• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Beat Queen Yharnam and FINALLY got my platinum trophy. I always ignored the whole Chalice Dungeons part of Bloodborne but that was big mistake....LOTS OF new enemies and bosses that you never encounter in the main game and exclusive to Chalice dungeons.

Still have MUCH harder time with Amygdala in curse Chalice compare to Queen Yharnam.

Congrats amigo, well earned. Defiled chalice was absolute torture - never again.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Playing this game called Qube 2, it’s a fun puzzle game. Not nearly as difficult as others I’ve played, but has a story to it and it’s fun. I’m a sucker for puzzle games.

sedg87

World of Warcraft Classic
Feeling nostalgic for a bit of wow so decided to sub for a month. Got my human rogue to level 19 and I'm currently finishing up quests in Darkshore before moving into Ashenvale.

Hogwarts Legacy
Mopping up a lot of the sidequests I have.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Picked up RE4 on PS5 during BF sale. I'm so glad its much better than the demo. The aiming controls, the fidelity of the image (performance mode) are all much improved. Though I'm finishing off Far Cry 5 again on XSX first before getting into RE4 fully. FC5 on XSX is superb, but if you do want to revisit, I've found its best to avoid using Quick Resume as it can cause occasional traversal stutter.

I also completed RDR on PS5. Great game of course, though mechanically some of it is starting to show its age.

Revisited Dead Island 2 too on PS5, which is further improved for me since launch. Will be playing that again along side RE4 after FC5.

Oh and I did revisit Bioshock Infinite on XSX with Auto HDR. It feels and looks very dated now....

As someone who has both versions, I would have recommended the SX version of RE4R. They (mostly) fixed the deadzone issue from the demo and IQ is much better. The PS5 versions funky checker-boarding, though better from the demo, is still notably blurrier.

But, it is a fantastic game (and my personal GoTY) regardless of how you play it.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
bDYxCW.png

Final%20Fantasy%20VI.jpg

Pseudoregalia is a lot of fun and does SO many things better than bigger budget games.

Never played FFVI and juuuust started. Really intriguing start. Looking forward to where this goes.

King Dazzar

As someone who has both versions, I would have recommended the SX version of RE4R. They (mostly) fixed the deadzone issue from the demo and IQ is much better. The PS5 versions funky checker-boarding, though better from the demo, is still notably blurrier.

But, it is a fantastic game (and my personal GoTY) regardless of how you play it.
Good to know. But whilst I love my new Elite Series 2 which I've customised further, which is great for older gen games like FC5. Ultimately I prefer the haptics and adaptive triggers for newer titles. So unfortunately, in this case the PS5 gets the buy.

sedg87

World of Warcraft Classic
Got my Rogue to level to 21 and decided to call it quits. Leveling is just tedious and dull.

Resident Evil Director's Cut
Beat Plant 42 and have just arrived back in the mansion.

Dazraell

I just finished Max Payne 3 on Steam Deck.

Overall, I loved it. Story was great, James McCaffrey's portrayal as Max was the highlight for me, similarly as outstanding soundtrack which works in a perfect synergy with game's themes and narrative. "Tears" song by Health was amazing and equally impactful as "Late Goodbye" from Max Payne 2.

Rockstar has nailed action and combat, but I think some of their design choices made the game feel a bit disconnected from the trilogy. Set pieces looked great, but most of them felt way too small, almost corridor-like, which made combat really odd. I had several times where I tried to dive while shooting, fell off and died just because of not having enough space.

I also had some gripes with limited exploration and constant urgency where either Max was nagging to move forward or characters were outright yelling for just trying to stray from the main path and looking for secrets. The game could really use more of secret areas and easter eggs, although some were really good - especially the recurring piano easter egg with its amazing symbolism.

I enjoyed the presentation, but I felt Rockstar relayed on cutscenes a bit too much - a lot of moments would work more effectively if they would be a part of gameplay, plus way too often cutscenes took me from the room I was meaning to explore just because I went way too close to area which triggered the cutscene.

Despite these gripes, I think Max Payne 3 is a very solid game, one of the better action games available on the market.

As for other games I've been currently playing:

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith on PS2 - I've played this game so many times when I was younger and I was curious how it holds up. It's a mid game on par with most of movie tie-ins released during PS2 era, but quite enjoyable to play while listening podcasts or watching TV series. I'm making progress on Mustafar levels, so I'm quite close to the end.

