• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Mr Hyde

Man, that game is soooooo good. I love the costume change animation, it was kind of.mind blowing back then. I played that game alot as a kid with my older brothers. Capcom were absolute beasts with their licensed games back then.

Capcom was indeed beasts with their Disney output back then. Kinda wish they'd go back and put out some new games again, but Disney is really stingy with their IPs today. And Capcom probably doesn't want to either anymore, lol. They've moved on to greater pastures.

Mr Hyde

Oh, you are still early. Eviterno will be right before the final boss. The most challenging fight in the game, and it's spoiled by unskippable cutscenes.

I remember there was something like that in the first game too, when you fought that chick up on the rooftops and there was a lot of dialogue before the fight that you couldn't skip. Super annoying, especially if you die a lot.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Beat Ghost Song. Fun Metroidvania. Enjoyed the story in it quite a bit, it was interesting. Gameplay was solid, didn’t do anything special.

Nice soundtrack. Opening track reminds me of Life is Strange: Before the Storm.

Time for starfield

hJlXGDm.jpg

XjAHlEB.jpg

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I cancelled my Constellation Edition pre-order. Couldn't justify the price for what I consider a mediocre item and it didn't even come with a physical copy. F that.

Playing Planet of Lana next and then Trine 5. Taking a break from intense games. Just want a period of relaxation. Usually have one of these stretches this time of year coming off the summer.

sedg87

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Finished the game with Aqua and that's all three completed

Marvel's Midnight Suns
Just completed the story mission where you have to drop the church bell on Venom. Still enjoying myself with the game.

Gonna round off my Friday evening with a horror title. I'm itching to play Resident Evil 4 remake for the 5th time, but I think I'll play Silent Hill 2. Not far from the end of that and really enjoying it.

Mr Hyde

The last couple of bosses in Blasphemous 2 have been so good. Not as good as the first one, but still really damn good. I was a bit disappointed in the first two, considering how awesome the first two in the original was, but these later bosses have brought up the quality considerably. And that soundtrack! My god, is it good. It hits the right notes, both during exploring and during boss fights. Really gets your juices flowing. This whole game, and now franchise, is a masterclass in 2D Metroidvania. I rank it up with the GOAT Symphony of the Night. It's that good

22 hours into Sea of Stars. The story is getting really good and has twists that surprised me. The production values are off the charts. The biggest surprise is getting short animated cutscenes. I get Golden Sun vibes whenever I play through the game. I'm at level 16. The battle system is so good

Right there with you. It's all I've played since Tuesday, loving it! The minigame, Wheels, is actually pretty fun too (when the AI isn't cheating). The plot is really getting interesting now, and I love the world building in the game - how Teak's stories play into the story and the backdrop.

The music is a high point, and I have been absolutely loving all of the environments and remixes of tracks from The Messenger. Sabotage has done a lot right to create the universe for these games, and little nuggets like that go a long way bringing it to life.

Fess

Starfield 🤗
MQs7UA1.jpg

First play session landed at 8.3 hours.

First impressions: I can see some people not enjoying this but for me it’s fantastic, it’s Mass Effect X No Man’s Sky and I love both those games. And it’s overwhelmingly big. I feel like I’ll never stop playing this, only scratched the surface and *poof* 8 hours.

About to eat some breakfast now and then I’ll jump in again. Love it!

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Finished

Sea of Stars: A (Switch)

Total Playtime: 27:03 Hours

Non Spoiler

Pros

Graphics

I loved the 16 bit look. Reminded me of a more beautiful Golden Sun. The Animation was great for each enemy and character. The boss sprites is where the game shines especially when it comes to animation. They are usually the most detailed and have the most expressive Animations. Not to mention the size of these boss sprites are huge. The backgrounds are fantastic and I love the usage of lighting. Also I love the short animated cutscenes sprinkled about the whole game. There's not alot of them but what's there is fantastic. Also the game runs well on Switch. I didn't notice any slowdown or graphical glitches. It does have loading scenes but they don't last very long

Story/Cast/Setting/Lore

The story is really good but starts off slow. Takes a while to hook you. I would say the 2 mains are bland while the rest of the cast is good. The setting is interesting and has some good Lore that you can seek out if you want to learn more about the world and it's history. I think the story is better than Chained Echoes and it has way better twists. Not to mention the game doesn't try to be contrainian in it's plot just because it wanted to be. That's what I found so predictable about Chained Echoes. But I'm gonna to stop dissing Chained Echoes.

Gameplay

I loved figuring out how to get past puzzles in environments/dungeons to progress the game. It was fun using the various gadgets I got solving the puzzles. I found the puzzles were extremely fair and weren't too hard. If I was lost on what to do, it usually took me around 20 mins until I figured it out.

