• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What kind of storage medium do you think Nintendo will use for Revolution?

SantaC

So it's most likley that:

PS3 = Blu-Ray
XBOX2 = HD-DVD

Makes me wonder what Nintendo has cooking for the Revolution. Even if the Revolution will be a "different" type of console, it gotta have a storage medium.

Nintendo to develope a new type of cartridge with 4-5 gigabyte of space? loool
jokersmilie.gif

I'm hoping for vinyl.

Edit: But to be fair to your earnest question, I think it will use a high density laser disc format ... I'll go out on a limb and suggest proprietary once more?

SantaC

Milhouse31 said:
Since Matsushita is pro-BR
and if Nintendo is still collaborating with them, I'd say BR-based medium.

That would be nice. Also didn't N say that it will be GC compatible?

cja

I can't see Nintendo going for both backwards compatibility and blue laser. That would require going with a dual laser design, something they wouldn't do with GC. Nintendo know they can't compete with Sony on costs when it comes to advanced optical tech.

I hope Nintendo go with a ROM/optical combo. Use Matrix memory for the core game and include a dual layered GOD drive for FMV, soundtracks and bc.

I predict that they will use something that sux, with not enough space and no dvd-player.

I hope that they will use some good standard like blu-ray or something with dvd-player

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I don't think the next X-BOX will be using HD-DVD, that rumored spec sheet was actually only a DVD-like format, which would keep it simple and keep costs down for the system.

Rumors suggest that Nintendo is considering a next generation blue laser format (BR or HD-DVD) as well as DVD playback & BC in their next system. HD-DVD & BR are both backwords compatible with DVD so both are likely. Matsushita/Panasonic back both HD-DVD & BR, but it's still not known if Nintendo is working with Panasonic again on the drive and/or format. Nintendo IS working with NEC though, who (along with Toshiba) is a major backer of HD-DVD, so who knows? Whatever Nintendo chooses it'll be proprietary, but maybe not as restricting as the GOD format (full-sized, normal capacity, normal price, etc.).

It still could be possible that MS upgrades to HD-DVD or that Nintendo just goes with a cheaper full-sized DVD format? But saying that they both use HD-DVD...ports between the systems would be pretty easy (as they both use the same hardware partners & disc format) which could be good leveraging against PS3's BR format, but Sony has alot of leverage with movie content for BR so it may just make the HD-DVD format even less viable for competiting system's? Or, another possibilty is that Nintendo & MS could use BR along with Sony...but I think that's unlikely going on what we know now. Nintendo & MS could also both just "stay with" DVD which means they could keep drive costs & licencing fee's SUPER cheap which could be good against PS3, but the problem is that PS3 BR ports would be very difficult to pull off. However, let's say people aren't ready for a next generation movie format and PS3's format ends up not being used so much 'cos it's the only system that uses it and/or is more expensive and Nintendo & MS sticking with DVD not only save money, but also staying out of the HD-DVD vs BR problem & end up alienating PS3 'cos of it. Not very likely, but it could happen. Also, the HD-DVD group may want some footing against BR so they may want to use the next X-BOX and/or "Revolution" as platforms to do so...which could mean they'll offer the technology to MS & Nintendo at a discount?

jarrod

Banned
I expect....

PS3~ BD-ROM (DVD/CD compatible)
Revolution~ GOD2-ROM (GOD/DVD/CD compatible)
Xenon~ DVD-ROM (CD compatible)

ge-man

It's hard to tell, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a BR variant (just like the GOD is a DVD variant). My main worry is if they will have comparable storage. I don't care if their next format isn't compatible with the last home video format as long as they have something that won't give developers another reason NOT to support their system.

tenchir

JoshuaJSlone said:
It could affect ports/multiplatform games if each had a significantly different maximum capacity.

That depends, there's only so much you could put in an average size game. I think the average current gen games are 2 GB assuming it's not stuffed with demoes/trailers. It's not as if FMV are going to be used often, hell most games this generation don't use it anymore when they have powerful hardware for the cutscenes. Imagine how much power they will have for next gen hardware, why bother making expensive FMV then? I don't see how game content(textures, levels) will double considering you will have better compressions. The same with audio, you can't really improve with audio in nextgen, you have either DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, or DPLII.

