• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the actual best 'free-to-play' game?

Xtib81

How are you liking S3? I haven't played since ranked turned into Terminal Attack. Hoping they get their **** together for S4.

Been playing a lot of Valorant and I 100% think The Finals is the better game.
Feeling a little burned out to be honest, but I already have 200hrs on this game so it might be why. I feel like those seasons are a little bit lackluster in terms of content. 2 maps/season would be great.
I don't like terminal attack at all, so I spend all my time in power shift since I play alone and that's the most fun mode available.
But there's nothing like this game on the market, I haven't been so into a MP game since Battlefield Bad company 2.

Last edited:
Genshin, if you like exploring, some light puzzles, and decent combat wrapped in an anime aesthetic, that’s mostly wholesome you can’t go wrong. Very relaxing and fun world to get lost in, literally so much to do. And the music… man there were some moments gliding around that game in Liyue I will never forget.

That said, the beginning of the game (Mondstat to Liyue to Inazuma) is the best stretch. And even those first 3 areas could be 40–100 hours depending on how much you want to dig into side quest, lore, character quests, hangouts, etc.

Honorable mentions would be:
Star Rail if you like jrpgs, amazing style and snappy gameplay.

Marvel Snap for a very streamlined card game that’s extremely pick up and play friendly

War frame was pretty fun, I no longer play but I had a great time with it for about 4 months a
Couple years back.

Zenless Zone Zero is of course the new hotness, can’t fully recommend it yet as it’s so new and we’ll see where it goes, but man, the last week has been incredibly fun. Animation is far beyond anything else around imo, vibrant, colorful unique world too, it at the end of the day it’s a corridor battler, you’re going to be fighting lots of enemies in smallish areas. Similar to Honkai Impact 3rd or Punishing Grey Raven (both of which I’ve played but no longer follow) only so many hours in the day 😅

I’m happy there is a gacha/f2p thread because I’m always looking for new ones to try out.

As a side note,
My gf recently basically stopped playing both Genshin and Star Rail, and now she only plays Wuthering Waves, she really likes it. She says it’s like Star Rail art style but in a Genshin type game, so for her it’s the best of both world. More edgy mature look overall, but still get an open world to explore. I’m waiting for a console release on this one, I’ll give it a try then.

Last edited:
La-mulana

lamulana.png

Toots

Gold Member
OWym2Fn.jpeg

You know what they* say about free to play games :
"The only winning move is not to play"

*they being a NORAD supercomputer known as WOPR (War Operation Plan Response, pronounced "whopper"), or Joshua, programmed to continuously run war simulations and learn over time.

Trackmania Nations Forever, all that speed for FREEEEEEE!
Wasn't Trackmania Nations free and Forever was their realisation that they sh/could have charged for it.

I think Team Fortress 2 was also for some time great value.

Minesweepter was already mentioned, Solitaire also exists in many variants, some rather expensive some actually free. 2048 was also fun but a proper good, while very simple, mobile game.

TrebleShot

yeah like others I dont really hate F2P and I know what to expect, Its a shame Genshin isnt on Steam.

These games have alot right in terms of the basics, cross save, cross progression, cross play etc. They are the ultimate everyone has access games and im here for it.

Zheph

Probably Rocket League?

The gacha games are good too such as Genshin, ZZZ or Honkai

Last edited:

Sybrix

CS2

Best MP FPS franchise of all time. 25 years old and still as popular as ever. No pay-to-win aspects either.

Agreed.

Counter Strike has it's loot crate system but it's cosmetic only.

If you ignore the cosmetic shit, it's one of the best FPSers.

I've been playing Counter Strike since 1.4, the gameplay is second to no one, the main reason why a 25 year old franchise still attracts millions of players.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
They're already at OT number 10 for GI, and their gacha game OTs are way more active than here on GAF so why would they be mad lol.
Because genshin devs like to absolutely troll the woke types, those are their new characters for the new latin\african\indigenous inspired region

GRuXuNSWQAAl7RM

Too bad these cunts are whiter than a brick of partially skimmed milk and the reeetards go crazy about this shit :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Because genshin devs like to absolutely troll the woke types, those are their new characters for the new latin\african\indigenous inspired region

GRuXuNSWQAAl7RM

Too bad these cunts are whiter than a brick of partially skimmed milk and the reeetards go crazy about this shit :messenger_tears_of_joy:
There's just a subset of loud reeees that go crazy on this type of stuff. 95% of the the users posting in those OTs are just enjoying the game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
There's just a subset of loud reeees that go crazy on this type of stuff. 95% of the the users posting in those OTs are just enjoying the game.
When we talk about the reeeetards it's always a subset dude, most people in there are probably ok and just pretend.

