• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Fess

Since I didn't do it in a while... modded Fallout 4 and Skyrim from zero to OMG it did not break, and even played them a little :D
I’m going through Skyrim Special Edition Anniversary with mods right now. Did some expansion quest on Solstheim today, the Morrowind island, and was transported through a book to a completely unique magical place. Kinda blew me away tbh. It’s still holding up so so well 👌

LostDonkey

Not Baldurs Gate because I feel like a fucking leper having absolutely no interest in it while everyone else is gaping and gushing over it.

Think am Brokers

(Apex Legends)

Mr Hyde

Soon finished with Dead Space. Chapter 11. It's been a fun ride. Space horror at its absolute best, with amazing graphics and sound design. Motive knocked it out of the park with this one. Can't believe I've gotten fantastic remakes of three of my favorite games of all time. Dead Space, Demon's Souls and Resident Evil 4. All in the same gen. Crazy.

I also booted up Parasite Eve. One of my favorite games from the PSX era. It got a great story, told through a very nice presentation, with a wintery NY setting and a solid cast of characters, led by kick ass heroine Aya Brea. The combat system is fun and engaging, and running around shooting monsters and utilizing your PE energy, never gets old. It also got an amazing soundtrack, composed by Yoko Shimomura. It's very memorable and one of the best parts of the game. It's a shame SE aren't doing anything with this IP. It got so much potential, but they squandered it with the lackluster sequel and Third birthday and now the franchise been dormant since decades. I hope they got something up their sleeve but I ain't holding my breath. I just have to stick with the original, despite its age.

Naked Lunch

Batsugun [Xbox Series X]
Simply cannot believe this released in 2023, and on Xbox no less. Its a port of the Saturn version (which wasnt perfect to begin with) but has some nice features over it. They added the full TATE view and rotated it for horizontal screens - and it has slow mode to learn some of the nastier patterns.
Sad to see there is some input lag - but with enough playtime - you can kinda compensate for it.

Donkey Kong '94 [Gameboy]
This is without a doubt Nintendo's best 1st party game of all time. 100% Perfection.

[Sigma]

Got one more trophy left in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shredder's Revenge. Decent games. 2nd best 2d beat em up I played this year. I deleted Horizon Forbidden West. No point in keeping it on my drive any longer if I have no plans to play it. I may download and play God of War Ragnarok.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Jumping between multiple games, but none of them is truly sticking to me right now:
  • Far Cry 6. The game does a lot of things right - except the gameplay loop. I stop enjoying it after a 30-60 minute session.
  • Rocket League. This one is a constant. It's always fun.
  • Dredge. Resumed playing Dredge a couple of days ago. 30-60 minute sessions. Making some progress gradually.
  • The Messenger. Started it today to prepare for Sea of Stars. It's more difficult than I thought it'd be.
  • Psychonauts 2. I had high expectations from this game, considering the high praise it gets and the 89 Metacritic scores, but it's not as fun as I thought it'd be. I'm ~4 hours in and have already lost my will to play it further. Might resume it again after a couple of days, but a big disappointment nevertheless.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I recently finished Rhapsody A Musical Adventure (Switch) It was a fun, charming JRPG that was a bit on the easy side. Also it has Musical Pieces that are fully English Voice Acted

I just got through Chapter 1 for Spirit Hunter NG. (Switch) The first game was great and extremely creepy at times. This game is looking to carry on that tradition in that sense.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

Replaying R&C: Rift Apart on the steam deck. Such an incredible game and am thrilled to have a proper Ratchet on the go. Also started AC: Syndicate on ps5 since I heard it has some of the best stealth.

Shifty1897

After 105 hours, I completed Tears of the Kingdom. Definitely one of my favorite games of all time. What a joy, what a sense of exploration and wonder.
After that, I finally tried out the Sea of Stars demo. I played maybe twenty minutes and knew that was gonna be a day one purchase, so I went ahead and deleted the demo.