Battle wise, I like that you can see enemies on the screen. Some of them are scripted but you can avoid them if you know how. Also you can use to hook shot to aim at an enemy and hit them before entering battle so you go first and you do a little damage before. The combat was fun but slow. It might turn off some people but I loved it. The timed button prompts to increase damage and to increase your defense was fun. The attack animations and magic attack animations your character used were fantastic. Same with the Enemy Attack animations. Overall a really fun system

Cons

Story

Even though the story is good. This game really needed a text log. I had to make sure I didn't press the forward button on cutscenes quickly since I didn't want to miss what they said.

Music

The music grew on me but I preferred if the game sounded more epic. Like I wish it was more orchestra instead of 16 bit chiptune. The music isn't bad but its not Chrono Trigger memorable.

Cast

I hate Yolanda character since I hate Meta comedy and anything meta in general. It just kind of cheapens the experience IMO

Gameplay

I don't like the fact that you can't save anywhere you want. That was a weird design choice. Also there wasn't a battle speed option since those battles are slow and I can understand why that would turn people off

I'm gonna to be doing Post-Game and NG+

But I'll do that later

Right there with you. It's all I've played since Tuesday, loving it! The minigame, Wheels, is actually pretty fun too (when the AI isn't cheating). The plot is really getting interesting now, and I love the world building in the game - how Teak's stories play into the story and the backdrop.

The music is a high point, and I have been absolutely loving all of the environments and remixes of tracks from The Messenger. Sabotage has done a lot right to create the universe for these games, and little nuggets like that go a long way bringing it to life.

My plan is to go back and do the Post-Game and NG+. That includes doing everything including that minigame Wheels, fishing, finding all the Lore Pieces so I can listen to Teak tell me the history, etc

This game was a shock for me since I ended up loving it. Usually when a indie studio proclaims that they are inspired by this "Classic RPG", I usually get bored 5 to 10 hours in. Chained Echoes and Cosmic Star Heroine were recent ones I had massive issues with

Next games I'm playing

Legend of Nayuta Boundless Trails
Star Ocean 2 HD-2D Remake

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Days Gone NG+, Dead Space Remake & Death Stranding on PS5. Will try Starfield soon, though would like the raised blacks and HDR 400 nit limit to be fixed first. BG3 coming up soon too.

stn

Just FF 16 at the moment, 65% done. I love it even though it is very simple and lacks depth. The story, music, combat, and characters are great. I also love the setting. It doesn't feel like an FF game too much, but it still scratches a huge itch for me.

SpiceRacz

Gold Member
The last couple of bosses in Blasphemous 2 have been so good. Not as good as the first one, but still really damn good. I was a bit disappointed in the first two, considering how awesome the first two in the original was, but these later bosses have brought up the quality considerably. And that soundtrack! My god, is it good. It hits the right notes, both during exploring and during boss fights. Really gets your juices flowing. This whole game, and now franchise, is a masterclass in 2D Metroidvania. I rank it up with the GOAT Symphony of the Night. It's that good

That's about the highest praise you can give and I agree. Easily my favorite metroidvania since Hollow Knight. I'm most of the way through it and I think I'm gonna go for 100%. Sounds weird, but in a year of Zelda, RE4, Starfield, etc. this is my GOTY up to this point.

Vblad88

Tried Horizon Forbidden West despite I ranked Zero Dawn "Meh" in my internal rating. Clicked so far, somehow the back story became more engaging. And I also think that the level design does better job in explaining to player how to play effectively. I was suffering a lot in ZD running&bow shooting, struggling to finish it even at story mode [sic!]. I thought I simply sucked at that mechanic, but the problem was running around instead of taking a little more time really. Forbidden West is punishing player for the "rambo" mode way quicker - and thanks to that playing on normal difficulty started to make sense :)

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

That's about the highest praise you can give and I agree. Easily my favorite metroidvania since Hollow Knight. I'm most of the way through it and I think I'm gonna go for 100%. Sounds weird, but in a year of Zelda, RE4, Starfield, etc. this is my GOTY up to this point.

It's definitely a GOTY candidate. 2023 is gonna be a difficult year to choose a winner for me. So many great games released so far. And I have yet to play Starfield, Sea of Stars, Lies of P, Lords of the Fallen and all the rest of the awesome games that lies ahead. Good times.

downloaded No Man's Sky again. Haven't played it in almost 2 years. been disappointed with the space travel in Starfield (it's basically a lot of menus, fast travelling and loading screen simulator)

have even been considering downloading Star Citizen :messenger_tears_of_joy:

i've been wanting a good space game but for one reason or another they fall short. starfield is the latest disappointment. not sure how long i'm going to be able to stick with it. i'm only playing so i can feel like i got some money's worth out it. but hey i guess it's my own stupid fault for preordering the premium edition lol.

i've tried elite dangerous, nms, and eve online. i want a game i can chill, explorer, and maybe do some jobs like bounties/deliveries.

