• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Just finished Sea of Stars, and all I have to say is... WOW! I absolutely loved it, easily my indie GOTY. It could even be GOTY in a weaker year, 2023 was particularly strong. Overall the game has some faults, but it does an incredible job of modernizing the 2D JRPG formula of childhood. Anyone who enjoyed Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, or Golden Sun needs to play the game all the way through. Anyone who enjoyed The Messenger and likes RPGs.

I ended up going for 100% and I can't understate how right you are about the true ending and post-game being worth it. Those flimsy hammers and that part right after was awesome. The segment at the end of the final boss fight was something else too. I am a total sucker for that kind of thing.

If you keep on talking to thet Grim Reaper dude he eventually leaves the secret area. It was fun to find out

Never played The Messenger but this game might have flaws but it's fantastic

Glad you were able to enjoy it as much as I did

If you keep on talking to thet Grim Reaper dude he eventually leaves the secret area. It was fun to find out

Never played The Messenger but this game might have flaws but it's fantastic

Glad you were able to enjoy it as much as I did

It's a completely different kind of game, but the personality is there. Considering how much you loved Sea of Stars, The Messenger is definitely worth it. Makes a lot of story beats and little nods that Sea of Stars does much more meaningful.

Ryuji Goda

Finished The Devil In Me and really liked it.

I would rank the Suppermassive games as follows (so far):

1. Until Dawn
2. The Devil In Me
3. Little Hope
4. Man of Medan
5. House of Ashes

Last night I started the Quarry and love it already. Only played the prologue but it looks so much better than the previous Supermassive games; the lighting and the face animations especially.

Trying out this new free to play shooter called SYNCED. I don't know, it seems alright for something different but jeez with the amount of slots you can customise it's going to be riddled with MTX. Probably won't play it long term to be honest.

Just played forspoken (got in amazons B1G1) and I'm liking it more than ff16..I don't mind the cheesy stuff over the terrible ff16 story (I still say its the worst FF game ever)
Agreed. I tried Forspoken after FF16 and had a lot more fun. Everything about FF16 is amazing except the actual gameplay.

sedg87

Silent Hill 2
Just finished this. Terrifying and heartbreaking in almost equal amounts. Loved everything about it. Got the 'In Water' ending.

Gonna move straight on to Silent Hill 3

Just finished Kena, solid, fun game that didn't overstay it's welcome.

I heard mostly good, but mixed things about Kena and finally played it recently on Extra. What shocked me most was how solid the gameplay and combat was. So fluid, I was really impressed by it. And you're spot on that it didn't overstay its welcome, I can easily see myself replaying so I ended up buying a cheap used copy to back to one day once it leaves the service.

Finished The Devil In Me and really liked it.

I would rank the Suppermassive games as follows (so far):

1. Until Dawn
2. The Devil In Me
3. Little Hope
4. Man of Medan
5. House of Ashes

Last night I started the Quarry and love it already. Only played the prologue but it looks so much better than the previous Supermassive games; the lighting and the face animations especially.

I loved Until Dawn and plan to play some of the others as it's getting to be the spooky season. It seems like they put these out each year and I'm planning to start playing through in lieu of horror films this year since I've watched all the good ones.

Josemayuste

I'm 70 hr. into Baldur's Gate III and enjoying it, a lot, I expected it to be good, but, not so much, kind of. and 10 hours into Starfield.

Good games both of them.

Marvel14

Banned
Pikmin 4...Still very early days and I'm taking it slow but the game is the deepest and most sophisticated it's ever been so I'm expecting to be in love within a couple of weeks. If so I'll post a LTTP thread.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
It's a completely different kind of game, but the personality is there. Considering how much you loved Sea of Stars, The Messenger is definitely worth it. Makes a lot of story beats and little nods that Sea of Stars does much more meaningful.

I'm skipping The Messenger. Looks way too hard for my skill level and not a fan of the visual aesthetic

I wish there was more to that Wheels MIni Game though. I would love to play more of it if they ever decide to expand the mini game further

Last edited:

Skeptical

I've been going on a Nintendo Switch Online spree. If I'm gonna pay 50 bucks for this, I'm making the most of it. So I've played:

Kirby's Dreamland - Short. Ok. Surprising how many elements actually were still present from the beginning.

Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins - A lot of great ideas here, but controls means it fails. Which is too bad, because it should be good.

Ocarina of Time - Is it still awesome after 36 playthroughs? *Checks* Yep, still awesome

Yoshi's Story - I can appreciate that it did some different stuff with the structure, like needing to play only 6 out of 24 levels or that the level just ends after getting enough fruit and all, but it just isn't that much fun to play. I didn't bother going through and trying to reach all the levels.

Metroid Fusion - Huh. OK, this was the one that got me to get NSO to begin with. It's fine, it's good, but it really didn't grab me. I didn't go into it expecting to reach the heights of Super Metroid or Dread, but still wasn't as exciting as I'd hope. The bosses were cool, but so many were off the screen half the time which made the fights frustrating. The lack of exploration until the very end gave me zero incentive to find the ~45 items I missed. In Super, the fights against Ridley and Mother Brain were battles of attrition, you NEEDED all those missiles/super missiles or else rely entirely on skill or luck. But here, it seems most bosses were intended to be fought with your charge beam, so missile expansions were useless. And since bosses hit hard and you hit hard too, fights are over too quickly for energy tanks to worry about too much. In fairness, Dread is similar in many ways, but I think it was executed in a much better fashion. But hey, at least I've finally played at least one version of all 8 mainline games.

Kuru Kuru Kururin - I remember thinking this was cool when I first heard about it back in 2001. It's simple enough, but the courses get really complex by the end. I think some of those courses get too long, but still, this was pretty fun. I'm glad I finally got a chance to play it.

Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
- Any hope I had that time would mellow out my sour taste of pre-BotW 21st century Zelda is gone. Kinstones makes exploration tedious and unrewarding. An overexcessive use of linear gates requiring heavy backtracking in order to continue the main path makes the core game tedious and unrewarding. Actual dungeon design is solid, but that can't make up for the other issues (especially since there are so few of these dungeons). It still boggles my mind that the Fujibayashi/Aonuma team could do a complete 180 and create BotW after so many of these average experiences.

I've been going on a Nintendo Switch Online spree. If I'm gonna pay 50 bucks for this, I'm making the most of it. So I've played:

Kirby's Dreamland - Short. Ok. Surprising how many elements actually were still present from the beginning.

Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins - A lot of great ideas here, but controls means it fails. Which is too bad, because it should be good.

Ocarina of Time - Is it still awesome after 36 playthroughs? *Checks* Yep, still awesome

Yoshi's Story - I can appreciate that it did some different stuff with the structure, like needing to play only 6 out of 24 levels or that the level just ends after getting enough fruit and all, but it just isn't that much fun to play. I didn't bother going through and trying to reach all the levels.

Metroid Fusion - Huh. OK, this was the one that got me to get NSO to begin with. It's fine, it's good, but it really didn't grab me. I didn't go into it expecting to reach the heights of Super Metroid or Dread, but still wasn't as exciting as I'd hope. The bosses were cool, but so many were off the screen half the time which made the fights frustrating. The lack of exploration until the very end gave me zero incentive to find the ~45 items I missed. In Super, the fights against Ridley and Mother Brain were battles of attrition, you NEEDED all those missiles/super missiles or else rely entirely on skill or luck. But here, it seems most bosses were intended to be fought with your charge beam, so missile expansions were useless. And since bosses hit hard and you hit hard too, fights are over too quickly for energy tanks to worry about too much. In fairness, Dread is similar in many ways, but I think it was executed in a much better fashion. But hey, at least I've finally played at least one version of all 8 mainline games.

Kuru Kuru Kururin - I remember thinking this was cool when I first heard about it back in 2001. It's simple enough, but the courses get really complex by the end. I think some of those courses get too long, but still, this was pretty fun. I'm glad I finally got a chance to play it.

Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap - Any hope I had that time would mellow out my sour taste of pre-BotW 21st century Zelda is gone. Kinstones makes exploration tedious and unrewarding. An overexcessive use of linear gates requiring heavy backtracking in order to continue the main path makes the core game tedious and unrewarding. Actual dungeon design is solid, but that can't make up for the other issues (especially since there are so few of these dungeons). It still boggles my mind that the Fujibayashi/Aonuma team could do a complete 180 and create BotW after so many of these average experiences.

I had the exact same thoughts on Kirby’s Dreamland lol. Back then it was a different time, such a simplistic short first outing.

