• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Sony Worldwide Studios are working on

A lot of talk lately about PS5 has no games and how their studios have nothing to show. And this is 100% true but let’s take a look about what’s exciting on the horizon and discuss

Sony Bend

The days gone directors have left (in grumpy fashion based off Twitter) and as I understand taken a lot of senior staff behind DG with them. So this is essentially a brand new team. They are working on an unreal engine 5 open world game with heavy multiplayer elements but that will implement the emergent open world elements of days gone. So expect to be attacked out of nowhere by dynamic AI systems!

Insomniac

Well all their shit leaked so up to the mid 2030s they are working on Wolverine, Venom, Spider-Man 3, X-Men, Ratchet and Clank PS6 and a new original IP!

Bluepoint

Actually their stuff leaked during the insomniac leak as well. Not much is known but we have concept art of Humanoid figures wielding bo staffs exploring floating sky pyramids. Their game is also an original IP. A first for the studio.

Media Molecule

By some miracle of god they are not shut down and on a new project. The creative director behind little big planet and dreams departed so their next project may be a bit different. I understand that a lot of senior staff from the LBP days are still there so their charm will likely remain intact. They are currently working on a new IP and it is said to be much more video game like than dreams. So more LBP than Dreams. A course correction for the studio after dreams flopped and got flak for being more of a creation engine.

Sucker Punch

Ghost of Tsushima 2. We can reasonably expect Ghost of Tsushima 2 based off linkedin leaks, job postings, and the leaker who accurately leaked the PC port down to the announcement date and release date also said they are doing Ghosts 2 so there you have it.

Naughty Dog

Post factions cancellation they have multiple (2) projects in the works. The Last of Us 3 is confirmed by Neil. And we can also expect a New IP from them. It’s unknown which will come first or any details about either.

Sony Santa Monica

Not much is known about their upcoming projects. It is rumored one team is doing an original IP sci fi game led by Cory. The Ragnarok team is rumored to be doing another god of war related project. Of all their studios though this may be the one we have the least clarity on.

Guerrilla Games

This studio is going all in on horizon. In the insomniac leak we got footage of their Horizon multiplayer project. It is unknown if this is moving forward still or cancelled though. In addition they are also working on Horizon 3. And may be assisting with a Horizon 1 remake.

Firesprite

New kid on the block. Unproven but intriguing. A lot of you may not be familiar with them but they are being set up as a premier AAA first party studio. They have multiple projects in the works and currently is a rumored original IP single player story driven horror game. It seems they’re aiming to play in the same space as naughty dog, insomniac, Santa Monica, as in, making high quality single player only character driven experiences. It remains to be seen whether they will succeed but it’s certainly exciting.

Housemarque

After the modest success of returnal they are working on a New original IP.

Last edited:
If anyone working at playstation has an IQ above 70 they’d host a showcase before 2025 and show off every single project I just outlined. A show with 9-10 world premieres would be seismic. Gargantuan. The fans would go crazy.

The stars have aligned for them because everyone here except maybe media molecule SHOULD be more than ready to show SOMETHING. The dev times have all coincided to where they should all be very progressed right now

Last edited:
Playstation Studios is making a third-person, cinematic, over-the-shoulder action game. Surprise!
We’ll see. There’s a lot of new IP. Media Molecule ain’t doing the third person cinematic thing. Bend’s project sounds more arcadey fun than movie ish like days gone. Bluepoint and Housemarqe ain’t doing no cinematic movie game. And naughty dog new IP Neil said will “redefine perceptions of gaming as an art form” and he is taking inspiration from Elden Ring.

So there’s presumably some stuff that’ll be different.

ND is definitely doing new IP before Part 3. Based on Neil’s comments, it sounds like it’s barely in the conceptual stage.
You speak true. It should be ready to be revealed as team 2 has moved to TLOU3 post factions cancel but team 1 should have been working on the new IP since TLOU2 or maybe even before. And I could be mistaken but aren’t they even a 3 team studio now?

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
If anyone working at playstation has an IQ above 70 they’d host a showcase before 2025 and show off every single project I just outlined. A show with 9-10 world premieres would be seismic. Gargantuan. The fans would go crazy.

Us gamers don't like it, but Sony has a different approach to marketing these days.

They announced Astro Bot just 4 months ago. And it has about a 60-65% chance of winning GOTY this year.

