• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Metal Gear Solid games are worse (or not as good) as The Twin Snakes?

sphinx

the piano man
as a NGC-Only owner back in the day I played Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes and I thought it was a nice game, I had never played anything MGS before.

I thought it was a great production with a nice setting, interesting narrative, if a bit exaggerated and good replay value with the tags collectathon and the different difficulties but I know there are polarizing opinions on this game, personally I consider the game good.

since I never owner a console that played any of the mainline games I haven't had any other contact with the most games in MGS series, however, I remember trying multiple times getting into MGS: Portable Ops for PSP and damn that game sucked, I could never make it past the first couple of areas/enemies, so yeah that would be the game I'd consider not as good as TWW.

In this thread we are to consider all spin-offs across home and handheld consoles, not just main, numbered games.also, explain yourself and try to be objective in your comparisons

liquidtmd

Banned
V is a worse Metal Gear game than Twin snakes

I enjoyed V but I felt the MGS I loved truly died with Snake Eater

Edit: I get the feeling I'm going to be quoted infinitely now. To add context, I felt Twin Snakes was more my preference to a MGS setting. The ticking clock. The tighter setting. The still goofy yet still not as barmy as V narrative. Im not saying V to be controversial, I genuinely enjoyed it but far less than Twin Snakes. V felt removed from the series that I'd played upto 4. I recognise V played better than 4 but I still rank it above V for subjective reasons

LewieP

Portable Ops is indeed awful.

I didn't really get on with Peace Walker either.

I think they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but the mainline numbered games all offer something worthwhile.

I think Metal Gear 1/2, and MGS hold up well in some regards, but have dated quite badly in others.

Jawmuncher

I don't think any of the games are really bad. They all kind of kept above a quality line imo. Even the weaker titles like Twin Snakes aren't really bad. This is including spinoffs.

I guess you could argue VR missions might be the weakest game out of them all. But even that has its merits.

Expect portable ops and portable ops +. Those games are easily the worst Now that I remember. Good for the time, but they don't hold up now. Having to drag people back to the car every time, like what?

Dat first post. I haven't played twin snakes but I can honestly see this being the case. People say it unbalances the game design, but the first MGS is hardly a pinnacle of that in the first place. It wasn't until MGS2 that the gameplay caught up with the presentation.

liquidtmd

Banned
MGS V is a masterpiece though

It plays very well but the narrative...it didn't hook me. One jot. I'm all for Kojima craziness but an hour or two in, whereas every other MGS experience had me hooked, MGSV just left me cold.

It didn't improve. I finished it but it felt like a chore. MGSV play mechanics in a ground up remade MGS1 setting and narrative would be my perfect game.

RootCause

Twin Snakes is the best version of mgs1. No point in plying the original, if you've got that one.

Worse:
Peace Walker(can't believe they followed up Portable Ops with this hot mess)
MGS1

Everything else is as good, if not better than TTS.

MGS Twin Snakes was my first MGS game. I liked it, went on to play MGS2 and MGS3 and really enjoyed them. I didn't enjoy MGS4 anywhere near as much, and decided to part ways with the series then.

Regarding the Gamecube remake though, I really don't get what all the fuss is about. Twin Snakes plays great, looks good, sounds good, and is a very competently-put together game. I know there are cutscene and voice-acting differences, and some altered mechanics that are apparently a bit out of place (not that I noticed while playing), but its still a great game, and the level of vitriol and disdain it gets still to this day, baffles me.

People say that its cutscenes are absurd, but there are absurd cutscenes on MGS2, 3 and 4 with an equally OTT tone, so I really don't get why TTS is so hated by a very loud group of fans. Still, they are entitled to their opinion of course.

TTS is trash on almost every level,

This is sort of what I mean. The game I played looked and sounded good, and played well. I enjoyed it, and went to check out the sequels. How is it "trash on almost every level"? Is it entirely related to comparisons to the original PSX game?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I don't get why people despise Twin Snakes so much. It has the control improvements of MGS2, looks better, and Mei Ling sounds better. My only issue with it is the over the top anime cutscenes.

I never understood the hate Twin Snakes get. Can someone explain it to me?

The cut scenes are worse, the voice acting is worse, the level design of the original is ruined, MGS1 was never meant to have MGS2's mechanics and they didn't change enough to compensate for them. The "MGS is always ridiculous!" argument is bunk, the TS cutscenes are on a whole 'nother level, not the same kind of silly that Kojima does. It's edgelord bullshit that was hot because the Matrix just came out so there's lots of bullet time and Snake backflipping off of rockets and it's all completely stupid but in a bad way because it actually thinks it's really cool.

It shouldn't exist.

Vanadium

Twin Snakes is only bad if you played through the PS1 game a few times.

The correct answer is Portable Ops. Or PoOps as I prefer to call it.

Jack cw

Twin Snakes wasnt so bad. Though it's the worst mainline MGS in terms of acting and the Kitamura FMVs. Insert snakerocketdodge.gif here.

MGS3 and V are the best ones, MGS2 however suffered a lot from it's convoluted story. MGS4 is special to me but objectively it has a lot of faults. I love them though.

I'd say that Portable Ops or Peace Walker are among the weakest MGSs coupled with the Acid spin offs.

RootCause

Lmao good one. TTS is trash on almost every level, it ruins the level design of mgs1
Not when you can play it without going into first person, or avoid using hanging maneuvers.
The funniest thing is watching people complain about it being unbalanced, but yet can't stop themselves from using all the new mechanics. Deep down, they know the og mechanics are ass.

I don't get why people despise Twin Snakes so much. It has the control improvements of MGS2, looks better, and Mei Ling sounds better. My only issue with it is the over the top anime cutscenes.
And it can be played as the original.

MGS V is a masterpiece though

Yeah with it's cut scenes and great villain that the series is known for as well as the boss fights.

I'm gonna say MGS4. The acts are forgettable. Act 3 was the worst and Act 4 would have been the same if it weren't going back to
Shadow Moses

oldmario

Nintendo exclusive of traditionally playstation franchise.

it's not that it's the fact they shit all over the PS1 game with no emotion in the VA, the soundtrack is some piece of shit early 00's drum and bass-a-thon and then there's the OTT
even by mgs standards
oh i need to get to the other side of this door frame lets do a summersault over it

christ even MGR isn't this dumb and that game is a pile of platinum trash

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
4, Peace Walker and 5 are all much worse than Twin Snakes, which was a decent game with some niggling flaws.

3 = 1 > 2 >>> TS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4/PW/5

KJRS_1993

The Twin Snakes is the best way to play the original MGS storyline and anyone who disagrees is overly nostalgic and wrong and you should probably just add them to your block list.

MGSV is also a worser game than it.

Also, hard MGS fans saying the cutscenes are stupid (which they are) but also using that fact against the game is amusing.

Mafro

The cut scenes are worse, the voice acting is worse, the level design of the original is ruined, MGS1 was never meant to have MGS2's mechanics and they didn't change enough to compensate for them. The "MGS is always ridiculous!" argument is bunk, the TS cutscenes are on a whole 'nother level, not the same kind of silly that Kojima does. It's edgelord bullshit that was hot because the Matrix just came out so there's lots of bullet time and Snake backflipping off of rockets and it's all completely stupid but in a bad way because it actually thinks it's really cool.

It shouldn't exist.
I love how worked up people get over the cutscenes. Game plays better than MGS1 and that's why it's better.

Jack cw

Nintendo exclusive of traditionally playstation franchise.

Pls. Console warrior bullshit theories are just as bad as those cutscenes...
tumblr_mt4my7VCxq1ra3l4ho1_400.jpg

Jamix012

My Personal Ranking (of the MG games I've played):

Metal Gear Rising
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear 1

Everything above MGS 4 is amazing. 4, TPP and PW are decent, but Acid, MG1 and the little I played of portable ops are not worth playing.

Rising is it's own kettle of fish, and if you enjoyed TS' over the top antics, Rising is right up there with it but it's definitely a different game entirely. 3 is simply one of the best stealth games ever made and is an experience, definitely worth it. Also 2 is great as a direct follow up to TTS/1, so get on that and avoid spoilers.

LordRaptor

I love how worked up people get over the cutscenes.

If MGS4 ever gets a remaster rerelease I can't wait for people to declare how it shits all over the intent of the original and ruins it by removing watching Snake chain smoke for upwards of 5 minutes realtime while the game installs before every level.

