• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Muffdraul

A few weeks ago I finished re-playing the PS4 remaster Assassin's Creed 2, a game I played a thousand times on PS3 but haven't played since the Ezio Trilogy remastered released... six years ago? When I finished it, I leapfrogged over Brohood and Revelations intending to replay AC3, one of my least favorites... couldn't do it. Thought about Black Flag, but I like that one even less than 3, so nope. Unity? I think that one is very underrated, but nah.

I ended up settling on AC Origins, which I just replayed about a year ago when I finally got my XSX, so I kinda felt like "wtf am I doing?!" I heard it was finally upgraded for PS5 so I wanted to check it out. Easily my favorite of the "new RPG style" ACs and I rank it very high in the overall franchise in general. After this, I'll be ready for Mirage.

Last edited:
I am about done with Horizon Chase Turbo. If you like arcade racers at all pick it up when it's on sale for 4 bucks.

I completed all the base content and platinumed the game and bought the Senna Forever DLC. But I'm itching for something else. Maybe play this stack of switch games I've spent a load on. New Super Mario U?

K2D

Banned
Super Mario Galaxy 2 on Wii. I don't know why.. LTTP.

Was playing Fallout Et Tu (1 with mods) until my laptop kicked the bucket.

Before that TotK. I've stopped shy of running for the endgame.

Killer8

Lot on my plate at the moment.

Amnesia: The Bunker - about an hour in and i'm shitting. First Amnesia game i've played, I really like the setting as it reminds me of exploring abandoned old bunkers when I was a kid. Still to even see the monster but the sound design is incredibly good.

Baldur's Gate 3 - completely deserving of its high praises and a GOTY in the making for me. Just an amazing sense of adventure, ultra high production values that won't be topped for a very long time, witty writing and an actual sense of player agency that you don't see often.

Final Fantasy XVI - I have only just gained the second eikon power but it's been transformative. I was getting concerned with the combat system - "is this it?" I began to think as I used the same couple of abilities over and over, but suddenly I have a host of new abilities AND I can hot swap between them and chain them into my old ones. A lot of seething has been done over the transition to real-time action combat but as it opens up it's incredibly well done.

Quake Remastered - had this in my library for a long time and the new Quake II remaster prompted me to finally check it out for the first time. I've so far finished the campaign and i'm now onto the expansion which Machine Games made for the remaster. Insanely fun stuff and some very creative level design on display.

Tetris Effect Connected - unwinding with this in PSVR2 at night, it's as much a work of art as it is a Tetris game. In fact the Tetris gameplay almost feels secondary to the amazing audiovisual experience. It's just stunning. When i'm feeling competitive, the online multiplayer is pretty addictive too (playing that in flatscreen mode).

Yakuza (PS2) - I wrapped up Yakuza: Like a Dragon earlier this year and it was one of the best games i've ever played. Took just over 100 hours and i'm excited for the sequel. However, given that things are going to start getting Kiryu heavy again, I wanted to catch up on the series as i've only played bits of it here and there. So i'm starting from the start - the PS2 original. I'm using the recently released Yakuza: Restored mod which functions as a Japanese undub. Some people might say just play Kiwami, but comparisons i've seen showed that it loses some of the character of the PS2 original. The plan is to do 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 6, Ishin remake (I started this earlier in the year but abandoned after a couple of hours to do this series run), and then play Yakuza: Infinite Wealth. There is no way I will be able to do all of this in even a year, but I can wait to play Infinite Wealth if I need to. It's not like "you gotta buy Yakuza otherwise Sega won't bring more to the west!" is a thing any more.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 on Wii. I don't know why.. LTTP.

Was playing Fallout Et Tu (1 with mods) until my laptop kicked the bucket.

Before that TotK. I've stopped shy of running for the endgame.

Funny, I have SMG2 in my backlog. Was considering starting it up at some point soon, but now there's all of these PS+ games expiring that I need to get to!

Reactions: K2D
Retroarch has a fast forward option, that can be customized to your own liking. Why not use it? Does the game have some timing/reaction based parts outside of the turn based battles? Or is it because of music and sound effects?

I don't know, i wanted to play it as vanilla as possible, i don't use any save states or any other modern advantage to manipulate the game in my favour.

