• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What should Square Enix do to make Final Fantasy relevant again?

legacyzero

Banned
Sakaguchi hasn't made anything worth caring about sans SE, I don't see why bringing him back would fix anything.

How.......DARE YOU?!

LostOdyssey.jpg

Avallon

The OP frames his opinion as general problems with the series that every gamer has, and that is not fair. I enjoyed the Final Fantasy XIII arc and am eagerly anticipating Lightning Returns... how about you give the game a fair chance before you write it off as garbage?

RMI

Banned
Bring back airships, knights, castles, wizards and Olde Worlde settings. No more annoying teens in lame sci-fi worlds.

This and also have Amano do the character designs.

Have to echo the sentiment that Final Fantasy is still relevant, even if we don't always like it. Along with Dragon Quest and Pokémon it's like one of the top RPG franchises

sorry pal, FFXIII-2 is enough for me, no more torture, please?

anyway, I'm still waiting for Bravely Default
and I love SaGa series except the Unlimited crap

Sakaguchi hasn't made anything worth caring about sans SE, I don't see why bringing him back would fix anything.

Shimomura, Ishimoto, and Hamauzu are all amazing composers, but I wouldn't mind an Uematsu OST.

I'm already positive FF15's OST will cause angels to descend and bring peace to the world.

LO was more FF than XII and XIII. No doubt FFXV will be great, its made by Tabata and Tetsuya Nomura, Yoko Shimomura is a great composer, game has written awesome all over it. _O_ Its what comes afterwards I'm afraid of, Nomura will go back and make KH3, will the team from XIII come in place for FFXVI?

legacyzero

Banned
The OP frames his opinion as general problems with the series that every gamer has, and that is not fair. I enjoyed the Final Fantasy XIII arc and am eagerly anticipating Lightning Returns... how about you give the game a fair chance before you write it off as garbage?

I gave both XIII and XIII-2 a chance, ya'know, for the love of the franchise. Came away with a big SMH both times. Although I would say that I did enjoy XIII-2 a tad bit more than the game before it.

I have little to no interest for LR. My point is, it's hard not to write the game off as garbage when not one but TWO games before it were pretty much just that.

"Fool me once, fool me twice" etc, etc.

Avallon

I gave both XIII and XIII-2 a chance, ya'know, for the love of the franchise. Came away with a big SMH both times. Although I would say that I did enjoy XIII-2 a tad bit more than the game before it.

I have little to no interest for LR. My point is, it's hard not to write the game off as garbage when not one but TWO games before it were pretty much just that.

Opinions all around. I enjoyed XIII and platinumed XIII-2. The ending of XIII-2 left me yelling at my TV screen: "WHAT??!?" and Lightning returns will wrap up the saga. I, for one, am interested in seeing how things play out.

Opinions all around. I enjoyed XIII and platinumed XIII-2. The ending of XIII-2 left me yelling at my TV screen: "WHAT??!?" and Lightning returns will wrap up the saga. I, for one, am interested in seeing how things play out.
If you notice that Fabula Nova Crystallis is actually XIII, Versus, and Type-0, then you know that they actually split the original game into 3, and make you pay for each, just like Starcraft

kswiston

This and also have Amano do the character designs.

Have to echo the sentiment that Final Fantasy is still relevant, even if we don't always like it. Along with Dragon Quest and Pokémon it's like one of the top RPG franchises

The last time they did this, the franchise lost close to 3 million sales worldwide. Final Fantasy IX was pretty much the worst main selling entry in the west (not counting MMOs) since the SNES days. People don't want Final Fantasy throwbacks. Final Fantasy Dimensions, 4 Heroes of Light, and Bravely Default offered a more retro feel in recent years and none of them exactly set the sales charts on fire.

Manu

If you notice that Fabula Nova Crystallis is actually XIII, Versus, and Type-0, then you know that they actually split the original game into 3, and make you pay for each, just like Starcraft

The FNC games happen in their own universes and aren't related at all.

Skilletor

How.......DARE YOU?!

