• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Ev1L AuRoN

Switch: Lovin' the art style, this game is gorgeous.
sea-of-stars-1k200idq0eecw.jpg

PS5: My addiction since it was released. In a road to MASTER rank.
sukurinshiyotsuto-20230224-112525.png

PC: Starfield (Just tested yesterday, today I'll play proper)
Starfield-2023.jpg

Retrogame (emulation) Daikamaimura - PC Engine (even better than the legendary Genesis version IMHO)
mqdefault.jpg

Switch: Lovin' the art style, this game is gorgeous.
sea-of-stars-1k200idq0eecw.jpg
I waffled back and forth between the Switch and PC demo. I couldn't decide if the portability was worth buying a digital game from the Nintendo eShop. I still have emotional trauma from permanently losing all my digital 3DS games. In the end, I decided that my old eyes would prefer a larger screen, so my 15" laptop or 25" monitor are more suited for this game. That, and the price of the game bundled with The Messenger was less total on Steam than the game alone on Switch.

If this game had been released physically, I would have bought it on Switch without hesitation. It's a shame. I go to my local shop and see dozens of indie garbage PC ports on the Switch shelf, but yet this masterpiece of a game is not there.

Agreed. I am so happy there was a demo. Otherwise, I would have just lumped it in the pile of the other hundreds of "retro" RPGs that have flooded the market. I thought it would just be another Chrono Trigger clone. Well, maybe it is, but it's flawless for me so far. Even how the cooking mechanics are well done. I think the 10-item-limit mechanic is brilliant.

Ev1L AuRoN

I waffled back and forth between the Switch and PC demo. I couldn't decide if the portability was worth buying a digital game from the Nintendo eShop. I still have emotional trauma from permanently losing all my digital 3DS games. In the end, I decided that my old eyes would prefer a larger screen, so my 15" laptop or 25" monitor are more suited for this game. That, and the price of the game bundled with The Messenger was less total on Steam than the game alone on Switch.

If this game had been released physically, I would have bought it on Switch without hesitation. It's a shame. I go to my local shop and see dozens of indie garbage PC ports on the Switch shelf, but yet this masterpiece of a game is not there.
I have it on PS5 thanks to PSN Plus, but I want an excuse to dust off my switch and that's the type of experience that best suit the system. I played the first 3 hours on PS5 just to check the game, and it is glorious blown out on a 65'' TV, on the switch the game will give me something fun to do on the go. I just finished Final Fantasy VI/III from the pixel remaster, and the timing is perfect for it.

BbMajor7th

I've tried and bounced off a bunch of stuff. Right now I'm playing Daymare :1994, Sea of Stars, Blasphemous II and Armored Core VI.

Corian33

So many good games right now. Just upgraded my PC which makes it all even better.

Starfield - I wasn’t even sure what I wanted or expected this game to be, but it’s awesome. This is a world I want to explore and live in for a long time. I love the vibe and there’s just new stuff everywhere you go.

Baldur’s Gate 3 - Such a rich world that lets you be creative and responds to the choices you make. I’ll never have the time but I would love to finish it and immediately start an evil play through just to try all the options my paladin would never choose.

Diablo IV - What can I say, I like the grind for the battle pass. It fits into my daily schedule to play for 30-45 minutes each night.

WARNO/Steel Division 2 - I’ve always enjoyed the Eugen strategy games but I’m really getting into them lately. So satisfying to zoom in and out of these giant battles. I used to suck and just throw units in willy nilly, but I’m learning to play better. Winning is way more about strategy/positioning/knowledge than how fast you can click.

Havoc2049

Starfield (XB) - Amazing RPG.

Quake II: The Reckoning (XB) - Finished Quake II, Quake II 64, and Ground Zero. Playing through The Reckoning now and then I'll play Call of the Machine to finish everything off that the remaster has to offer.

The Making of Karateka (XB) - Great Interactive Documentary and I'm playing through the Apple II version right now.

