• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Dr.Morris79

Yeah, it will be via emulation. I played only an hour or so, but it seemed to run fine. Series X is not an option unfortunately, it's not hardware I'm interested in. I do hope Konami puts out official remasters of both Homecoming and Downpour. Even though they are not as highly regarded as the games by Team Silent, they are still good enough to be trapped on the PS360 era. They deserve a better fate.
It should, should.. run much better than both then. Homecoming is the only one I havent played yet but it's installed on my deck ready for a long haul flight next week, along with shattered memories on the PS2 emulator, it's the only thing i'm looking forward to, I hate flying 👀

Yeah both games need a bit more love. Downpour definitely needs a Steam release or over on GOG at the very least.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Remnant 2 - currently tied with FFXVI as my GOTY frontrunner, wonderful sequel from Gunfire.

Remnant 1 - went back to this just to compare but decided to check out the DLC and get the last few trophies for the plat, still very much worth playing even if R2 is your entry point into the series.

Street Fighters 6 - finished the fantastic World Tour mode a few weeks ago and have been playing Ranked online battles ever since whenever the mood strikes me. In short, this is one of the greatest fighting games ever made.

Waiting for: WrestleQuest and ACVI 👌

Alpha Male

Series X
Battlefield 2042
Halo Infinite multiplayer
Flight Sim
EA Sports PGA Tour
Super Mega Baseball 4

PS5
Age of Wonders Planetfall

Switch OLED handheld
Tears of the Kingdom

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
The thing is, Mother didn‘t really hold up in a lot of ways even for 1989 standards.
The graphics are (intentionally) crude, the grind is egregious, the menus are cumbersome, etc. But all of that has to be made on purpose, because most of it returned as-is in Earthbound. It’s clear someone at Nintendo understood the idiosyncrasies and limitations of the console JRPG genre and decided to somewhat parody them by doubling sown on them. There’s zero reason Mother 1 has to be so raw and tedious considering it came 3 full years after Dragon Quest (which already had 3 games out at the time, with 4 coming soon) and 2 years after FF (with the third FF game around the corner). “Realistic” inventory limitations in a game with aliens and magic realms? Having to go through so many steps to manage money? Lengthy, repetitive dialogue every time you want to save the game? Sprawling places where every screen looks like any other? Nintendo had already moved past that 8-bit shit with their previous games, so all of that in Mother is absolutely there because they wanted it to be that way.

That’s also part of the charm of the games, though. It’s just awfully tiring to play today. The grind and the aimless wandering are the things I could do without in Mother 1, plus the infuriating RNG. The game was a chore to play, but it’s unforgettable.

I haven't played any of the Mother games but I always felt they were overhyped. All 3 games are on a GBA Emulator I have. I'm gonna be playing those next year. I might start with the 3rd game since I know alot of what happens in the 2nd game

Mr Hyde

It should, should.. run much better than both then. Homecoming is the only one I havent played yet but it's installed on my deck ready for a long haul flight next week, along with shattered memories on the PS2 emulator, it's the only thing i'm looking forward to, I hate flying 👀

Yeah both games need a bit more love. Downpour definitely needs a Steam release or over on GOG at the very least.

I played the Steam version of Homecoming, but since the game is broken and unplayable I had to download an unofficial patch from some dude who had reverse engineered the code. Thanks the patch it was now fully playable at 4K 60 with no annoying QTEs. So if you bought Homecoming on Steam, be sure to install that patch 🙂

Dr.Morris79

I played the Steam version of Homecoming, but since the game is broken and unplayable I had to download an unofficial patch from some dude who had reverse engineered the code. Thanks the patch it was now fully playable at 4K 60 with no annoying QTEs. So if you bought Homecoming on Steam, be sure to install that patch 🙂
I'm glad you said, I was just under the impression it would just need a proton change..

That would of been great finding that out with no Wifi :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Cheers for that, i'll look into that later :)

Dr.Morris79

Dr.Morris79 Dr.Morris79

Here is the site where you can download the patch.