So i've been playing a lot of Earthbound.. And i'm really not vibing with its brutal-as-fuck difficulty combined with its slow-as-molasses gameplay. Progression is steady - i go into a new area, get almost demolished, buy upgrades, fair a bit better. Problem are the status ailments, and boy i don't know why the Hell are there so many of them, and some can't even be countered with any item and they just screw things over.

Even if i get some of the stuff to counter it, the user interface is a cumbersome pain in the ass. Inventory management in particular, my God. Example: So i slooowly dredge back to an area to slooowly buy that crap one at a time, use it in battle, and immediately the enemies throw the status ailment again, i waste all that stuff that i bought to counter it. And the misses. Oh man, they're fun as fuck. Damn, the party misses an attack like 45% of the time. What the hell .. Enemies miss like 5% of the time.

Like, my last battle just summarized it. So i easily fuck with the Belch, go out of that Saturn village, and then BOOM, random encounter and "mushroomized". After i initiate my commands to the party members, Paula's feeling a little "funky"? What? Well, she obliterates my party with the attack i initiated and then i die. Oh yeah, Ness misses a couple of attacks as well as a bonus. I was laughing hard at this.

So overall its brutal-as-fuck difficulty, slow-as-molasses gameplay, annoyingly cumbersome UI are a problem. I'm gonna push through tho. I enjoyed Mother 1 a hell of a lot more than this tho.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Funny, I have SMG2 in my backlog. Was considering starting it up at some point soon, but now there's all of these PS+ games expiring that I need to get to!
No rush I'd say.. I'm not enjoying myself as much as I'd imagined I would, but maybe that's just me..

Mario platforming games have always been more or less frustration inducing.. I want to believe it was less in the 2d era, but that might just be wishful thinking.

The controller really annoy me sometimes,mostly how they are implemented in the system. Like you have to use the pointer in system menu to select and start your game, or to effectively use Yoshi.

Like they begrudgingly take away your choice to use analog sticks. Not that the analog is that comfortable, but atleast it's not annoyingly obscured but my and my families clutter (IR sensor bar trajectory).

Sorry and thanks for suffering my rant..! 👍

Last edited:

sedg87

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Taking a little break from horror games. Think this has to be one of my favourite KH games. Playing with Terra first.

Killjoy-NL

FfXIV Endwalker.

Finishing up the story, but my god, who decided to put those trail-quests in?

Waiting for Wayfinder as well, but unfortunately they delayed Early Access, with no clear date for PS5...

Jedi survivor on series X , 7 8 hours in I don't know if I like the game or not , what I do know is performance on 60 FPS mode is atrocious and really hampers the experience and the graphics suck ass, gameplay is solid though

WoJ

I'm slogging through the Witcher 2. I can't decide if I like this game or not. There are things I really enjoy about it. The lore and characters are solid. The overarching plot is interesting enough, but maybe a little too Game of Thrones-y. The gameplay is....janky, but gets the job done.

There is something about the game that keeps me from putting it above the "it's okay" level.

amigastar

I'm slogging through the Witcher 2. I can't decide if I like this game or not. There are things I really enjoy about it. The lore and characters are solid. The overarching plot is interesting enough, but maybe a little too Game of Thrones-y. The gameplay is....janky, but gets the job done.

There is something about the game that keeps me from putting it above the "it's okay" level.
Yeah, it's strange, i've played Witcher 2 quite a bit but never got very far into Witcher 3. I mean it's a good game very good actually, maybe i should try it again when i finish BG3 and Starfield.

Yerd

Yeah, it's strange, i've played Witcher 2 quite a bit but never got very far into Witcher 3. I mean it's a good game very good actually, maybe i should try it again when i finish BG3 and Starfield.
I never finished the last DLC, the vampire one. But, the main game itself has some really exceptional quests. Bloody Baron, for me was my favorite, and I learned later that there are different outcomes to it, depending on what you have done.

It's always in the back of my mind I need to go finish that DLC.

sedg87

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
I cleared Radiant Garden and have a choice between a couple of new worlds; I think I may go over and do Deep Space or Disney World. I've also been doing a few of the Mirage Arena stages for the victory pose spell.

Marvel Midnight Sun's
Played for five hours and I'm really enjoying it. A nice turn of pace from the usual horror and JRPGs games that I play. Using a team of Hunter, Blade, and Ghostrider when I can.

amigastar

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
I cleared Radiant Garden and have a choice between a couple of new worlds; I think I may go over and do Deep Space or Disney World. I've also been doing a few of the Mirage Arena stages for the victory pose spell.