Until Dawn is coming out in less than a month (though it will probably under perform based on the layoffs and the lack of advertising for the game).

Then there is also Lego Horizon Adventure coming out Q4.

I think we'll see a state of play next week featuring games like Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid Delta, Dragon Age, Dragon Ball Sparking, Assassin's Creed Shadows, and maybe Metaphor.

Many of these will feature at TGS.

At TGS I think we COULD potentially see Ghost of Tsushima 2 revealed.

Sony likely will do some sort of showcase by the end of the year, but it is also tricky to coordinate projects across studios across multiple years, while not distracting teams from doing the work to get games out as soon as possible. Just look at the process Naughty Dog went through on getting a reel out for TLOU2...

vivftp

Good list OP.

Naughty Dog - they're currently working on a new IP under Neil, so that should be their next release. It stands to reason that TLOU Part 3 is in pre-production and will move to full production some time after the new IP ships. I do also suspect Naughty Dog brought the new Uncharted game back in-house once Bend was taken off of it back in early 2021, or at least they're partnering with someone else (ie. VASG) on it

Other studios not on your list:

Haven - working on Fairgame$

Polyphony - likely working on GT8

Asobi - just released Astro Bot. One would hope they're working on a remake of Astro Bot Rescue Mission for PSVR2. Beyond that, it's anyones guess. Hopefully the studio does decide to grow a bit so they can become multi-project

Neon Koi - mobile studio working on a live service game of some sort

Bungie - Continuing to support Destiny 2 while working on Marathon

New studio split off from Bungie - working on Project Gummy Bear, formerly a Bungie project

Firewalk - released Concord which was pulled. TBD what will happen with Concord and the studio going forward.

And for the heck of it, I'll just quote The Great List of viv, which illustrates how I think the next 5 years will play out for Sony from SIE published content and third party console exclusives (timed or otherwise). The disclaimer at the top breaks down the sort of items in the list

Ok, current list of how I think the rest of the gen could play out. It's not factoring in any data from the Insomniac hack and just goes with what I already had. This is announced content, leaked, rumored, deduced, speculated and includes console exclusives. This is based on the guess that this gen will go until holiday 2028, and it also encompasses an additional 1 year cross-gen period, so up until holiday 2029. This list is what I think will be on the lower end of things and in fact there will be FAR FAR FAR more content in reality, but I gotta start somewhere! Missing from the list are things we can't yet anticipate like more of the Hero project games, first party tentpole DLCs (which usually land around 1 year after release), PSVR2 titles, mobile games we're not yet aware of and more. I'm now sorting it by SIE published and third party games, so enjoy the Great List of viv
(feel free to let me know what's missing)

First Party & SIE Published:

Neon Koi's game
Spider-Man 2 DLC
Lost Soul Aside
Convallaria
LEGO Horizon Adventure
Death Stranding 2 On The Beach
Jason Blundell's game
Until Dawn PS5/PC
Wolverine
MLB25
Marathon
Neil Druckmanns game (new IP)
Fairgame$
Bluepoints game
Horizon Online game (Guerrilla games)
Horizon MMORPG (NCSoft)
Cory Barlogs game (new IP)
Destiny 2 post-The Final Shape content
Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster
One of the two game-type metaverse titles Jim Ryan mentioned
Bloodborne PS5/PC
Spider-Man smaller title ala Miles Morales (probably Venom)
MLB26
Ghost of Tsushima 2
Housemarque new IP
Gravity Rush Collection PS5/PC
LEGO Horizon Adventure 2 (Forbidden West)
Jak & Daxter remaster/remake of some sort (assuming there is a movie)
Media Molecules next game
Uncharted (ND/VASG collab)
Bend new IP
Gran Turismo 8
Dark Narrative from Firesprite
Horizon 3
Ember Lab XDEV game
Sumo Digital game
God of War next mainline entry
MLB27
Havens next game after Fairgame$
Ratchet & Clank sequel to Rift Apart
From Software XDEV game
Ghost of Tsushima Legends 2
Team Asobi game (another one)
Ballistic Moon game (maybe?)
MLB28
Project Ooze
One of the two game-type metaverse titles Jim Ryan mentioned
TLOU Part 3
Spider-Man 3
MLB29
Physint
Destiny 3
Action sci-fi game from new studio spun-off from Bungie
Destiny Rising (Bungie/Netease)