Kuru Kuru Kururin would have been impossible without save states near the end. Fun game like The Irritating Stick though.

And thank you for the real take on Metroid Fusion and Minish Cap. I see so much love for those two in recent time, it’s like everyone forgot how disappointing they were (similar to Super Mario Sunshine) and is gaslighting anyone who remembers how they were some of the lowest ranking games in their respective series for a long while. Not that they’re bad games per se, just among the lowest tier Metroids and Zeldas.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I had the exact same thoughts on Kirby’s Dreamland lol. Back then it was a different time, such a simplistic short first outing.

Kuru Kuru Kururin would have been impossible without save states near the end. Fun game like The Irritating Stick though.

And thank you for the real take on Metroid Fusion and Minish Cap. I see so much love for those two in recent time, it’s like everyone forgot how disappointing they were (similar to Super Mario Sunshine) and is gaslighting anyone who remembers how they were some of the lowest ranking games in their respective series for a long while. Not that they’re bad games per se, just among the lowest tier Metroids and Zeldas.

I have NSO and thinking of playing Zelda The Minish Cap. Is it particularly tough? Truthfully I'm not that good at other genres that have no RPG elements to it. Was just curious

supernova8

Banned
TMNT shredders revenge at the moment. Enjoying it so far.

(I have Starfield installed but I decided not to play it until my wedding is over (in two months) since I have way too much stress from the associated planning right now.)

Good thing about Shredders revenge (so far) is the relatively bite-size nature of the stages, the awesome late 80s/early 90s music and general styling, the fact that it seems to encourage couch co-op (adding someone to your "party" is always on the screen somewhere great to see) andddd... that's about it. I also like the different skin options (old school dark live-action TMNT vs newer brighter cartoon skins).

I have NSO and thinking of playing Zelda The Minish Cap. Is it particularly tough? Truthfully I'm not that good at other genres that have no RPG elements to it. Was just curious

Not difficult, just tedious and a couple annoying parts. And considering this info with a prior comment of yours, skip The Messenger and watch a playthrough instead. That way you don't need to actually play but you'll still get the lore, humor, connection to Sea of Stars, without any frustration.

eNT1TY

PC: Starfield and BG3, about 70% of my playtime is alternating between these two
PS5: Armored Core, game is kicking my ass, don't have a single S rank on the 15 or so sorties i have done so far besides killing the prototype ac mission
XSX: Destiny 2 and Monster Hunter Rise

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
No Man’s Sky on PSVR2. I’m liking it. Play sessions limited to an hour or so due to VR fatigue.
Judgment on PS5. I don’t really play games like this but story is interesting so far.
Mafia definitive edition - because I had an itch. Hate the 30fps on my OLED.

amigastar

No Man’s Sky on PSVR2. I’m liking it. Play sessions limited to an hour or so due to VR fatigue.
Judgment on PS5. I don’t really play games like this but story is interesting so far.
Mafia definitive edition - because I had an itch. Hate the 30fps on my OLED.
Man, Mafia Definitve Edition was so disappointing to me, the shooting just felt off.

Edellus

Horizon Forbidden West.

I had dropped it around 70% of the main quest, due to giving priority to other games (FFXVI, and Stray for leaving PS Plus) and then I just forgot about it. But after like 5 games, I decided to finish it and now I find I like it way more than I did. It was clicking well enough for me before, but now it is clicking hard.

Back then, I was doing a disservice to this game, playing it safe and boring. Using the same weapons and same strategies. Not using potions, no smoke bombs, nothing... Now I'm using everything. Crafting, gathering and hunting are actually part of the fun now. I'm using coils, food, switching valor surges, melee combos... Everything. And the combat is so much more dynamic and fun because of it.

And weapons I thought were subpar are now great. Every weapon is fun and feels great when used in the right moment and in the right way.

Also, I don't think I need to mention this game is gorgeous, but here it goes anyways: It still is the best looking game overall to me. The world, the characters, the machines, everything is a work of art ready for photomode always.

I very much recommend it. I suggest to play it in hard difficulty. You might find it a tad harder than the first game at first, but you'll learn the combat patterns rather quick. You might even want to switch to very hard down the road, like I did. Also take your time, enjoy the sights, and don't play to clear the map, but for fun.

