• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Mr Hyde

Finished Sunset Overdrive. Overall a good game. I was lukewarm in the beginning but the game grew on me with its excellent traversal and cool weapons you could use. Funny writing with the LARPers being the highlight of the game. They were hilarious. The game does have flaws though. It's a very noisy game, with loud punk music, which is not my cup of tea, and the characters never shut up. They talk and talk and talk, especially during gameplay, which means I miss half of it because I'm trying to concentrate on the game. The bosses and enemies are also bullet sponges, and the weapons take to fucking long to upgrade. It's like Insomniac forgot to balance it and just focused on designing cool weapons and gameplay.

Last edited:

sedg87

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Finished the game with Terra. Gonna start a new game with Ven next and finish with Aqua.

Kingdom Hearts: Memory of Melody
Not played my Switch in a while and have been enjoying BBS, so I fired this up. Been doing the tour mode and most replaying Simple and Clean.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

The Flintstones on SNES. This game is like going from ass to mouth. Already in the first level I was sick of it. Terrible controls, with floaty and unresponsive jumping. Confusing level design. Piss poor platforming, if you can even call it that. It got that Ocean stench reeking all over. This is retro gaming at its worst. Fuck this game!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Everspace 2. It's good fun.

The space art also looks very nice.

8-23-2023_12-18-18_amawe7r.png

8-23-2023_12-18-18_amt2iza.png

8-23-2023_12-18-19_ama3f0t.png

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Weird West - bought on sale for $10 which is an absolute steal. Isometric RPG/immersive sim hybrid where your decisions have rippling consequences. 5 characters whose storylines ultimately intertwine in a satisfying conclusion. Lots of room for improvement with a sequel but the foundation of what's here is truly great.

Rogue Legacy 2 - this came out at the "wrong" time on PS5 being sandwiched between SF6, Diablo 4 and FFXVI, three games that kept me well occupied for a couple of months (then Remnant 2 at the end of July). Sequel to one of the best rogue-lites ever, good stuff, hell of a challenge, Astromancer ftw.

Cursed Golf - just downloaded via PS+ yesterday and spent a good 2 hours with it this evening. Charming pixel art golf game with a twist. Randomized courses, back to Hole 1 if you "die". Cards that let you manipulate your balls (heh heh) in myriad ways from attaching rockets to coating them in ice to insta freeze water your ball lands on. Each course is like a puzzle, lots of strategy and multiple ways to reach the flag, I'm digging it.

Once Armored Core 6 drops everything else is getting pushed to the side for a good few weeks, Praise the Mech.

Mr Hyde

Playing Dark Souls 2: Seeker of Fire. Been wanting to play this pretty much since I got a PC. It's pretty good so far. Some subtle tweaks and changes that switches up the experience, and most of it is, so far, for the better. It's a sort of remix, kinda how Scholar of the first sin was a remix of base DS2. The biggest change graphically is the lighting, which is pretty damn nice sometimes, with more reflections in armor and weapons. Environments are much darker with more reliance of the torch. It doesn't look like the infamous demo that got downgraded, but it's the closest its ever been replicating it. Excited to see where this leads. So far, one new boss has been added, which was a reskin of a later boss, but still cool and kinda fit the lore of the game. Most changes have been in gameplay and item placement, but hopefully it adds more cool stuff like weapons, armor and bosses.

Seeker of Fire is pretty dope, but there are a few areas and bosses I prefer in the original. The Gutter in particular has been made too linear and removed the special invader. Also, there are two glitches I have come across. One is with NG+ boss weapon being untradeable and the other is with a disappearing Giant Golem in Harvest Valley. If you get stuck on the bosses there is a 50 percent enemy life reduction mod. I wish I knew about it before beating the game so I could upgrade more stats other than vigor.

Last edited:
The Outer Worlds.

Pretty fun little Fallout clone, dialogue and some of the stories really shine. Runs awesome on my PC and I'm streaming it to Deck using Sunshine/Moonlight when I don't feel like sitting in my office.

stn

Took a break from my main games to play Prototype (PS4). Lots of fun, sorry I missed it back in the 360PS3 days. I remember avoiding it because some of the reviews scared me off, but despite its flaws its very solid. Definitely going to plat both games at some point.

adamsapple

Wrapping up Everspace 2, the art and space continues to look great.

However, I am beginning to feel tuned out by just the same kind of combat over and over.

Not to make it into yet another Starfield tangent, but that game having both on-foot and planet stuff is exactly the kind of separation I wish this game also had.

8-24-2023_11-03-20_pmtnf1x.png

8-24-2023_11-03-21_pm3zdqh.png

8-24-2023_11-03-21_pmrnebj.png

8-23-2023_12-18-19_amg7dqr.png

adamsapple

Starfield has ruined games for me already. I don’t want to play anything else. So I decided to go back and start playing some of the N64 games on the Nintendo Switch service. Last night I booted up Pilotwings 64 and Waversce 64.

Same.

Don't want to start a big game right now but have picked one up which I started when it first came out but put down because of other things.

Prodeus.

It's a great game, it's like if Doom 2016 was made in the Doom 2 tech.

8-25-2023_11-01-02_amvfdhj.png

8-25-2023_11-01-03_ame8ivl.png

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Same.

Don't want to start a big game right now but have picked one up which I started when it first came out but put down because of other things.

Prodeus.

It's a great game, it's like if Doom 2016 was made in the Doom 2 tech.

8-25-2023_11-01-02_amvfdhj.png

8-25-2023_11-01-03_ame8ivl.png
I need to get back to that one. I looked great.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Going to jump on Exoprimal again when I get home. The 5 man Neo T-Rex challenge is up and I hear it's brutal. Seriously excited for it.