MacReady13

On my newly built PC- Starfield. Really loving it so far. Playing at 60 fps is a god send for this game. How anyone can justify playing it at 30 fps is beyond me.
Was playing Remnant 2 on PS5 but I’ll get it on PC for the super smooth frame rate.

hero

I recently bought a Nintendo Switch along with Metroid Dread. That first day, I also tried the Harvestella demo and was hooked. I finished the demo and immediately bought a physical copy.

It’s fairly simplistic, but is fun. It’s an RPG with farming, not the other way around, which surprised me.

Mr Hyde

Reached Eviterno in Blasphemous 2. He hits like a goddamn truck in his second phase, leaving not much room to breathe. I'm slowly learning his moves though so I think he will go down in a couple of more tries. The ascent up to him in the Crimson Rain, with that organ music, is such a powerful moment. I felt the same chills as I did during the ascent to the fourth boss in Returnal, which uses a similar atmosphere and organ music, ending in a kick ass boss fight. Epic shit.

PanzerCute

hero

I recently bought a Nintendo Switch along with Metroid Dread. That first day, I also tried the Harvestella demo and was hooked. I finished the demo and immediately bought a physical copy.

It’s fairly simplistic, but is fun. It’s an RPG with farming, not the other way around, which surprised me.
I am almost 60h into the game and I love it. The visuals are beautiful, musics are great, the gameplay loop is hyper addictive and the story is surprisingly GREAT!

This is the developer's second game after Ender Lilies (a game I also loved) and it should have gotten more praise imo.

xrnzaaas

I'm (slowly) playing Shadow Gambit and for most part it's enjoyable. I actually don't mind going back to the same maps to perform new missions, because they usually take place in different areas. The tales aboard the ship can be pretty dull, but thankfully they're not long. Graphics are very good and I'm always a sucker for tropical locations.

My main issue is that the playable characters aren't very balanced. Some of them have very useful skills. Toya's whistle + traps can be very powerful, with Pinkus you can explore the majority of the maps in a "disguise". On the other hand there are characters with veeery slow kill animations or useless abilities like Teresa's sniper skill requiring to reach the body to regain ammo.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I've been playing Sea of Stars. 11 hours in so far. Enjoying it.

I also (finally) started Chorus, and it pleasantly surprised me. I'm pretty sure I'll finish this one and enjoy the ride.

OG Resident Evil 4 Mercenaries! Soooooooo addictive! Easy to learn hard to master. This is the RE4 experience distilled into bite sized arcade missions! The stop and pop gameplay tricks the player into staying in a certain area to make a stand against the hordes, when they should keep on the move most of the time! And dat inventory screen! Makes everything almost feel like a turn based RPG sometimes...lets the player catch their breath and think out their next moves as they pause to swap weapons, heal. Such is the majesty of Resident Evil 4 as a whole!

Krieger

Some games I finished over the past few weeks:
  • Horizon: Forbidden West and Burning Shores - 6/10
    • I don't like Aloy, the story was bloated, but hunting mecha dinosaurs is still fun. Burning Shores looked good, but everything else annoyed me, especially all the Quen characters.
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022) - 3/10
    • The worst CoD I ever played. The story is equal to a D-tier one season show on Prime/Netflix. There are no memorable set pieces or missions. Even Vanguard had something good like the Stalingrad mission. The multiplayer exists just to annoy you with the battlepass bullshit.
  • Crysis 1 Remastered - 5/10
    • It looks dated and the story isn't really any good. The suit powers don't make you feel overpowered in this game.
  • Crysis 2 Remastered - 8/10
    • The best Crysis game. It still looks good and the suit powers are much better and make the game more fun. Plus there is non-stop action.
  • Crysis 3 Remastered - 7/10
    • It looks even better than Crysis 2 and is still as fun, but it's too short.

Alpha Male

It's an embarrassment of riches right now...

Series X
Starfield
Age of Empires 4
Battlefield 2042
Halo Infinite multiplayer
Flight Sim

PS5
Baldur's Gate 3

Switch OLED handheld
Tears of the Kingdom

Mr Hyde

Finally got to launch Starfield. I just played the opening and created my character. Went with explorer. It suits me and my preferred character arc. Classic intro. Discover a weird artifact when mining in a cave and it leads to a greater mystery. Space pirates attack because they are after it too. I like it. Very excited to continue this journey after work and then during the weekend.

Last edited:
Top Bottom