So now I'm looking for something short to play between now and the end of August, and I settled on Metroid Prime Remastered. I had the original but never finished it, looking to redeem myself in 2023.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I wont be playing anything until Armoured Core VI comes out, it almost here I dont think I'm able to finish anything before the game drops in.

Last edited:

Belthazar

I'm going through Hogwarts Legacy and Chained Echoes at the moment, with a few sessions of Tony Hawk's 1+2 whenever I get tired of both.

Finally done with Mother 1 (also called EarthBound 0 / Earthbound Beginnings). I used the GBA version (Mother 1 + 2) with the translation patch via Retroarch. It's an 8bit JRPG through and through, brutally unfair sometimes and with no hand holding at all. But it was manageable, i didn't use any save states, for example. Overall, now that i'm done with it, was it worth playing? Absolutely.

Besides having a frame of reference to appreciate all the obvious enhancements and improvements that are gonna be in Earthbound (and subsequently Mother 3) and experiencing first hand what the developers managed to do with such old ass piece of hardware, the game was memorable. The plot is pretty simple, though does have have a heart warming twist that stuck and a detailed, perfect ending. It's incredibly charming to the core, and a worthwhile experience.

QvnWyxF.png

Now on to EarthBound.

oji-san

Banned
Finished Man of Medan the other day and really liked it. Supermassive has some decent weiters right there.

Now I bought Little Hope and will play that.
Played some of those interactive dramas a few months ago as they are a part of PS Plus offering and i liked Little Hope the most, it's also looks fantastic on PS5 and 60fps, enjoy it! :)

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
  • FFXIII: on chapter 5 now.
  • Planet of Lana: Gotta be near the end. A few of these late game puzzles are pretty frustrating, but I will probably finish the game tonight.
  • Battletoads: Honestly kinda shocked. Might be one of the best beat em ups ever made.
  • Exoprimal: Can't stop. Crack. Almost at 100 hours. Big update in 2 days.
  • Hentai Uni 2: I think I have 1 jigsaw puzzle left.

oji-san

Banned
Ghost Recon Breakpoint.
About 25 hours in and i'm not sure how i missed it, it's on PS Plus and i was looking hard on a new game as i'm tired of replaying games tbh.. so saw it while browsing the catalogue and gave it a try, first of all it looks good and runs at 60fps on PS5.
This is one of the most customisable games i've ever played, perhaps the most.. you can change the gameplay totally for your liking, i've gone with immersive mode- which means no loot, use the weapons you find or buy new ones.. no gear level etc, you can still upgrade your weapons. I made my experience kinda like Gears of War experience in a open-world.. disabled stamina all together, added hp regen and no injuries, 2 main weapons and one sidearm with all the gadgets. Feels good, the combat is really good, weapons are all very effective.
Sadly the characters, story and setting aren't so good.
One big con for me is no ambient music/songs at all in the game, it's such a damn shame this big world and you traverse with silence, why?
Having a lot of fun so far, i have leveled up my teammates to max, bought several weapons and helicopters and more, the combat is real nice and raiding camps to get new blueprints is nice. Thinking about getting the 2 DLCs as they are on sale but there's so much content already in base game and there's also free DLC after you finish the game so i probably will just play the base game.

Reactions: CZY

sedg87

My favorite of the whole series.
I still remember playing way back when in the dark and a fire truck passing by our house suddenly blasted its horn.

I nearly shit my pants & had a heart attack 😆

How plentiful is ammo in 2? I've just been smacking things with my bit of wood so far and am yet to use my handgun.

sedg87

Soon finished with Dead Space. Chapter 11. It's been a fun ride. Space horror at its absolute best, with amazing graphics and sound design. Motive knocked it out of the park with this one. Can't believe I've gotten fantastic remakes of three of my favorite games of all time. Dead Space, Demon's Souls and Resident Evil 4. All in the same gen. Crazy.