Third Party Console Exclusives (timed or otherwise):

Little Devil Inside
Baby Steps
Wuthering Waves
Sword of the Sea
Phantom Blade 0
Silent Hill 2 Remake
Project Mugen
Unending Dawn
Project Jinyiwei
Loulan
AI Limit
DokeV
Crimson Desert
Meteora: The Race Against Space Time
Fishbowl
Mukti
Requital: Gates of Blood
Suri: The Seventh Note
KOTOR
Final Fantasy 7 part 3
Project Awakening
Infinity Nikki

Previous 12 Months For Reference:

Spider-Man 2
TLOU Part 2 Remastered
Helldivers 2
MLB24
ULTROS
Rise of the Ronin
FF7 Rebirth
Foamstars
Stellar Blade
Firewall Ultra
Zenless Zone Zero
Honkai Star Rail
Destiny 2 The Final Shape
Granblue Fantasy Relink
Concord (pulled, future TBD)
Astro Bot

Last edited:

Msamy

The stars have aligned for them because everyone here except maybe media molecule SHOULD be more than ready to show SOMETHING. The dev times have all coincided to where they should all be very progressed right now
90٪ of those project wont be ready before 2027, so dont expect them to show them now, sony shit management for first party studios this gen is the reason for that, dont expect them to show any new game from first party in the remaining of 2024, aside from blue point new game and maybe very little chance that they will show wolverine

Us gamers don't like it, but Sony has a different approach to marketing these days.

They announced Astro Bot just 4 months ago. And it has about a 60-65% chance of winning GOTY this year.

Until Dawn is coming out in less than a month (though it will probably under perform based on the layoffs and the lack of advertising for the game).

Then there is also Lego Horizon Adventure coming out Q4.

I think we'll see a state of play next week featuring games like Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid Delta, Dragon Age, Dragon Ball Sparking, Assassin's Creed Shadows, and maybe Metaphor.

Many of these will feature at TGS.

At TGS I think we COULD potentially see Ghost of Tsushima 2 revealed.

Sony likely will do some sort of showcase by the end of the year, but it is also tricky to coordinate projects across studios across multiple years, while not distracting teams from doing the work to get games out as soon as possible. Just look at the process Naughty Dog went through on getting a reel out for TLOU2...
They managed this spectacularly every single e3 up until 2020 when they got complacent and lazy

TLOU 2 demo was lengthy and intricate. For example, if bluepoint did a reveal, you get some narration, camera showing environments, our lead character reveal, tease of gameplay, dramatic music, HARD CUT TO TITLE. A quick little 2 min trailer. Again, ALL of them except maybe media molecule should have enough right now for something like that.

I understand most of them maybe couldn’t do a 10 min gameplay demo. Though some could do that as well I reckon. Like bend, bluepoint, housemarque

90٪ of those project wont be ready before 2027, so dont expect them to show them now, sony shit management for first party studios this gen is the reason for that, dont expect them to show any new game from first party in the remaining of 2024, aside from blue point new game and maybe very little chance that they will show wolverine
That would be awful :/// I hope you’re wrong but it is hard to have hope

Bend hasn’t shipped a game since 2019. Bluepoint 2020. Housemarque 2020. Naughty dog 2020. Sucker punch 2020. Media molecule 2020. Guerrilla 2021. And firesprite hasn’t shipped any game for PlayStation yet. So none. The average here is 4-5 years and counting, soon to be 5-6 years for these studios with nothing to show.

You forgot the best ones:

- Haven working on Fairgame$. TPS focusing on heists.
- New secret team lead by Jason Blundell probably working on a new FPS.
- New team (~100) of ex-Bungie developers working on Project Gummy Bears (FPS Moba).
Was aware of Haven. Omitted it as I rewatched the trailer and didn’t think it was something this board would be interested in

I’m intruiged by those last 2 could you tell me more? What’s the source? Those aren’t featured on the official PlayStation website.

nnytk

Neo Member
Was aware of Haven. Omitted it as I rewatched the trailer and didn’t think it was something this board would be interested in

I’m intruiged by those last 2 could you tell me more? What’s the source? Those aren’t featured on the official PlayStation website.
Project Gummy Bears sounds like a Splatoon style thing. I'm kind of into it.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
they got complacent and lazy
That doesn't actually make any sense, you do know the games are still being made right?

