• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Really? Maybe i should give it a try. Do you play with wheel of controller?
I play it with a controller, but I’m seriously trying to resist getting a wheel.

I don’t usually play sim racers, Forza Horizon has always been more my thing, but this one really has its hooks in me. I’m looking to get GT7 now if it’s on sale, partly to compare, but also because I think this might be a new thing for me…

The driving is phenomenal and the feeling of accomplishment as I’m getting better is immense. When I started I couldn’t imagine ever doing a clean lap - now it’s not quite the norm yet, but it’s happening more often than it’s not.

I understand some people have experienced some bugs, but I haven’t seen any in 30+ hours (I’ve played almost entirely on Series X, with a few hours on PC Gamepass through GeForce Now). Other than bugs though, I think the negative reaction has been massively overblown… Looks great, plays great and seems to deliver on the promised premise of being a racing ‘platform’ that they can build on from here…

Try it on GamePass first. While the handling was great, the tracks put me to sleep and the structure of campaign and car leveling felt like a slog.
This is a genuine question... Aren't the tracks the tracks? What am I missing there? They are some pretty big names, and I haven't heard anyone say they are inaccurate? I guess if track racers aren't your thing I can see it, but it seems a harsh criticism - and like I said, track racers weren't my thing either, but I've been converted.

But yes, definitely try it on Gamepass if possible - that's what I did. Ended up buying the add ons DLC.

Playing Family Feud on Switch online.

Either losing because I actually stay or having people leave when they're losing.

The game has a shortcut typing mode by default. If you type the first two letters and it's a correct answer it WILL be one of the four auto complete answers it gives you. So if you type Ball and after Ba it's not selectable you know it's not up there. Kinda sucks.

I liked it more on PS4 and played the computer with that turned off. You have to type like a madman with the controller for some answers but I have been navigating text menus since NES so...

I made this post because I'm annoyed I lost. Time to go fap or something.

Totally agree. I want to stop playing but I'm like ive come this far I might as well carry on lol

The sidequests finally pay off at the end, and it probably has the best story in FF since X. If it had FF7R combat or a more traditional turn based/ATB system with a party and actual RPG elements it could have been a GOTY contender. But I think it’s just a pretty good game and nothing too special.

Fess

Still mainly playing Starfield on PC. I know it’s not popular here but I love it. 80 hours on my first playthrough then maybe 2 hours on NG+ which I didn’t like. The other 120 hours or so are on my 2nd playthrough where I’ve still only done 1 main quest. I think it’s awesome that I’m even allowed to do my own thing like that for so long. I did the ranger faction though but the rest is mostly side content and base and ship building and exploring and raiding etc. Found some new beastly shotguns last night, gonna try those out today, and keep searching for an awesome planet I found in my first playthrough but don’t know the name on.

Started another playthrough on Elden Ring as well on Steam Deck. Classic Astrologer build. Migyt restart with a sword build when I get the OLED. Magic is fun but I loved using the Bloodhound’s Fang, just want something else that is a bit special this time, no OP weapon but something cool.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder gets played occasionally too, not a huge fan tbh but the kids love it so I play it with them.

Other than that I’m not really playing anything else.

Might start BG3 over Christmas, would be fun to have at least started it when the GAF GOTY voting starts so I understand the talk.

Interested in Spider-Man 2 over Christmas as well but I think I’ll wait on the PC release this time, possibly start it when PS5 Pro comes out if that comes first and if there is a decent upgrade.

Yumi

Beat Ori and the Blind Forest, then beat it again on hard with no upgrades. I thought it was amazing.

4 hours into Ori Will of the Wisps. Not as fond of it as The Blind Forest, but still enjoying it. I feel less like “Ori” in this one if that makes sense.

Playing Mass Effect 1 as well, and that game still holds up. Crazy nostalgia burst when in the planet select screen, listening to the music and reading about planets. Combat is pretty good too with mouse and keyboard on Veteran difficulty.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Beat Ori and the Blind Forest, then beat it again on hard with no upgrades. I thought it was amazing.

4 hours into Ori Will of the Wisps. Not as fond of it as The Blind Forest, but still enjoying it. I feel less like “Ori” in this one if that makes sense.

Playing Mass Effect 1 as well, and that game still holds up. Crazy nostalgia burst when in the planet select screen, listening to the music and reading about planets. Combat is pretty good too with mouse and keyboard on Veteran difficulty.
Will of the Wisps is even better than Blind Forest.

You may have played too much Ori in a short time, perhaps. Another game (a break) might be helpful in this case. But the sequel really is fantastic.

