• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Gandih42

Finished The Witness a few days ago. Some of those last puzzles really fried my brain good (pro-tip: don't stay up to 2 AM wracking your brain against a timed puzzle-gauntlet) but I must say that I really loved the game. Considering how many puzzles there are, a surprisingly low number of them got frustrating. I still might go back to it a bit more to collect all the "videos" and do a few more of the post-game puzzles. Whatever "story" you might say it has is certainly obnoxious in many ways, but I kinda dig the spirit of it. Sort of a:

Goldberg Variations on the feeling of "Eureka!"

Cool stuff.

Otherwise, it's back to more SMT V:V. I feel like I've almost gotten my Godborne team ready to go - next session I'll probably finished my first CoC playthrough and move on to my 3rd cycle. I might just do a "Law" CoV run before I switch to Godborne so I can get some specific Essences for a Nahobino build I want to try, and get my team closer to 150 for Godborne.

Then on Friday I'm finally cracking open Space Marine 2 with a buddy who's really into the miniatures. It's been sitting temptingly on my desk for over a week now.

Finished 13 Sentinels just in time before it left PS+! Holy shit guys.

Yooo Wow GIF by Reaction GIFs

Awesome story, and I actually really enjoyed the battles. Lots to unpack, but wow, this one totally flew under the radar.

tumblr-n6tdfuc3ow1tn7e6io1-r1-500_orig.gif

Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

Jurassic Park Dancing GIF by Spotify

Happy Always Sunny GIF

engstra

Yeah same disappointment for me.
The story that was so interesting in Zero Dawn has been replaced with a very weak one to appeal to Gen Z and "broader audience". All characters have become a caricature and the story was completely stupid.
The combat also was a huge letdown. Too many weapons & ammo and the whole system went to a confusing pile of crap where it was perfect on the first title.
They also introduced lame & unneeded changes that made the fights completely frustrating & unbalanced like now Aloy knocked down for 10 seconds everytime you take a hit, made me want to throw my controller everytime lmao.
I'm not sure what's meant to particularly appeal to Gen Z in there but story is just so convoluted. Basically fighting against an alien invasion.

It's weird how they overcomplicated the weapon system so much. Like what's wrong with putting in some missions where you get introduced to new weapons, forcing you to use them?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Played through Observer: System Redux over the weekend.

It's .. fine. Probably Bloober's most competent game I've played yet. But it had some glaring issues.

The game can get a little too visually busy, like continuous segments of a lot of flashing, pulsating shit on screen that can give even the best of eyes migraines. And while I appreciate Rutger Hauer's inclusion, they could have literally used anyone else. Rutger clearly sounds like he's just reading lines in a single 2 hour sitting. It's kinda like how they promoted David Duchoveny for XIII and his voice acting was probably the worst part of the game.

Rqhj7uG.jpeg

Uz959Ib.jpeg

zHAFdUp.jpeg

Last edited:

Roberts

I love Blasphemous 2 a lot but I think I will put aside for a while - Benedicta is kicking my ass so much it isn’t funny anymore. Previous bosses didn’t give me much of a trouble but I must have tried to fight her at least 25 times and I don’t think I ever got half of her health.

adamsapple

Not worth making a topic so will just post the question here.

Does anyone else find the stick design of the Dualsense controller odd in the sense that prolonged play can make your hands start feeling cramped? Never had that kind of issue with the Xbox pad.

And before someone points at my tag or something. I've never had that issue in Dualshock 4 for the many years I've used that either. It's something that I've only noticed with the Dualsense. The grip area is too girthy (ayeoo)

EerieArcade

Neo Member
It's pretty tough. The game expects you to die a lot and does an excellent job with progression that makes each run part of the game's story (like Hades) while preserving certain upgrades you've acquired, that made a big difference to me. If you finished OoE, I hear that game is very difficult too, so I wouldn't worry unless you really dislike 3rd person action and bullet hell games. If your concern is more the difficulty + monotony wasting your time, that is what kept me from Returnal until I tried it out on PS+. The game seems more intimidating than it is once you get going. It also has suspend functionality built in, like Fire Emblem, where you can take a break and not have to do a run in one sitting - but it gets erased once resume so you can't cheese it.

The only time it feels like a regular roguelike in terms of progression is in an optional free DLC mode (a tower). I ended up enjoying that too, but not as much as the main game.

I've played for a couple of hours. I'm enjoying it so far. I really like the atmosphere and vibe. Still getting used to some of the systems and mechanics.

