• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Dazraell

I just finished Arkham Knight. Completed everything beside Riddler's collectables, they were a bit too much. Overall, I enjoyed it much more than on when I played its infamous PC port back on 2015. Game runs super smooth on PS4 and no performance issues definitely made it much better experience. Revisiting it with additional side stories from Most Wanted dlc made it feel more complete experience. I'm currently playing through Episodes dlcs

I'm also halfway through Crisis Core on PC and started playing Quake II remaster on Switch

Finished The Forgotten City yesterday.

After some reviews made the game‘s story seem like the best thing ever since warm bread I was a bit disappointed. Sure, the writing was good but it didn’t really blow me away. Ending kinda reminded me of AC. Used a guide all the way through. No regrets. Otherwise it would have been too much trial and error to get the canon ending.

Naked Lunch

Are u familiar with M2 Shot Triggers? They make the absolute best shmup collections with the best input lag and they're in the process now of slowly releasing Toaplans entire catalogue! They did Twin Cobra, Flying Shark, Fire Shark, Hellfire and Zero Wing so far but they can only be bought from Japan e store. They also did Battle Garegga and Ketsui which can be bought on US store on ps5.
Yep, thanks.
I have the Battle Garegga one - its as high quality as it gets, but rumor is the Batsugun port might take them years to get to. They seem to work VERY slowly.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Fired up the XSX for the first time in many many months, to play co-op Vampire Survivors with my wife. Such a great pick up and play game.

reektann

I have been playing Atomic Heart on PC Gamepass, about 8 hours in. Playing on a large ultrawide with mouse and keyboard. I am having a really really good time! I've not played a twitchy type FPS for so long and the game is just unbelievably weird but it looks really high end with a unique look and vibe - like I've downloaded a Half Life 2 mod from a russian bbs that nobody speaks of.

It's super campy feeling, like some of the old action films you would rent out as a kid with sketchy dialogue, but it ends up becoming a bit of an under the counter classic.

The upgrade/crafting screen music is fantastic. I sit on that screen for way too long nodding along.

I really really appreciate how they up front tell you to have fun with the builds - if you buy something you can just refund it and get all the materials back. Normally I play it super safe and have to think about my upgrades in games, but this one I am trying all sorts, as I know it won't cost me anything to undo it if I find it a bit of shitty upgrade.

Oh and what the hell at the cartoon playing on the TV's in the save rooms. I feel like it's brainwashing me with some subliminal propaganda. Insane.

Last edited:

Yerd

I had a free pc game pass 3 month trial from some other thing I paid for.

There are quite a few games on there that I have wanted to try. I'll tell you which ones I downloaded and I have only played one of them so far.

Ninja Turtles Shredders Revenge
High On Life
Vampire Survivors
Everspace 2
Prey

Can you guess which one I tried first?

Last edited:

sedg87

Silent Hill 2
Been exploring the hospital with Maria. Benched my wooden stick and started using the handgun because I've started to encounter enemies in groups.

Midnight Suns
I've mostly been wandering around, talking to the characters, and doing side missions. The last character I recruited was Spiderman.

KH: Birth by Sleep
Just been leveling a little and melding some commands. Want to get a megaflare crafted.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Just played through Spider-Man miles morales and was blown away. Decided to pay $10 to upgrade ps4 Spider-Man to ps5, and am having a blast all over again .

Really hyped for number 2 now.

Also new PoE league, and some D2R hardcore on hell… game becomes a survival horror game lol.

amigastar

I had a free pc game pass 3 month trial from some other thing I paid for.

There are quite a few games on there that I have wanted to try. I'll tell you which ones I downloaded and I have only played one of them so far.

Ninja Turtles Shredders Revenge
High On Life
Vampire Survivors
Everspace 2
Prey

Can you guess which one I tried first?
Hmm, Barbies Horse Adventures?

cortadew

Silent Hill 2
Been exploring the hospital with Maria. Benched my wooden stick and started using the handgun because I've started to encounter enemies in groups.

Midnight Suns
I've mostly been wandering around, talking to the characters, and doing side missions. The last character I recruited was Spiderman.