And here is the video I used that explain how you install it (or maybe you're savvy enough to do it yourself but I figured I post it anyway ☺️)

Cheers Mr Hyde, that made it a lot, lot easier :messenger_sunglasses:

I havent lost it just yet though when it comes to modding stuff, i'm one of those weird people who even misses the days of trouble shooting Windows 98/XP red/blue screens for people

No one rings anymore :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mr Hyde

Cheers Mr Hyde, that made it a lot, lot easier :messenger_sunglasses:

I havent lost it just yet though when it comes to modding stuff, i'm one of those weird people who even misses the days of trouble shooting Windows 98/XP red/blue screens for people

No one rings anymore :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The PC modding community is awesome. Appreciate all of you greatly, even if it's just for trouble shooting blue screens on Windows XP 😉

Gorgon

Now playing Baldur's Gate 3. Together with Kingdom Come: Deliverance I feel that there's still hope for videogaming after all.

The thing is, Mother didn‘t really hold up in a lot of ways even for 1989 standards.
The graphics are (intentionally) crude, the grind is egregious, the menus are cumbersome, etc. But all of that has to be made on purpose, because most of it returned as-is in Earthbound. It’s clear someone at Nintendo understood the idiosyncrasies and limitations of the console JRPG genre and decided to somewhat parody them by doubling sown on them. There’s zero reason Mother 1 has to be so raw and tedious considering it came 3 full years after Dragon Quest (which already had 3 games out at the time, with 4 coming soon) and 2 years after FF (with the third FF game around the corner). “Realistic” inventory limitations in a game with aliens and magic realms? Having to go through so many steps to manage money? Lengthy, repetitive dialogue every time you want to save the game? Sprawling places where every screen looks like any other? Nintendo had already moved past that 8-bit shit with their previous games, so all of that in Mother is absolutely there because they wanted it to be that way.

That’s also part of the charm of the games, though. It’s just awfully tiring to play today. The grind and the aimless wandering are the things I could do without in Mother 1, plus the infuriating RNG. The game was a chore to play, but it’s unforgettable.

Yeah, i'm playing the GBA version of Mother 1 with a translation patch that gives you access to an equippable item called an "Easy Ring" which doubles the amount of EXP and money you get from battles and halves the random encounter rate. That's probably why i'm already half way through the game, and it's manageable. There are hints here and there on where to go and the map is so cluttered with inaccessible areas that the act of exploring usually nudges me in the right direction. There are flaws i anticipated, so i knew what i was getting myself into.

I couldn't play Earthbound without first playing the original Mother. I want to play the entire trilogy. Is it worth it? I think absolutely. But, i would suggest modern 'enhancements' like the GBA version with the translation patch and save states, rewind, etc.

Osthyvel

Such an awesome game! Can't wait for a sequel. It's so upsetting that they never at least attempted to port the game to PS5 or simply give it a 60fps patch.

Damn, reading these things makes me curious about the game, its on sale now, i have to many games to play but..... 😭

sedg87

Obscure
Was gonna start Amnesia: Dark Descent, but then I remembered that I had started this a while ago and never finished. Not really sure why I lost interest as I like pretty much everything about it, particularly the setting and having two characters to control. Anywho, I'm in the basement and the monsters have gotten a lot tougher.

Need to stop starting new games when my backlog is pretty big!

Last edited:
I owned Earthbound SNES and finally got around to playing it in 2010. I quit about halfway through. It is majorly overhyped. I adore the original Dragon Warrior, and Earthbound is essentially a carbon copy in design. However, it is somehow less of a game than a 1986 NES RPG. The combat in particular is dreadful, as there is too much RNG involved. The game just wasn’t fun. I feel it’s just a gimmicky game that makes fun of Americans and RPGs.

I sold it for a (eye-watering at the time) $700.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Yeah, i'm playing the GBA version of Mother 1 with a translation patch that gives you access to an equippable item called an "Easy Ring" which doubles the amount of EXP and money you get from battles and halves the random encounter rate. That's probably why i'm already half way through the game, and it's manageable. There are hints here and there on where to go and the map is so cluttered with inaccessible areas that the act of exploring usually nudges me in the right direction. There are flaws i anticipated, so i knew what i was getting myself into.

I couldn't play Earthbound without first playing the original Mother. I want to play the entire trilogy. Is it worth it? I think absolutely. But, i would suggest modern 'enhancements' like the GBA version with the translation patch and save states, rewind, etc.
I can’t even begin to imagine playing Mother without the Easy Ring. Based patch. The idea of having half the Exp and double the random encounters… *shivers*

Alright, I beat Assassin's Creed Origins. I have some mixed feelings.

