• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Bungie

This is what makes PC and Steam worthwhile. Every game comes with a two-hour demo. Unknown games on console come with hesitation or regret. PC games have no barrier of entry, on top of lower cost and free online functionality.

(I still prefer consoles overall)
(I do too) If it wasn't for Gamepass I would have permanently switched most likely.

This comedown from Bloodborne has me all indecisive. I want to play some Super Mario RPG but waiting for a decent deal on it. I have a pretty extensive backlog but I am also feeling like getting cozy revisiting an old favorite. Either way I'm hoping to play something pretty chill and relaxing to take the edge off. Any thoughts on the following options?

Death Stranding Director's Cut - I heard this was relaxing, but I have also heard it's stressful. Love/hate, it does seem rather long but if I can chip away at it late night I'd be down.

Disco Elysium - I hear this is awesome but not sure how relaxing it would be. Seems like a lot of reading and text to follow, would it be a problem late night when my mind needs to rest?

Legend of Dragoon - One of my old favorites, this would be pure comfort though I'd probably change up my usual OP party for something I haven't really done before like
Dart/Miranda/Kongol.

Paper Mario - Maybe the ultimate comfy game, especially this time of year. I was hoping to play through this following Super Mario RPG, and prior to TTYD's Switch re-release next year.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Spider man 2
Alan wake 2
Mario wonder
Robocop
Beat saber
Forza
Assassins creed quest 3

Not had as much time to dedicate myself to games due to work but my main goal is spider man 2 then Alan wake 2.

Too many good games.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Coral Island - it's like Stardew Valley on whatever steroids made Joe Rogan's head so damn big, mashed up with Animal Crossing and a dating sim. The attention to detail with the artwork and assets is amazing. It feels like there is an endless amount of things to do.

Roberts

Instead of buying tons of games on the Black Friday sale (I did buy a few, though), my daughter was pestering me about getting Bluey game, so we got that. She went through the whole story in what felt like an hour or two tops and then I helped her out getting all the achievements which took another hour. If we are talking about famous kid cartoon properties turned into video games then this one is definitely better than the Peppa game as it actually forces you to use more than just one controller button.

Also, played Mineko's Night Market with her too. It is a lovely little adventure game with tons to do. You solve a mystery, collect stuff, craft stuff, form friendships with local crowd. Has a silly mixture of Japanese and American cultures. It's set in fictional Japanese island but people talk like they are from an American cartoon. I'm playing it on Xbox but it feels like a perfect Switch kids game that adults can play and enjoy.

Took a break from Lies of P which I absolutely love, but I am at the point where progress started to get really slow because of the difficulty. I will return soon, I promise.

Still playing Jusant to get as many achievements as I can. It is one of the year's most breathtaking games.

Me and my friend started playing Grounded again after the big update. Tried to kill the wasp queen - failed, tried to build the big defences for the embiggening procedure battle and also failed. Back to the drawing board. This game is such a fucking treasure.

Also, did a few Headbangers rounds. I've played stuff like Fall Guys, Knockout City, Animal Party, Gang Beasts and usually come out on the top or close - beating all these kids is not that hard, but, holy shit, I can't seem to win in this one. And that is why I kind of love it. A real challenge.

engstra

Completed Alan Wake 2 last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Really love Remedy's style of storytelling and shared universe they have created with their games. Definitely had some issues with bugs and the combat wasn't the best but this game is all about the story and world they've created. As a Swede I really enjoyed all the Finnish references in the game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Holiday Game ADHD continues

Arkham Origins
Biomutant PS5
Mario Wonder
Mario RPG
Forspoken 2nd run

That Arkham Origins thread really made me restart the game as well lol

Pretty far into the game.

It's interesting to see, the Arkham Origins map is maybe what ... 1 / 200th the scale of Spider Man 2. But it's so much fun, they do a great job of having a lot of bespoke interior locations to compensate.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
That Arkham Origins thread really made me restart the game as well lol

Pretty far into the game.

It's interesting to see, the Arkham Origins map is maybe what ... 1 / 200th the scale of Spider Man 2. But it's so much fun, they do a great job of having a lot of bespoke interior locations to compensate.

Yeah the map is still sizable but isnt at all overwhelming. It def feels smaller than the AC or AK maps to me. Like more tightly put together? Having fast travel definitely helps a TON. Amazing they never brought it over to the other games. The Batwing is the shit.

Mhmmm 2077

Replaying the Yakuza franchise (on PC)... I'm on the last act of Yakuza 4 Remastered right now (I have played all these games up until Y6 on consoles), so 5R, 6, 7 and Gaiden left, hopefully I can beat them all before Infinite Wealth releases. If I will have some extra time, I will play Ishin Kiwami too in the meantime.

Last edited:
Daymare: 1994 Sandcastle is an amazing indie survival horror romp so far! So glad I got it for PS5! Highly recommended for its atmosphere, main character, gameplay, even the story is well told!

Can't bring myself to go much further in Alan Wake 2.

