• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

I wrapped up Dark Souls 2 tonight with my co-op partner. It was my first playthrough of the SOTFC and I never got around to the DLC on my first playthrough on PS3. My first trophy was from 4/11/15 and wrapping it on 11/3/23 has to be a record for me as far as time between start and finish dates. As far as the game is concerned, I was having a really good time the first few hours but I quickly was reminded of what I hated about the game so much (weapon durability, mobs of enemies, weapon durability, mostly boring boss battles, weapon durability, annoying level gimmicks, weapon durability, i-frames being tied to ADP, weapon durability, how difficult it is hit crystal lizards with certain weapons, and did I mention weapon durability?). What struck me most is how much of the game I'd forgotten. I kept asking my buddy who also hadn't played the game since its' initial release, "do you remember this part?". A lot of what it does wrong could be forgivable but I think the biggest sin is the level design and how confusing it can be as well as the amount of dead ends. It really lacks as sense of place. I used to say that even a bad FromSoft Souls game is good but I'm going to have to amend that.

I've also been playing Super Mario Wonder and just got to W6. It's easily my favorite modern 2D Mario game and the Wonder Seed level gimmicks let Nintendo flex their creativity muscles and add a bunch of variety along the way.
I think it shines when you know what you are doing. If you play it like a normie souls title you are going to have a bad time as it has more RPG elements and dead ends with neat loot. Managing durability and exploring is painful the first time through. On repeat playthroughs the game makes you feel like Sonic and playing with a different build with equal viability gives the game more replay value than other games in the franchise. Also, NG+ and bonfire ascetics are a major game changer for some of the leveling and unlockables as are the health and magic regen items.

P.S. There is a lot of content so there is quite a bit of lower quality levels and bosses in there, but this game also has some of the best in the franchise. The only true design sins of this game are stamina regen, hitting gravel sound, and total whiteout in Frigid Outskirts.

P.S.S. For a better solo experience I recommend Seeker of Fire mod.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Beaten Hotline Miami 1 and 2. Always liked the first but never finished it. Bought the collection a while back but started over with the new releases. While 2 is better in almost everyway I enjoyed the original more. 2 drags on a bit too much.

Humdinger

Brute Force. :messenger_grinning_smiling: I'm on a bit of a retro gaming kick at the moment.

It's dumb, simple fun. It's all the things you would expect from a 20-year old game: corny characters, dopey dialog, brief cutscenes to set up the action, simple objectives. Shoot and grenade your way through a half hour level, then set it aside.

I remember that, when I first played it 20 years ago, I tired of it about 2/3 of the way through, so that may happen again. But so far, I'm enjoying the simple, dumb fun it offers.

EVse6dlXgAEbeYc.jpg

lol. Brute Force didn't exactly turn out to be the next Halo -- it was kind of a flop -- but at least women were allowed to be attractive back then.

Last edited:

Ryuji Goda

Finished the Modern Warfare III campaign. Really liked it. It ends quite abrubtly but still great. I’d give it a 7/10.

Now back to Alan Wake 2

Last edited:

HercRaato

Finally got the JRPG itch back.

I loved the trails of cold steel series so I decided the crossbell arc needed to be explored. Trails of Zero may be 2.5d buts all I need. I am only in the prologue, but I don't need big budgets give me good story arcs and I'm happy.

I wrapped up Dark Souls 2 tonight with my co-op partner. It was my first playthrough of the SOTFC and I never got around to the DLC on my first playthrough on PS3. My first trophy was from 4/11/15 and wrapping it on 11/3/23 has to be a record for me as far as time between start and finish dates. As far as the game is concerned, I was having a really good time the first few hours but I quickly was reminded of what I hated about the game so much (weapon durability, mobs of enemies, weapon durability, mostly boring boss battles, weapon durability, annoying level gimmicks, weapon durability, i-frames being tied to ADP, weapon durability, how difficult it is hit crystal lizards with certain weapons, and did I mention weapon durability?). What struck me most is how much of the game I'd forgotten. I kept asking my buddy who also hadn't played the game since its' initial release, "do you remember this part?". A lot of what it does wrong could be forgivable but I think the biggest sin is the level design and how confusing it can be as well as the amount of dead ends. It really lacks as sense of place. I used to say that even a bad FromSoft Souls game is good but I'm going to have to amend that.