Overall I really liked the game even though it was way more RPGesqueish than I expected after having played the first game in the series. I thought there would be more "modern day" plot elements to the story, but surprisingly there was basically none. I'm not upset about it really, though I did like it in the first game especially the way it left you hanging.

While I had a rough time getting into the game initially, by the time I left Siwa and headed towards Alexandria I started to really get into it. From that point on I was really in to it, I loved it. I enjoyed getting those marks, going to each area and doing all the supporting side quests illuminating more of what was going on with the main target of that zone (crocodile, hyena, etc). Where this falls flat for me as at the culmination of all of that - when you go back to the northern part of the Nile to meet Cleopatra once they are all dead and the "Battle for the Nile" quest begins or near abouts. At this point the game sort of goes off rails completely. There are abrupt stops to sequences, time skips that don't feel natural (even if they are short periods of time), and just jumps in general that feel very janky. Once all that is over with it unfortunately doesn't really get any better. Going back to Siwa was interesting, but I would have really liked there to me more than just the corpse of a friend there that absorbed all of Bayek's attention - what about the technological marvel right in front of you? No comment about that whatsoever? Just odd.. I thought they would go into some of the artifacts in more detail for the plot but really scarcely mentioned or shown.

Going after the final two marks was not very exciting for me either - they both end up as boss fights basically and the supporting quests in the area aren't so much as supporting quests as opposed to side quests that aren't related. And those are fine, I like most of those, but in this case I expected more to be focused on the mark target like in the rest of the game so it was disappointing. I don't really mind the big naval battles, but they aren't super engaging either. Once or twice would have been enough for me, but I think you end up doing it 3 or 4 times. It's a cool spectacle the first time or two. Going to Rome was OK, I again don't like how it boiled down to a couple cutscenes, a boss, a small stealth segment though, but in this case I understand why - it's not geographically close to the area they developed for this game and is just the ending, I can let that pass. The scene with Caesar was cool, though. I was thinking in the scene with Cleopatra they were going to show the whole snake thing - but it makes sense that they didn't because it happened much later than Julius' death. As a general rule the final areas you visit in the game just aren't as appealing as some of the earlier areas as a whole. I understand why, it's geography, but there must have been something more they could have done.

One major question I have about the story though is that Bayek and Aya pretty much split, take up homes in completely different regions to do their own thing - yet in the "future" they are both entombed in the same Egyptian tomb. Why and how? This doesn't appear to be explained and while it made sense throughout most of the game, towards the end that is not as convincing for me they would end up in the same place.

Gameplay is fine - it's serviceable and enjoyable for the most part. I like assassinating targets in general. The AI/stealth system is too easily abused once you get used to how it functions, but it is what it is. I can't complain a whole lot from a gameplay perspective. The whole upgrading weapons and whatnot seems fairly pointless, I changed weapons maybe a handful of times the whole game and did fine. I did upgrade the static parts though (attack/range/quiver/etc) occasionally. The abilities aren't all that compelling, though some of the quality of life ones are nice (passive loot pickup, etc). Maybe there's more there than I give it credit for though. I mostly ignored the ability tree. I played on a hard and while I had a challenging moment here and there, it was enjoyable.

Loved exploring Egypt, it's great. Though surprisingly the main quest never takes you to about 6-7 of the provinces, by the end of the game there were about 6-7 unexplored regions in my map (meaning I had never set foot there). I might check them out now in the post game as I considering going to do some sidequests I skipped in some areas.

Overall I really liked the game - I loved it and couldn't put it down until the end/last couple of hours. It really falls apart there but doesn't destroy the whole experience. I'd highly recommend it in general. Now I'll be looking to step back and acquire the Ezio trilogy to start Assassin's Creed II.

