• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Finished Starfield and Phantom Liberty these last weeks, both on PC. Phantom Liberty was amazing.

In the second dungeon of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom but I wasn't feeling it. Really should pick it back up.

Also been playing the new Forza on PC but while the racing is good, it is a bit of a joyless experience compared to Gran Turismo 7.

In chapter 3 of the first playthrough of Armored Core 6 on PS5, really like it and going to play more this week.

But first I'm finishing Alan Wake II on PC, and man that game looks good with max settings. Not sure about the actual gameplay to be honest, but the atmosphere and visuals keep me playing.

sedg87

Separate Ways
Playing through this again. Just made it to the castle area.

Mass Effect
Spared the Rachni Queen and I'm now off back to the Citadel.

Kingdom Hearts
I always seem to get the urge to play through all the Kingdom Hearts games at least once a year. Just cleared the worst world: Jungle thingy

I crossplay too many games right now, and it kind of annoys me that I don‘t finish games one after the other and spread my little spare time over too many different games. RDR2, Forza Motorsport, High on Life, Dead Space Remake, Sea of Stars, Killer7, Nier Replicant Version squarerooz of 1.5….

Any tips on how to stay focused on one game from someone who has faced the same problem?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I crossplay too many games right now, and it kind of annoys me that I don‘t finish games one after the other and spread my little spare time over too many different games. RDR2, Forza Motorsport, High on Life, Dead Space Remake, Sea of Stars, Killer7, Nier Replicant Version squarerooz of 1.5….

Any tips on how to stay focused on one game from someone who has faced the same problem?
It's okay to juggle games, but juggle games of different sizes.

Take 2 normal sized games at a time and no more.
Killer 7, Dead Space, High on Life

Anything with story as the core focus, don't interrupt your playthrough.
NieR

Work in multiple smaller games, or games that can be played in short sessions.
Indie games
Forza Motorsport

Games that are gigantic should never be played with other games. If you pick up one of these, go all in or you're never going to finish it.
Red Dead (or things like Breath of the Wild, Starfield, etc.)

I used to try to focus on one game. I struggled to complete games. I would feel guilty. Sometimes, I just wouldn’t play anything due to this. Now, I just play whatever I feel like playing. A game is “finished” when I say it is finished. My gaming experience is much better for it.

Sometimes a game grips me and I play nothing but it until I am done (Pokémon Legends Arceus, Immortals of Aveum). Sometimes a game is sprinkled throughout other games, to finished someday (Octopath Traveler). Sometimes a game is unfinished and will likely never be played again, but I enjoyed my time with it (Breath of the Wild, Elden Ring).

You don’t need to finish a game to get enjoyment from it. Just play whatever you want, whenever you want. It’s a library of games, not a list of chores.

Speaking of playing games, my plan was to restart Skyrim again. I discovered that surround sound actually does work from PC to my home theatre system. Skyrim on PS3 was the game that convinced me to buy surround sound in the first place. The ambient sounds and music are stunning in this game with surround.

But Jusant just released. I know nothing about it but saw it in a video discussing unreal engine 5. Going to give it a try.

Last edited:

sedg87

Mass Effect
Got a big glitch near the end of the game. Was driving in the mako and it seemed to despawn or something so I couldn't progress. Lost around half an hours worth of time and progress so could have been worse.

Kuon
A couple of hours in and really enjoying it. It's quite slow paced which is a nice turn of pace after playing the Dead Space.

Kingdom Hearts
I always seem to get the urge to play through all the Kingdom Hearts games at least once a year. Just cleared the worst world: Jungle thingy
Does that mean you like Monstro's insides?

P.S. I am also doing a playthrough of the first, but it is on hiatus for Halloween month.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just recently finished Alan Wake 2, really enjoyed it. I might do another playthrough once NG+ drops in.

Duchess

Finished A Plague Tale : Requiem.