Towers II Enhanced Stargazer Edition (Atari Jaguar) - RPG dungeon crawler.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I decided to do everything in Sea of Stars and get the Post Game True Ending

Sea of Stars: A (Switch)

Playtime: 43:51

Level 22

Got All Relics
Got All Cooking Recipes
Found all Treasure Chests
Got all 23 Fish Species
Got all 60 Rainbow Counches
Got all Question Sheets and Ace Every Quiz
Beat Every Wheel Opponent
Got The True Ending
Got All 4 Flimsy Hammer

The thing is I have no idea what do with the Flimsy Hammers

UPDATE

Found out what to do with the Flimsy Hammers. That was a cool nod to Chrono Trigger

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

How is Daymare 1994? A Resident Evil rip-off, right? Any good?
I was pleasantly surprised. The writing and acting are nothing to write home about, but the actual design is decent. Does a good job of building atmosphere and the enemies are genuinely threatening. Graphically it's quite nice, though the lack of budget does show up in things like cutscene animations (main character's run cycle is a little off too). Aside from that, it is taking heavy inspiration from the modern REmakes, though it does seem more linear with less emphasis on items and puzzles. That said, I'm only an hour or two in, so that might change.

Performance-wise, it feels like a steady 60FPS on PS5, with a resolution of around 1440p - my best estimation.

Labolas

Freedom Planet 2 - what an amazing ass game. I played the first one and loved it. This one is even better. This could have been my goty last year. I haven't felt this good playing a game in a long time.

Last edited:
So many good games right now. Just upgraded my PC which makes it all even better.

Starfield - I wasn’t even sure what I wanted or expected this game to be, but it’s awesome. This is a world I want to explore and live in for a long time. I love the vibe and there’s just new stuff everywhere you go.

Baldur’s Gate 3 - Such a rich world that lets you be creative and responds to the choices you make. I’ll never have the time but I would love to finish it and immediately start an evil play through just to try all the options my paladin would never choose.

Diablo IV - What can I say, I like the grind for the battle pass. It fits into my daily schedule to play for 30-45 minutes each night.

WARNO/Steel Division 2 - I’ve always enjoyed the Eugen strategy games but I’m really getting into them lately. So satisfying to zoom in and out of these giant battles. I used to suck and just throw units in willy nilly, but I’m learning to play better. Winning is way more about strategy/positioning/knowledge than how fast you can click.

Sounds like you're in gaming heaven

Duchess

The Witcher 3 still. Coming towards the end.

I actually had to stop and search my PS4 trophy list, to see if I actually finished the game back then, and just plain forgot. No, I didn't. I believe I stopped when I got to the Isle of Mists, because I was a bit burned out.

Last edited:
Great to see all the Sea of Stars love in here. I am 40 hours in and finishing up sidequests near the endgame. I don’t want it to end, but at the same time, it feels like a good length for a game of this magnitude.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Currently doing another playthrough of Persona 5 Royal. I'm about 96 hours in and just made it to the final boss. This is my 3rd playthrough, and first time playing the PS5 version with 60 fps.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished P5R at 102 hours. One of my favorite games of all time. Every time I beat it I feel a bit sad that the journey is over.
Now time to join the splatfest in Splatoon 3 and help Queen Frye win!

Last edited:

Muffdraul

One week ago, after wrapping up my AC Origins file, prob my 8th replay or so, main game + both DLCs, god DAMN that Curse of the Pharaohs is great... I decided I absolutely had to play something new next. New to me, at least. I'm not the biggest Harry Potter fan in the world, but I did read all of the books, if only to get my niece and gf at the time off my back. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy them a lot. So, I decided to play Hogwarts Legacy, which I never really cared about, but I recall watching a few minutes of the gameranx Before You Buy video on it back when it released and thinking "Hey this actually looks good." I started it a week ago today, played through the free 45-min demo and then IMMEDIATELY paid to unlock the full game. I don't know how many hours I've been playing, but I just hit lvl 25 last night and I can't wait to get home tonight and play it all weekend.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I plan on doing basically everything in the game, unless the last couple Wheels matches prove to be ridiculously hard. I want those 60 rainbow conches.

The Wheels minigame is fantastic

Wish there was more

I was able to beat all the opponents

As for Rainbow Counches

Find all 60 of them they count towards the True Ending

Try to get all Flimsy Hammers

There are 4 in total

Get all 23 Fish Species
Beat all the Wheel minigame
Answer all 11 Questions Packs
And go through the final dungeon in total

If you have any more questions than just @ me

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Baldur's Gate 3! Just started Act II, absolutely love the game!

SD4A1HM.jpg

Once you get what you want from her, leave her where she belongs....FOR THE STREEETS! lol

hxcV3mm.jpg

We dramatically did this man in! lol Once you drop his goons in the pit with the giant spider, gang jump him! This fucking beating was so bad, I thought I heard the Gangland narrator repeating shit about his death (periodically every 5 minutes)

lqzAsCr.jpg

Had to put Starfield on hold, its just too sus and semi woke /s

mNOeeK5.jpg

lolz jk jk ...maybe lol Will give it some attention when I've finished BG3

Hestar69

Sea of stars only 4hrs in and enjoying it so far

Diablo 4 with friends lvl 43 druid atm

Starfield Good game,but it needs some QOL improvements to it.