KH: Birth by Sleep
Just been leveling a little and melding some commands. Want to get a megaflare crafted.
Are you playing the Enhanced Edition of Silent Hill 2 or emulated in pcsx2 or.... real hardware ps2, ps3, etc? If you are playing on pc I highly recommend the EE, it is possibly the best version of the game.

sedg87

Are you playing the Enhanced Edition of Silent Hill 2 or emulated in pcsx2 or.... real hardware ps2, ps3, etc? If you are playing on pc I highly recommend the EE, it is possibly the best version of the game.

Playing it via emulation on pcsx2. I looked into the EE beforehand but went with emulation since I already own the game for PS2.

WoJ

I finished The Witcher 2 today. Man am I conflicted on this game. I didn't spend a ton of time on the lore because I felt the pacing was a bit of a slow at times. It also took me a while to really grasp what much of the plot was about because of all the different nations and scheming etc. But I felt like the reveal at the end was good. Gameplay wise it was very "meh". I hope 3 is better. But I also didn't take a ton of time to dive into the systems either. Some of the side quests were really good too.

It's a game I kind of mainlined to "be done with it", but I think I may actually enjoy it more on subsequent playtrhoughts taking more time with it, learning the crafting and alchemy systems better and better understanding the plot.

Last edited:

amigastar

Just started Red Dead Redemption 2 again. Never really finished it when it came out, but so far the experience is really, really fun.
Game looks so good even if it would have come out today, it would still be spectacular graphics wise.

Last edited:
Fired up the XSX for the first time in many many months, to play co-op Vampire Survivors with my wife. Such a great pick up and play game.

I was thinking of picking this up on Switch for couch co-op. Is there any way to transfer a save from the mobile version? I have like 3 plane rides worth of runs and I don’t wanna start over.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I'm about 30 minutes in Atlas Fallen and still in the tutorial.

It looks and plays like an unoptimized Xbox 360 game.

That old hag tracker keeps calling me "child" & it pisses me off.
Next thing you know she'll be saying "game over".

I know this isn't a AAA game but Studios should pump budget in the beginning of their games to entice players to move on.

Most players never finish their games but come on man help yourselves a bit to convince me 😆

Corian33

Absolutely loving Baldur’s Gate 3. There’s so many good games on my list to play but really nothing can touch it. I’m still in Act 1 and continually pleasantly surprised by the game every step of the way.

It’s just mind blowing how you can use the mechanics to interact with the world in so many ways. It’s like almost any time you ask “I wonder if could do this…” the answer is yes, the game will absolutely let you do that.

A game that lavishly rewards creativity like this is a rare treat. BotW and TotK allow for creativity as well, but here there’s also an epic story filled with fun characters and endless unique quests to go along with the great mechanics.

CZY

MLB The Show 23 — Roughly 65 games into season two of franchise mode. Game is amazing. 9/10

Madden 24 — quite a few game-breaking bugs atm, waiting for a decent roster update and a patch or two before really diving in. Gameplay is money though. 6.5/10 for now.

RDR2 (8/10)
Sekiro (9/10)
Persona 5 Royal (10/10)
Bloodborne (10/10)
Darkest Dungeon (8.5/10)
MGSV (7.5/10)

.. are my “burner” games, the ones I fire up here and there on a whim.

bender

What time is it?
Played through No One Lives Under The Lighthouse in one sitting tonight on my Deck. That original PlayStation visual style and horror games go together like peanut butter and chocolate. The game just has this wonderful atmosphere, especially when it is raining. I have a few niggles (one of the sound effects is terrible) but this is an easy recommend if you like Lovecraft, especially at its' price.

Edellus

I played Doom Eternal and I loved it. But boy, can it be stressful. The game violently forces you to use everything you have all the time, quite literally. And you can't stop moving or you risk dying. I played it on normal (Hurt me plenty) and I want to give it another go in Nightmare difficulty, but I need a break from the almost constant feeling on the edge of chaos.

To do that I needed a chill game, that demanded nothing from me. After researching a bit what people considered good chill games, I discarded those that I've already played (Flower, Journey, Abzu, etc) and others that that don't call my attention visually (like Stardew Valley).

In between these recommended games was one that is 7 years old, which I happen to already own, but at the time I played it (like 2 years ago) it didn't click with me even after giving it a shot for 15 hours. But people were being very adamant that it is a great game for just chilling, and it is still receiving updates. I thought I could give it another go. Perhaps I didn't enjoy it before because I wasn't in a chill mood, and maybe the updates made it better. There's also this other very popular game that is about to release with a few similarities, so it it had me curious... Anyways, it's No Man's Sky.

