• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Soodanim

Team Skeleton for life - chosen by my 4 year old :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I’ve just picked it up as well for £20, fun chilled game. The interplanetary travel is what I’ve been missing, reminds me of my dreams for Star Wars Battlefront 3.
If you're on PC and getting a second of lag/loading when you leave/enter a planet, there's a file you can unpack so that it doesn't have to decompress, making it completely seamless

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Slender The Arrival. I think I played the original on PC. Bought this with a discount on Xbox. The mood is there but this is one of the ugliest UE5 games yet.

Super Mario Wonder. Played the whole first stage.

I got two shots a couple days and am just draggin' man. This weekend was supposed to be all Mario and Hot Wheels

Just started Tales of Graces F... using a modified PS3 iso (with the Japanese dub), on rpcs3, playing with a Switch Controller Pro, through a wrapper so it's seen as an Xinput controller by Windows.

So far I enjoy it, kid Hubert is cute, Sophie the Mysterious Waif is super fun to play (her being twice the level of Asbel and Hubert when she joins certainly helps) and I'm sure she'll end up being one of my favs in the series, like Farah or Hermana before her. Combat is starting really strong, hopefully it'll stay that way (and get even better). Still, you can feel it is originally a Wii game, just upscaled for the PS3 remake; the environments are pretty empty, especially compared to Vesperia with its lush forests and beautiful cities right off the start.
The last two Tales games I played were Symphonia and Vesperia, who are both notoriously full of very time-sensitive events and super easy to miss stuff, so I hope this one is better in that regard...

Super Mario Wonder. Played the whole first stage.

I got two shots a couple days and am just draggin' man. This weekend was supposed to be all Mario and Hot Wheels

The double booster messes you up. I am sticking with the separate ones. Waiting so my immunity doesn't wane prior to the holidays, but also until after I'm done with Bloodborne.

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

sedg87

Grand Theft Auto 5
I completed the bus assassination with Franklin and now I'm investing some money to buy properties and perhaps a new car for each character.

What remains of Edith Finch
Played this at release and loved it, but couldn't remember much of the story, so decided to play through it once more. I've only experienced Molly and Calvin's stories so far but have been reminded why I enjoyed it so much.

Edit: Played Barbara's story and I completely forgot they used the Halloween movie theme. So good.

Once I've completed Edith Finch I think I'll go back to Mass Effect. Also installed Alien Isolation which I'll be playing over Halloween. Had it since release but never went beyond a few hours.

Last edited:
is this some new feature not present in the original?
Blizzard has implemented harder versions of pre-existing dungeons. The dungeons reward epic loot from 10 man raids. It's basically a catch-up mode for people to gear up for raiding and to add more challenges. I've found them to be a fun way to still play even though I don't have time to commit to raiding. Look up titan rune dungeons (these are a step up from heroic versions - the difficulties include alpha, beta, and gamma).

Alpha Male

I'm taking a hiatus from Baldur's Gate for a bit now that I've finished Act 2

Series X
Starfield
Forza Motorsport
Battlefield 2042
Halo Infinite multiplayer

PS5
Spiderman 2
Elden Ring
Age of Wonders 4

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
What remains of Edith Finch
Played this at release and loved it, but couldn't remember much of the story, so decided to play through it once more. I've only experienced Molly and Calvin's stories so far but have been reminded why I enjoyed it so much.

Edit: Played Barbara's story and I completely forgot they used the Halloween movie theme. So good.

Once I've completed Edith Finch I think I'll go back to Mass Effect. Also installed Alien Isolation which I'll be playing over Halloween. Had it since release but never went beyond a few hours.

This game is so GOOD. One of the few Walking Sims I actually loved

Paltheos

Final Fantasy VI PR. Finished this.

World of Ruin questing is still fun. I think the only point that's a bother that most people are liable to do is hunting down Deathgaze. 1 in 4096 squares is kinda BS, and of course he can run (he has a 2/3 chance of fleeing on his third turn).
I cheated and gave myself Odin after changing the original to Raiden because Odin's the only magicite with a good +speed level up bonus, and even a modest number of boosts is very noticeable when put side-to-side with Gogo. Picked the Ragnarok magicite over the sword for the 'chievo and because I didn't want to wait to uncurse the Cursed Shield (which I also did) for Ultima - Ended up morphing a few Safety Bits and other uniques/rares along the way.