I've also been playing Super Mario Wonder and just got to W6. It's easily my favorite modern 2D Mario game and the Wonder Seed level gimmicks let Nintendo flex their creativity muscles and add a bunch of variety along the way.

I actually really appreciate DS2. In the last couple years I played or replayed Demons Souls, Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring. Yes I know I need to play DS3 and Sekiro, but given what I've played:

Demons Souls is really indicative of a first shot. Still a great game, but the gameplay and balance just isn't quite there.

Dark Souls 1 is fantastic through Anor Londo, but after that it drops off in quality - HARD. Tomb of the Giants, Crystal Cave, Lost Izalith...ugh. Some actual bad game design in the latter levels that is only excused because how the series blew up in the west.

Dark Souls 2 has some strange jank and really mean moments, plus switching up a bunch of the mechanics. But the world building, gameplay itself, and level design was all extremely well done. I think too many people got stuck on where things should be and where shortcuts should be, that they missed how well crafted the environments are. There were only a handful of moments that frustrated me the way DS1 did its entire second half.

Bloodborne I had doubted, but with only a couple more boss battles to go I have to say it's probably the second best souls game. Lessons learned from the other games up until then, and a truly unique setting and new twist on the battle system really make it excellent. Getting rid of weight, taking away your shield, etc seemed like it would make me enjoy the game less, but they all made it better IMO.

Elden Ring is the culmination of lessons learned, and the ultimate souls game. It doesn't feel as unique or fresh because of the legacy their other games have left. But Elden Ring is more than the sum of its parts. The polish and ambition of the game - where every new expansion of the map felt like another world was opened up. The game felt like it would never end, and there would never be any shortage of secrets and new things to do. The multiplayer is the best it's been, and even the dungeons that were not fully hand crafted took the best from Bloodborne's chalices. The gameplay is varied and fairly balanced despite the vast array of options. The lore is unmatched and thematically the game is as good as the series has ever been with the questlines and covenants.

bender

What time is it?
I actually really appreciate DS2. In the last couple years I played or replayed Demons Souls, Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring. Yes I know I need to play DS3 and Sekiro, but given what I've played:

Demons Souls is really indicative of a first shot. Still a great game, but the gameplay and balance just isn't quite there.

Dark Souls 1 is fantastic through Anor Londo, but after that it drops off in quality - HARD. Tomb of the Giants, Crystal Cave, Lost Izalith...ugh. Some actual bad game design in the latter levels that is only excused because how the series blew up in the west.

Dark Souls 2 has some strange jank and really mean moments, plus switching up a bunch of the mechanics. But the world building, gameplay itself, and level design was all extremely well done. I think too many people got stuck on where things should be and where shortcuts should be, that they missed how well crafted the environments are. There were only a handful of moments that frustrated me the way DS1 did its entire second half.

Bloodborne I had doubted, but with only a couple more boss battles to go I have to say it's probably the second best souls game. Lessons learned from the other games up until then, and a truly unique setting and new twist on the battle system really make it excellent. Getting rid of weight, taking away your shield, etc seemed like it would make me enjoy the game less, but they all made it better IMO.

Elden Ring is the culmination of lessons learned, and the ultimate souls game. It doesn't feel as unique or fresh because of the legacy their other games have left. But Elden Ring is more than the sum of its parts. The polish and ambition of the game - where every new expansion of the map felt like another world was opened up. The game felt like it would never end, and there would never be any shortage of secrets and new things to do. The multiplayer is the best it's been, and even the dungeons that were not fully hand crafted took the best from Bloodborne's chalices. The gameplay is varied and fairly balanced despite the vast array of options. The lore is unmatched and thematically the game is as good as the series has ever been with the questlines and covenants.

I waiver between Demon Souls and Bloodborne being my favorites. Demon Souls gets points for being the first mover and the Tower of Latria is one of the high points in the series for me. Bloodborne's more focused mechanical approach and setting push all of the right buttons for me. Both of those games have something in common in the consistency of quality throughout their campaigns. Dark Souls 3 also does a great job of this, I just don't find it nearly as memorable. Dark Souls has wonderful highs but the back portion of that game really falls flat. Elden Ring is just too big for my liking and the amount of recycled content weighs heavier in it than in other titles. I still love them all and until recently, I would have said the same thing about Dark Souls 2, but there are less than a handful of memorable moments in that game and everything else is chock full of tedium and frustration.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Elden Ring is just too big for my liking and the amount of recycled content weighs heavier in it than in other titles.
I hear this complain I just don’t get it, show me open world game that doesn’t have repeated enemies and bosses. Even Dark Souls have some repeated enemies and bosses and that game is not open world.

