• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

AndrewRyan

Evil West: I’m middle of the road on this. It does feel straight out of the 360 generation, with its simple linear design. Maybe it’s just the camera being pulled so far in like God of War that brings it down a little for me. Feels like enemies cheap shot you because of the limited visibility.
Playing Evil West too and it is really hard cause of the off-screen enemies but still really enjoying it. Sound plays a key role in keeping track of them. My skills have a lot of room for improvement so hoping I'll get better but combat is pretty special though when it clicks.

Finished Darksiders Genesis after a taking long break half way though and loved it. The banter between the brothers is wonderful and gameplay fantastic for a dual-stick shooter. It got mid reviews but seeing the low the completion rate, 47% for the first achievement and only 29% for the second, it seems people didn't like the perspective change. Too bad cause it's better than meets the eye.

Steam is having a huge SHMUP Fest sale and my wishlist is on fire! Two of them I'm really looking forward to: Deadlink and Turbo Overkill.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Was in middle of GOW 2018 on ps4 but didnt love the first act, so my attention got diverted as soon as i bought PC Games Pass.

Now just trying a bunch and steadily progressing through starfield. Its nothing amazing, but its scratching a certain itch.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Lies of P on Game Pass. Seems really solid so far (3 bosses in).

My co-op buddy and I started a run of Dark Souls 2 and we are having a good time beyond the inconsistences of being able to summon one another which I believe is tied to Soul Level.

Reactions: Isa
Still playing The Quarry before it leaves PS+, really great so far (chapter 7). After I was disappointed in Man of Medan, this one really stepped it up with the production values and all the voice acting. It's been a fun game to play through a little bit every night.

Gandih42

Tears of the Kingdom: Finally pushed through the countless distractions and got all 4 sages, the Master Sword, and went to Hyrule Castle. What a game. Even though the story beats are oceans apart, I'm 100% in when they drop. Although guess I'm responsible for them being so far apart.

FF16: Blasting through side quests to get to the main story missions on NG+, about to go to Kanver. Still an awesome game on second playthrough, though I think they could've avoided a lot of the criticisms with a better tuned Normal difficulty. I hit gameover somewhat frequently because I fuss over not using Potions, which makes it quite essential to be more thoughtful with comboing and defensive manouvres. Makes combat much better.

Last edited:

Thief1987

Dived deep in my backlog and found Darksiders 3 there. Started it right away on the Apocalypse difficulty. So far it's pretty manageable and game itself is quite good. Shame that bad technical state souring experience.

Last edited:
Just an update on Metal gear rising. Finished it on very hard mode to unlock "revengeance" mode. The final battle was significantly far more demanding than on any of the modes below it.

Began a brand new playthrough on "revengeance" mode straight after. Its relatively less "hard" than "very hard". Turns out perfect parries return almost OHKs on enemies. Dwarf gekkos are giga trolls on "very hard" and up.

Last edited:
still chomping through elden ring.

just beat general radahn (festival of radahn, beach battle, red sky, tons of summons).
memorable, but didnt really enjoy the battle. kept getting him to ~10% of his life and then he'd kill me.
took me like 10 tries.
summons kept him busy and i just spammed him with magic and the occasional great sword charge attack.
that one attack where he'd disappear for ~15 seconds then come crashing down like a friggin meteor was awesome though.

but found a dungeon in the corner of the beach where the enemies are strong, fight each other, and endlessly respawn... the war dead catacombs, i think... oooo it's a doozy. really challenging and fun.
but man all these dungeons look the same.

GeekyDad

Started up Deathsmiles again on my iPhone. Looks like it's gotten a few updates since I last played, including a story mode with dialogue and such. I'll be honest and say I didn't really read much of it before hitting the skip button to play. Ahh...so much fun. DoDonPachi Res is still my all-time favorite, but they're all good. And I dig the way you can reverse directions and enemies come from behind. Very good execution of a sidescrolling shooter. Fun as a heck to look at.

I've tried to repurchase to DoDon Res a few times over the years for iPhone, but it seems the app store doesn't carry it anymore. I have it on an old iPhone, but I don't really wanna be diggin' that thing out. Wish they would throw it back on there.

Last edited:
Started up Deathsmiles again on my iPhone. Looks like it's gotten a few updates since I last played, including a story mode with dialogue and such. I'll be honest and say I didn't really read much of it before hitting the skip button to play. Ahh...so much fun. DoDonPachi Res is still my all-time favorite, but they're all good. And I dig the way you can reverse directions and enemies come from behind. Very good execution of a sidescrolling shooter. Fun as a heck to look at.

I've tried to repurchase to DoDon Res a few times over the years for iPhone, but it seems the app store doesn't carry it anymore. I have it on an old iPhone, but I don't really wanna be diggin' that thing out. Wish they would throw it back on there.

M2 Shot Triggers releases of the holy grail bullet hell, Dodonpachi DOJ, comes to Switch and ps4 in December

• Thoughtful
Still playing a little of Wayfinder on PS5.
Also picked up Sunday Gold on Steam while it was discounted. Not bad.
Really need to get back to AC VI and Blasphemous 2. And BG3 whenever the stars align and the missus and I are both available. We are playing entirely in co-op.

PC:

Resident Evil 4 remake, picked it up on a keysite for £22. After that, I am going to play through Cyberpunk2077 2.0. I also recently won a key of Baldurs Gate 3.

foamdino

PS5:
* Lost Judgement
* Star Ocean: The Divine Force (loving how fluid this is, took a while for the controls to stick with my aged brain though)
* Sea of Stars (although after a few hours I'm still not really digging it apart from the art style - but then I didn't play the SNES jrpgs so I don't have the nostalgia glasses on)

PC:
* Starfield - although I'm struggling to push through given how limited the build variety is, bad writing, terrible UI, loading screens etc
* Cyberpunk - restarted with full path-tracing at 60fps - loving this now (although not sure about the level scaling choice)
* BG3 - taking this slow and enjoying it, don't want to rush my GOTY

Played The Messenger for the second time in two years, I love this game. This playthrough was even better than the first! I managed to platinum it too, super satisfying and actually realistic to achieve.

Still going on The Quarry but expect to finish this weekend. I’ll be in between games again but I am probably going to play Demons Souls to get back into the spooky mood. Maybe a Claire run of RE2R to follow up last year’s Leon run.

Got a cold and because of that some days of "free" time (yay german health system), so i restarted to deeply mod Skyrim and play the find-the-bug/incompatibility-game :D

Last edited:

engstra

Finished the Medium last night. I enjoyed it for what it is (a ~7/10 type of game). It does some interesting stuff and can at times be really atmospheric but then at the same time the narrative did not pay off and quite a few chase sequences where it can be very unclear what you're supposed to do that turns the game into trial and error, which detracts from the horror aspects.
It'll be interesting to see what Bloober does with Silent Hill 2 because they do some interesting things. If they don't have to write an original story maybe they could pull something good off.

Next up the Quarry before it goes off PS+.

StueyDuck

Jumped back to sea of stars. And after all the AAA bloat... this game is hooking me way more than it did originally.

Also VR everything, it's the only stuff that feels new anymore in gaming

Finished BoTW last night. Despite my previous praise of it, I sort of got tired of it by the end.

It's a beautiful world, the tools they give you are fun but it all feels a bit empty and lifeless after a while. It's pretty much killed my interest in ToTK. Not a bad game but I probably made a mistake playing it right after Elden Ring.

Played a few hours of Lies of P and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. It's an extremely linear take on Soulsbourne but it still plays very nicely and does enough of it's own thing to keep things interesting.

killatopak

Gold Member
Just finished my S+ professional run on RE4 Remake Separate Ways a couple of hours ago.