In keeping with the spirit of this run, the bulk of my WoR playtime was spent on the Veldt (15 hours, I think). I wanted to hunt down all the Rages. I made a spreadsheet and went ham while maxing out my characters' spell lists (while avoiding level them thanks to the Veldt not granting any EXP). After a while, I set my cutoff point at 'when every character's learned every spell'. This was the final result:

1PcZAu8.png

Cruller and Tumbleweed I don't remember ever fighting but I'd apparently killed 1 and 8 of them respectively (and the latter appears in only one formation) so my odds were never that great. Dragon appears in only one formation too but I at least remember fighting a few of them on the Floating Continent (I got the rare Genji Gloves steal!). Ninja I might have screwed myself out of as I only fought the trap version in Sealed Cave and not the standard version on Floating Continent. Whole thing was kinda poisoned from the start since I edited my file to give myself Chaser after I noticed several hours later I'd missed getting his encounter in the 1 minute you're fleeing Vector from Magitek after getting out of the train cart (that's such a narrow window). Anyway, I was getting closer to finishing, usually encountering missing enemies in sets one-after-the-other so maybe I'd have finished if I stuck it out but I'd had enough.

WoR Rages are kinda underwhelming for the most part. WoR Gau is underhwelming (Square removed his ability to equip the Merit Award - wtf?). There was one Rage that kinda made it all worth it. Rafflesia's skill is Entice, a charm that's not blocked by typical enemy immunities and can't afaik be removed by anything other than death. Not quite as busted as FF5's mix berserk potions that bypass enemy berserk immunity (since Gau can still not use Entice or could miss), but seeing Kefka turn around and smack himself repeatedly with Havoc Wing was pretty goofy (damn, I should have taken a screenshot).

Overall, fun time. I like that Square actually spent the money to remake battle animations for this game instead of recycling the same effects from FF1-5 PR, although some of the cut corners are a little awkward (like changing the Lore and Rage cast effect to the white magic cast effect while Bushido and Blitz still get the preemo treatment... Trance and Runic too I think, and who uses Runic? outside of like two fights).

Remastered OST I feel mixed on, skewing negative. Uematsu's score is pretty iconic and makes effective use of the SNES soundchip, moreso than his previous scores imo. That combined with the hard push towards orchestral gives the game's sound richer but narrower channels to work through (as is often the case with 'orchestrized' remastered scores - they did use a guitar in a few places though!). Beyond that, a few of the arrangements are misfires. Terra's Theme takes the heavy, funky percussion of the original and shoves it quietly in the background, and it kills the track's punch. Cyan's Theme embellishes too much, particularly with its woodwinds and misses the point of the original (the sharp woodwinds at the start that break into fanciful strings tell the story of Cyan - a tough, traditional man who is, without a doubt, just under the surface, also a true romantic). The best winner of the OST is Searching for Friends - It's a fantastic rendition that builds on and shuffles the instrumentation as it progresses to a glorious climax and adds a quiet bridge near the end to cleanly loop the song again.

sedg87

The Outer Worlds
Really enjoying this so far. Not sure why I didn't complete it at launch. Re-directed power to Edgewater and told the fella running it fook right off. Go on, lad, get yer bags and get gone. Also recruited the vicar and felix to my party.

Mass Effect
Been doing some of the side missions. Destroyed geth outposts and some other things. Not sure if I should skip the side content and just go for the main story.

Demon's Souls

Just been farming some souls. Think I'm gonna head to Latria and rescue that fella who sells spells.

Dazraell

I just started Alan Wake Remastered on PS5 and Pentiment on Steam Deck

It's fascinating to go into Alan Wake after just finishing Max Payne 1 and Max Payne 2 and noticing how different these two franchises feel. I finished first episode and just reached the night part of the second episode

Pentiment feels like a true passion project. They really nailed the aesthetics and story seems really intriguing so far. I also appreciate the glossary you can check whenever words are highlighted and their educational value

Skeptical

who uses Runic? outside of like two fights
Hey now, don't be disrespecting Celes like that. It's three fights! On a more serious note, that's a disappointing note that the new music skewed negative. I'll eventually play and judge it myself, but this is the biggest worry for me. This is my favorite videogame score, hands down. Updating it is such a huge risk and I almost dread listening to it. Oh well. There's always the original. Not to mention hundreds of variants on Youtube that I can pick and choose.