Spider-Man 2 on PS5 - unfortunately it didn't landed for me as I thought it will. It's definitely the most refined game in the series, but at a same time it feels a bit too safe and same'y. I'm about halfway in the game and there were some things I liked, and some things that I felt dragged the game down. When the game gets in its highest moments, it definitely delivers. But it's a shame that these moments were very rare, at least based on portions of the game I've played. So far I much enjoyed the first Spider-Man over its sequel.

MagnesD3

Last week I finally finished my current goals with with Monster Train beating 25 cov with all the clans and beating the final boss with all clan combinations, I love it but its taken up a month of my gaming at 165 hours so im ready to move on.

So I started Astro Bot, its been really fun and interesting, ive let out audible woahs and laughs a couple times now at the charm and the way VR interacts mechanically with a 3D platformer, its definitely a great game but my biggest hurdles with it are constantly having to readjust my headset for blurriness, the headsets cable and taking eye breaks every 30 mins, it makes what should be a relaxing experience way less so but I still acknowledge how what its doing is, its just VR seems like quite aways away before its minamally invasive enough to overtake playing without VR. Definitely gonna 100% it tho.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Currently playing Blasphemous 2.

I'm sort of indifferent to it. It's good, but I could easily drop it and not feel bad. Don't love it, don't hate it.
I loved blasphemous 1. I dropped B2 after I beat the main bosses where you have all the weapons unlocked. I’m now supposed to climb the place that was lowered. Idk how far that is. 1/3rd ?

Dropped it. Something about B2 misses the hook that B1 had where I couldn’t put it down.

sedg87

Are you doing a Chris or Jill run? I was regretting doing a Chris run when I entered the tunnels a month ago due to limited inventory space.

Jill. If I've beaten the game fifty times, I've probably only played as Chris twice. Like you say, it's the limited inventory space that sucks. Oh, and the small keys.

Duchess

Dropped it. Something about B2 misses the hook that B1 had where I couldn’t put it down.
I didn't play the first game, but I definitely get the sense that there's something missing from the package; it doesn't really give me much of a reason to keep playing. I'll see how far I get before I decide I've had enough.

Paltheos

Huh, what a coincidence. I'm playing Blasphemous 1 now. Good game. It's one of those titles that makes you acutely aware that game journalists weight their scores like mad. I think it really does deserve its <80 metascore, but that score makes no sense in the hyperinflated ratings of the many games that are worse than it is.

I just entered the main cathedral after receiving the blessings or w/e of the three visages. Nothing so far has topped the first five minutes of the game where I joked again about the cone head helmets right before the main character proceeded to demonstrate why that is (it was fucking metal). Otherwise really thoughtful, in that way Soulslikes are usually written. Game succeeds at fitting itself into the genre without also feeling like a ripoff, thanks to how hard it commits to the Catholic motif. Great visual design although some parts of the levels do feel a little silly (why are there so many poison gas clouds and toxic liquids pouring from so many city pipes?). Game is hard, usually, without being overwhelming. Should be able to finish in the next couple days. I'll see how it lands.

Deanington

Kind of going back and forth with MTG Arena and Cyberpunk. When work allows at least, which is getting slow now because of weather, so thats nice.

Blindy

I just got the platinum for Spider Man 2 and also beat Jusant. Not sure what to do next. Might start Raging Loop or get back into FFXVI/Lies of P. Cocoon is a short game so might play that too.

Last edited:

stn

I beat Spider-Man 2 (PS5) over the weekend, it was good. Next up is Wanted: Dead (XSX), which I am very close to beating finally.

Mayhem 3D

Had an itch for some driving/racing. Its pretty neat. Digging the Destruction derby meets Sin city comicbook vibe its got going. Soundtrack is not half bad either.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Just finished Like a Dragon Gaiden which was a lot of fun and now back to fighting the Ice Worm in Armored Core 6 which is a lot of stress.

Looking forward to Super Mario Wonder or Pikmin 4 next.

reektann

Sea of Stars on Switch. Looks crazy on the OLED and the animation is something else. I’m spending way too much time playing Wheels whilst vibing with the pirate band. Incredible folk style versions of tracks they play from the game. Headphones recommended.

Cyberpunk 2077 on PC. Replaying since I played through back 3 years ago - main reason was to refresh myself into Phantom Liberty but I’ve ended up really into it again. The writing and conversational scenes make Starfield seem like a bit of a joke when I look back now.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Currently in that depression phase of trying to find something to reel me in and having an existentialism conflict.

