• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What has Bush done right - and - What has Bush done wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
"The first thing Clinton did in office was break his promise to not raise taxes for middle income citizens. He invade and bombed a few small countries, Kosovo, Bosnia, Iraq, Haiti, Somalia. 80 people were massacred at Waco, and he passed more gun control laws than any president in history. He vetoed the partial birth abortion bill from Newts congrees."

Sounds good to me

AirBrian said:
I think the difference with Clinton's sex/personal life is that he lied about it under oath to a grand jury and to the American people. A bold-faced lie -- plain and simple. And that's what he was impeached for: perjury.

Why should it have even got to that point? Why should anyone, even the president, have to go to court over consensual sex? He shouldn't have even been put into the position where he felt like he had to lie. And I'm sure everyone else who has cheated on a girlfriend or spouse at one point told the truth.

With Bush, according to the 9/11 Commision, he received bad intellence reports. He based his reasons for war off of this. Did he have preconceived reasons? I'm sure he did. But as far as we know, he did not lie under oath to a grand jury.

Or used bad intelligence to his advantage. You'd think Bush would just come out and admit it was bad intelligence instead of trying to cover up lies with more lies. Bush was looking for any reason (9/11) to go into Iraq, even if the reason had nothing to do with Saddam.

Whether you believe Bush or not, that's the difference between him and Clinton. If Clinton had fessed up from the start, he would have never been impeached.

Like I said, Clinton should have never had to fess up. His personal life is exactly that. Personal. If all government employees were put on trial for fucking interns/hookers and smoking crack... Our government would probably cease to exist. And I don't see Bush coming clean either.

AirBrian

Cerebral Palsy said:
Why should it have even got to that point? Why should anyone, even the president, have to go to court over consensual sex? He shouldn't have even been put into the position where he felt like he had to lie. And I'm sure everyone else who has cheated on a girlfriend or spouse at one point told the truth.
I agree with you, it should have stayed personal. But unfortunately it didn't and he lied to a grand jury about it. Regardless, he broke the law and was impeached for it.
Or used bad intelligence to his advantage. You'd think Bush would just come out and admit it was bad intelligence instead of trying to cover up lies with more lies. Bush was looking for any reason (9/11) to go into Iraq, even if the reason had nothing to do with Saddam.
Sure, but there were enough little details that he could focus on to just the cause in his mind. Was it enough to justify a war? I don't think so, but that's irrelevant. Let's not forget that more than just Bush gets to see those intelligence reports. Many democrats also voted to go to war. In 1998 under Clinton, we were less than 12 hours away from going to war with Iraq. In 1998, the UN unanimously voted that Iraq had WMDs unaccounted for and action would be taken unless Hussein complied. Personally, I think it was only a matter of time until we went to war with Iraq. Was now the right time? I'm not sure. In a perfect world, Bush Sr. would've finished the job in 1991 and we wouldn't be in this mess.
Like I said, Clinton should have never had to fess up. His personal life is exactly that. Personal. If all government employees were put on trial for fucking interns/hookers and smoking crack... Our government would probably cease to exist. And I don't see Bush coming clean either.
Again, I agree. But that doesn't change the fact that he broke the law in front of the American public and was "called out" on it.

Hey, every (OK, 99%) politician has their dirty secrets. They all conduct shady transactions with certain groups. It's a sad fact of our political system. The corruption and corporate involvement has grown over the years. We need a change. Is Kerry the answer? God, no. I'm scared to vote for him. What we need is a legitimate 3rd party to balance things out. Our 2-party system just isn't working anymore. The last 3 (4 if you count this year's) elections have shown the weakness of our system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom