• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your next-gen purchasing going to entail? (Roadmap)

For me I always buy basically everything but even the small things can delay a purchase. How is your roadmap looking?

• RTX 3080 day and date (September 17th)
  • Xbox Series X day and date (November 10th)
  • PlayStation 5 (Waiting for all black model)

I really hate the reversed Oreo design of the PlayStation 5, I can financially afford it but I really don't want to be stuck with that.

Rayderism

My only plan at this point is to eventually get the PS5 disc version and an extra controller. Won't be day1, but sometime in the first year when I see one available in Best Buy or Wal-Mart. Beyond that......games and maybe some sort of controller charging accessory. Maybe an HDMI switch if the PS4 BC isn't 100% with some of the more niche games I actually care about.....The Pinball Arcade primarily.

As for PC.....meh, I only use it for legacy console emulation, not really modern games. Don't need big mega power for that. The laptop I bought a few months ago has a 2070 in it, so it will be fine for emulation.

Last edited:

TaySan

Banned
I just dropped 2K on the 3090 so im going to skip the consoles until next year. Nothing really seems compelling enough at launch.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
I just dropped 2K on the 3090 so im going to skip the consoles until next year. Nothing really seems compelling enough at launch.
Both launches are disappointing. The only reason I'm picking up a ps5 is because I sold my PS4 and I have a backlog of ps4 titles I want to play including GoT or I wouldn't bother for a while either.

Karmic Raze

I am still not sure which to get 100%, but my first choice was always PS5, so I am inclined to just stick with them. The XSX being up for pre-order in under 2 weeks is tempting, but if Sony announces something before then I will likely go with PS5 as planned. I’m still going to get a pre-order in at Amazon for the XSX just in case the PS5 sells out, though.

Malakhov

Banned
Stop trying to make the situation sound simplistic, it's not. It's much more convoluted than that especially when you get a TV involved versus just pushing one button on a console and you're done.
It is pretty simplistic. It's as simplistic as picking up your xbox controller and playing, god forbid you'll have to double click on your game icon on pc, it's much more troublesome than pushing one button on a console

Sleepwalker

- Gaming PC for around 2 to 2.5k (is this a good price? Will be used for streaming and hopefully doing some VR gaming)
- XSX/S
- PS5 Digital edition (if gamesharing is still the same as the PS4)

I have no dates yet, but would like to at least get the PC out of the way before next gen launches, problem is, I've never built a pc :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_crying:

Malakhov

Banned
- Gaming PC for around 2 to 2.5k (is this a good price? Will be used for streaming and hopefully doing some VR gaming)
- XSX/S
- PS5 Digital edition (if gamesharing is still the same as the PS4)

I have no dates yet, but would like to at least get the PC out of the way before next gen launches, problem is, I've never built a pc :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_crying:
It's pretty easy, just follow a guide step by step. If you're not comfortable with it there is shops who will assemble it for you for a minor fee if you bring all of your components but I'm sure you can do it!

It is pretty simplistic. It's as simplistic as picking up your xbox controller and playing, god forbid you'll have to double click on your game icon on pc, it's much more troublesome than pushing one button on a console

On best pc gaming can be somewhat simple, but on average it is just not as easy&working as consoles.

There are always people claiming how they never had any problems, but in reality there are crashes, driver problems, too low specs, all the shit.

I were pc gamer 2000-2013 and most of the time when we tried to play multiplayer.coops etc = at least one on the group had some problems.

Maybe it is bit better now, but console is still easier and more relaxing.

Neo 007

I just found out seriesX is $749au Nov 10
Guess thats me then.

But I can't stop thinking how long till the first revision of the box.

Malakhov

Banned
On best pc gaming can be somewhat simple, but on average it is just not as easy&working as consoles.

There are always people claiming how they never had any problems, but in reality there are crashes, driver problems, too low specs, all the shit.

I were pc gamer 2000-2013 and most of the time when we tried to play multiplayer.coops etc = at least one on the group had some problems.

Maybe it is bit better now, but console is still easier and more relaxing.
To be honest it used to be a pain in the ass but the 8bitdo adapter with a xbox controller is as simple as plug and play now, I'd never go back to messing around with shitty key mapping apps etc..

The Shift

Banned
There are no games on Playstation so that's out.

Need a new laptop for work so probably getting that and will add an SX via All Access to my phone plan. I plan to upgrade my PC in the new year.

-Arcadia-

Banned
PS5. Miles Morales and Kena could be awesome, and a really great way to see in next-gen. I’m kind of holding final approval until we see some real details and impression on these games, but I’m hopeful for a really fun time to go along with the beautiful new graphics.

On the other hand, I really love the hardware of Series X (and Series S!), and have a lot of fondness towards things like GamePass, X-Cloud, Build a controller, BC, etc. Microsoft has really built back up my connection to their products ever since Xbox One X.

But.

Outside of CoD, which, I’m not a big fan, but it actually looks kind of fun, has zombies (I definitely am a fan of this), and has some really good looking visuals, I’m having trouble finding anything I actually want to play. That’s a big problem. I’m really hoping ray-traced Minecraft, some really cool updates of older games, or some more games are added to the launch at the last second or something.

Right now, I kind of feel like Series X is a possible pick-up-later for me.

Pantz

-Xbox Series X at launch + some games - Yakuza, Cyberpunk, Black Ops, Cris Tales, Port Royale 4. Not sure what all will be Game Pass or smart delivery. And checking out my digital library on the new machine.
-PS5 at launch (if I'm one of the chosen who are able to pre-order it) + Gran Turismo if it's a launch game. Mostly wanting for enhance backwards compatibility. Would probably skip for now if the BC turned out poorly at launch.
-Switch Pro/4K - Still waiting for this. Ready whenever they are.
-Full new PC in 2021, after taxes, if the economy hasn't collapsed, etc.