I also booted up Parasite Eve. One of my favorite games from the PSX era. It got a great story, told through a very nice presentation, with a wintery NY setting and a solid cast of characters, led by kick ass heroine Aya Brea. The combat system is fun and engaging, and running around shooting monsters and utilizing your PE energy, never gets old. It also got an amazing soundtrack, composed by Yoko Shimomura. It's very memorable and one of the best parts of the game. It's a shame SE aren't doing anything with this IP. It got so much potential, but they squandered it with the lackluster sequel and Third birthday and now the franchise been dormant since decades. I hope they got something up their sleeve but I ain't holding my breath. I just have to stick with the original, despite its age.

Hows does the first game compare to the sequel? I've loved PE2 since it was released but never played the first one weirdly enough. I still need to finish my current run through PE2.

Mr Hyde

Hows does the first game compare to the sequel? I've loved PE2 since it was released but never played the first one weirdly enough. I still need to finish my current run through PE2.

It was a long time ago I played PE2 but from what I remember, PE2 played more like a Resident Evil, and less like the original PE. Square opted for a more action oriented sequel, reminiscent of RE, rather than the first ones active time battle, rpg-like battle system. I think that was the most significant change other than switching location (I don't think PE2 takes place in NY). I also remember I didn't like the new story compared to the original, which was a lot more campy and not as focused on horror. But that is of course very subjective. If you love PE2 you should definitely check out the first one.

sedg87

It was a long time ago I played PE2 but from what I remember, PE2 played more like a Resident Evil, and less like the original PE. Square opted for a more action oriented sequel, reminiscent of RE, rather than the first ones active time battle, rpg-like battle system. I think that was the most significant change other than switching location (I don't think PE2 takes place in NY). I also remember I didn't like the new story compared to the original, which was a lot more campy and not as focused on horror. But that is of course very subjective. If you love PE2 you should definitely check out the first one.

I actually quite like the sound of that. I'll be definitely playing it in the next few weeks. Thanks!

Silent Hill 2

Met Eddie and Angela in the apartments (The characters in this are fantastic). Ran into Pyramid Head and managed to escape outside. Found the little girl from earlier in the game - the one who stood on my hand and made me take the long way around to grab a key. I've just met Maria and she's decided to tag along to find Maria. On my way to some hotel now.

So EarthBound. The game itself is a significant improvement over the prequel, there are systems in place that make it far more fun to play, everything is more detailed, the vision of the developer is much more realized here than in Mother 1.

Problem is that everything is slooow. There's no run button like in the GBA version of Mother 1. Also, there's a lot of lag and weird stutters when there's a lot of stuff on screen. At first, i thought that Retroarch is giving me shit, so i tested other cores out. Tested some stand alone emulators. Same issue. Tested games i knew worked fine - no issues. So after some research, found out that it behaves that way on original hardware as well - a lot of lag and stutters when there's a lot of stuff on screen. Well that sucks ass because it exacerbates the fact that there's no run button making the game feel slow.

yansolo

Divinity OS since i had it in my backlog for a while, great game although its a bit goofy/light hearted for my taste sometimes, 70 hours played so far

Diablo 2R co-op with a mate

Dark Soul 2 but ive put it on hold, great game but it definitely is the worst of the trilogy (finished 1 and 3)

Halls of Torment, quality indie game for quick time killer sessions, i like it better than vampire survivors (also a great game) and cant wait to see where they go with it after early access

So EarthBound. The game itself is a significant improvement over the prequel, there are systems in place that make it far more fun to play, everything is more detailed, the vision of the developer is much more realized here than in Mother 1.

Problem is that everything is slooow. There's no run button like in the GBA version of Mother 1. Also, there's a lot of lag and weird stutters when there's a lot of stuff on screen. At first, i thought that Retroarch is giving me shit, so i tested other cores out. Tested some stand alone emulators. Same issue. Tested games i knew worked fine - no issues. So after some research, found out that it behaves that way on original hardware as well - a lot of lag and stutters when there's a lot of stuff on screen. Well that sucks ass because it exacerbates the fact that there's no run button making the game feel slow.
Retroarch has a fast forward option, that can be customized to your own liking. Why not use it? Does the game have some timing/reaction based parts outside of the turn based battles? Or is it because of music and sound effects?