Limited respawns, half the people as normal. Everyone is going to have nail all the varied attacks, hide behind cover correctly on the blasts, jump on the platforms when the floor goes lava correctly. I anticipate frequent full party wipes tonight.

Caio

Armored Core VI, but only for half a hour today, my son took control of the XSX and played AC VI for 3 hours. Hopefully tomorrow he will let me play more :D

Mr Hyde

Blasphemous 2

Blasphemous is arguably the coolest thing to come out for the 2D Metroidvania scene in decades. Stellar art direction with some seriously twisted iconography, tight combat and platforming, and awesome bosses. Second one starts off right after the first and it seems to build upon everything that made the first one so memorable. Only scratched the surface so far but it's off to a good start, and I reckon it only gets better.

Gears of War 3 on XsX, haven't played it since release and damn I like it. On and of some sonic games and dipping in DCS with the A10C and a bit of IL2. Wanna go all in on DCS once I get my new pc around dec/jan.

bender

What time is it?
Hoping to wrap up my co-op playthrough of Remnant II this weekend. I'm pretty mixed on the game overall, not that it is bad, but it sort of has the opposite problem of the first which started off slow and got better the deeper in you got.

Also playing Armored Core VI. Really have a good time with it and it already has one of my favorite levels in any game this year.

Currently playing Blasphemous 2. Having fun with it, not sure I like it as much as the first game but I am still early days. Loving the OST though.

Mafia 2

Don‘t like this even remotely as much as the first. There is not one single likable character in the game…
I‘m almost finished now though. Will the prolly finish Mafia 3 and then move to Starfield.

Mafia 2

Don‘t like this even remotely as much as the first. There is not one single likable character in the game…
I‘m almost finished now though. Will the prolly finish Mafia 3 and then move to Starfield.
Are you comparing it to the remake or the original? Also, I personally think Leo and Henry are fascinating characters and Vito is a more complete character than Tommy in the original.

Punished Miku

Just finished Bramble. I absolutely loved it. Landing on an 8/10 because it could use more polish on controls in a few parts, but the game has many extremely cool moments.

Its like a casual platformer mixed with survival horror, and many bosses. One of them is possibly my favorite survival horror boss ever.

Cocoon will likely surpass it but its my favorite indie this year. Rough around the edges, but tons of cool moments. Took about 6 hrs.

Corian33

Loving BG3 but still in Act 1. I only get a couple gaming hours a day so it might take a while.

Also started playing IXION which is from the Frostpunk team and is a similar kind of game. Loved Frostpunk but I went into kinda spoiled cause I heard a podcast about it so I beat the game on my first try. Playing this one totally blind. Was blown away by what happens at the end of the prologue, can’t wait to see where it goes with the story and decisions. Was already rearranging my buildings in the tutorial because I knew my initial placements were inefficient. Good stuff!

Last edited:
Armored Core, Baldurs Gate, and Tears of the Kingdom. Not bad much time recently and I am slow so I’ll be here forever with these games.

Also started Pokémon GO again…what year is it? lol. I did play it for a while back when it came out but I’m trying to push myself to walk more. I do a lot of walking. Easily 10,000 steps a day but want to try do 15-20,000 more often. This is motivating me to walk instead of use my scooter or car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you believe I decided to play a couple NES classics. Played Legend of Kage for the first time in years. Saludos to LegendOfKage LegendOfKage for including the boxart in the AV
One of the first video games I ever played. I wouldn't learn it's "ka-gay" not "cage" (rhymes with today, not page) until about 20 years later. I still think of it the wrong way, though. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Punished Miku

One of the first video games I ever played. I wouldn't learn it's "ka-gay" not "cage" (rhymes with today, not page) until about 20 years later. I still think of it the wrong way, though. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Did you ever play the sequel? I walked into the store one day and saw it on Nintendo DS, published by SQEX and nearly shit myself.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It would have been a great first place. The ka-hay / cage remind me of how Ninja Gaiden (guy-den) was being pronounced gay-denn. Taito also released Ninja Hayate...wonder how that would have been pronounced :?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Finished Live a Live which was great. Now that is a JRPG. One of the best I've played in years.

Games I have lined up: Demons of Asteborg, Embers of Mirrim, Gal Guardians, Ghost Song, Immortals of Aveum.

I started Demons of Asteborg and I love the gameplay, but it has something I absolutely LOATHE in games. Number of lives that if you die enough you get game over and have to start all over. Can't knock the game too much because it's an old game, but man, playing a game in 2023 where you sink an hour+ into something, die and lose everything and have to start over from the beginning. Nah, sorry. My time is too valuable for that.

Think I'll be doing Ghost Song next.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Finally playing gow 2018 - its pretty great so far. Wonderful on all accounts. Still getting used to the fighting mechanics for the most part.

I think my biggest gripe so far if i had to call one out is their gear system. I think being able to spend resources on gear early on when you find new and better gear relatively quickly makes it a waste. The balance of it all just seems off.

Im usually pretty frugal when it comes to spending resources on gear/skills to level up in general so this system is just crippling to get around with no true direction im not leveling anything at all and just hoarding

Punished Miku

I started on the Western story and found it so so slow - then I felt massively confused at the grid combat and dropped it. I should try it again as everybody raves about it as a JRPG
It's basically 8 different 2-3 hour JRPGs. If you don't like one, you may like the next one. The good news is they're all short and it gets kind of addicting to feel like you're completing things so quickly. I'd love a sequel. That format is great.

Top Bottom