Marvel Midnight Sun's
Played for five hours and I'm really enjoying it. A nice turn of pace from the usual horror and JRPGs games that I play. Using a team of Hunter, Blade, and Ghostrider when I can.
Yes, Marvel Midnight Sun's is really underrated. I liked it also. Too bad Jake Solomon was fired from Firaxis after this game.

bender

What time is it?
Booted up Astral Chain again which I do every six months or so. Started up a new save file again, cleared the tutorial again, got to the main hub again, and just lost any desire to play it. I'm not sure what it is but this game cannot capture my interest one bit.

Beyond my daily "gaming chores", I'm in a bit of funk after Pikmin 4. Maybe I'll give Lisa a shot on my Deck.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Finished Spirit Hunter NG. Really enjoyed it. Had some good twists like the first game. Was able to get the best ending

Now been playing Chained Echoes on Switch. I'm 10 to 11 hours in and gotten to ACT II. So far I like the battle system but the story and characters haven't impressed me.

I've been in a sort of gaming rut lately after FFXVI. I've been playing some MW2 and BF2042 online but nothing single player was really calling out to me.

I love Red Dead Redemption and I hadn't played it since it came out on PS3 so I figured what the hell I'll buy it on Switch. At this point in time I should know better because every game I play on the Switch I go oh hey this will make me play my switch and then I hate it like usual so I should know better by now. I don't feel like paying $100 to play it on PS5 so I landed on...

GTAIV. IV is one of my favorite games of all time, and I miss living in NYC a ton so I'm currently playing through IV while starting Law & Order SVU over from the beginning.

FeastYoEyes

Just finished System Shock and although the ending was abrupt, was incredibly impressed. Ive played just about all modern immersive sims and am quite sad there's none on the horizon. Any lesser known immersive sims anyone knows about?

Until I find one, I'll be booting up Trepang2.

Still playing Suikoden on PS1. The game just keeps going. I thought I was close to the end, but maybe not. I should count the number of characters I have recruited.

I decided to give Sekiro another try. I played it at release and got stuck on Genchiro(?). This time, everything clicked, and now I am breezing through the game. It’s difficult to overcome the urge to dodge everything as you would in Dark Souls. Here, you parry everything. Big guy with a giant sword? Parry. Giant Ape spinning fist? Parry.

A few weeks ago I finished re-playing the PS4 remaster Assassin's Creed 2, a game I played a thousand times on PS3 but haven't played since the Ezio Trilogy remastered released... six years ago? When I finished it, I leapfrogged over Brohood and Revelations intending to replay AC3, one of my least favorites... couldn't do it. Thought about Black Flag, but I like that one even less than 3, so nope. Unity? I think that one is very underrated, but nah.

I ended up settling on AC Origins, which I just replayed about a year ago when I finally got my XSX, so I kinda felt like "wtf am I doing?!" I heard it was finally upgraded for PS5 so I wanted to check it out. Easily my favorite of the "new RPG style" ACs and I rank it very high in the overall franchise in general. After this, I'll be ready for Mirage.

Man ...it sucks SO much that Ubisoft never bothered to patch AC2/brotherhood/revelations/ac3/syndicate/unity/black flag for 60 fps on ps5.
All those games released last gen and are still being sold now plus they're all on Ubi's subscription service. Is it really too much to ask for these compamies to update their games?

Batsugun [Xbox Series X]
Simply cannot believe this released in 2023, and on Xbox no less. Its a port of the Saturn version (which wasnt perfect to begin with) but has some nice features over it. They added the full TATE view and rotated it for horizontal screens - and it has slow mode to learn some of the nastier patterns.
Sad to see there is some input lag - but with enough playtime - you can kinda compensate for it.

Donkey Kong '94 [Gameboy]
This is without a doubt Nintendo's best 1st party game of all time. 100% Perfection.

Are u familiar with M2 Shot Triggers? They make the absolute best shmup collections with the best input lag and they're in the process now of slowly releasing Toaplans entire catalogue! They did Twin Cobra, Flying Shark, Fire Shark, Hellfire and Zero Wing so far but they can only be bought from Japan e store. They also did Battle Garegga and Ketsui which can be bought on US store on ps5.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nothing. All my energy is on starfield release
Same but most my energy is towards Armored Core VI release.
gundam-double-x-gundam.gif

Top Bottom