Absolutely brilliant. Didn't imagine that they would actually improve on and surpass the first game.

... but Jesus Christ, I was not prepared for that outcome. Highly emotional experience all the way through. One of the few games that has ever moved me to tears.

Housh

MWII on PS5 - 2 more prestige left before the new game comes out

Alan Wake 2 on PC - my jaw is on the floor

M.W.

Too many single player games lol

Spiderman 2
Alan Wake 2
RoboCop

And the others

WRC
Hot Wheels
MK1
Rocket League
Forza
NBA 2K24
FC24

sedg87

Does that mean you like Monstro's insides?

P.S. I am also doing a playthrough of the first, but it is on hiatus for Halloween month.

Yeah I think I prefer Monstro. It's just the whole "Go to the tent. Back to the treetop. Back to the tent. Back to the treetop" stuff that I find kinda annoying. I know there's plenty of running back and forth in other worlds, but this one annoys me the most haha. Going to be taking a break from the game because I'm currently installing Alan Wake 2.

sedg87

Mass Effect
Beat it. Fantastic game. Looking forward to playing ME2 again.

Just about to start Alan Wake 2. Love the original and I'm hearing this is even better.

Field

Still playing Resident evil 4 remake. At the island and so ready for it to be over. Never been as bored playing a Resident evil game. And it’s one of my favourite series.

violence

Still playing Resident evil 4 remake. At the island and so ready for it to be over. Never been as bored playing a Resident evil game. And it’s one of my favourite series.
I would probably put it down for another time. Sometimes it’s me, not the game.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Beat Spiderman 2. Loved it. Not sure I loved it more than 1 though. It looked better, but I recall enjoying the side stuff more in 1 and felt like it had more to do. I cleaned up the side stuff in 2 pretty quickly.

Am on Alan Wake 2. I was someone who didn't love Alan Wake 1, so I'm curious how I'm going to feel about this. I like it overall so far. I don't remember much about the plot from 1, may need a refresher.

I am going to stop to play Talos Principle 2 tomorrow though. Then after that I'll probably finish Alan Wake, then jump to Jusant. Then I still have to get back to AC: Mirage(which I wasn't really enjoying much) and still get to Starfield and Super Mario Wonder. Just so many damn games.

Amory

Currently Danganronpa with Mario Wonder as a palate cleanser

Danganronpa is pretty good but falls well short of the nonary games for me

sedg87

Alan Wake 2
I think this might top RE4 Remake and be my GOTY. I love everything about it. One of those near-perfect sequels that betters everything in the original. The only downside is the framerate is really ropey at times. Had a couple of instances where I've dodged an attack and the FPS has completely tanked, which is quite odd.

engstra

Played through Miles Morales over the past week. Had a lot of fun with it. Think I prefer it to Spiderman due to it being shorter and more focused. Didn't overstayed its welcome with a bunch of filler side content. Like the original, they execute what they're doing near perfectly but story and gameplay wise isn't really anything groundbreaking. Solid 7-8/10 type game.

Now onto Alan Wake II

Zuzu

I just finished my first playthrough of Bloodborne after finishing Lies of P. I liked Lies of P a lot more. Go ahead, hang, draw and quarter me for feeling that way :messenger_winking:

Last edited:
Alan Wake 2 - it's 9/10 currently.
RoboCop - it's 7/10 currently.
Starfield - too big/10 currently
Jusant - I-wan-a-be-fun-but-cant/ 10 currently. I hope it's get better.
Mario Wonder - 2D>3D/ 10 currently, but it solid
Cocoon - amazing-but-dont-have-time-for-this /10.

Roberts

Man, I just realised I have been playing so many games at the same time, but I'm OK with it at the moment and switching between them doesn't meaning anything really.

Gungrave: G.O.R.E - I only played it for 10 minutes when it came out and now that it is about to leave GP, I decided to try it out. I think it is supposed to be a bad game but I kind of like it. It's fun in its own mindless way. I think I'm halfway through.
Alan Wake 2 - I was one the fence during the first 4 or 5 hours, but I think I definitely like it way more than dislike it as soon as i found my own rhythm and that means mostly following main story and not worry too much about missing some collectible.
Head Bangers Battle Royale - play a match or two every day. It's a blast.
Lies of P - Like it a lot. This, Steelrising and Surge are the best Souls rip-offs.
Jusant - Can't really say I'm playing it, but I tried it and loved the first 20 minutes. Will focus on it exclusively after I'm done with AW2 and Gungrave.
Frog Detective: The Entire Mystery - It's my daughter's before-going-to-bed game. We are almost done with it. It's a kids game with a stoner humour, but she adores it, because she loves silly mysteries and the art style is most reminiscent to how kids her age draw.
Forza Motorsport - Not really my kind of game but I still do a race once in a few days.

Still playing Tales of Graces f. Progress is pretty slow, mostly because of the grind for titles...

Combat is starting to get rough, I don't have nearly enough CC to put off some real combos lol. Recent bosses tend to spam their Eleth Break too, thankfully they don't have a Mystic Arte... yet. Speaking of which, all of my characters have their first one except Sophie, who I'm trying to main, sadface.

The world is boring. Like, it feels completely empty, the "overworld" is just linear roads going from point A to point B, and the environments themselves are super bland. I get it's due to the game being originally released on the Wii, but even Symphonia felt better.

The strategy settings for your party is basically non-existent. It's especially jarring coming from Vesperia, where everything was super customizable, it's hard to believe Graces is actually more recent with how backwards this feels...

The characters are hit and miss. Not talking about the prologue, since kids acting like kids is nothing new.
  • Asbel is... alright. After everything that happened, I get that he feels lost, like he just wasted 7 years of his life (and his life-long dream) and is looking for something to live for... but come on dude, you're not even 18, stop acting like you've seen it all!
  • Cheria started off as a bitch (understandable, as she probably feels like all of her friends had abandoned her), but she's starting to mellow out a bit.
  • Hubert... holy hell, what happened to you in those seven years to get you that edgy?! Asbel had nothing to do with your parents abandoning you... Well he seems well-intentioned at least for now.
  • Malik... oh boy. What kind of "knight" tries to kill the rightful heir to the throne, just because the usurper happens to be the "king" now? Loyalty my ass...
  • Richard started nice, then... not so nice. Judging from all the hints (eyes changing colour, Sophie's reaction to touching him), he probably got possessed by something 7 years ago... and he also happens to have way fewer titles than the others, so I'm expecting him to be this game's Kratos' (maybe including the redemption arc, since he's supposed to be playable for a longer time here than in the Wii release?).
  • Pascal is definitely a mood. I like that she adds a lighter tone to an overall grim story, but you should definitely keep her away from Sophie. I also can't seem to play her anywhere near efficiently.
  • Sophie doesn't really have a personality to speak of right now, but that's part of her charm, like Presea. I mostly use her, but the AI managed to get her first combo title while I was trying out Cheria lol. Maybe I should just put everyone in Auto...
The soundtrack is also very forgettable. Not on the level of Symphonia or Vesperia, and definitely not Zestiria.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
All Game Pass stuff since I’m gonna milk that month until the end

Jusant: I think I’m at the third chapter, and it’s not bad. For a climbing game they’ve certainly done a pretty good job with a variety of mechanics

Sniper Elite 5/ Zombie Army 4: More of a fan of Sniper 5 than Zombie. Not bothering to go too far with it, as I’ll likely pick up both in the near future since they’re getting nice and cheap

Power Washer Simulator: Very relaxing game of cleaning shit. Hope to see it in a Humble Choice at some point.

McPixel: Easy achievements for Daily Rewards. Weird game.

FeastYoEyes

Once in a while, I just get an itch I can't scratch and most of the time it's me wanting to do another run through Doom. Did a playthrough of 2016 and now I'm a couple missions deep into Eternal.

The more time passes, the more I realize how good Eternal is. There's nothing quite as intense as it in FPS right now. You rest for one second and you are dead.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I've seen you've got Forza Motorsport on your list – that's a title I also spent quite a lot of time on. It's an amazing game with stunning visuals and some of the most thrilling racing mechanics out there. I've been lately addicted to RB College: https://retrobowlcollege.com
I'm extremely impressed with the game. Taking it slow. I just do a race or two every other day, so it will last me a long time. I asked in the thread for racing wheel recommendations but no one responded. I guess I will just stick with controller. It's one of my favorite racers ever.

Osthyvel

The Callisto Protocol, i am maybe 6h in to the game, ABSOLUTELY love it, the presentation is top notch, maybe the best looking game this gen, sound design is phenomenal, i love the gameplay, story keeps my interest up. One of the best games i have played for a long time. Got it on psplus, have to support this so will buy seasonpass for sure.

bender

What time is it?
I wrapped up Dark Souls 2 tonight with my co-op partner. It was my first playthrough of the SOTFC and I never got around to the DLC on my first playthrough on PS3. My first trophy was from 4/11/15 and wrapping it on 11/3/23 has to be a record for me as far as time between start and finish dates. As far as the game is concerned, I was having a really good time the first few hours but I quickly was reminded of what I hated about the game so much (weapon durability, mobs of enemies, weapon durability, mostly boring boss battles, weapon durability, annoying level gimmicks, weapon durability, i-frames being tied to ADP, weapon durability, how difficult it is hit crystal lizards with certain weapons, and did I mention weapon durability?). What struck me most is how much of the game I'd forgotten. I kept asking my buddy who also hadn't played the game since its' initial release, "do you remember this part?". A lot of what it does wrong could be forgivable but I think the biggest sin is the level design and how confusing it can be as well as the amount of dead ends. It really lacks as sense of place. I used to say that even a bad FromSoft Souls game is good but I'm going to have to amend that.

I've also been playing Super Mario Wonder and just got to W6. It's easily my favorite modern 2D Mario game and the Wonder Seed level gimmicks let Nintendo flex their creativity muscles and add a bunch of variety along the way.

Paltheos

Still playing Tales of Graces f. Progress is pretty slow, mostly because of the grind for titles...

Combat is starting to get rough, I don't have nearly enough CC to put off some real combos lol. Recent bosses tend to spam their Eleth Break too, thankfully they don't have a Mystic Arte... yet. Speaking of which, all of my characters have their first one except Sophie, who I'm trying to main, sadface.

The world is boring. Like, it feels completely empty, the "overworld" is just linear roads going from point A to point B, and the environments themselves are super bland. I get it's due to the game being originally released on the Wii, but even Symphonia felt better.

The strategy settings for your party is basically non-existent. It's especially jarring coming from Vesperia, where everything was super customizable, it's hard to believe Graces is actually more recent with how backwards this feels...

The characters are hit and miss. Not talking about the prologue, since kids acting like kids is nothing new.
  • Asbel is... alright. After everything that happened, I get that he feels lost, like he just wasted 7 years of his life (and his life-long dream) and is looking for something to live for... but come on dude, you're not even 18, stop acting like you've seen it all!
  • Cheria started off as a bitch (understandable, as she probably feels like all of her friends had abandoned her), but she's starting to mellow out a bit.
  • Hubert... holy hell, what happened to you in those seven years to get you that edgy?! Asbel had nothing to do with your parents abandoning you... Well he seems well-intentioned at least for now.
  • Malik... oh boy. What kind of "knight" tries to kill the rightful heir to the throne, just because the usurper happens to be the "king" now? Loyalty my ass...
  • Richard started nice, then... not so nice. Judging from all the hints (eyes changing colour, Sophie's reaction to touching him), he probably got possessed by something 7 years ago... and he also happens to have way fewer titles than the others, so I'm expecting him to be this game's Kratos' (maybe including the redemption arc, since he's supposed to be playable for a longer time here than in the Wii release?).
  • Pascal is definitely a mood. I like that she adds a lighter tone to an overall grim story, but you should definitely keep her away from Sophie. I also can't seem to play her anywhere near efficiently.
  • Sophie doesn't really have a personality to speak of right now, but that's part of her charm, like Presea. I mostly use her, but the AI managed to get her first combo title while I was trying out Cheria lol. Maybe I should just put everyone in Auto...
The soundtrack is also very forgettable. Not on the level of Symphonia or Vesperia, and definitely not Zestiria.

Most of Graces sucks outside the combat (it's actually kinda impressive how cookie-cutter the world is). The combat is really good though, imo. I don't recommend sticking to one character - The game's progression system heavily incentivizes switching around for unlocks, and I got a decent handle on everyone by the end (except for Malik, I think?).

Pascal is my favorite character, for her particular brand of quirkiness - impossible-to-contain, wants-to-have-fun genius. Most of the rest take everything too seriously and drag the show down. The f arc improves on this though - the writing really leans into all the characters' funniest tendencies in their interactions and can laugh a little at itself, coming out better for it. The main scenario can get rough (boring) though, yeah.

Soundtrack is a step down, agreed. A little surprising considering both Sakuraba and Aoyama worked on it again, like with Vesperia. I wanted to see if I could hammer down why but I'm actually having a tough time tracking down individual composer credits and I don't feel like combing through the whole OSTs (Sakuraba's usually pretty easy to spot out though) There are a handful of really good tracks in Graces: Prosterity in the Lake Shore, Fort of Breath, What Was Born Inside That Door, Mad Dance, Impatient Sword, and Risk Everything are the only songs I have on my playlist. All of which are more intense and almost definitely all Sakuraba's. I don't remember any of the moody- or playful-type tracks from Vesperia (which I'd have to attribute to Aoyama by elimination) in Graces.

I wrapped up Dark Souls 2 tonight with my co-op partner. It was my first playthrough of the SOTFC and I never got around to the DLC on my first playthrough on PS3. My first trophy was from 4/11/15 and wrapping it on 11/3/23 has to be a record for me as far as time between start and finish dates. As far as the game is concerned, I was having a really good time the first few hours but I quickly was reminded of what I hated about the game so much (weapon durability, mobs of enemies, weapon durability, mostly boring boss battles, weapon durability, annoying level gimmicks, weapon durability, i-frames being tied to ADP, weapon durability, how difficult it is hit crystal lizards with certain weapons, and did I mention weapon durability?). What struck me most is how much of the game I'd forgotten. I kept asking my buddy who also hadn't played the game since its' initial release, "do you remember this part?". A lot of what it does wrong could be forgivable but I think the biggest sin is the level design and how confusing it can be as well as the amount of dead ends. It really lacks as sense of place. I used to say that even a bad FromSoft Souls game is good but I'm going to have to amend that.

I've also been playing Super Mario Wonder and just got to W6. It's easily my favorite modern 2D Mario game and the Wonder Seed level gimmicks let Nintendo flex their creativity muscles and add a bunch of variety along the way.

Level design isn't bad imo. The biggest problem for me is enemy placement. Iron Keep's the first example that springs to mind - Enemies are positioned to block your progression and make straight fog door runs significantly more difficult. It was so bad that I just made a point of killing every enemy in most zones over and over again until they stopped spawning so I could make dashes to bosses without interruption.

Not that I think all the levels are great either. Shrine of Amana is a fucking chore.

Duchess

Was playing Outlast 2, but binned it off because it's simply too tedious and repetitive. Got it for £2.49 on a PSN sale, so no big loss.

Top Bottom