There aren't many game that uses DVD9(if you were to take out the demoes/trailers). If Nintendo were to come out with a medium that's either based on BR or DVD(but with more space and dual layers capabilities?), then they shouldn't have any problems as long as it's at least double the size of their GOD disc.

GigaDrive

Banned
Revolution will use 8-track tapes :lol

I don't think the next X-BOX will be using HD-DVD, that rumored spec sheet was actually only a DVD-like format, which would keep it simple and keep costs down for the system.

Rumors suggest that Nintendo is considering a next generation blue laser format (BR or HD-DVD) as well as DVD playback & BC in their next system. HD-DVD & BR are both backwords compatible with DVD so both are likely. Matsushita/Panasonic back both HD-DVD & BR, but it's still not known if Nintendo is working with Panasonic again on the drive and/or format. Nintendo IS working with NEC though, who (along with Toshiba) is a major backer of HD-DVD, so who knows? Whatever Nintendo chooses it'll be proprietary, but maybe not as restricting as the GOD format (full-sized, normal capacity, normal price, etc.).

It still could be possible that MS upgrades to HD-DVD or that Nintendo just goes with a cheaper full-sized DVD format? But saying that they both use HD-DVD...ports between the systems would be pretty easy (as they both use the same hardware partners & disc format) which could be good leveraging against PS3's BR format, but Sony has alot of leverage with movie content for BR so it may just make the HD-DVD format even less viable for competiting system's? Or, another possibilty is that Nintendo & MS could use BR along with Sony...but I think that's unlikely going on what we know now. Nintendo & MS could also both just "stay with" DVD which means they could keep drive costs & licencing fee's SUPER cheap which could be good against PS3, but the problem is that PS3 BR ports would be very difficult to pull off. However, let's say people aren't ready for a next generation movie format and PS3's format ends up not being used so much 'cos it's the only system that uses it and/or is more expensive and Nintendo & MS sticking with DVD not only save money, but also staying out of the HD-DVD vs BR problem & end up alienating PS3 'cos of it. Not very likely, but it could happen. Also, the HD-DVD group may want some footing against BR so they may want to use the next X-BOX and/or "Revolution" as platforms to do so...which could mean they'll offer the technology to MS & Nintendo at a discount?

great post. you cover alot of possibilities, which is all one can do at this point.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
DrGAKMAN:

> HD-DVD & BR are both backwords compatible with DVD so both are likely.

No they're not.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"but the problem is that PS3 BR ports would be very difficult to pull off"

IF the game goes over the size of dual DVD disk that is.

Nintendo Medium : E-Reader cards.

Each game will be stored on 150,000 cards - all of which must be entered each time you play.

The idea is to give fat spotty children arms like popeye from swiping in so many cards, so that they can eventually work as slaves in Nintendos crystal mines , deep in the heart of Kyoto.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
It won't have a storage medium, the Revolution is in the fact that Nintendo will wirelessly upload games to your brain from central command in Kyoto.

Ar_

It will use Pizza, solving forever all problems of lack of 3rd party support.
The REVOLUTIONary Pizza Drive will employ 2 lasers, red and white, to read simultaneously the tomato and cheese patterns, leaving the Blu-Ray's single blue laser to eat the flour dust.

This new device will offer awesome Added Value. PS3 can be used to play games and also movies and cds? And so?
REVOLUTION(!) will double its useulness as a MICROWAVE OVEN, bringing all a true videogaming geed really needs in a single package.
No endangering of your health anymore, with those long nd stressing walks to the kitchen; you will be able to sit truly full time and resemble even more the looks of your hero Mario!

Mature content support by adding hot sausage and pepper to the media, combined with an innovative business model - Nintendo will start ask a low and appropiate 85% royalty fee to the whole food industry, in addition to the videogaming one - will spell Success!

A sample of the new Nintendo Mature Content courtesy of VGCats:

040919.jpg

PS3 is DOOMed.

ninge

I came into this thread expecting to see lots of silly answers - not dissapointed!

I am VERY dissapointed that it took 17 posts for someone to say "cartridges are the future!" tho. What's going on guys - you slacking?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
B-B-Bomba! said:
I'm hoping for vinyl.

Edit: But to be fair to your earnest question, I think it will use a high density laser disc format ... I'll go out on a limb and suggest proprietary once more?

Me too :D

Top Bottom