Like...they don't need to tell you its happening for the development to continue actually working on the game....

They are simply no longer telling you years in advance. tbh I don't even know what that information today is going to do for you... all it does is set up their teams to meet either unrealistic expectations or fuck up marketing windows when they wanted to market its reveal and trailers in 1 go.

After all these blunders if they show these fkn games it would shut everyone up, hurry tf up

Astro wasn't enough!
lolz, no they won't. They'll find some other shit to cry about and then speculate on all those trailers. I see it doing more harm then good.

Wouldn't the Astrobot devs be working on something new too?
ok, but now that they are done with Astrobot, we fucking need to see that new LINE OF CODE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /s

Msamy

That would be awful :/// I hope you’re wrong but it is hard to have hope

Bend hasn’t shipped a game since 2019. Bluepoint 2020. Housemarque 2020. Naughty dog 2020. Sucker punch 2020. Media molecule 2020. Guerrilla 2021. And firesprite hasn’t shipped any game for PlayStation yet. So none. The average here is 4-5 years and counting, soon to be 5-6 years for these studios with nothing to show.
I truely Hope that i am wrong but by what they showing in 2024 its hard to beleive that they have any titles ready to shown, for those who said sony has new strategy and announced astro bot 3 months before release, astro bot is casual game not need that match ads and trailers to show it, but hardcore games needs at least one year before its release of ads and trailers, dont even think ND or s. S.S.M to show new game 3 months from its release this just imagination thoughts

Last edited:
That doesn't actually make any sense, you do know the games are still being made right?

Like...they don't need to tell you its happening for the development to continue actually working on the game....

They are simply no longer telling you years in advance. tbh I don't even know what that information today is going to do for you... all it does is set up their teams to meet either unrealistic expectations or fuck up marketing windows when they wanted to market its reveal and trailers in 1 go.

lolz, no they won't. They'll find some other shit to cry about and then speculate on all those trailers. I see it doing more harm then good.

ok, but now that they are done with Astrobot, we fucking need to see that new LINE OF CODE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /s
I think you misunderstand. It makes perfect sense. For literal decades and especially e3 2015-when they pulled out year after year it was “LOOK AT OUR UPCOMING SOFTWARE! THE GRAPHICS! THE SETPIECES! THE GAMEPLAY!” They worked hard on these demos as evidenced by the last of us 2 behind the scenes. They’d drop 3-5 world premieres in a single show. That’s effort EDMIX.

And since then it’s not even 1/100th of that. “Oh yeah here’s some little Spider-Man 2 demo we threw together. Only one of the show.”

“3 years since a world premiere announcement? Yeah whatever.”

“Have a short cgi trailer for fairgames instead of gameplay”

“our profit margins are aight and casuals are buying our console faster than free drugs sooo yeah no show for over a year or two”

That’s a lack of effort EDMIX. I made an entire post about what they’re working on. I understand the concept of games studios working on games dude. What I said still makes sense

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
They managed this spectacularly every single e3 up until 2020 when they got complacent and lazy

Complacent and lazy are code words for I don't understand and I don't care.

The longer development times take the more any additional work becomes a distraction. Creating multiple trailers is a massive distraction.

TLOU 2 demo was lengthy and intricate. For example, if bluepoint did a reveal, you get some narration, camera showing environments, our lead character reveal, tease of gameplay, dramatic music, HARD CUT TO TITLE. A quick little 2 min trailer. Again, ALL of them except maybe media molecule should have enough right now for something like that.

You're comparing Naughty Dog and one of Sony's most important franchises to Bluepoint who has not yet made an original game and most of the games they have remade or remastered have not been narrative-driven...

I just don't know why people can't have honest discussions with honest comparisons.

I understand most of them maybe couldn’t do a 10 min gameplay demo. Though some could do that as well I reckon. Like bend, bluepoint, housemarque

People get angry when they get teasers and games don't come out soon.

Look how much leaked from Wolverine vs what they put in their teaser in 2001... These studios have a lot they're working on but because we don't see it we assume they're not doing anything... Astro Bot literally didn't exist on anyone's radar 4 months ago. In fact many thought Asobi wasn't working on a platformer at all.

This was just 2 years ago... to the date...

I truely Hope that i am wrong but by what they showing in 2024 its hard to beleive that they have any titles ready to shown, for those who said sony has new strategy and announced astro not 3 months before release, astro bot is casual game not need that match ads and trailers to show it, avatar but hardcore games needs at least one year before its release of ads and trailers, dont even think ND or s. S.S.M to show new game 3 months from its release this just imagination thoughts
Yeah I don’t get that counter either. There’s no way the big guns are gonna get surprise revealed at some show and be on shelves less than half a year later. 0 chance. I’d eat my shoe if most of these don’t have over a year gap between announcement and release. Hell look at Wolverine.

Complacent and lazy are code words for I don't understand and I don't care.

The longer development times take the more any additional work becomes a distraction. Creating multiple trailers is a massive distraction.

You're comparing Naughty Dog and one of Sony's most important franchises to Bluepoint who has not yet made an original game and most of the games they have remade or remastered have not been narrative-driven...

I just don't know why people can't have honest discussions with honest comparisons.

People get angry when they get teasers and games don't come out soon.

Look how much leaked from Wolverine vs what they put in their teaser in 2001... These studios have a lot they're working on but because we don't see it we assume they're not doing anything... Astro Bot literally didn't exist on anyone's radar 4 months ago. In fact many thought Asobi wasn't working on a platformer at all.

This was just 2 years ago... to the date...
No they’re actually just code words for complacent and lazy. Long dev times aren't new. Where have you been? The games they showed off in prior E3s had absurd dev times. Last guardian, last of us 2, god of war, days gone, ghosts of Tsushima. Dreams. I could go on. It seems like maybe it’s you who doesn’t understand what’s going on?

Not gonna acknowledge the bluepoint thing because you didn’t understand my premise, but as for your last point, that’s a silly argument. A very silly argument. Fans are mad NOW, posts on social media reeping likes and retweets are shitting on them for having no games. With none in sight. You can’t just presuppose “oh uhhh people will be mad if they announce early” and call it a day. Bullshit. You think Joe Walmart is gonna care? Hell the enthusiast on this board aren’t gonna care. If that were true I guess everyone’s mad at wolverine huh? Now it’s gonna flop? No. Nobody is talking about when they announced it and it’ll sell phenomenally

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Studios that could very easily, maybe even likely, close down in the next 2-3 years

Bend Studios
Media Molecule
Firesprite
Firewalk

And Haven is TBD

Firesprite was a bad buy from the get go and Firewalk had their priorities askew.

The most disappointing one on the list is Media Molecule, who could have been a massively successful studio. It's entirely possible that the top 4 listed never release another game for SIE.

Studios that could very easily, maybe even likely, close down in the next 2-3 years

Bend Studios
Media Molecule
Firesprite
Firewalk

And Haven is TBD

Firesprite was a bad buy from the get go and Firewalk had their priorities askew.

The most disappointing one on the list is Media Molecule, who could have been a massively successful studio. It's entirely possible that the top 4 listed never release another game for SIE.
We actually agree on this.

Firewalk is done. 100%. I didn’t even include them.

Bend should be sweating. The disgruntled ex game director leaked on Twitter that their budget is ballooning to something absurd. (Wasn’t it like 200M that he said?) and it’s seriously not a guarantee it will be a commercial success. They are also very glacial. The gap between days gone and their project before DG and now the gap between DG and new IP. Huge each time.

Media molecule I’m mystified is even still around. They have to have a video of Herman fucking some hooker or something. To use as blackmail.

Firesprite we’ll see. They’ve been around for awhile with nothing to show. But maybe their project isn’t expensive? Regardless I doubt they’d get canned before finishing at least one project. The suits probably wanna see if they can move units, generate sales. If they do manage to capture that market of graphically impressive single player third person story games they could actually be an A lister going forward.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
No they’re actually just code words for complacent and lazy. Long dev times aren't new. Where have you been? The games they showed off in prior E3s had absurd dev times. Last guardian, last of us 2, god of war, days gone, ghosts of Tsushima. Dreams. I could go on. It seems like maybe it’s you who doesn’t understand what’s going on?

I don't know what you do for a living, but what you should realize is that Sony adjusted their practices based on leaks to journalists like Jason Schrierer and to reduce churn. You say, "Oh it worked in the past." But what you don't realize is that the employees didn't think it was working and when management didn't listen to them they went to journalists and glass door to complain. All of which makes recruiting and staffing difficult without changes in policy.