Might actually go for S+ professional on the main campaign now since I’m itching for more. I rage quitted it earlier in the year because of the shooting gallery. That and the Prof S+ was the only thing I was missing. I might still skip out on the shooting gallery if I get frustrated.

Main thing that motivated me for the DLC was actually how easy it was to replay. It’s definitely a lot bearable to practice and cut down time to under two hours and a half as opposed to five and a half of the main campaign. It’s been a while though so I have to relearn and memorize enemy, item and request placements.

-Zelda-

Banned
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen on a PS5. New game. If anyone wants to use my crap Mage Pawn and is on that console, My PSN is SaintBoot7B7

Skeptical

Sunblaze - A cool little hybrid of a puzzle platformer and a precision platformer. The gimmick is that very little is static but ends up being manipulated by your movements. Thwomp like enemies will try to crush you, so you have to bait them and then jump on top of them. Or platforms fall when you touch them, so you need to figure out what order to jump on to correctly progress. Or the exit is covered by a glass door, so you need to manipulate something into destroying it. Other than annoyances regarding the precision of grabbing a ledge vs climbing it or falling off, I had a lot of fun. Dying every 10 seconds on average did nothing to deter me.

Record of Lodoss War Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth - I think I liked Touhou Luna Nights more. I mean, this is fine, and the Fire/Wind gimmick and recovering health automatically under certain conditions gimmick were certainly neat, but Touhou's graze mechanic was neater. And Touhou's knife approach for combat was also better. Deedlit relied too much on avoiding bosses and spamming magic. Again, it was still a good game. Just not as much as I had hoped.

F-Zero 99 - Great idea. On the main mode, I'm almost always in the Top 30, and usually in the Top 20. Yet I never placed higher than 3rd. Guess I'm merely above average. Oh well.

Humdinger

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood on the Xbox 360. Just finished. I enjoyed it. It's an old 7th gen western. There's no fussing around with long tutorial introductions; it throws you right into the action and doesn't let up for 15 hours. Shooting is fun, level design is good. There is a good though unbelievable story, which is mainly there to set up the action. Cutscenes are brief and to the point, not these drawn-out movies we have now. The game glitched on me once, causing me to restart a chapter, but otherwise it was very satisfying.

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood on the Xbox 360. Just finished. I enjoyed it. It's an old 7th gen western. There's no fussing around with long tutorial introductions; it throws you right into the action and doesn't let up for 15 hours. Shooting is fun, level design is good. There is a good though unbelievable story, which is mainly there to set up the action. Cutscenes are brief and to the point, not these drawn-out movies we have now. The game glitched on me once, causing me to restart a chapter, but otherwise it was very satisfying.
Nice, great game. Its legit underrated and almost entirely flew under the radar during the 7th gen imo.

Chastten

Banned
Just played and finished Vampire Survivors, Disney Illusion Island, Atelier Marie Remake and Little Noah: Scion of Paradise this last week. All very short games except for the first one.

Started on Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE last night. Actually played this on Wii U long ago but never finished it, so lets see if I can rectify that this time around!

Doing some daily stuff in OW2 and recently started Ghostwire Tokyo which has been surprisingly fast. Hell even agreeing with faults listed with the game it's still a blast running around the city hand-magicking things to death (back to death? unvisiting vistitors?) PS5 haptics make it that much more of a treat.

LostDonkey

I'm trying to get my head round the outposts in Starfield. I enjoy building ships and want to get into building a good resource site that can basically run itself.

I've started a couple of projects but keep running out of resources.

Seperate Ways in RE4. Sheit, that DLC is rad, can’t believe it. Capcom keeps firing from all cylinders.

Please, please, please let the same team to RE Remake or RE5 Remake. Especially the latter. I can see these guys turning this turd of a game into gold.

Roberts

I needed a break from Starfield…

Cocoon - pretty chill puzzle exploration game. Might seem like a downgrade after Inside but it’s a different game. Super polished and well made for what it is.

