in next, but I really want to read the new Dark Tower entry Wind Through the Keyhole as soon as I can.

ag-my001

Just read through the entirety of "Northanger Abbey" by Austen on the recommendation of a co-worker. It's a little uneven, but highly entertaining. I'd suggest finding an actual book copy or using a dedicated tablet: reading on my S3 made it a bit confusing at times with the extended sentences and sometimes vague speaker.

lightus

Finally finished A Dance with Dragons. Took me about a month longer than it should have.

Now I'm in the mood for a shorter sci-fi book, any suggestions?

I have Halo: Cryptum sitting there from when I was more into Halo. Is it any good?

eattomorro

Neo Member
Finished up The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes today and have to say I left it somewhat disappointed. The author had a real chance to make a cool story out of the time travelling serial killer idea, but after a while the book went straight into B movie slasher mode and felt not properly edited. Oh well.

Now for some different Sci-fi With Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey. Can't wait to get the 3rd book tomorrow!

12591698.jpg

Cdammen

Light summer reading for me, Stephen King's The Dome, but not so light in weight. This thing is huge and annoying to hold. I like the book though. It really does start with a bang and hasn't run out of steam yet. I'm about 100 pages in and stuff just keeps on happening this poor little town. Love disaster fiction :)

lightus

^ Fahrenheit 451

Would I miss anything if I read dance dance dance before a wild sheep chase?

You know, I haven't read that yet. Would be a good change of pace, I'll pick it up tomorrow! Been meaning to read it for awhile now.

Nezumi

I'm still listening to this:

628568kurt7.jpg.jpg

The book is awesome and I'll definitly check out more of Vonnegut's writing in the future, but man is Ethan Hawk overdoing it with his "dramatic" reading.

Moff

Now for some different Sci-fi With Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey. Can't wait to get the 3rd book tomorrow!

12591698.jpg

the third one is relased tomorrow?
wow that is great news, I finished leviathan wakes last week and I am now halfway thorugh caliban's war. It's pretty ok.

Jay Sosa

reading that:

books

his worst book I've read. Already skipped that chapter about Velikovsky, not sure if I'll finish it.

got this for my bday:

gotta love the way of teh samurai..basically it's kill everyone and then commit suicide. still, fun read.

and got my buffy season 9 prt 3 comic today, love this season so far, way better than the last.

Pau

Finished book 1 of Murakami's 1Q84. Really enjoyed it, and can't wait to continue with book 2. I'm reading a short book in between, though: The Blue Riband by Peter York.

It's part of a series of books about all the lines of the London Underground. This one is about the Piccadilly Line. A little about the architecture and design of the tube itself, a little about people who have been important for the development of the tube, and bits and pieces about the above-ground areas linked by this line (mostly the central areas, not so much Cockfosters and so on). Lightly interesting for me, but probably much more interesting for people who live in London and understand all the references.

Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee

An amazing book and a real eye-opener. Would recommend to anyone interested in American history and the plight of the American Indians.

Delusions of Gender

Amazing.
These all sound great! I wonder if there's something similar to the London Underground books about the NYC Subway.

Mumei, if I want to start reading about gender, is this a good place to start or do you recommend a better starting point?

Mumei

Mumei, if I want to start reading about gender, is this a good place to start or do you recommend a better starting point?

In addition to the aforementioned (which really is an amazing overview):

6261075.jpg
4054212.jpg
4914761.jpg

15025158.jpg
407166.jpg
861822.jpg

12740205.jpg
108295.jpg
1051091.jpg

3753955.jpg
999506.jpg

There's also some more formative stuff that I haven't read yet but is highly recommended nonetheless such as Judith Butler's Gender Trouble, or Raewyn Connelly's Masculinities. I need to read Gender Trouble in particular because Dude You're A Fag explicitly uses it as the basis of its analyses. Of those pictured, I'd probably start with The Gendered Society.

Brick

Finally finished A Dance with Dragons. Took me about a month longer than it should have.

Now I'm in the mood for a shorter sci-fi book, any suggestions?

I have Halo: Cryptum sitting there from when I was more into Halo. Is it any good?

The Foundation series by Isaac Asimov is my favorite Sci-Fi series. Short, compact, and is really well written.

ShaneB

Making my way through the climax of Abaddon's Gate, should finish it tonight. I'm on the edge of my seat!! Loving it.

Kaladin

Finally finished:

In the Acknowledgements, Sanderson mentions that he first started writing this book in 2007, and had to shelf it for Wheels of Time. I'm glad he went back to it. He turned out a good YA novel with the depth you expect from his longer adult fantasy novels. I look forward to the implied sequels as they should explore the world even further with the basics in place.

Moving on to:

Been looking forward to this one.

I'm also still in the middle of Sanderson's "The Way of Kings".

Played a game of chess after years of not playing and remembered how horrible I am at it so I went and bought this and read it in one sitting.

41t9nZYIelL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Now onto

200px-Superfreakonomicslowrescover.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom