• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Paltheos

Still playing Bloodborne. Beat the game and had a blast, then got lost in VaatiVidya's lore (SO GOOD) but then I realized the platinum trophy is actually achievable with a reasonable amount of effort!

...or so I believed prior to all of this chalice bullshit. Just finished the defiled chalice - what an insufferable stretch of gameplay. Those bosses that one shot you drove me absolutely nuts. Hopefully the worst is over, I only have one more to go.

Still loving the game overall. I get the praise and the calls for a remake.

The platinum is doable in one playthrough. The easy strat is to backup your save to a USB stick before the final boss/consuming the umbilical cords and then reload for each permutation.

Experience varies on the chalices I guess. I enjoyed the chalice dungeons allot - they're just an easy shoe-in for more content, and they have some exclusive stuff too (and remixed fights, like Rom in a contained space). I agree the corrupted(?) chalice goes too far though (the one that cuts your health in half). The Amygdala is absolutely brutal when he can one-shot you. On the flip side, Bloodletting Beast v.2 was allot of fun and represents everything I love and hate about Bloodborne.

mrmustard

Banned
Still Dying Light 2. Much more fun than i expected, don't get why this is only 77. Much better than many bloated AAA borefests.

Kindela

Banned
Paused the thrilling ride that is Mass Effect 3 campaign to do the highly praised Citadel DLC, and it's absolutely terrible. It completely killed the mood of the game and almost soured me on the whole experience.
I'm not sure if I will be able to take my squadmates seriously from now on. Their writing was butchered in the DLC, and most of them are completely out of character.

To top it all off, the final boss is so bad I switched the difficulty to narrative to finish it off quickly. Killed both him and his annoying partner the moment I got the chance. Kept spamming R2 cause I was afraid I'll miss the inevitable renegade prompt.

Reading all the raving comments and reviews makes me think I'm from a different planet. What a mess.

RE4 REMAKE just finished chapter 2....
giphy.gif

As cool as the graphics are.....this feels more action than the original RE4. The moves, parries, easy quick R2 kills, even the enemies take less shots. I don't have that heart-racing adrenaline rush like I did from the original. At least each zombie in RE2 remake was a SCARY experience and had you on the edge of your seat wondering if they'll just stay dead. But alas this is the moment in Resident Evil Gaming History that a Survival Horror game became action. Maybe the regenerators will instill some fear in the later chapters....

Maybe the regenerators will instill some fear in the later chapters....
I found them more annoying than scary. The boarded up house in the village is challenging. The chainsaw sisters might do it for you depending on strategy. The mine cart section will probably give you a thrill first time though. Maybe Vertugo boss fight.

Last edited:
Pac-Man Museum+ with steam deck's kinda junky d-pad.

Super Pac-Man looks so easy but is owning me kind of.

I just wanna unlock Pac 'n Roll Remix for some reason.

WoJ

Finished Guardians of the Galaxy tonight. What a fun ride. Game was long enough but didn't overstay its welcome. Cast was great. Combat had some depth to it but could have been refined some to take advantage of the various abilities.

Would love for this to get a sequel. Next up for me is Callisto Protocol DLC.

The platinum is doable in one playthrough. The easy strat is to backup your save to a USB stick before the final boss/consuming the umbilical cords and then reload for each permutation.

Experience varies on the chalices I guess. I enjoyed the chalice dungeons allot - they're just an easy shoe-in for more content, and they have some exclusive stuff too (and remixed fights, like Rom in a contained space). I agree the corrupted(?) chalice goes too far though (the one that cuts your health in half). The Amygdala is absolutely brutal when he can one-shot you. On the flip side, Bloodletting Beast v.2 was allot of fun and represents everything I love and hate about Bloodborne.

Amygdala brought me near my breaking point, but I just upgraded my Burial Blade and finally got some good RNG where it didn't spam that bullshit thrashing move and it's crazy hitbox. The annoying part is how you get moved around by it despite not actually making contact, preventing you from being in proper position to dodge any follow ups.

I'm hoping the last chalice and the bosses aren't as bad, I figure if I got through defiled I'll be able to get through the rest of the content required for the platinum. Then going to call it for a while and move onto something completely different.

monty python GIF

Been trying to juggle three games of late: Mario Wonder, Star Ocean SSR and My Time at Sandrock. Beat Wonder (awesome game) so now I can just focus on the other two. Sandrock is so much better than Portia was, and I enjoyed that game as well.

Amygdala brought me near my breaking point, but I just upgraded my Burial Blade and finally got some good RNG where it didn't spam that bullshit thrashing move and it's crazy hitbox. The annoying part is how you get moved around by it despite not actually making contact, preventing you from being in proper position to dodge any follow ups.

I'm hoping the last chalice and the bosses aren't as bad, I figure if I got through defiled I'll be able to get through the rest of the content required for the platinum. Then going to call it for a while and move onto something completely different.

monty python GIF
Found the Watchdog of the Old Gods the worst of all. Made me upload one of my handful of YT videos.

That jump attack 30 seconds before the end almost gave me heart attack because it one shots you basically.
Shame the video doesn't show me cheering in the background. Must've done this fight for hours on end before I beat this boss.

Found the Watchdog of the Old Gods the worst of all. Made me upload one of my handful of YT videos.

That jump attack 30 seconds before the end almost gave me heart attack because it one shots you basically.
Shame the video doesn't show me cheering in the background. Must've done this fight for hours on end before I beat this boss.

I had similar difficulties with the Pthumeru Chalice version. Even Queen Yharnam didn't screw me up this bad. It could not even be cheesed with poison like Abhorrent Beast.

Even the strongest Amygdala was weak to Simon's Bowblade, Evelyn, and Executioner's Gloves hunter tool.

Last edited:

Fbh

Yakuza Like a Dragon.
Had it on my backlog for a long time.

It's really fun so far. While I don't like the turn based combat as much as the old system, it's a nice change of pace for the franchise (which was starting to feel a bit stale), and I have to admit it's fun seeing a pretty classic turn based system being adapted into the world of Yakuza with silly powers, classes, summons and equipment.
The story is fun as always and the new cast of characters is great. These characters feel more authentic, unique and likable than most generic fantasy anime JRPG parties I've played.

My only gripe so far is that there are a bit too many combat encounters. There's too many enemies walking around, most streets are pretty narrow and fights will start even if you try to maintain your distance from them. It gets specially tedious in areas with low level enemies because you still have to fight them and they give virtually no XP. Sometimes I want to go to a specific store and you have to go through like 4 fight just to get there from the taxi.
A system to make it easier to avoid fights or at least some system where enemies which are way lover LV than you run away or something like that would have been welcome.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Alan Wake 2. It's like Silent Hill fucked Twin Peaks. Weird as shit, but at least its something pretty fresh and unique narrative-wise.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

monty python GIF
I had similar difficulties with the Pthumeru Chalice version. Even Queen Yharnam didn't screw me up this bad. It could not even be cheesed with poison like Abhorrent Beast.

Even the strongest Amygdala was weak to Simon's Bowblade, Evelyn, and Executioner's Gloves hunter tool.
All these Bloodborne talk makes want to replay that game as well.

Playing Assassin's Creed Origins for the very first time. Having fun with it! Bayek so far seems like a good guy, maybe not as charming as Kassandra of Odyssey, but I love all of the little moments when taking down the leaders where he hits them with that spirit feather.

Hoping that I'm not burned out by the end because I'd like to pick up Valhalla again at some point. (Stopped playing around launch so they could work on bugs / performance).

stn

I'm gonna try and beat Lies of P (XSX) tonight, lolz. I've been stuck on the final chapter for a while now but fuck it I'M NOT GIVING UP!!!! SUCK MY DICK LIES OF P!!!!