Cynical_Aries

Gold Member
After finishing RoboCop (Recommend you play it), just started Lifeless Planet and its perfect for when you just want to chill out in between the larger titles.

stn

MOTHER FUCKER I FINALLY BEAT LIES OF P. THAT LAST CHAPTER TOOK ME 5-10 HOURS ON JUST THE FIRST BOSS, FUCK THAT. AFTER BEAT THAT PIECE OF SHIT I CRUISED THROUGH THE REST OF THE GAME. SUCK MY DICK LIES OF P!!!!!

So much stress released now lol. Spider-Man 2 (PS5) is next.

It feels a bit less like the first, but in good ways. It's one of the best metroidvanias I've ever played. Up there with Hollow Knight, SOTN, and IMO better than Super Metroid. It might take a little while longer to sink in while you get used to the new moveset.

You may have played too much Ori in a short time, perhaps. Another game (a break) might be helpful in this case. But the sequel really is fantastic.

It might be overload but they are pretty short games. Might just need to settle in with expectations, it's not going to play just like the first (in a good way).

Been playing Super Mario Wonder this weekend.

It’s 2D Mario alright. Nothing too mindblowing. Good game though. Thankfully the upped the difficulty a bit. Last Mario I played was the one on the 3DS anf my mom could have besten that game with her eyes closed.

Yumi

It feels a bit less like the first, but in good ways. It's one of the best metroidvanias I've ever played. Up there with Hollow Knight, SOTN, and IMO better than Super Metroid. It might take a little while longer to sink in while you get used to the new moveset.

It might be overload but they are pretty short games. Might just need to settle in with expectations, it's not going to play just like the first (in a good way).

I hear you guys. I plan on beating it and will post my final impressions then. Just cleared the water, and I’m enjoying it more now then when I started.

Found Wo Long Fallen Dynasty on sale. Played about four hours and it’s just not good. It’s basically Nioh, but with poor performance, forgettable music, AI teammates, terrible voice acting, and poor story. Hell, the entire first act is a direct copy of Nioh (fight a big dude who turns into a demon, kill him, an evil guy appears and steals your spirit companion, you get knocked out into water, and you are rescued).

I really hope their next game isn’t anything like this.

Back to Ys VIII…

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Super Mario RPG, this my first experience with the game and loving it! it has some quickly charm to it, is very different than any other Mario games I played.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Man, between it and Marvel's Spider-Man 2, Mario Wonder is definitely the stronger game in my eyes. It's more lean and doesn't have an ounce of fat on it; no sidequests or slow story missions where you just hold forward and listen to two characters talk to each other. Spider-Man 2 tries a little too hard at times to be "cinematic", but Mario Wonder remembers it's a video game and never tries to be a movie.

I'm playing Pac 'n Roll remix on Pac-Man Museum+ on Steam Deck. I never played the DS game or the Wii version. This game gets hard! I'll tackle the rest of it tomorrow.

Found Wo Long Fallen Dynasty on sale. Played about four hours and it’s just not good. It’s basically Nioh, but with poor performance, forgettable music, AI teammates, terrible voice acting, and poor story. Hell, the entire first act is a direct copy of Nioh (fight a big dude who turns into a demon, kill him, an evil guy appears and steals your spirit companion, you get knocked out into water, and you are rescued).

I really hope their next game isn’t anything like this.

Back to Ys VIII…
I needed to install Wo Long on a NVME SSD and use an effect disabling mod to make it run decent. Playing it in Cantonese gave the best audio presentation. It is deriviative, but there is some genuinely cool stuff there with flag checkpoints removing enemy respawns, refilling health drinks, healing AI, and replenishing health. Also, since magic and martial arts are tied to stamina there is less resource management. I think Nioh 2 is better as a game, but there is some appeal in conquering maps in this game little by little. My main complaints involve lackluster magic, enemy difficulty gap being tied to morale rank, and overreliance on parry step as a boss battle mechanic.

MOTHER FUCKER I FINALLY BEAT LIES OF P. THAT LAST CHAPTER TOOK ME 5-10 HOURS ON JUST THE FIRST BOSS, FUCK THAT. AFTER BEAT THAT PIECE OF SHIT I CRUISED THROUGH THE REST OF THE GAME. SUCK MY DICK LIES OF P!!!!!

So much stress released now lol. Spider-Man 2 (PS5) is next.
You were stuck on the Door Guardian? Sorry for giving you a strategy for the subsequent bosses...

This is a genuine question... Aren't the tracks the tracks? What am I missing there?
To me there is a lack of visual variety as most of the track layouts could be reproduced with a simple editor on a single map type. I have played some track racers before and they had numerous visually distinct tracks in addition to the usual suspects.

Last edited:

reektann

Like a Dragon Gaiden on series x.

This is my 12th game in the series (including judgement) and it is really great so far. There have been some little cameos and call backs to things that have happened throughout the series.