Because Diablo 4 is laggy as SHIT (trying to redownload now, that‘s all there is left) and while I wait for CoD Vanguard of Men of Medan to load I decided to buy and play another classic…

Killzone Liberation

Ok, why did noone tell me Guerilla actually made a game that is also fun to play? This game is rad. Taking me by surprise right there.

kunonabi

Got bored with tears of kingdom so I'm playing the Centennial Case and the new double dragon until Texas chainsaw Massacre comes out along with my daily dragonball: the breakers sessions.

sedg87

Alone in the Dark: New Nightmare
Went back and finished this. Some decent locations, creepy music and I enjoyed the story, but the enemies were a bit boring and I had some glitches along the way. Enjoyed it despite the few flaws.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Only played for twenty minutes. The atmosphere is fantastic and I really like the setting. Seems like the first horror game in years that might actually scare me!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Been playing some more Deadly Premonition. I think I'll make a bigger post in the most recent dedicated thread but the game continues to amaze me with the sheer ambition from the creators on their minuscule budget. Some of the best characters in gaming, endearing and memorable and a game play model that wants to be a 100 million GTA at 1/100th of the budget.

Most peoples point of reference to the game is the Giant Bomb endurance run but those guys just covered the main story. The game has roughly 50~ side quests and all of them have a lot of story for characters that adds so much more to the games lore and world. Characters who don't have a single speaking line if you just follow the main story have multiple chains of side quests dedicated to them.

So after finishing Assassin's Creed Origins I am still playing my save file just exploring and doing whatever I didn't before..

Is there any backstory to the Final Fantasy quest in this game? I can tell it's an FF XV character cameo but why? Square and Ubi? Was something special going on at that time? And Lol!! I love the "chocobo" you unlock. Hilarious

dmVvcwZ.jpg

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengeance of the Slayer

Just died to the evil toilet. His poop soldiers are nothing but I wasnt sure if I was really damaging the toilet or not.

I typically only play one single player game at a time so it surprises even myself that I'm currently playing:

Eiyuden Chronicle
FF16 (my daughter wanted to watch)
Diablo 2 remastered
Diablo 4

Playing D2 Solo but D4 with my brother.
My daughter is loving 16. She basically plays Roblox so she says it's like watching a movie, reading a book and playing a game all in one.

Majormaxxx

So after finishing Assassin's Creed Origins I am still playing my save file just exploring and doing whatever I didn't before..

Is there any backstory to the Final Fantasy quest in this game? I can tell it's an FF XV character cameo but why? Square and Ubi? Was something special going on at that time? And Lol!! I love the "chocobo" you unlock. Hilarious

dmVvcwZ.jpg
It was a cross promo and was super fun!

Dazraell

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion on Steam and Batman: Arkham Knight on PS4

It's my first time playing Crisis Core. I dig the story and I'm quite pleased with the quality of cutscenes, but gameplay is kinda meh

On the other hand, this is my second playthrough of Arkham Knight. I initially played it on PC when the game was released. Unlike disastrous PC port, the game plays really well on PS4 and this is a much better way to experience it. I'm still not a big fan of extensive reliance on batmobile and think some of the side quests are way too repetitve for my liking. The game still has great gameplay and in general I'm really enjoying its open world

Damn, reading these things makes me curious about the game, its on sale now, i have to many games to play but..... 😭
It's really good. If you're into games like Fallout it feels very similar just with better graphics. The amount of scenarios you can create are hilarious.

sedg87

Breath of Fire 4
Just reached the Tidal Flats. I'm yet to fish in BOF4, and this looks like an ideal place to have a quick few casts. Going to sink another three hours into this before I listen to the football tonight, and then after that, I might start Dino Crisis. I loved Dino Crisis 2 when I was a kid and beat it numerous times, but I never put more than two to three hours into the original.

Saber

Hogwarts Legacy

Has such a big scale, but good lord...the combat mechanics are annoying(protego simulator?) and the lock-on is terrible. Also almost 100% of characters I meet are straight up boring or unbearable. Most of times I don't care about them. And whats up with that much of openworld fetching quests?
I'm still mega happy for this game, but theres a good amount of downs there as well.

I finished basically every current game I was playing, and I didn't buy Baldur's Gate 3 so I decided to go back to my comfort game, Dragon's Dogma. Am doing a Mystic knight shield-only run. Everything is going well and I'm at level 76 at the moment. I'm looking for more of a challenge, so I'm not doing much of a min-maxing by running sorcerer from 10-100 and so forth. This is a solo run, so no pawns, and BBI gear is limited from only after I beat Daimon for the first time.