Last edited:

Skeptical

I think it was more on the easy side, although please keep in mind I've played LTTP like 50 times or so... Combat is mostly easy until maybe the last dungeon. On the flip side, heart containers are more scarce unless you go out looking for them (I ended with 14 total, compared to typically 17-20 in other Zelda games), and heart drops are also rare. On the flip flip side, items in pots regenerate if you leave the screen and come back, so when you do find hearts under pots you can easily get back to full health. With respect to puzzles, they are more complex than stepping on switches or lighting torches, but as long as you experiment with how your new weapons work you should be good.

RSLAEV

Just finished Inherit the Earth. I don't know how anyone could have finished this game without a full walkthrough back in the day

Next up, Super Mario Odyssey.

Decided to mix it up and play some Enter the Gungeon today. Didn’t expect to spend as long as I did, a few hours and finally got to the floor 4 boss. Tougher than I expected but a lot of fun. Not something in seriously into as it’s more roguelike than roguelite.

sedg87

Marvel's Midnight Suns
I just recruited Wolverine. I've been using Hunter, Blade, and Cap, but I'm a little tempted to switch out Cap for Wolverine now.

I was gonna start Silent Hill 3 after 2 finishing 2, however, I decided to pick up a few horror games. Bought the Dead Space remake; I absolutely loved Dead Space and can't wait to play this. Haven't watched any reviews or anything so I'm not sure how much or what has been changed. I also bought The Medium. Heard mixed things but I watched the Skillup review and thought I'd give it a go. Think I'll start one of 'em when it gets dark later. Headphones on. Excellent.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's a slog at times. I certainly do not think it deserves the praise everyone has been giving it. It ain't bad either since I do continue playing it, though I believe games like OOT and Mario 64 both aged way better.
I can understand that.

Growing up, I missed out on most of the high-profile games that are now considered classics -- especially by Nintendo as I didn't have a Nintendo console when I was a kid. Now, as I don't have nostalgia for them, I can't play those games and found them very mediocre at best, partly because of their age.

I wish that wasn't the case because I want to feel the excitement that others feel about these games, but I just can't enjoy them as much.

BouncyFrag

I grabbed No Man’s Sky on sale recently and it looked like ass. Then the big Echoes update dropped and it looks great!

Now I’m bouncing between NMS and Starfield.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Dropped Starfield for now. Plan to pick up again once more mods are out.

Recently finished Miles Morales and playing a mix of Sniper Elite 5 invasions and co-op with friends.

Also started playing AC: Rogue Remastered on my Series X. Played it back on PS3 originally.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Finished both Sea of Stars and Chorus today. I'm not sure if I have it in me to go after the true ending of Sea of Stars. Might just end up watching a YouTube video.

Not sure about my next game. Suggestions would be appreciated:
  • Ghostrunner
  • Judgment
  • Titanfall 2 campaign (replay)
  • Mass Effect 1 (dropped in the first 2 hours the first 2 times I tried it)
  • The Witcher 3 (replay) - but it's a big game, and I want my schedule clear when Spider-Man 2 drops.

Metal gear rising

Wrapped up Megaman 11. Moving onto and picking up from where I left off in Metal gear rising (only finished the prologue so far).

devilNprada

Finished up season 1 Diablo IV (likely will never play again)
Past two weeks have been loving BG3.. I will put a lot of time into this one...
Future plans.. Will try Gloomhaven on the console when it launches then Starfield..

Edit: If I don't finish up BG3 and Gloomhaven anytime soon it will likely be AC Mirage then Starfield....

Last edited:

Duchess

Finally finished The Witcher 3. Enjoyed it more than I did on PS4. Although:

I got the bad ending, where Ciri apparently dies. What was really weird was that the endings hinged on dialog choices?!! I did all of Ciri's optional quests, having the option to skip them entirely, and I get the shit ending, because I picked the wrong thing to say in the main quest line??? WTF?!

Back to No Man's Sky for a bit, and I'm being torn each and every way by all the quests I need to do. The new Echos update is going to take me a while to get around to.

MangalaX

Neo Member
Recently finished Plague Tale requiem, totally recommended
Right now I'm switching back and forth Starfield, BG3, FF16 and sometimes TOTK, this has been an amazing year for gamers, but real gamers people that enjoy games for what they are not for what they're missing!

Top Bottom