• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the actual best 'free-to-play' game?

Is it true that the game is stupidly easy for like the first 40++ hours?
Back when I played, nothing in Warframe was particularly hard. If anything it got easier because you get more and more overpowered stuff as you grinded over and over (which is really the only thing to do). The only time it got particularly challenging is when you do content that has scaled so far beyond normal play that you have to cheese so hard that you're effectively not playing the game as intended. I have fond memories of winning event after event with my clanmates but it's more the feeling of camaraderie rather than actually enjoying the gameplay.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Back when I played, nothing in Warframe was particularly hard. If anything it got easier because you get more and more overpowered stuff as you grinded over and over (which is really the only thing to do). The only time it got particularly challenging is when you do content that has scaled so far beyond normal play that you have to cheese so hard that you're effectively not playing the game as intended. I have fond memories of winning event after event with my clanmates but it's more the feeling of camaraderie rather than actually enjoying the gameplay.
I'm not talking about particularly hard, i'm talking about braindead easy for like the first 40+ hours that apparently are just the tutorial because the game has like 1000 hours of content so they thought it was ok to do that...

They say it gets way harder after (and then easy again etc.) but i can't fucking deal with 40+ hours of mindless killing to get to the good stuff, and i heard it's basically the same thing with the story but that one get good even later than 40 h...

Last edited:

Corian33

Guild Wars 2 if you want an MMO. It’s getting older now but you can play a huge chunk of the game for free. Expansions go for cheap and there’s no subscription fee.

Word Game GIF by Unpopular Cartoonist

Whilst I don't play it as much anymore, I got to say Warframe for me. It is a grind and can feel overwhelming when you first start out, but the game has so much content and you can really pour so many hours in to it.

BlackTron

apparently the developer has made it extremely hard to find the original released version of the game. but it is possible and it was released as freeware back in 2006 so yes I say that validate it as a free game.

I found out that it is difficult to find the original free version today, but I didn't know it was the developer's doing. I found the Japanese version in about five minutes. They say you can complete it, but I found this baffling. I guess the puzzles aren't very dialog oriented, but I'm still not even touching that going by its reputation.

WX3

Thank you for this recommendation! Checked it out tonight and it is a game that I cannot believe I have not heard of. Especially being a fan of the Stalker games, and pretty much anything related to Chernobyl, I can only wonder if mom was lying when she said she didn't drop me on my head more than twice.

Top Bottom