Suicide of Rachel Foster
Played through this over the weekend. I like these kinds of games and found this to be decent enough. The story wasn't overly gripping but the setting was great; Always enjoyed a spooky wintry locale. Worth the £1 I paid for it.

Picked up a copy of Spider-Man 2 on the cheap. Think I'll play this alongside Returnal.

I've played for a couple of hours. I'm enjoying it so far. I really like the atmosphere and vibe. Still getting used to some of the systems and mechanics.

Suicide of Rachel Foster
Played through this over the weekend. I like these kinds of games and found this to be decent enough. The story wasn't overly gripping but the setting was great; Always enjoyed a spooky wintry locale. Worth the £1 I paid for it.

Picked up a copy of Spider-Man 2 on the cheap. Think I'll play this alongside Returnal.

Nice! Yeah it took a little while for certain things to click for me (weapon upgrades, how certain cutscenes/events work, and the proc generated areas/loot). The game carries with its atmosphere in the meantime.

Does anyone else find the stick design of the Dualsense controller odd in the sense that prolonged play can make your hands start feeling cramped? Never had that kind of issue with the Xbox pad.

And before someone points at my tag or something. I've never had that issue in Dualshock 4 for the many years I've used that either. It's something that I've only noticed with the Dualsense. The grip area is too girthy (ayeoo)

I find the entire DualSense uncomfortable in general, the proportions of the handles and how it affects where your fingers naturally rest on the buttons and sticks just feels off. Hard to describe but it feels like I'm holding it further up and latched onto the sides. DS4 is my favorite controller of all time, ergonomically.

Duchess

Finished Armored Core 6.

I got the "good" ending? Well, the one I imagine that most players would naturally lean towards. Final boss was a complete push over; took me just a couple of attempts. I was expecting a two / three phase battle, but nothing more came.

Overall, I thought it was a good game, but I don't feel any need to continue playing further. For me, the hardest bosses were:

3. Ibis <== 4 attempts
2. V. II Snail (Arquebus Balteus) <== 7 attempts
1. Balteus <== 35+ attempts

Hoddi

Are you going to reach out to support?
I sent in a request but I'm not stressing over it. I also have the game on PS5 and it will probably show up on Gamepass at some point anyway. I have enough COD games to play and a new one coming next month.

I also think I know what caused it and I'm not entirely blameless. I was testing out the 3D cache on the CPU and AMD has a driver control that you can enable/disable. I think doing so moves things around in memory and the anticheat flagged it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Finished Armored Core 6.

I got the "good" ending? Well, the one I imagine that most players would naturally lean towards. Final boss was a complete push over; took me just a couple of attempts. I was expecting a two / three phase battle, but nothing more came.

Overall, I thought it was a good game, but I don't feel any need to continue playing further. For me, the hardest bosses were:

3. Ibis <== 4 attempts
2. V. II Snail (Arquebus Balteus) <== 7 attempts
1. Balteus <== 35+ attempts
Pre-patch Balteus was no joke. All his missile attacks were homing missiles.

Loving NG+ Wukong after finishing Space Marine 2. Need to resub to Plus at some point to play coop.

The_hunter

Not anymore, but when I first got the PS5 my muscles would get tired from aiming in overwatch 1 as I had not played FPS games in a very long time.

adamsapple

Not anymore, but when I first got the PS5 my muscles would get tired from aiming in overwatch 1 as I had not played FPS games in a very long time.

Yeah, if you keep playing then it doesn't feel that jarring but I'm someone whose frequently switching between the Xbox pad and Dualsense and every time I go back to the DS after a bit, it's takes a bit to get used to it again.

I find the entire DualSense uncomfortable in general, the proportions of the handles and how it affects where your fingers naturally rest on the buttons and sticks just feels off. Hard to describe but it feels like I'm holding it further up and latched onto the sides. DS4 is my favorite controller of all time, ergonomically.

Spot on.

-

On topic, going to get and start Pacific Drive in a couple of days. The trailers look wild.

Roberts

So I finished The Case of the Golden Idol together with a friend and we had an absolute blast playing detectives in this weird, cynical story. Not so much a critique of fascism as an outright mockery of it. The last two twists just made me lol in a way that games rarely do. We will buy DLCs because I don't think we had enough of this.

Almost done with Blasphemous 2. Not better or worse than its predecessor but this is a must for any metroidvania fan. I like that each bosses requires a totally different approach and almost none of them can be cheesed.

Top Bottom