• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game had the best shotgun?

When I think of a shotgun in videogames, I think of a big, powerful gun that makes heads explode with a loud BOOM! Even if a game sucks, if it has a shotgun in it I'll play it. A shotgun is ussually the manliest weapon to use, and helps me get past my crippling emotional pain and insecurity. So, I think of the shotgun's I've used in different games and now wonder "which one was the best?"

I'll post my suggestions later.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Although probably 3 of you played this game, but the handcannon in Action Quake 2 rocked all kinds of ass. Man did people fly with that sucker

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I gotta go with halo.

running out of a base with a flag on blood gulch while being chased is just so satisfying if you can drop the flag and wait for the other team guy to come running out, then drop him with one shot.

LAMBO

Blood 2, nothing beats having dual, dual barrel shotguns, that you could fire 2 or 4 barrels at a time.

AeroGod

Go play Soldier of Fortune, equip shotgun, aim at someones stomach, fire, then come back into the thread and tell us what you think.

There's been a lot of good shotguns:

The Rapid Loadinest - Blood

The Beefiest - Quake 2

The One Shotinest - Halo (doubles as Head-Crackinest)

But I have to give the prize to the most dependable shotty of them all. the one that never lets you down

*Doom 2*

hobbitx

The shotguns in almost all Id games have kicked ass, in every game I end up using those more than anything I like them so much, especially in Quake 2.

As far as coolest use of a shotgun goes though, Black Thorne wins hands down in my book. That move where the guy shoots his shotgun without even turning all the way around is by far the most badass thing I've ever seen in a game. Man I wish that game would get a modern update.

The shotgun in Doom 3 is good, but I only like it with Trent Reznor's sound effects applied. The sounds in the final version are definitely lacking.

EekTheKat

Heh I'm surprised no one's posted the animated GIF of Dante doing fireworks in DMC3 with a shotgun yet.

DMC's use of a shotgun is certainly very imaginative.

Serious Sam's double-barreled shotgun
Dante's shotgun in DMC

The Halo shotgun was fun and all, but the sound effects it made were rather weak. Lots of the appeal of shotguns is the loud booming sound they make.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
JackFrost2012 said:
Doom 2 is the only correct answer. TWO BARRELS BITCHES.

Blackthorne gets points for style, though. MERCY KILL THE PRISONERS.

Blackthorne = Big fat thumbs up. God I loved that game

Prospero

Perfect Dark had a good shotgun--it wasn't just the satisfaction of firing, but the "snick-snick-snick" sound of reloading the shells into it, one by one.

But, yes, Doom I and II are the only acceptable answers for this question.

Top Bottom