Had The Last of Us Part II sitting on the shelf, unopened, and the announcement of the remaster reignited my interest. Will be my first time playing it.

Starting tonight.

shaddam

Finished Chop goblins. I would call it a mini boomer shooter, because it is extremely short. My next dusk dev game problaby gonna be:

Getting to the end of Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana. What a fantastic game. It’s just what I needed. I already have Memories of Celceta ready to go. I can’t believe I waited so long to try this series.

I tried Wo Long for a few hours after being in the mood for Nioh. It’s Nioh, but a bad game. The AI companions are no fun. Returning this one to Amazon.

I tried Forspoken for a few hours. Good game, but the combat doesn’t feel good somehow. I have been playing on “hard” (I trusted the recommendation when the game starts), and I think that is the problem. I’ll set it back to normal and give it another go. Otherwise I think the game is pretty nice! I’m not sure why she left her sack of cash in a fire, though.

Been wanting to do Skyrim again. Grabbed the Anniversary upgrade in the Steam sale. I couldn’t decide between PS5 or PC. The lack of physical PS5 disc, no haptics, and obvious framerate drops made PC the final choice. Too bad the game doesn’t render at 4K on PC (or can it? It’s not an option).

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Also, played Mineko's Night Market with her too. It is a lovely little adventure game with tons to do. You solve a mystery, collect stuff, craft stuff, form friendships with local crowd. Has a silly mixture of Japanese and American cultures. It's set in fictional Japanese island but people talk like they are from an American cartoon. I'm playing it on Xbox but it feels like a perfect Switch kids game that adults can play and enjoy.
I've thinking about buying this. Had on it on my wishlist for years now.

Forgot that it finally released.

Currently playing Super Mario 3D World on Wii U. I've finished the game and am collecting the green stars in order to complete it. Currently at 238 stars.
I don't know, I really thought that I'd enjoy it way more, that I'd be the target audience. Turns out, I find it kinda boring. Not as nervous as a 2D Mario, not as epic as previous 3D Marios. Completion feels like a chore. Meh. But not bad enough to stop playing it. Play it if you don't mind being disappointed by a Mario game, some ideas are cool.

Meanwhile I'm playing The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons on GBC (emulated, and I'm glad I play on a computer screen because handhelds tend to break my neck). I loved Link's Awakening, and I'm happy to rediscover the gaming sensations from when I was a kid. But I find the game a bit underwhelming, maybe I'm just getting old. Anyway I'm pleased with it so far.

And RTTPing The Wonderful 101, on PC this time. Currently on a hiatus because I'm on Mario and Zelda but I plan to go back to it. That game kicks my ass but it's freaking awesome.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Few days ago I decided to replay Bloodborne again but this time I would properly do Chalice Dungeons the get last trophy and just recently finished with Defiled Chalice……..
what-the-fuck-wtf.gif

Cutting my health in half while putting me against that fucking Watch Dogs boss and Amygdala?

Mr Hyde

Few days ago I decided to replay Bloodborne again but this time I would properly do Chalice Dungeons the get last trophy and just recently finished with Defiled Chalice……..
what-the-fuck-wtf.gif

Cutting my health in half while putting me against that fucking Watch Dogs boss and Amygdala?

Watchdog is pretty easy if you're using Church Pick or Beast Cutter, keeping your distance and watch out for his rush attack. Amygdala however is a damn nightmare. Hardest boss on cursed chalices. Not even Ebrietas comes close.

Danjin44

Watchdog is pretty easy if you're using Church Pick or Beast Cutter, keeping your distance and watch out for his rush attack. Amygdala however is a damn nightmare. Hardest boss on cursed chalices. Not even Ebrietas comes close.
I beat that dog using Whirligig saw but with that fucking Amygdala I used Moonlight Sword to beat him, I used its range attacks to consistently hitting in the head to stagger him for V.attack but still he could one shot me because my health was cut in half…..I don't think even Kos give me this much trouble.

Mr Hyde

I beat that dog using Whirligig saw but with that fucking Amygdala I used Moonlight Sword to beat him, I used its range attacks to consistently hitting in the head to stagger him for V.attack but still he could one shot me because my health was cut in half…..I don't think even Kos give me this much trouble.

Imagine facing Orphan down in the cursed chalices.

Jason Bateman No GIF by Emmys

adamsapple

About to start Immortals of Aveum. The developer message at the title screen is kinda prophetic (in a bad way lol) knowing how the game has done since launch in August.

QhQAInE.png

Last edited:
Completed Mario Wonder today. Good game, nothing too mindblowing though. Sam, same, but different, but still same.