Man, have I changed my mind about this game. Before I thought it was a boring and aimless and now it's relaxing and boundless. There's so much stuff to do, to craft, to log, to destroy, to ride, to build, to decorate, to upgrade, to see, to mine, languages to learn, etc. The stories are simple ye thought provoking. The alien races have unique traits of their personalities. There so much variety to everything.

The visuals are also beautiful. Despite most places, fauna and flora being procedurally generated, there's a charm to them. The game is not afraid of colour and weird shapes. You can find a pattern in everything, but you can also find uniqueness in everything.

I'm liking this game so much that time flies by when playing it. I have 15 hours played (I started over) in just 3 days. I don't know if I'm just in a honeymoon phase with this game, but I hope not, because I'm looking forward to keep having this much chill fun for quite a while.

foamdino

I'm away from home with only my work mac laptop, so I have been attacking my steam backlog.

Finished The Banner Saga 3 and Pillars of Eternity (bought this 5+ years ago).

My boy has grabbed the GeForce now account for path of exile, so I am waiting until I get home to continue with BG3.

Next up is Deep Sky Derelicts, another game bought on steam sale which I never finished.

iu
The Wonderful 101: Remastered.

So much fun again. Play it if you liked the overthetopness of Bayonetta and want to experience something even more awesome. Don't play it if you don't want to bother climbing a steep learning curve.

Last edited:
Dark and Darker is all I've been playing since the early access was released a few weeks ago. In my nearly 40 years I've played many games in different genres on consoles and PC, and I can't think of anything that can compare with the excitement I'm having in Dark and Darker.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Going to try and wrap up Bramble tonight. I really enjoyed it and recommend it. It's low budget and has some issues with camera placement a few times on the jumps, but it always restarts you literally right there so it's minimal discomfort.

What it does really well is alternate between scenes of beauty and scenes of extreme horror in a cool way that keeps the momentum going for me.

I do wish there was an option to disable to gnomes crying. Shit is grating lol.

Mr Hyde

Finished Parasite Eve. The last boss stretch with Eve and then Ultimate Being was pretty fucking rough. I barely made it through. I can't even comprehend how I finished this game as a young teenager when it released, because the difficulty at the end is brutal if you don't have the right setup, level, skill and patience to deal with the onslaught. Not only can you lock yourself out of grinding, if you get defeated there a bunch of cut scenes and unskippable dialogue before each boss encounter, which makes everything even more tedious.

Parasite Eve is starting to show its age. I didn't enjoy it as much as I used to, and several sections of the game is just annoying and confusing, with an abundance of random encounters, cheap enemies, cumbersome item management and some hellish boss fights with multiple phases. But the story holds it together along with the characters and the snowy Christmas setting of NY. It's the games biggest strength. But the gameplay and level design is severely outdated.

I played through Parasite Eve for the first time this year. I really enjoyed it. I made it to the final boss, but just couldn’t win. I decided to start over from the beginning and try different weapons.

In my first attempt, I had found a strong shotgun and had upgraded it with fire and such. All other weapons seemed weak in comparison and you have to commit to your upgrades, as a weapon is destroyed when you use it to improve a different weapon. So, I shotgunned my way through the game. It worked until that final boss.

When I restarted, I went for a more balanced approach. I upgraded a long range rifle, and a pistol. By the end, my pistol would reload quickly and I could fire three times per action. It made all the difference. The game really rewards mobility, and the pistol was fast enough to shoot and still dodge attacks.

I enjoyed the game so much, that I immediately started again. I only played one additional session, but I still want to play it again someday.

Last edited:

stn

Over the weekend I played Bayonetta 3 (Switch), it was good. I think I prefer 1 and 2 but it still a good action game. I also played some FF 16 (PS5), and it continues to be amazing. The RPG elements are very bare but I am still enjoying the combat and story.

Yerd

I played Doom Eternal and I loved it. But boy, can it be stressful. The game violently forces you to use everything you have all the time, quite literally. And you can't stop moving or you risk dying. I played it on normal (Hurt me plenty) and I want to give it another go in Nightmare difficulty, but I need a break from the almost constant feeling on the edge of chaos.