Chained Echoes - have a love/hate relationship with it. I will give it a few hours more and see if it finally clicks for me completely.

Kaze and the Wild Masks - playing it with my daughter. It’s a cool platformer, a bit too hard for her so I’m helping out. Controls could be a bit more precise but we are enjoying it.

Grounded - me and my friend finally got to the last boss. Tried twice but failed. I think we will just craft some smoothies and upgrade our weapons and armor and try again. This has been a wild ride that lasted more than a year. Still think it is one of the best games ever.

Last edited:

xVodevil

Haha what a fun topic this year :D
Baldur's Gate 3 but then came Starfield and then Mortal Kombat 1 launches recently.. 1 week later Resident Evil 4 DLC for Ada.. now back to Starfield however Forza coming up.. so had to prepare with some Project Cars 2... and then Diablo 4 season 2 coming soon after season 1 ending on October 17... WTF :D
At least nothing coming up past Forza for me this year :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Upgraded my PC by early June, didn't even realize it was gonna be such a good decision..

Last edited:

Jedi0608

Lies of P. Halfway through ng+. Clearing Manus prior to the patch was my goal and then to put it away. Now I’m going for 100% achievements. With all the dope games that’s been out this year thus far, this one might be my goty. Incredible experience that really scratches that souls like itch.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Chained Echoes - have a love/hate relationship with it. I will give it a few hours more and see if it finally clicks for me completely.

This game is way overrated. I didn't hate the game, but I didn't like it either. It just felt too much like the guy who made it has a high opinion of himself. It's a mid game at most

MagnesD3

About finished with Onimusha 2 and Evil Within. Touched a bit of Rhythm Heaven Fever on wii also, man is that game pretty difficult. Probably gonna start up Immortal soon as well. Im trying to beat several shorter games before I go back to finish Dragon Age Origins in which I probably still have 100 hours in front of me :$

Isa

AC Mirage and Forza Motorsport ahead of their respective releases.
How's Forza? Fun at least? Do you like the main career mode? Are you able to check out different version or just the PC? I'll be going Series X so just curious how it performs and looks.

I've started up Fate/Samurai Remnant and its been great so far. A bit different from other Musou titles in how it plays and has a nice story focus. Its also quite nice visually with neat little touches like the 2D art animating at times which is cool, not as strong as say normal live 2D which I find to be too stretched out sometimes. It won't be a graphical powerhouse for those who expect or prefer ultra-realistic style and high-poly models but it is very good for what it is. And on PS5 the framerate is buttery smooth which is strongly juxtaposed to the Zelda spinoff. KT is really improving on the licensed title front. The story has also hooked me too. Music is also quite nice but I expect that from them.

Edit: Oh yeah forgot I'm going through Control on SX in prep for Alan Wake II which I'm really excited for. I loved my time with Alan Wake(remake) earlier this year and also got the 360 original before then thanks to backcompat. I definitely prefer Remedy's darker themed games. Sadly I bounced off of Quantum Break as it just didn't do it for me, whereas the subject matter and art style has me glued and reading every redacted document I can find lol.

Last edited:
How's Forza? Fun at least? Do you like the main career mode? Are you able to check out different version or just the PC? I'll be going Series X so just curious how it performs and looks.

I've started up Fate/Samurai Remnant and its been great so far. A bit different from other Musou titles in how it plays and has a nice story focus. Its also quite nice visually with neat little touches like the 2D art animating at times which is cool, not as strong as say normal live 2D which I find to be too stretched out sometimes. It won't be a graphical powerhouse for those who expect or prefer ultra-realistic style and high-poly models but it is very good for what it is. And on PS5 the framerate is buttery smooth which is strongly juxtaposed to the Zelda spinoff. KT is really improving on the licensed title front. The story has also hooked me too. Music is also quite nice but I expect that from them.
Cant speak about it until the 4th. Sorry, I am only allowed to say that I am in possession and playing it.

Top Bottom