Now back to Starfield. Done with all the factions now and hence back to the main quest. Hope I can finish that turd this weekend. I‘ve lost all hope for Bethesda. No more anticipation for the next TES because I doubt there’ll be anything unique about it. Just some more random generated stuff.

simpatico

Hopped on the Diablo 4 trial. Zero intentions of playing endgame. Have enjoyed many looters just for the "campaign" and zero MP. Blazed through the 20 levels on the trial and instantly bought it. Sweet ass ARPG for $40. Not hitting my head on any bad stuff. They ask for money for cosmetics a lot in the menus. They won't get any of mine, but that's really the only annoying thing I've bumped. The art is fantastic. Best aspect of the game. 15 hours in and the story is pretty cool. The opening cutscene is one of the best I've ever seen. So far it's a simple story about hunting a demon and not much else, but that's kinda perfect for me in a game like this. The overall visual presentation is just fantastic. I get pretty hype anytime I hit a new biome. Playing Druid and liking the character.

Maybe the end game does suck, but I'm not looking for a game to become a full time job or lifestyle. I've playing Diablo 3, Destiny 2 and both Divisions, never touched the end game, and consider them all good games. If I can get 50 hours with the quality I'm experiencing now I'll see it as a win.

Last edited:

adamsapple

The price of an (arguably) good 60 FPS mode on console(s) with UE5.

The issue is that it sacrifices so much in IQ that any improvements that UE5 would bring are hard to notice in the first place.

This doesn't look / feel that much different from Godfall but a lot more blurrier.

Comparatively, Robocop (another UE5 game with the bells and whistles) looks so much better as a showpiece for the tech.

Last edited:
WotLK Classic - the catchup system has me hooked. I don't even raid and my gear score is up to 5.5k. Less than a week away from having enough frost emblems for 4 piece T10.

The price of an (arguably) good 60 FPS mode on console(s) with UE5.

The issue is that it sacrifices so much in IQ that any improvements that UE5 would bring are hard to notice in the first place.

This doesn't look / feel that much different from Godfall but a lot more blurrier.

Comparatively, Robocop (another UE5 game with the bells and whistles) looks so much better as a showpiece for the tech.

Robocop is the only UE5 game that truly delivers on console imo. Exactly what you stated. The iq is too poor in all the other UE5 games on console.

Been playing Super Mario Wonder this weekend.

It’s 2D Mario alright. Nothing too mindblowing. Good game though. Thankfully the upped the difficulty a bit. Last Mario I played was the one on the 3DS anf my mom could have besten that game with her eyes closed.

Wonder's a LOT easier than the previous ones. I just played NSMBU deluxe right before Wonder and wonder is a joke in difficulty. No timers, they let you carry an extra power up at all times, different badge etc. Even without the badges it's easy aside from a handful of levels.

Planned on getting Callisto Protocol to play through, but Trepang 2 slid into it, and shotgunned that idea to death.

So…Trepang 2. Love letter to FEAR, and damn is it sublime. Step aside Dusk, Amid Evil, and all you others. Trepang is on another level.

Hmm...I brushed that aside thinking it was another multiplayer extraction type fps .. now you have my attention

Danjin44

Beat Queen Yharnam and FINALLY got my platinum trophy. I always ignored the whole Chalice Dungeons part of Bloodborne but that was big mistake....LOTS OF new enemies and bosses that you never encounter in the main game and exclusive to Chalice dungeons.

Still have MUCH harder time with Amygdala in curse Chalice compare to Queen Yharnam.

Last edited:

AJBungah

Neo Member
I'm retrying Hogwarts Legacy at the moment. I stopped playing when it first came out around when you first unlock talent points and are hit with a wall of "tasks" from almost every professor in existence which made me recoil from busy work and not look back until now.

I'm now past this point in a new playthrough and having a lot of fun making my character look as ridiculous as possible so that every serious story cutscene is unintentionally hilarious.

The game is absolutely gorgeous (im playing on PS5 fidelity ray tracing mode) especially now the season has changed to autumn. I don't know why they started the game off in the season they did, it was so godamn dreary.

I'm a little put off by the sheer scale of the open world and think I will just stick to the main story soon.

Ultra Donny

Dead space remake, like it alot and very good graphics.

Cocoon, mind blowing.

Just finished Resident evil 4 remake. Fun but extremely overrated. The beginning of the game is the best part. The remaining 2/3 is a downhill ride.

King Dazzar

Picked up RE4 on PS5 during BF sale. I'm so glad its much better than the demo. The aiming controls, the fidelity of the image (performance mode) are all much improved. Though I'm finishing off Far Cry 5 again on XSX first before getting into RE4 fully. FC5 on XSX is superb, but if you do want to revisit, I've found its best to avoid using Quick Resume as it can cause occasional traversal stutter.

I also completed RDR on PS5. Great game of course, though mechanically some of it is starting to show its age.

Revisited Dead Island 2 too on PS5, which is further improved for me since launch. Will be playing that again along side RE4 after FC5.

Oh and I did revisit Bioshock Infinite on XSX with Auto HDR. It feels and looks very dated now....

Last edited:

Synless

Wonder's a LOT easier than the previous ones. I just played NSMBU deluxe right before Wonder and wonder is a joke in difficulty. No timers, they let you carry an extra power up at all times, different badge etc. Even without the badges it's easy aside from a handful of levels.
NSMBU Deluxe is a better game overall.

Top Bottom