Some games I played over the past month with random thoughts associated with them

Tunic - My eternal, boundless love for the original Legend of Zelda vs my eternal, boundless hate for isometric camera. The former mostly won, thankfully. Combat was frustrating a lot of the times, and I really hate the "behind the black" secrets where you can't see the path thanks to the isometric camera even though it should be obvious to the character. But I liked the general exploration, the instruction manual approach was brilliant, and the lack of communication was mostly awesome. Some game design decisions were frustrating though (no explanation for items that are limited in use and rare?), and the final puzzle was way too complex for me to want to put in the work for it. But otherwise, not bad!

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror - Repeating an endless loop aiming to have the one copy ability you need to move forward in the one spot it is needed isn't fun. I dropped this quickly. I think a Kirby Metroidvania could work, but needs a better design.

Wario Ware: Mega Microgames - Cute idea implemented well. I know it's meant to be endlessly replayable but it's not worth the time to me, so simply playing through the story mode gimps the experience a bit since you can anticipate better which microgames will come up. Still, pretty neato.

Tomb Raider Anniversary - This is why I generally tend to stick with Nintendo/Japanese games. I SHOULD like this game, the general idea is appealing. But gameplay execution is so unbelievably sloppy. The big dramatic early boss was a joke, getting stuck multiple times and walking in place. A puzzle that seemed obvious, but then I kept looking for an alternate solution because the correct solution wouldn't register. And then a stone that needed to fall in a certain direction fell in a different direction and made it impossible to continue. Forget it, I'm not dealing with this.

Fire Emblem [The Blazing Blade] - A rather standard Fire Emblem game so far, but it's alright. It is the earliest FE game I've played, so I should expect it. So far (maybe 50% through?), it's been relatively easy, albeit with a few scares when I got careless. But I've decided on my team and now get to watch as they all grow into unstoppable beasts. Except Eliwood for some reason. Path of Radiance with Ike the one-man army was my first game in the series, so it is just weird seeing an oddly mediocre main character.

Bought a new controller so I can guide my dad on his PS5. Still teaching him the ropes of 3D games in general, camera movement, and character movement. Played some Gran Turismo 7 and I'm looking into platformers that are more on the easy side like Astro's Playroom and Little Big Planet 3 (I hate it but it is perfect for his adaptation phase). He wants to play more actiony games, so I'll probably fire up the Uncharted games because he likes Indiana Jones and I can put on the easiest difficulty for now.

It'll be an interesting journey to say the least.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
Playing currently:
FF4 Pixel Remaster via Steam
--never played this in full before. Always stopped and got distracted by other stuff. Hope that doesn't happen this time

Super Mario Wonder
--I am really enjoying this. The character handling is perfect in this! This is good for playing a few levels then hoping off to something else.

Once FF4 is done, I'm checking out Immortals of Aveum. Just got on sale and hear it's actually a solid game. Honestly the only news I've heard about this was about the terrible sales and studio layoffs.

Alan Wake 2

First 2 hours or so. LOVING IT. I remember following all the news leading up to AW1. Sheit man, this feels like the game Remedy wanted to make already 13 years ago.

Corian33

Finally completed my BG3 campaign last night. 80 hours to do one pass through the game and that’s with leaving a lot of side quests on the table. It’s crazy how you could obviously play out the story in very different ways, would be spoilers to even mention. Obviously, going evil would flip a lot of the situations, but there are other choices as well.

Right now though I gotta decide on my next game. Feeling like some kind of strategy or wargame. WARNO rolling out great updates lately.

JohnnyPhats

Not much lately. Played some of the UFC 5 trial and it’s really good. Thinking about picking up Mario Wonder today physically and snagging my son’s oled switch to play it on.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Anyone here played the SMT Nocturne HD remaster ?

What exactly has it updated, I know there's a new difficulty but anything else?