To do that I needed a chill game, that demanded nothing from me. After researching a bit what people considered good chill games, I discarded those that I've already played (Flower, Journey, Abzu, etc) and others that that don't call my attention visually (like Stardew Valley).

In between these recommended games was one that is 7 years old, which I happen to already own, but at the time I played it (like 2 years ago) it didn't click with me even after giving it a shot for 15 hours. But people were being very adamant that it is a great game for just chilling, and it is still receiving updates. I thought I could give it another go. Perhaps I didn't enjoy it before because I wasn't in a chill mood, and maybe the updates made it better. There's also this other very popular game that is about to release with a few similarities, so it it had me curious... Anyways, it's No Man's Sky.

Man, have I changed my mind about this game. Before I thought it was a boring and aimless and now it's relaxing and boundless. There's so much stuff to do, to craft, to log, to destroy, to ride, to build, to decorate, to upgrade, to see, to mine, languages to learn, etc. The stories are simple ye thought provoking. The alien races have unique traits of their personalities. There so much variety to everything.

The visuals are also beautiful. Despite most places, fauna and flora being procedurally generated, there's a charm to them. The game is not afraid of colour and weird shapes. You can find a pattern in everything, but you can also find uniqueness in everything.

I'm liking this game so much that time flies by when playing it. I have 15 hours played (I started over) in just 3 days. I don't know if I'm just in a honeymoon phase with this game, but I hope not, because I'm looking forward to keep having this much chill fun for quite a while.
I have a pretty similar experience with this game. I bought it in 2018. After they had several updates. I remember playing the first time and thinking it was very boring. You just mine and build? I tried again after a while and something must have clicked. I racked up over 700 hrs. I cheated death a couple times by having a save game for offline on a laptop. When I died on the permadeath mode I was able to get an old save from the laptop. Death isn't veary easy to achieve, it's not a very hard game. Even in permadeath. But there are a couple things that can easily kill you when overwhelmed. I haven't played in months, I think they have since added a little more difficulty to the sentinels.

They usually have an expedition after updates. It's a good way to get introduced to whatever features they add in the update. Also give you rewards you can't get unless you complete the expedition goals.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Getting close to finishing Miles Morales.

Need to get around to finishing Remnant 2 for my first character too.

Playing lots of Sniper Elite 5 as of late with a mix of co-op and invading people.

amigastar

I really love that Rockstar makes games rooted in Reality, no fantasy or Horror. It just a nice change to all the fantasy games i also play like Baldurs Gate 3. Love RDR 2.

kunonabi

Texas chainsaw massacre all weekend. It's pretty much going to be that rest of the year along with double dragon Gaiden and dragonball: the breakers. Hopefully I can armored core vi to that lineup but we'll see.

Terraria, got atleast 200 hours on expert - beat all the bosses except wall of flesh, after that it's hard mode. but that's currently on pause - been going balls deep in Kingdom Rush on Android. Tower defense games are the best.

[Sigma]

Me playing God of War Ragnarok earlier
john-wall-bench.jpg

I'm reminded of the things I didn't like about God of War 2018. Feels like im in for another Slog of War

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Finished Chained Echoes

Giving it a B- Grade

Took me around 33 to 35 hours to finish

It's a good game don't get me wrong but I felt the cast was a bit bland. Other than a twist that caught me by surprise it wasn't anything special to me.

By the end I just wanted to finish the game. Had No interest in sidequest or doing a 100 completion run

Next games I'm playing in this order

Sea of Stars (Switch)
Digimon Survive (Switch)
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth Collection (Switch)

Last edited:

ssringo

Gold Member

It's quite short, only taking maybe a couple hours to see and unlock everything (depending on your skill), but very fun. Would've liked to see a couple more stage layouts for variety's sake; maybe the devs will add some more post release if it gets decent sales (doesn't look that way atm).

Try the demo!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Playing NG+ TLoU2 until ACVI and Blasphemous II comes out. Just received a bigot sandwich. The game looks great to this day. Playing on PS5. Not sure how far I’ll get. Also messed around with Konami Arcade Classics. The one hit kills with shmups gets me every time. Life Force is great. I don’t get why TwinBee is praised so highly? It’s charming, but it’s a pea shooter of a ship.

Top Bottom