• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

dmaul1114

Still trudging my way through Tears of the Kingdom after picking it back up last month. Saved at the start of the fire temple (will be my 3rd temple).

Picked Starfield back up to get ready for the DLC in a couple of days. Decided not to go into NG+ so reloaded a save right before the last fights and walked away so I can both knock out a couple faction quest lines I’d skipped and not be starting with no weapons/gear.

Mirrors Edge Catalyst on PC. Love the Mirrors Edge games.

Dropped Warthogs Legacy. Got it in a sale. Never got into the Harry Potter franchise, probably a good game gameplay wise and looks good. Can't stand the they/them pronounce will playing a regular dude. Cheap asses should have gotten proper voice overs. It's annoying enough to get pulled out of the world. Didn't feel like investing more time in it, not connecting to any of the lore.

pachura

Started playing Mutazione. It's a narrative 2D indie game in the vein of Night in the Woods or Oxenfree, but more "soap-opera" like, rather than horror/thriller mystery.

I've completed one day already... and I don't like it that much. It's dull. It's boring. It's too feel-good to me. There's no action whatsoever apart from "go talk to person X", "go bring me Y from location Z". There's a tacked-on mechanics of tending a garden, which is also not to my taste. The "mutants" from the title are cartoony characters.

I enjoy walking simulators and almost-actionless-games like Firewatch or Kentucky Route Zero, but this feels like just clicking through dialogs (and not even getting different reponses depending on choice). And for feel-good games, I prefer to jump around as the cat in Stray...

Graphics are OK, slightly reminding of Another World. But in general (SO FAR), I would compare it to Oxenfree 2, which was a major disappointment for me.

bender

What time is it?
I finished Little Nightmares 2. Like the predecessor, it often feels too dependent on trial-and-error, but I really like the style and horror elements in the game which allowed me to push through to the end.

I'm also nearing the end of my co-op playthrough of Dark Soul 3. We are in the Ringed City and while my memory is usually poor, I literally remember nothing about this expansion. So much so that I started wondering if I had played it in the first place so I loaded up my first character and sure enough, I'd cleared it. Dark Souls 3 is a weird one and I'm leaning on not liking it very much. The level design is pretty linear with From's bag of tricks for hiding items and whatnot, but because it is so linear I often feel like the side paths are spiral staircases that lead to nowhere. The game is also full of call backs to previous entries in the series that I find myself a little exhausted by the "remember when's". Combine that with experiencing all the other Souls games and it, like most of the later entries, just never surprises me. I think I'd rank it behind Elden Ring and only ahead of Dark Souls 2, but they are all far behind Demon Souls (beginning of the design tropes), Dark Souls (level design), and Bloodborne (combat and theme).

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
About to wrap up Gotham Knights which has basically been Batgirl: The Game for me.

mpLnKhM.jpeg
S9X1XWa.jpeg
rEYe4zp.jpeg
DYdSVSv.jpeg
5APJiMX.jpeg
VwFr6nr.jpeg
v3syrWx.jpeg
oqjY9JW.jpeg
lcrn7tl.jpeg
5H6Vqyu.jpeg
vRuEY58.jpeg
jyN5ni1.jpeg

Believe it or not, it actually kinda fills that new Arkham void. Kinda I said.

Roberts

Finished Flintlock and had a wonderful time. Despite both games having nothing in common visually, you can clearly feel it was made by the same people who made Ashen. Had some trouble with the last boss but as soon as I figured out all his moves I pretty much beat him without losing much health. Moving on to Shattered Space, of course!

ElFenomeno

Finished Space Marine 2 campaign. The gameplay got old really fast. Pretty short campaign but about halfway I got bored.
There is nothing to break the pace, no new mechanics or interesting scenarios, challenges to shake things up a bit.
Except the jetpack, thats awesome , I wish they let us use it more.

Duchess

I got as far as the Fire Giant in Elden Ring, while using a magic build. I'm putting the game hold for now (already finished it once).