Even in a fucking woke cesspool like that one the actual amount of deranged people is minimal.

But i'm still glad that some developers absolutely troll these people anyway.

Last edited:

sn0man

Heros of The Storm is my honorable mention. People have called it dead for a while but major streamers are still pumping out content and the lack of last hit and share experience make the multiplayer a little less intense. If you’re looking for a casual good time or just coop against AI they have that too.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Probably sites like Reddit where you can troll users on subreddits to rack up thumbs down icons. Or raise your score by pandering to a community.

Probably the most satisfying multiplayer there is.

Sethbacca

Skill ceiling is too high. I’ve got 1300 hours in that game and I’m still dogshit. :(
I'm about same hours wise and I've only capped out in Diamond :( . I think 90% of my problem is I don't have a group to play with (don't really want one either because I play when I have a chance and don't want to have to schedule time to do shit), so I end up with ball chasers and people who have no clue how to play defense more often than not. Still fun though when I'm not swearing under my breath.

Švejk

Banned
I will also say Warframe. Played it all throughout last gen off and on. Always ended up enjoying it though, even with it's complex UX.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
For me, I would have said Apex Legends but they did some pretty shitty things in the last year and lost me as a player. Still, it was amazing for a long time.

If I had to choose now, I'd probs say CS 2.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
My fav one is that massive multiplayer game that is your mom.

I also enjoyed TF2 a lot some years ago, but it's been so long since I last played it that I don't know if I can recommend it.
Enemy Territory was also the shit, got tons of fun out of that one and even joined a community back then.

Some single player ones:

Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue. Make sure to get the english patch.
Quake's Arcane Dimensions, amazing level design.
Lots and lots of DOOM wads for you to download and enjoy.

Aion002

Gold Member
From what I played: Smite, Epic Seven, Warframe, Fortnite and Genshin Impact.

They're are all fun to play and you don't need to spend a penny to enjoy them.

Roxkis_ii

I just started playing The First Descendant. I heard it is pay to win, but it's not a competitive game, so not too bad. I'm having fun with the game play loop so far.

You can check out this video to see if it's in your tolerance.

GymWolf

Gold Member
My fav one is that massive multiplayer game that is your mom.

I also enjoyed TF2 a lot some years ago, but it's been so long since I last played it that I don't know if I can recommend it.
Enemy Territory was also the shit, got tons of fun out of that one and even joined a community back then.

Some single player ones:

Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue. Make sure to get the english patch.
Quake's Arcane Dimensions, amazing level design.
Lots and lots of DOOM wads for you to download and enjoy.
I bet her favourite multyplayer gadget is ps1 multitap...

Chronos24

Rocket League is and has been my favorite for years.
This right here. I've been playing since it came out. I remember when they basically pioneered cross play. Rocket League by a mile for sure just understand there is a little learning curve but once you've got it it's so intense and fun.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
This right here. I've been playing since it came out. I remember when they basically pioneered cross play. Rocket League by a mile for sure just understand there is a little learning curve but once you've got it it's so intense and fun.

What a save! What a save! What a save!

One of the most toxic games ever, but it is fun.

All games are free to play. It's just that you have to buy some of them before you can get to the playing part.
Boy, I was just thinking "buy a game and forget it, then next time you'll come to it it will be free to play". No troll, I regularly experience it lol

sodstall

Wasn't Trackmania Nations free and Forever was their realisation that they sh/could have charged for it.

I think Team Fortress 2 was also for some time great value.

They both have "forever" in their name. Nations Forever was free and United Forever was the paid game.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I just deleted Warframe. I just don’t got time for that grind. And I’m not going to pay to win in that game.

Top Bottom