Game is good by the way but I'm getting the same anxiety I got when facing Alma in NG1 for the first time way back when, lol.

Control on pc with the hdr and DLAA mod. Fantastic game. Wanted to play it before I dive into Alan Wake 2. Never got Control because I thought it wasn't for me and not much like Alan Wake 1. Big mistake.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m impressed by myself I’m on chapter 9 of yakuza 7. Really enjoying this game more and more. It gives me hope JRPGs that are turn based can still be gripping and innovative without deviating too far.

I’m also playing a lot of valorant , trying to hit gold for the first time ever. I’m bad.

Lastly, I purchased a new vampire survivors like with hades graphics on steam . Forgot the name but for 6 bucks it looked like a fun time.

amigastar

Started Grim Dawn again.
Patch 1.2.0.0 is out and it looks really good.

Some excerpt changelog:
All loot tables have been overhauled with 30-60% less items dropping. To compensate, loot quality and iron bits drops have been significantly increased.

I'm gonna try and beat Lies of P (XSX) tonight, lolz. I've been stuck on the final chapter for a while now but fuck it I'M NOT GIVING UP!!!! SUCK MY DICK LIES OF P!!!!

Game is good by the way but I'm getting the same anxiety I got when facing Alma in NG1 for the first time way back when, lol.
Do yourself a favor and use the LV1 shield arm ability with Puppet Axe Blade on your favorite handle. With some basic consumables and throwables you will endure this boss while doing damage.

Last edited:
Reactions: stn
reading all these reminds me there are sooo many games to play.

and im still playing elden ring (chewing through the backlog).
just got to the snowy part and found the big fiery boy across the chains.

buenoblue

Playing fFinal Fantasy XVI. I'm so up and down with this game. At some points, especially after boss battles, I'm like this game is amazing and looks stunning.

Then at other times the game is just a boring linear fetch quests with mediocre graphics.

35 hours in so I might as well push through to the end but yeah with a bit of editing this game could of been great.

Playing fFinal Fantasy XVI. I'm so up and down with this game. At some points, especially after boss battles, I'm like this game is amazing and looks stunning.

Then at other times the game is just a boring linear fetch quests with mediocre graphics.

35 hours in so I might as well push through to the end but yeah with a bit of editing this game could of been great.

I think this the most disappointing FF game since FF13. They nerfed the RPG elements of the series. The combat system is very shallow and relatively easy. The story is only OK. I enjoyed ff15 a lot more than this even.

Yakuza Like a Dragon.
Had it on my backlog for a long time.

It's really fun so far. While I don't like the turn based combat as much as the old system, it's a nice change of pace for the franchise (which was starting to feel a bit stale), and I have to admit it's fun seeing a pretty classic turn based system being adapted into the world of Yakuza with silly powers, classes, summons and equipment.
The story is fun as always and the new cast of characters is great. These characters feel more authentic, unique and likable than most generic fantasy anime JRPG parties I've played.

My only gripe so far is that there are a bit too many combat encounters. There's too many enemies walking around, most streets are pretty narrow and fights will start even if you try to maintain your distance from them. It gets specially tedious in areas with low level enemies because you still have to fight them and they give virtually no XP. Sometimes I want to go to a specific store and you have to go through like 4 fight just to get there from the taxi.
A system to make it easier to avoid fights or at least some system where enemies which are way lover LV than you run away or something like that would have been welcome.

If those little skirmish battles had a bit of challenge to them it wouldn't be such a slog imo

Too many games to play, not enough time!

Started Cyberpunk for the first time with 2.0 and the expansion a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely in love with the world, characters, everything. So much love has been poured into Night City, amazing.

Death Must Die early access released this week too. $9 AUD is a bargain. Really polished, like the loot and different gods offering their powers. Definitely worth checking out if you like Vampire Survivor like games.

Grim Dawn 1.2 released today so started a new character for it. Haven't played it for a couple years so it feels new again. Having fun for sure!

Last edited:
Top Bottom