Just played forspoken (got in amazons B1G1) and I'm liking it more than ff16..I don't mind the cheesy stuff over the terrible ff16 story (I still say its the worst FF game ever)

Lunar 1 about 3hrs in first cave kicked my ass lol

Hestar69

I decided to do everything in Sea of Stars and get the Post Game True Ending

Sea of Stars: A (Switch)

Playtime: 43:51

Level 22

Got All Relics
Got All Cooking Recipes
Found all Treasure Chests
Got all 23 Fish Species
Got all 60 Rainbow Counches
Got all Question Sheets and Ace Every Quiz
Beat Every Wheel Opponent
Got The True Ending
Got All 4 Flimsy Hammer

The thing is I have no idea what do with the Flimsy Hammers

UPDATE

Found out what to do with the Flimsy Hammers. That was a cool nod to Chrono Trigger
is it hard to miss the true ending?

Just wrapped playing Ever Forward on Switch. Have no idea how this ended up on my list but this game was a programming tragedy. I was able to overlook the pile of graphics issues and still enjoy the high contrast style, but the loose play control made the later puzzles unnecessarily frustrating, and when shifting gravity entered the picture... oh my. Nothing quite like watching your character float with her head on the ground, drifting sideways without accepting input because her feet aren't planted. Or when the camera is 90 degrees off and the controls are randomly inverted. It was admittedly fitting that the end sequence resulted in the game crashing.

zDfkvgD.jpg

I just finished Metroid Dread. It was a lot of fun but kind of soured on me toward the end. I get people liking more difficult boss encounters. My issue was that the encounters were a bit too lengthy for my liking, regardless of difficulty, only to be further ruined by having the outcome of said boss fight depend on timing of QTE's.... The first time I played the game was almost a year ago when my brother bought me the game for Christmas. I spent about 20 minutes playing the game and quit, because I had no idea what I was doing or how to get past the first E.M.M.I. I was like, "I don't need this kind of negativity in my life," and put the game away in favor of finishing BotW. Fast forward almost a year later and I thought it was time to take the game more seriously. Dread has a super steep learning curve (imo) with very little instruction, at least at the beginning. Once I started to grasp the mechanics and encounters it was a blast. But, like I mentioned at the beginning of my post, long encounters dependent upon finishing QTE's became more and more an annoyance. The repetitive chozo boss fights anyone? Through the first half of the game I was thinking Dread would easily be a 9/10 for me, but instead the annoying parts I mentioned brought it down to a 7.5 by the time I finished. An 8/10 would be a solid score but I just can't. Good game marred by unnecessary game development decisions (my opinion).

GrayDock

Just platinumed Forspoken. Isn't bad as some people want you to believe. Sure isn't the showcase that was promised, but far from being awful as it's painted by the media. Give it a try.
Started Armored Core VI and it's From as it's best. Hard as hell sometimes, but so worth...

AndrewRyan

Finished R&C: Rift Apart on pc. Played the first half on the steam deck and what a treat it is playing portably. Had to send the steam deck back to Valve since one of the shoulder buttons went bad. Played the second half with PS5 controller and what an improvement haptic feedback makes.

Also finally got around to playing Remnant 2 since it didn't really runt well on steam deck and loving it so far.

Just finished Sea of Stars, and all I have to say is... WOW! I absolutely loved it, easily my indie GOTY. It could even be GOTY in a weaker year, 2023 was particularly strong. Overall the game has some faults, but it does an incredible job of modernizing the 2D JRPG formula of childhood. Anyone who enjoyed Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, or Golden Sun needs to play the game all the way through. Anyone who enjoyed The Messenger and likes RPGs.

The Wheels minigame is fantastic

Wish there was more

I was able to beat all the opponents

As for Rainbow Counches

Find all 60 of them they count towards the True Ending

Try to get all Flimsy Hammers

There are 4 in total

Get all 23 Fish Species
Beat all the Wheel minigame
Answer all 11 Questions Packs
And go through the final dungeon in total

If you have any more questions than just @ me

I ended up going for 100% and I can't understate how right you are about the true ending and post-game being worth it. Those flimsy hammers and that part right after was awesome. The segment at the end of the final boss fight was something else too. I am a total sucker for that kind of thing.

Top Bottom