Zee-Row

Banned
One thing I hated about Twin Snakes other than the cutscenes and voice acting is that the E3 trailer for the game spoiled every important cutscene in its 10 minute trailer. It kind of gave me a reason not to buy it because I knew what all the updates cutscenes looked like.

Woffls

Hoping for objectivity in a Metal Gear thread is... optimistic. Not because we are too invested in it to think clearly, but because the series can be seen from a number of perspectives each holding different qualitative value.

There's nothing to stop this turning into another MGS1 vs Twin Snakes thread without end, but for a laugh here's my dumb opinions about this dumb game I really like for dumb reasons:

2 > TS > 1 > 4 > V > 3 > PW

RootCause

I love how worked up people get over the cutscenes. Game plays better than MGS1 and that's why it's better.
I can't understand them...

They complain about fpv, somersaults, hanging maneuvers, and the tranq gun. You know, all the things you can avoid completely in the game. But then they wouldn't have something to complain about.

I'm willing to concede the cutscenes when compared to the original release. It fit the tone of the game better.

Every mainline MGS is better than twin snake

Again, this confuses me. I enjoyed MGS:TS a lot more than I enjoyed MGS4. I felt that TS was more fun to play, had a better story, gave me greater freedom, had better bosses and character interactions, and was a far better self-contained package with a much tighter focus.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I'm certainly of a different view.

One thing I hated about Twin Snakes other than the cutscenes and voice acting is that the E3 trailer for the game spoiled every important cutscene in its 10 minute trailer. It kind of gave me a reason not to buy it because I knew what all the updates cutscenes looked like.

As someone who had never played the original before, I remember the trailers making me very interested in Twin Snakes. With no context from which to compare the cutscenes, it just looked like an intriguing product to play, and I certainly didn't feel spoiled.

I get it would be different though had you played the original, and were invested in seeing what had changed.

Jack cw

If MGS4 ever gets a remaster rerelease I can't wait for people to declare how it shits all over the intent of the original and ruins it by removing watching Snake chain smoke for upwards of 5 minutes realtime while the game installs before every level.

It's not about this fancy crap.
What made MGS1 so special was that the "grounded" cutscenes showed a guy infiltrating a nuclear disposal facility facing some of the best soldiers with special abilities and that one guy was able to take them out with his skill and experience. It made Snake look like a real soldier and gave him this "legend" status.

What happened in Twin Snakes was the exact opposite. A superhero with Neo like powers riding on missiles, dodging bullets with supernatural movements and out of this world martial arts that even made Gray Fox look like an amateur. You never had the feeling this guy could ever fail with his mission and that is what never worked with the MGS premise to begin with.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Hoping for objectivity in a Metal Gear thread is... optimistic. Not because we are too invested in it to think clearly, but because the series can be seen from a number of perspectives each holding different qualitative value.

There's nothing to stop this turning into another MGS1 vs Twin Snakes thread without end, but for a laugh here's my dumb opinions about this dumb game I really like for dumb reasons:

2 > TS > 1 > 4 > V > 3 > PW

caac4f470749f4bde1ee0735c0dee13d.gif

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
The beef with Twin Snakes back then was the MGS 2 style gameplay effectively breaks the game (for those who played the playstation game first.) The First Person shooting changes everything about the game and folks hate change. This was also right in the middle of the of the fanboy wars and Nintendo exclusives, no matter how dope they could be were going to be frowned upon by some.

Also
the cutscenes were directed Ryuhei Kitamura. Anybody remember the movie Versus? Over the top was huge back in the 2000's and they went full on crazy with some of those scenes.

For what it was I enjoyed the hell out of TTS but I only had a Dreamcast and a GameCube at the time.

V is a worse Metal Gear game than Twin snakes

I enjoyed V but I felt the MGS I loved truly died with Snake Eater

Edit: I get the feeling I'm going to be quoted infinitely now. To add context, I felt Twin Snakes was more my preference to a MGS setting. The ticking clock. The tighter setting. The still goofy yet still not as barmy as V narrative. Im not saying V to be controversial, I genuinely enjoyed it but far less than Twin Snakes. V felt removed from the series that I'd played upto 4. I recognise V played better than 4 but I still rank it above V for subjective reasons

Sure, if you don't care about gameplay.

so1337

Seriously, though.

You get the best characters and the best story from MGS1.

You get the best gameplay from MGS2.

Et voila. Best Metal Gear.

Top Bottom