Debating getting good at Age of Empires 2 DE, or being a nut job to try League of Legends again…. playing Valorant regularly right now.

Only dabbled a bit but highly recommend Death Must Die.

adamsapple

Started UFC5 career mode. I always have a soft spot for wrestling/fighting games like this which have a proper career mode with voice acting and a narrative.

I just finished Max Payne 3 on Steam Deck.

Overall, I loved it. Story was great, James McCaffrey's portrayal as Max was the highlight for me, similarly as outstanding soundtrack which works in a perfect synergy with game's themes and narrative. "Tears" song by Health was amazing and equally impactful as "Late Goodbye" from Max Payne 2.

Rockstar has nailed action and combat, but I think some of their design choices made the game feel a bit disconnected from the trilogy. Set pieces looked great, but most of them felt way too small, almost corridor-like, which made combat really odd. I had several times where I tried to dive while shooting, fell off and died just because of not having enough space.

I also had some gripes with limited exploration and constant urgency where either Max was nagging to move forward or characters were outright yelling for just trying to stray from the main path and looking for secrets. The game could really use more of secret areas and easter eggs, although some were really good - especially the recurring piano easter egg with its amazing symbolism.

I enjoyed the presentation, but I felt Rockstar relayed on cutscenes a bit too much - a lot of moments would work more effectively if they would be a part of gameplay, plus way too often cutscenes took me from the room I was meaning to explore just because I went way too close to area which triggered the cutscene.

Despite these gripes, I think Max Payne 3 is a very solid game, one of the better action games available on the market.

As for other games I've been currently playing:

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith on PS2 - I've played this game so many times when I was younger and I was curious how it holds up. It's a mid game on par with most of movie tie-ins released during PS2 era, but quite enjoyable to play while listening podcasts or watching TV series. I'm making progress on Mustafar levels, so I'm quite close to the end.

Spider-Man 2 on PS5 - unfortunately it didn't landed for me as I thought it will. It's definitely the most refined game in the series, but at a same time it feels a bit too safe and same'y. I'm about halfway in the game and there were some things I liked, and some things that I felt dragged the game down. When the game gets in its highest moments, it definitely delivers. But it's a shame that these moments were very rare, at least based on portions of the game I've played. So far I much enjoyed the first Spider-Man over its sequel.

I'm so bummed MP3 got 60 fps patch but not 4k on Xbox. Game could've looked phenomenal but the iq is pretty terrible as it stands.

Spiderman 2- I think they made the gadgets too overpowered in the game which trivializes combat to a degree.

I beat Spider-Man 2 (PS5) over the weekend, it was good. Next up is Wanted: Dead (XSX), which I am very close to beating finally.

You think Wanted: Dead is worth picking up digitally on ps5 for $24?

I've heard the combat is great when you get to grips with some hidden mechanics ...

PS- been playing Robocop- finally a game that shows what UE5 is capable of..it's VERY AA in all areas tho; Started Age of Empires 4, LaD: Gaiden, Spiderman 2

Recently went back and played The Order. Looks better than 99% of games from this gen. The developers involved with crafting the presentation of that game have to be the best in the industry. For a 2015 game? Rediculous. I can't forgive Sony for disbanding this studio and not greenlighting a a sequel. If the graphics and sound design artists are not working on other AAA games that would be a travesty.

I’m playing Xenoblade 2 and just had something absurd happen and it completely deflated my interest. I reached a point where some people try to arrest me. I am surprised and surrounded. I try to fight my way out, but lose. The game dumps me back to the previous checkpoint, but with the “objective” to defeat those people. Uh… I’m outside of town now and could just… run away? So, I have to do the insane thing and run across town to the spot where I was jumped, then intentionally fight my captors (who are conveniently just standing around waiting for me).

I don’t need my games to be completely realistic, but this just shattered all immersion. Most games would offer a retry option or at least revert you to the point prior to the cutscene and battle. This is totally bizarre.

Also, the games dynamic range fluctuations are maddening. During cutscenes, the screen is constantly going dark and light as the camera moves.

I am at the (seemingl) final battle of Ys VIII. This is how a game should be made. I should just go with my gut and follow it up with Memories of Celceta or Trails of Cold Steel. This game put other JRPGs to shame.