Compare to any other open world game out there, Elden Ring has huge amount of enemy variety.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy (got this week) and Rise of The Triad. Sometimes I go back to SF4.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Even none open world games have some recycled content, what Elden Ring managed with huge open world game is fucking amazing to me.

Not every open world recycles content. Just because I have criticisms of a game doesn't mean I don't love it. It's really not a difficult concept to grasp. You know what was cool in Elden Ring? The stage coach robbery. You know what was less cool? Doing it another two times in different sections of the world. Elden Ring is better than most open world's when it comes to recycled content but it does recycle a whole bunch. It also suffers from the same problem a lot of other open world games have in that it isn't confident enough to let its' open world breath. I don't need something to do every few steps.

Danjin44

It also suffers from the same problem a lot of other open world games have in that it isn't confident enough to let its' open world breath. I don't need something to do every few steps.
I actually disagree on that, I personally think the game does pretty damn good job spacing out content on the map also it opens world if you don’t want to do something then don’t do it. I sometimes just wonder off in Elden Ring just for sake of wondering.

Duchess

Shantae and the Seven Sirens. Need a break from all the traumatising horror games I put myself through during October!

• Strength

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just want to chime this in here without making a new topic, but what a fucking amazing stretch of releases we've had in the last couple of months.

In my recent memory, this has been the best hitting year for games in a long while.

Last edited:

reektann

Played through Jusant on game pass PC. Loved it. A really unique and chilled experience with challenge when you want it as there are multiple routes. A real looker too with excellent music.

Nice tight 5-6 hours too.

Back to Alan Wake 2.

adamsapple

Played through Jusant on game pass PC. Loved it. A really unique and chilled experience with challenge when you want it as there are multiple routes. A real looker too with excellent music.

Nice tight 5-6 hours too.

Back to Alan Wake 2.

Jusant, another game that's on my backlog right now. I think right now there's enough games to last me till summer '24 even if I don't start any new game.

and fucking Yakuza / Like a Dragon is getting a new game in a few days lol.

Finished AW2. Finished Robocop. Now resuming where I left SMT: Nocturne HD. Gonna try for the True Demon ending and see if I can make it through the Amala Labyrinth. Fucking sucks that you have to pay $10 to get Dante back.

Now resuming where I left SMT: Nocturne HD. Gonna try for the True Demon ending and see if I can make it through the Amala Labyrinth. Fucking sucks that you have to pay $10 to get Dante back.
I am actually happy I don't have to run from Dante in the Amala Labyrinth. He is such a pain in the ass and not as great an ally as his boss battles would have you think.

adamsapple

I am actually happy I don't have to run from Dante in the Amala Labyrinth. He is such a pain in the ass and not as great an ally as his boss battles would have you think.

Wait, run from him? I've completed up to the second Kalpa and I haven't had a case where Raidou (?) is after me there lol

Danjin44

I have this craving to replay Armored Core VI again even tho I have completely 100% the game. Times like this I wish they announced this game is getting DLC before release (I know its not good practice) so I know more to come because........I need more.
giphy.gif

Paltheos

Started Chained Echoes on a friend's (and the internet's) recommendation. I had been a little off put by the character art which looks amateurish and the general onslaught of indie games that call back to SNES days, but this one's won me over. It does allot right and comes up with some new ideas to keep turn-based combat fresh. The world's big and colorful, the soundtrack is smooth, and the game plays quick.

I'm a fan of the script too, which has been consistently smart. Although especially early on I think it would have benefited from some copyediting to fix some bizarre phrasing like awkward non-use of contractions. Otherwise it's written well, both by-character and overall - it manages to communicate tons of information without sitting you down for an exposition dump and when it does dump (like near the start when it sets up the players on the continent) it doesn't repeat itself, so I hope you were paying attention, motherfucker.

The reward board is a fun alternative to traditional grinding and keeps me engaged, and the overdrive system forces me to adapt on the fly in combat instead of just picking the same moves over and over (... most of the time; I think I'm starting to break it despite the game's best efforts).

This one's on my good side - I can still be thrown because I'm very familiar with this genre and I've heard dissatisfied murmurs about the ending - but I'm still on for the ride.

PS: The character art's grown on me a little. The light detail and subtle expressiveness on the portraits is giving me FFT vibes, although that could just as easily be because of how politically driven this story is.

I'm currently around 25hrs into my status-effect dagger build in Lords of the Fallen. Really enjoying it.

I also want to start Like a Dragon: Gaiden when it's out, but I still haven't played Yakuza 5/6. Might have to knock those both out soon.

kikkis

I have played aw2 and lies of p. Not feeling either game. Aw2 is just boring and lies of p decent but I guess I prefere replaying souls games since they are ultimately tighter.

Maybe I should try dead space remake

Playing Robocop. Playthrough 2. Loving the shit out of it.
I think it's one of the most beautiful games I played in a while.

AND ITS FUCKING ROBOCOP CMON!!!!

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
I hear this complain I just don’t get it, show me open world game that doesn’t have repeated enemies and bosses. Even Dark Souls have some repeated enemies and bosses and that game is not open world.

Compare to any other open world game out there, Elden Ring has huge amount of enemy variety.

I don't get it either. There is VERY little recycled content in Elden Ring. Dragons are easily the biggest offender. Outside of that? I barely noticed.

Last edited:

salva

Just started TOTK. The start was great, it felt a bit fresh compared to BOTW. But once I got back onto Hyrule this is 100% full priced DLC. There is no way this should win goty.
I'm enjoying it, but don't think I'll finish it tbh... Not when Alan Wake 2 and RoboCop are next on my list

stn

Lies of P - XSX - stuck on the boss right before the last boss. I need to beat this finally so I can get on with my life, lol.
Spider-Man 2 - PS5 - just barely started, good so far and what I expected.

bender

What time is it?
The Final-Final level of Mario Wonder broke me yesterday. The final leg involves the invisibility badge and I'm not sure I have it in me.

Moved into A- ranking in F-Zero 99. I only play a handful of matches a day but it is the highlight of my gaming routine. Maybe I just miss the series?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Started Vampire: The Masquerade - Justice yesterday.

Finishing up Spider-Man 2 side quests, and doing some events on Hitman WoA.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
(PC)

Playing through the Mechwarrior 2 campaigns

Some Live for Speed as usual.

And a bit if Dwarf Fortress.

Last edited:

Dazraell

I'm currently continuing my Remedy games binge. I've completed Alan Wake Remastered, DLCs and American Nightmare and now I'm about halfway through Quantum Break

So far I'm positively surprised about Quantum Break. While I'm not a big fan of a combat and how clunky and boring it is, but the story and associated TV show is solid

I also enjoyed the depth behind the main premise related to time travel. Even some early developments that felt a bit too convenient and simplified had some explanations that started to make sense. Main antagonist is also quite memorable and very different from other villains from Remedy games

The_hunter

Finished Mario wonder 100%. Finished Spider-man 2, I enjoyed it.

Playing Monster Hunter World, using the charge blade. About to fight Nergigante. Took me a while to understand the game. After getting into DMC and Bayonetta earlier this year, I'm enjoying MHW.

Last edited:

foamdino

* Cyberpunk (PC)
* D4 (new season is much better than last season) (PC)
* Starfield (PC) (on hold until the dlss patch drops)
* Star Ocean: The Divine Force (ps5)
* Far changing tides (ps5)
* Disco Elysium (ps5)

Alpha Male

These are the games I'm playing for the month of November

Series X
Starfield
Forza Motorsport
Battlefield 2042
Halo Infinite multiplayer

PS5
Talos Principle 2
Spiderman 2
Baldur's Gate 3

Switch OLED handheld
Tears of the Kingdom

Last edited:

Roberts

How was it? Contemplating this or that Jetsua game next
I've said it before here, but it's a fantastic puzzle game. It works differently than games like Inside or Limbo where you are constantly in peril. This is more chill experience where the developers have focused all their brainpower on creating some of the most unique puzzles ever. The puzzles are not there to break your brain and torture you - most of them are very intuitive if you are willing to observe the surroundings and it helps that it is basically one type of puzzle that evolves into more and more interesting and rewarding variations of it as you move towards its beautiful conclusion.

Top Bottom