PS5 + extra dual sense - day 1.
Waiting Zen3 before building a new Gaming PC, so I should have time to see how Big Navi performs, but currently 3080 seems more likely. - end of 2020/early 2021.

Sleepwalker

[/QUOTE]
It's pretty easy, just follow a guide step by step. If you're not comfortable with it there is shops who will assemble it for you for a minor fee if you bring all of your components but I'm sure you can do it!

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm mostly convinced I'll figure it out when the time to assemble comes! Right now I'm more worried about figuring out the correct parts to buy and not get many (ideally none) compatibility issues etc. Got a ton of reading to do and probably will make a thread asking for help at some point. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Been a console player all my life basically, but I need a beefy PC now for work and figured what the hell, lets make it a gaming one!

Last edited:

The Shepard

PS5 for xmas

Series x next Xmas

If there's a good looking xbox game I may jump in sooner, I have gamepass till Xmas next year.

I wouldn't mind that 4k (rumoured) switch either but that depends on price.

For me I always buy basically everything but even the small things can delay a purchase. How is your roadmap looking?

I really hate the reversed Oreo design of the PlayStation 5, I can financially afford it but I really don't want to be stuck with that.

I'm going to wait a few months to see if there are any hardware issues, and once the all-clear has been sounded by the gaming community, I'll get both the PS5 physical and the XB Series X.

Malakhov

Banned
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm mostly convinced I'll figure it out when the time to assemble comes! Right now I'm more worried about figuring out the correct parts to buy and not get many (ideally none) compatibility issues etc. Got a ton of reading to do and probably will make a thread asking for help at some point. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Been a console player all my life basically, but I need a beefy PC now for work and figured what the hell, lets make it a gaming one!
Awesome, there is a lot of pc experts on here as well and I'm sure they will help you out

I've always used this to check compatibility issues and so far in all the builds I made using it, I never had problems. Good luck!

Last edited:
PS5 in March 2021. Going to play Ghost of Tsushima (hopefully!) on it, along with Spider-Man, and Ratchet and Clank.

Waiting a few months to allow for the teething problems to be ironed out and the PS4 upgrades to roll out.

I’m gonna buy either the series s or the ps5 at launch. Depending on which is available - play cyberpunk on whichever one that is. Then either get series s when halo comes out or ps5 when one of their first party games interests me. PC doubtful I’ll upgrade for a few years, probably when gpus can do full on pathtracing on modern games.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

GET ps5 in 2021 december or 2022 in march.
Im not going to be a beta tester for hardware problems.

Aidah

Upgrading my PC to Zen3/3080 as soon as they're available.

PS5, but not necessarily on release. Depends on what they reveal before launch.

Whatever new/upgraded console Nintendo releases next when available.

That's it for now.

MiguelItUp

Jesus Christ how many threads have you posted in the past 24-48 hours? Lmao.

My plan is to wait. At some point I'll dip my toes into the 3000 series pool, as well as snag a PS5...

Hunnybun

I'll get a PS5 DE as close to launch as possible.

I can't see me getting an Xbox with the sorry state of their exclusives.

I'm interested in a PC for the first time in ages, firstly because of the huge boost from DLSS and secondly because RT actually represents a genuinely beneficial use of all that power. I've never seen the point of spending loads for ultra settings or crazy frame rates like 120fps. But top quality RT? Yeah that's actually a major difference.

But I'll wait and see for at least a year to see just how RT on Ampere stacks up on next gen games. It's more likely I'll go for something like a 4080 in a couple of years. Would that take us somewhere close to full path tracing at 1440p and 60fps?

Aidah

Stop trying to make the situation sound simplistic, it's not. It's much more convoluted than that especially when you get a TV involved versus just pushing one button on a console and you're done.
All I did to play Gears 5 on my PC that's connected to my TV is click play. It was awesome (the multiplayer), and it was at the "next gen" 120fps on 5 year old hardware. Played for 200 hours, not a single issue. Not sure what's convoluted about it.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

It's more likely I'll go for something like a 4080 in a couple of years. Would that take us somewhere close to full path tracing at 1440p and 60fps?

I doubt it very much, at least not at 60fps.

Don't expect as big a jump in performance from the 3080 to 4080 as there (looks) like being from 2080 to 3080. In all likelihood we will be back to the normal ~30% improvement we've become used to, rather than the 50-70% we're about to get.

Hunnybun

I doubt it very much, at least not at 60fps.

Don't expect as big a jump in performance from the 3080 to 4080 as there (looks) like being from 2080 to 3080. In all likelihood we will be back to the normal ~30% improvement we've become used to, rather than the 50-70% we're about to get.

I might just wait for the PS6 then, if that ever exists.

CouzinD

PS5 DE Day one, Gamepass ultimate on my PC.
I’ll see how the new Xbox’s do for a few months, also would love a 3080 in a year or so when my 1660ti needs the upgrade.

Bankai

Baffles my mind why would anyone get an xbox with a rtx 3080

Ps5 day one for me and a new tv and that's it since I already have a pc

Pretty much this. Even MS says "Hey, you got a great PC? Good, please subscribe to Gamepass!". They won't even try to convince you to buy a XB SX :nougat_rofl: You ever heared of a LONG ASS HMDI CABLE? Then you can play all your PC games on your Tv with a controller, using your $700 GPU - it's genius!

diffusionx

Gold Member
Probably a 3080 (or wait for the TI variant) + a PS5. Not sure when though. Sony hasn't done a very good job of selling the system right now.

Xbox, what's the point?

Last edited:
Top Bottom