Genshin Impact gets the 4.0 update on the 16th, so I'll probably just play that for a good week or 2 until I do most of the content in Fontaine.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
One major question I have about the story though is that Bayek and Aya pretty much split, take up homes in completely different regions to do their own thing - yet in the "future" they are both entombed in the same Egyptian tomb. Why and how? This doesn't appear to be explained and while it made sense throughout most of the game, towards the end that is not as convincing for me they would end up in the same place.
The only explanation I can think of is that originally Bayek was supposed to die about 1/3rd of the game in & the player would continue as Aya.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

On chapter 4. Just got through this cutscene and I unironically think its actually pretty great lol. Lightning has a pretty entertaining and understandable personality.

The voice acting is legitimately great. Hearing Ali Hillis humiliate Joel from The Last of Us is amazing.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Breath of Fire 4
Just reached the Tidal Flats. I'm yet to fish in BOF4, and this looks like an ideal place to have a quick few casts. Going to sink another three hours into this before I listen to the football tonight, and then after that, I might start Dino Crisis. I loved Dino Crisis 2 when I was a kid and beat it numerous times, but I never put more than two to three hours into the original.

How you liking Breath of Fire 4? It's my favorite Breath of Fire so far

replaying walking dead: season 2 (which i'm not really remembering at all), & just finished chapter 4, where all hell breaks loose at the end because that russian kid says you stole the meds, & i gotta admit, having deliberately chosen earlier not to steal them, i was just kinda gobsmacked...

i mean, yeah the explanation i found was that he mentioned he was hiding them for his kid sister, & then, covering his tracks, opted to let you take the fall, but it still amounted to one of them patented telltale 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' style 'choices'...

sinnergy

Metroid Dread, pissed me off a bit , so I switched ;) to Metroid Prime remaster , and yep still my GOAT, amazing game for its age .

Last edited:
The Ezio Collection features a bump in resolution and improved textures. I forgot that it was also on Switch!
Found out that the Switch port only features one game on the cart and the other two are download codes - glad I figured this out before I bought it. Getting it on Ps4 instead. Probably will pick up Ezio Collection and Odyssey at the same time, but think I want to go through the older games first.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Found out that the Switch port only features one game on the cart and the other two are download codes - glad I figured this out before I bought it. Getting it on Ps4 instead. Probably will pick up Ezio Collection and Odyssey at the same time, but think I want to go through the older games first.
Good to know man!
The only ACs I have so far on my Switch is the "Rebel Collection" (Black Flag & Rogue).

I'm still chugging along in Odyssey and having fun in small doses.

Back in the day AC 2 was my favorite. You got me curious to play it again you bastard 😄

I wonder if it aged well.

Good to know man!
The only ACs I have so far on my Switch is the "Rebel Collection" (Black Flag & Rogue).

I'm still chugging along in Odyssey and having fun in small doses.

Back in the day AC 2 was my favorite. You got me curious to play it again you bastard 😄

I wonder if it aged well.
I don't see why it wouldn't honestly, I thought the first game aged very well (though I'm sure some might disagree with me) and from what I'm reading everyone seems to love the second game more. Yeah I'm sure some things will be a bit archaic but that never bothers me, I play a lot of old games ! I'll definitely post here once I get and play the sequel. I'm hoping it's a lot like the first game but bigger and better as opposed to the open world glory that was Origins. I love it but it's not much like the first game.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Right now I'm playing:

Dragon Quest VIII on 3DS

Assassin's Creed Origins on Xbox

I love how portable the 3DS really is and the battery life is spectacular. Moreover, the catalogue is so large that it's the perfect machine to travel with.

Right now I'm playing:

Dragon Quest VIII on 3DS

Assassin's Creed Origins on Xbox

I love how portable the 3DS really is and the battery life is spectacular. Moreover, the catalogue is so large that it's the perfect machine to travel with.

The 3DS version of DQ8 is amazing too, the QoL additions take it from a good but archaic PS2 RPG to one of the best ever, if you ask me. It's a shame it's stuck on 3DS (same with the DQ7 remake they did). Hopefully one day Square brings them out somewhere else.

Top Bottom