I finished off one bit in The Mobius Machine, to get a trophy.

Have now started Alan Wake Remastered. Good so far, but it does feel like a game of its time (came out in 2010).

Crayon

Started up RoboCop this weekend!

It's pretty sweet. At first, I loved it more. After awhile, the gameplay lets it down. It could have used even less of that, I think.

The sidequests and writing get goofy in a Yakuza way and I like it. And they veer into writing RoboCop a little more human after awhile, but you kinda have to or all there is left for him to say is deadpan one-liners. Though there are some hilarious ones in there.

engstra

Finished Plucky Squire. Very charming game that does a lot of cool fourth wall breaks. Going for the storybook aesthetic and storytelling, it does maybe lean a bit too heavy into the too sweet category but overall enjoyed my time with it. It's annoying that basically all collectibles are missable and you can't backtrack to collect. Not enough there to replay the game just for the odd art scroll. I'd give it a 7/10.

Next Dead Space.

Sausy1987

Finished Space Marine 2 campaign. The gameplay got old really fast. Pretty short campaign but about halfway I got bored.
There is nothing to break the pace, no new mechanics or interesting scenarios, challenges to shake things up a bit.
Except the jetpack, thats awesome , I wish they let us use it more.
I have the exact same thoughts .

AutomaticPrince

Neo Member
Finished Plucky Squire. Very charming game that does a lot of cool fourth wall breaks. Going for the storybook aesthetic and storytelling, it does maybe lean a bit too heavy into the too sweet category but overall enjoyed my time with it. It's annoying that basically all collectibles are missable and you can't backtrack to collect. Not enough there to replay the game just for the odd art scroll. I'd give it a 7/10.
Close to finishing Plucky Squire myself with a few missed collectibles. Isn't there the option to get them post game through chapter select?

Mr Hyde

FF7 Rebirth and I'm done with Nibel region. Came back to Costa del Sol and thought to myself "gee, I should be close to the end now. Feels good to finally finish this one off, it's been a great adventure." And the game is like "you ain't done yet, here's 10 more side quests and QB players scattered around the world + some random pirate treasure hunt. Why? Because fuck your life, that's why."

I mean, seriously, the game is great. I love it. But what is it with the hubris of game devs today? 80 hours of content isn't enough? Here's another 40. They just can't help themselves cramming in so much fucking unnecessary fillers to pad out the time that finishing an open world game today just becomes exhausting, even if the game is awesome and fun to play. I've taken several breaks from this game due to just getting burnt out and now I'm probably taking one more. Scale back your game Worlds ffs.

FF7 Rebirth and I'm done with Nibel region. Came back to Costa del Sol and thought to myself "gee, I should be close to the end now. Feels good to finally finish this one off, it's been a great adventure." And the game is like "you ain't done yet, here's 10 more side quests and QB players scattered around the world + some random pirate treasure hunt. Why? Because fuck your life, that's why."

I mean, seriously, the game is great. I love it. But what is it with the hubris of game devs today? 80 hours of content isn't enough? Here's another 40. They just can't help themselves cramming in so much fucking unnecessary fillers to pad out the time that finishing an open world game today just becomes exhausting, even if the game is awesome and fun to play. I've taken several breaks from this game due to just getting burnt out and now I'm probably taking one more. Scale back your game Worlds ffs.

And to think this is how I used to feel about "huge RPGs" that were 40+ hours long. Now every game tries this, conversely very few should. With one break halfway, I was getting burnt out on Rebirth before the break and again right at the end. Of all the games I've played recently, I am not opposed to a longer stay in the world of FF7, but overall devs need to stop wasting so much time and effort padding.

And to think this is how I used to feel about "huge RPGs" that were 40+ hours long. Now every game tries this, conversely very few should. With one break halfway, I was getting burnt out on Rebirth before the break and again right at the end. Of all the games I've played recently, I am not opposed to a longer stay in the world of FF7, but overall devs need to stop wasting so much time and effort padding.
I remember how insane my 44 hour play of Legend of Dragoon felt back in 2012. It was as though I had run a a marathon, and I enjoyed every minute of it. That was the longest game I had played up to that point.