LostOdyssey.jpg

Boring game, slow ass battle system, amazingly long load times, shit characters and writing whose only saving grace are short stories far more interesting than the scenarios in game.

LO was more FF than XII and XIII. No doubt FFXV will be great, its made by Tabata and Tetsuya Nomura, Yoko Shimomura is a great composer, game has written awesome all over it. _O_ Its what comes afterwards I'm afraid of, Nomura will go back and make KH3, will the team from XIII come in place for FFXVI?

I don't know what "more FF" means in light of the fact that they're extremely different. In this case I suppose you mean game design stuck in the SNES era, since that's what LO was.

But all of Sakaguchi's games last gen were better than SE's efforts last gen.

Nah. I guess we don't count their handheld output when talking about what SE has done? The World Ends With You > anything Sakaguchi in the past decade.

And my point is FNC are XIII, Versus, and Type-0. Not XIII, XIII-2, LR:XIII
To be honest, I enjoy playing Type-0 more than XIII, and still waiting for the fan-made translation, since the actual localization attempt are slim because PSP is dead

Whompa

It's nothing like Starcraft...at all...Starcraft 2 is one story split into 3. FNC is LORE, not a story, split into 3 different universes.

kswiston

I was talking about the lone XIII in FNC suddenly split into 3

Starcraft 2 was planned as 3 installments. The Final Fantasy XIII sequels are just after the fact cash-ins to recuperate more of the sunk costs that went into developing FFXIII's engine and assets. FF13 was complete on its own. It's not the same thing at all.

To help get FF back on track? Never has there been an easier question to answer.

Look at the development and direction in FFXIII and all subsequent games.

Now... do the opposite.

Bam. Fixed.

Whompa

To be completely honest, I'm kind of tired of the ,"ye olde world" setting.

That being said, the whatever the hell sci fi setting in FF13 made me puke. Well modeled but garbage concept.

Gotta find that middle ground.

Arthea

Boring game, slow ass battle system, amazingly long load times, shit characters and writing whose only saving grace are short stories far more interesting than the scenarios in game.

I don't know what "more FF" means in light of the fact that they're extremely different. In this case I suppose you mean game design stuck in the SNES era, since that's what LO was.

Nah. I guess we don't count their handheld output when talking about what SE has done? The World Ends With You > anything Sakaguchi in the past decade.

You are entitled to your opinion I guess, but if LO is boring so is every FF ever. So you must choose wisely, your words.
Then again no, LO > TWEWY and any other SE game this gen.
So hiring him back might be a good idea, not gonna happen though.

Look at FFXIII, say "let's not do this again" then look at the old FF games and use them as inspirations. I would love to see a FF9 type of FF but with modernized gameplay and next-gen graphics.

Manu

I would love to see a FF9 type of FF but with modernized gameplay and next-gen graphics.

Personally I'm fine with "ye olde" settings in the MMOs, I like it in ARR, but mainline games? Nah, I want all of them to look and feel different. FFIX feels like it tries too hard to get some of the old FF feeling but doesn't quite pull it off imo.

Skilletor

You are entitled to your opinion I guess, but if LO is boring so is every FF ever. So you must choose wisely, your words.
Then again no, LO > TWEWY and any other SE game this gen.
So hiring him back might be a good idea, not gonna happen though.

We're polar opposites then, because I disagree with everything you just said. Aside from it not happening. Which is great. Keep him away from the series.

So agree to disagree. :)

RPGCrazied

Kill Lightning. :p They just need to back away from that universe. I really do hope Lightning Returns is it.

A lot of redeeming qualities it looks like in FF 15, but we will see.

massoluk

Banned
Yeah, easy fix for me, make another old school numbered FF with pre-rendered background, moogle, crystal, and all the nostalgia trap.

IvorB

I agree that they need to go back to Final Fantasy XII and work from there. That was a modern, fresh view on the series that they should have stuck with. Now they are playing catch up to all the other great, modern JRPGs coming out like Dragon's Dogma, Souls games etc.

Top Bottom