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Just finished the platinum on Final Fantasy 16 (one of the greatest games of all time)

Started Burning Shores last night so I'll be spending some time in that before getting to the Forspoken DLC and then it's HORROR gaming time which I have a massive backlog for

Skeptical

Just finished up Inticreates' Gal Guardians: Demon Purge. While I knew this was using Gal Gun characters, I was hoping that it would be just a reference as opposed to leaning into that game's unique, uh, ambience. So much for that, unfortunately. Still, ignoring the weird perviness, it may be one of my favorites from Inticreates. It's not too hard on normal mode, but levels are still long and bosses still hit hard. It's just that the game gives you so many options to murder everyone that you don't mind the long levels and hard bosses. While easy games usually just make everything weaker and simpler, here it is about making you more powerful and thus giving you the tools to overcome them. It made it fun. Also, nowhere near as many frustrating platforming areas with Medusa Head expies. I hate those things.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Darkest Dungeon. I got it for free on the Epic Store, and that's where I started playing. I found it very enjoyable, so I also got it on the Switch, and I continue playing there. The interface on the Switch is a bit harder to use, and while I can read the text, it gets a bit tiring after a while. However, playing this game on the couch or during vacation has become much more enjoyable. The atmosphere, sound effects, and the art style are really good. Gameplay is superb and addictive. I'm interested in the second game as well, but it seems a bit different. Developing the characters in Hamlet(main hub), -which is not present on second game?-, is an important and enjoyable part of the game.

I got into this game because I thought Baldur's Gate 3 was too complex and I wasn't ready for it, but this one is also quite deep and challenging. So far, it's going really well, and I would recommend it to turn based combat fans.

hollams

Gold Member
Trying to finish Baldur's Gate 3 before Starfield but I downloaded Dave the Diver and put in 8 hours over the past two days. It's awesome and a nice diversion from BG3. Pun intended.

Yerd

I've been running through Dead Space remake. I have mixed feelings. I love the game looks, of course. It's been a long time since I played the original. I think I actually started to play it again right around the time they announced the remake. I noticed how the lighting doesn't hold up to current games and stopped to wait for the remaster.

There are certain things I remember like the room that is just full of grating uncomfortable sound. They recreated it, but I don't think they have the same thing happening. There's also some little things that annoy me. Almost every sound in the game is made to be startling or grating. Sprinklers come on when you enter the hydroponics, for some reason the sprinklers sound like metal being dragged on metal. Every time you get a video call, that sound is unnecessarily loud and intended to startle you. I don't remember if it's the same in the original. The first time, it might startle you, then it becomes annoying and on subsequent calls you wonder, what idiot designed a system with this as the default sound? I will play the original again, just to compare. I think they took the original concept of things like the loud room and just applied that to everything, and it just doesn't work for me.

I don't like the change in the villain either. The voice actor on the original has something that just isn't present in this new guy. He's very bland.

I heard bad things about Callisto, that had me holding off for a deep discount. Makes me curious about it now.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I heard bad things about Callisto, that had me holding off for a deep discount. Makes me curious about it now.
Yes get it at a discount. It looks gorgeous but that combat system is just awful. Once I finished it I was done & have no intention of getting the DLC.

Yes get it at a discount. It looks gorgeous but that combat system is just awful. Once I finished it I was done & have no intention of getting the DLC.
Agree here. I thought the game was quite bland in the first half but luckily it picks up a bit later on. I does never reach the heights of Dead Space though.

Last edited:
resident evil village on pc.

kinda has a carnival vibe... bit cheesy and silly. also pretty linear, easy, and lots of scripted events. getting more fun as time goes on.
HDR looks great on OLED though. 4k/120fps is pretty easy too.

Fbh

FFXVI.

While I agree with most of the criticism (filler, terrible sidequests, unrewarding exploration, scaled back RPG mechanics, linear dungeons, complete lack of challenge,etc) I'm still enjoying it. The main story is pretty solid, the characters and writing are great so far and the combat is fun despite the lack of challenge. It's not the proper return to form I was hoping for, but at least I'm enjoying it more than XIII and XV so far.

Top Bottom