You don’t really have to play every game to the fullest. I recently had a very enjoyable 50 hours with Lords of the Fallen. I loved every minute of it, but didn’t feel the need to continue once I reached a certain point.

Life is short. Play what you want to be playing, not what you feel you should be playing.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Platinumed Astrobot (17 hours). Loved every second of it.

I'm resuming Tales of Kenzera: Zau. Then I'll probably replay Cult of the Lamb (this time on PS; finished on PC already), Under the Waves, or replay Sackboy or resume Cyberpunk 2077.

Haven't decided yet.

I remember how insane my 44 hour play of Legend of Dragoon felt back in 2012. It was as though I had run a a marathon, and I enjoyed every minute of it. That was the longest game I had played up to that point.

You don’t really have to play every game to the fullest. I recently had a very enjoyable 50 hours with Lords of the Fallen. I loved every minute of it, but didn’t feel the need to continue once I reached a certain point.

Life is short. Play what you want to be playing, not what you feel you should be playing.

Indeed. Sometimes people mistake getting burnt out from a long game is the same thing as disliking it, but if you are really enjoying it sometimes a break is all that's needed. The problem is more that because so many games are so long and padded, it can be exhausting even when switching things up. I've had a terrific time playing a short games (especially in different genres) in between the long ones, and although gaming is #1 to me, I have other hobbies that really help.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I've been playing Death Mark II on Switch. It's a horror VN and the last game in Spirit Hunter games. I enjoyed the other two games in the series. Exploring creepy environments and coming across gruesome scenes is fun. Not to mention the creepy Spirits themselves. I'll be able to finish this by Sunday. I just got to Chapter 4

As for my next Game, I might play Emio The Smiling Man next. Since it's October, I've been playing, watching and reading scary stuff

Last edited:

BigLee74

Tomb Raider 3 remastered. Only played this once way back when it first came out, so it’s interesting playing it again.

Would enjoy it more if it wasn’t pitch black in places - almost impossible to play at times and quite frustrating. Even switching to the old graphics doesn’t help half the time. It certainly wasn’t like that back in the day.

Out of the three, definitely had most fun replaying the first one (and 2 was always my fave).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished Atelier Ryza. 7/10

Even 20 hours, a refreshing length for a JRPG, all the well because this game's alchemy mechanics for 80 hours would have become real grating. Will look into the second game after playing some other things first. This is one of those games that changes its title screen periodically depending on your story progress, I get a real kick out of it when games do that.

3vbtZ4a.png

XKhDSCH.png

aH5qSyb.png

KnKuWYP.png

Even 20 hours, a refreshing length for a JRPG, all the well because this game's alchemy mechanics for 80 hours would have become real grating.
I honestly admire your ability to just blaze through games and somehow ignore many of the mechanics.

I have tried Ryza three times. Each time, I get bogged down crafting the perfect bombs, etc. The crafting system in this one is probably the most simple of the series, but this paradoxically makes it the most time consuming, since you can easily min-max.

The true reason I don't enjoy it, is the combat. All they had to do was add a pause when selecting your actions, and it would have been fine. I'm not a fan of "real time" turn based combat. It feels too rushed. They handle it perfectly in the Blue Reflection series.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I honestly admire your ability to just blaze through games and somehow ignore many of the mechanics.

I have tried Ryza three times. Each time, I get bogged down crafting the perfect bombs, etc. The crafting system in this one is probably the most simple of the series, but this paradoxically makes it the most time consuming, since you can easily min-max

I couldn't skip the mechanics, hell you need to be at least Alchemy level 50 to finish the game, I just didn't get into it for the perfect things and only used it when needed to craft and upgrade weapons etc.

The combat was fine, kinda like FFX-2 but simpler, and very slow paced. Wish there was a combat speed slider or something.

Top Bottom