Nydius

I am currently trying to play through Spider-Man 2 and Super Mario Wonder, plus have Forza Motorsport and Immortals of Aveum already sitting in my backlog. The emphasis is on trying because every time I want to sit down and game our kitten goes batshit crazy. I get maybe 10 minutes of play time before I have to go find out what new thing he's trying to destroy and spend another hour playing with him to tire him out.

At this rate, I probably won't be actually getting through any of the games on my backlog (or the ones I have coming in the next two months) until sometime next year.

Fire Emblem [The Blazing Blade] - A rather standard Fire Emblem game so far, but it's alright. It is the earliest FE game I've played, so I should expect it. So far (maybe 50% through?), it's been relatively easy, albeit with a few scares when I got careless. But I've decided on my team and now get to watch as they all grow into unstoppable beasts. Except Eliwood for some reason. Path of Radiance with Ike the one-man army was my first game in the series, so it is just weird seeing an oddly mediocre main character.

Eliwood is trash, especially unpromoted. But FE7 gives you GOAT lord Hector so it's all good. This was my first FE game so it was pretty jarring going to the other ones and your lords being unstoppable pretty much from the get-go.

MagnesD3

Monster Train, its dangerously addictive just like slay the spire, it wont let me go until I beat all clan combinations and beat covenant 25 with one of them.

Since Spider Man turned out to be a woke SM1 DLC and I'm not supporting digital only releases like Alan Wake 2 either => Luigi's Mansion 3

Last edited:

Fabieter

It's one hell of a good year and I like to support everything possible even if I can't play some of them right away.

Well I still didn't finish lords of the fallen and spiderman because it went to mgs and in one week is star ocean and in 3 weeks is like a dragon like wtf.

Is this true, the woke shit?

Because then i have one less game to buy.

The fact the poster called it dlc alone is pretty disrespect to the work they done. Iam like 70% in and I dont know what's super woke about it.

Last edited:

There was a thread about this here on the boards and if you go via Google you'll find a lot of examples fast. It's not "pride flag swinging in the wind behind you at all times"-woke, but there is a lot of it shoehorned in, from the love interests to the sidequests to the localisation. Glad I just tagged along for a few hours at a friend's house because I'm not giving Devs like these a penny if I can avoid it.

That dude didn’t even play the game.

I have, and have no idea what he or any of the twitter regurgitation crew are talking about. The most “offensive” thing I saw was helping a gay dude ask someone to prom.

That said, if you are desperate for one less game to buy, then I’m sure you have something else in mind. Immortals of Aveum! (I keep hyping this game)

Darkkahn

Dragon Quest Builders 1 on PS+, I adore this game. Will start 2 soon after I get the plat in the first one.
Also Dandara, a neat 2D challenging platformer. It's leaving Extra this month so I decided to give it a try.

Nydius

The fact the poster called it dlc alone is pretty disrespect to the work they done.

Except it’s not a lie. Here I am doing the exact same neighborhood crimes that I did in the last two games. Hunter blinds are just Fisk strongholds with a grittier backdrop. Same braindead gathering fluff.

A LOT of the elements in this game are straight copy pasted from the first and the new stuff isn’t really much more than the differences between SM and SM Miles Morales.

Fabieter

Except it’s not a lie. Here I am doing the exact same neighborhood crimes that I did in the last two games. Hunter blinds are just Fisk strongholds with a grittier backdrop. Same braindead gathering fluff.

A LOT of the elements in this game are straight copy pasted from the first and the new stuff isn’t really much more than the differences between SM and SM Miles Morales.

You can tell that shit about most sequels. And some times even for New ips with the same old shit. Its definitely not dlc.

Last edited:

Fess

Playing some occasional Mario Wonder with the kids. It’s fun.

And for two months now I’ve been addicted to Starfield, currently doing some proper base building after getting cargo links working. Not quite the No Man’s Sky RPG I hoped for but it’s my most played game of the year so I think I’ve accepted most disappointments now. Modders are finally starting to do God’s work too by tweaking that historically bland design clearly made by suits afraid of Twitter noise. The world is slowly getting populated with some mild eye candy, I think I could even accept to have Sarah around now.

Top Bottom