Also it’s the first one using HDR and it’s some of the the most accurate I have seen. Sotenbori looks really amazing lit up at night and all the signs really pop. The way they dole out side quests is different than usual too so there are some nice little changes.

I am really enjoying my time with it and doing all the side stuff as usual as you find some really great/funny side quests.

It’s crazy that in another couple of months we get another one.

LimanimaPT

I'm playing Skyrim VR.
This is another good example that when developers invest the time and money into VR they can produce fantastic games.
This is the game that made me say more "wows" while playing it. Some locations are jaw dropping, I'm always getting surprised. When I think I've seen everything, another setting comes and I'm again saying "wow, look at this".
And note that I'm playing this on a PS4 with that shity image quality. How would this look like in next gen hardware?

I can't understand why there isn't a Dead Space VR version already.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
60 hours in ToTK
just got the 5 locks on the storm wind ark
i feel like i'm moving slow but whatever im not interested in rushing. other than that tried the new courses released for mario kart :messenger_fire::messenger_fire:

Dazraell

I just finished Alan Wake II, absolutely loved it

I'm currently juggling between playing Spider-Man 2 and God of War II. I've passed introduction to Harry on SM2, and reached the Bog of the Forgotten area on God of War II

Bungie

Jusant. One of those games that I never would of bought because I'd be unsure if I'd really like it but it's why I still pay for gamepass because gives me beautiful experiences I'd never would have known.

One of those games that I never would of bought because I'd be unsure if I'd really like it
This is what makes PC and Steam worthwhile. Every game comes with a two-hour demo. Unknown games on console come with hesitation or regret. PC games have no barrier of entry, on top of lower cost and free online functionality.

(I still prefer consoles overall)

stn

You were stuck on the Door Guardian? Sorry for giving you a strategy for the subsequent bosses...
It took me so long to finish that chapter that I forgot about the guardian. No, I was stuck on Laxasia. My weapon was a bit under-leveled though so some of the fault was mine.

sedg87

Hogwarts Legacy
Just been doing a few of the side quests because I have absolutely loads of them.

Resident Evil Director's Cut
Despite this being one of my favourite games of all time, I have never really played through advanced mode. Popping a zombie's head with the handgun is really satisfying.

I've been messing around with Surviving the Aftermath, not that far in. But it's free right now, for anyone that likes these rts type survival games.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Coral Island like a house wife gamer. Gonna speed walk through the neighborhood later and gossip with the gals about the dreamy new mail man.

Duchess

Just at the end of Shantae and the Seven Sirens.

Final boss is an absolute damage sponge (playing on definitive difficulty here), but otherwise I've loved the game. It's quite lighthearted and pretty funny.

Beat Link's Awakening for the Switch. Simple and enjoyable game all around, generally almost always made sense as far as where to go next, though I used the telephone hut a couple of times when it wasn't super clear.. But a fun game, though not very challenging in terms of puzzles or combat, but that's alright really.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Heh, welcome to Sony first party games. Personally I love it. Aloy can narrate the scene to me all day. Give me some humorous color commentary Ellie. More.
Talkative characters are fine, but he keeps giving advice about those silly puzzles. If you don't trust the player, just don't include puzzles at all. I thought they fixed this with a patch, but it's still the same. I saw an option to extend puzzle-solving time; maybe that could help.

GametimeUK

I just finished The Order 1886.

So I've been wanting to make my own mind up about this game for a while now. All I ever read online is how the game is too short, does not have enough gameplay and didn't justify the price tag.

We are years removed from the launch and I can have a nice fresh lense and lowered expectations. Too many games these days have bloated campaigns with long playtimes, open worlds, side quests, skill trees, RPG mechanics, armour sets, side quests etc...

but The Order 1886 is such a simplistic corridor shooter I absolutely enjoyed my time with it. I went in wanting a short interactive walking sim / shooter and was pleasantly surprised.

Cool world, incredible weapons, decent story, short playtime, no bloat. It's just a nice short game and it's such a joy to experience a game like this.

8/10

bender

What time is it?
Played a few co-op games today with my buddy:

Gotham Knights - The game is made for screenshots as it looks nice but the animations in the game are atrocious. Everything about the game feels horrible (the horrible mid-air pause when using your grappling hook, riding your bike feels like you aren't moving at all, the terrible hunched-over run cycles of your characters when they are at your home base, etc.). The game sucks but at least streaming was an option over downloading.

Bloodborne - Returning to either Bloodborne or Demon Souls always makes me consider them my favorite of From's efforts. This time around is no exception. Just a masterwork.

I've also come back to Spelunky after a few years off. I'm a little rusty but did clear the daily challenge a few days back. It's as wondaful as ever.

Top Bottom