Last edited:
Started UFC5 career mode. I always have a soft spot for wrestling/fighting games like this which have a proper career mode with voice acting and a narrative.
How is it? Is it a lot of social media crap like 3? Are the combos more satisfying to do in terms of responsiveness and impact?

adamsapple

How is it? Is it a lot of social media crap like 3? Are the combos more satisfying to do in terms of responsiveness and impact?

Just starting. Off the bat, I appreciate that it has the option for simplified controls. Career mode has less social media stuff so far (just barely started).

Character creation could have used a bit more options though. Very hard to make a feminine looking female player.

stn

You think Wanted: Dead is worth picking up digitally on ps5 for $24?
I personally would, but keep in mind I just love action games and have a huge tolerance for jank. The game has a TON of jank and I can very easily see why some sites scored lower. The difficulty is maddening at times and it has a bunch of issues. I am still really enjoying it though but, again, I am biased because I love action games. I bought the special edition on release and have zero regrets.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Started Super Mario Wonder. I'm enjoying it, but something about basic platformers like Super Mario, they aren't fulfilling enough for me to play them as my only games. It's really the only genre I'm like that with. I usually always only play one game at a time. I don't like having to adjust my muscle memory with controls and whatnot. But 2D Mario games to me aren't nearly as fulfilling these days though they are fun. I prefer games like Odyssey that have way more content in them and a bit of exploration and stuff.

adamsapple

NeverYouMind NeverYouMind To your earlier question, now that I've played a bit more. The social media aspect is way reduced. They have a "Longevity" meter (I don't recall if it was in the last game) which depletes a certain amount after every fight (depending on how much you got dinged up) and it's basically like a retirement meter. If you want to become a GOAT, there's a checklist of things you must do before it runs out (like win 20 fights, become UFC champion, earn x number of million $ as prize money etc).

-

You know what.

This game is a-ok. The sports-broadcast style presentation is the best in the franchise so far and the hits feel crunchy as fuuuuck.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Control series x. Clunky but lovely 80s atmosphere - David Lynch, Stephen King (Dead Zone, Firestarter), the Shining...

Force Unleashed (never finished it on 360), now rebought digital on seres x because the disc had a crack in the transparent part and I fear it could break inside the drive. Gameplay gets more fun the more you play.

Also playing it in parallel on the Vita. It's a slightly different game.

Gran Turismo 6 on ps3

Finally just started Life on Mars, new indie game, on the Sega Mega Drive. It's like metroid in a way. Fun but some grinding in order to raise money to upgrade weapons and shields.

I personally would, but keep in mind I just love action games and have a huge tolerance for jank. The game has a TON of jank and I can very easily see why some sites scored lower. The difficulty is maddening at times and it has a bunch of issues. I am still really enjoying it though but, again, I am biased because I love action games. I bought the special edition on release and have zero regrets.

Appreciate it

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Sea of Stars on Switch. Looks crazy on the OLED and the animation is something else. I’m spending way too much time playing Wheels whilst vibing with the pirate band. Incredible folk style versions of tracks they play from the game. Headphones recommended.

Cyberpunk 2077 on PC. Replaying since I played through back 3 years ago - main reason was to refresh myself into Phantom Liberty but I’ve ended up really into it again. The writing and conversational scenes make Starfield seem like a bit of a joke when I look back now.

I wish they added more content to the Wheels Minigame. Had so much fun with it

Labolas

Nabbed Onechanbara Z2 Chaos while it was on sale. Great fanservice and boy there are a lot of mechanics in this. One problem I have with this and it's not even much of a problem but the game doesn't really do a good job in teaching you the mechanics in the game. From the hour or so I've played this you'll get stuff like character switching, weapon switching, finishers, super moves, super mode, even more powerful super mode, aerial raves or air combos, a dodge, ecstasy moves, timed button sequences, and qtes. And that's in the first hour. You get more moves, rings, and weapons as well. A lot of mechanics to dibbed into for sure. I think Onchanbara Origins does some things better than Z2 Chaos but the sheer amount of mechanics you get is absolutely nuts.

adamsapple

I have a massive hankering to play Phantom Pain again, but of course it is not on sale anywhere digitally right now.

The "complete" version was on sale for $3.99 on PSN a few weeks ago.

Sigh.

editt: Have the PC version, just wanted to play it on console.

Last edited:
Top Bottom