Not gonna acknowledge the bluepoint thing because you didn’t understand my premise, but as for your last point, that’s a silly argument. A very silly argument. Fans are mad NOW, posts on social media reeping likes and retweets are shitting on them for having no games. With none in sight. You can’t just presuppose “oh uhhh people will be mad if they announce early” and call it a day. Bullshit. You think Joe Walmart is gonna care? Hell the enthusiast on this board aren’t gonna care. If that were true I guess everyone’s mad at wolverine huh? Now it’s gonna flop? No. Nobody is talking about when they announced it and it’ll sell phenomenally

The internet isn't real. You think it is, but it isn't. You're looking at echo chambers, think it reflects the market, but it doesn't.

Again, don't know what you do for work, but people do this for a living, and they largely make plans and roadmaps around METRICS... actual data.

Data that almost certainly says that advertising for games early has no tangible benefit to sales in most cases, but only costs more money and uses more resources...

I don't know what you do for a living, but what you should realize is that Sony adjusted their practices based on leaks to journalists like Jason Schrierer and to reduce churn. You say, "Oh it worked in the past." But what you don't realize is that the employees didn't think it was working and when management didn't listen to them they went to journalists and glass door to complain. All of which makes recruiting and staffing difficult without changes in policy.

The internet isn't real. You think it is, but it isn't. You're looking at echo chambers, think it reflects the market, but it doesn't.

Again, don't know what you do for work, but people do this for a living, and they largely make plans and roadmaps around METRICS... actual data.

Data that almost certainly says that advertising for games early has no tangible benefit to sales in most cases, but only costs more money and uses more resources...
Now that’s a completely separate argument/conversation you’ve pivoted too since I debunked the first one about dev times

Did you… read my rebuttal? You strawmanned the literal opposite of my argument dude lol. “Look man, Joe Walmart is not going to care about announcement to release windows, they’ll sell fine”

“well Arkhamguy… the internet isn’t real, you’re just in the enthusiast bubble” like what?? Lol

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
There approach to waiting until those games are near release to shown them off has been working just fine.

I don't know any fucking person that will buy a game years in advance based on a title screen today vs years later when they see a trailer and a release date and the game is actually being shown.

I buy a lot of games, I've yet to buy a game based on some shit I saw years before release, I'm generally buying based on what it looks like near release, not solely based on how a title screen looked like at some event 5 years ago lol

I'm not even sure where anyone is getting that anyone even gives THAT much of a fuck about any of that, consumers care about what they can get their hands on soon, this tic tok generation probably forgot about this thread and you made it about an hour and a half ago lol

aka Tik Tok generation, 15 seconds of fame is already too long generation lol
(that shit 4 seconds to them now) lolz

All lolz aside, I'm not buying shit based on years of a marketing window, I care more when its near release and we can see its current build, not a title screen, not some CGI trailer, talk to me when its a near final thing like we got from Demon Souls, Horizon FW, Fallout 4 etc. I don't see any evidence that this is that important to the majority of consumers. Fifa, Madden, Assassin's Creed, Call Of Duty and many more break tons of records merely showing those trailers for the first time mere months before release.

Again...I do not see that majority care about this, they care about what they can get in their hands soonish

giphy.webp

There approach to waiting until those games are near release to shown them off has been working just fine.

I don't know any fucking person that will buy a game years in advance based on a title screen today vs years later when they see a trailer and a release date and the game is actually being shown.

I buy a lot of games, I've yet to buy a game based on some shit I saw years before release, I'm generally buying based on what it looks like near release, not solely based on how a title screen looked like at some event 5 years ago lol

I'm not even sure where anyone is getting that anyone even gives THAT much of a fuck about any of that, consumers care about what they can get their hands on soon, this tic tok generation probably forgot about this thread and you made it about an hour and a half ago lol

aka Tik Tok generation, 15 seconds of fame is already too long generation lol
(that shit 4 seconds to them now) lolz

All lolz aside, I'm not buying shit based on years of a marketing window, I care more when its near release and we can see its current build, not a title screen, not some CGI trailer, talk to me when its a near final thing like we got from Demon Souls, Horizon FW, Fallout 4 etc. I don't see any evidence that this is that important to the majority of consumers. Fifa, Madden, Assassin's Creed, Call Of Duty and many more break tons of records merely showing those trailers for the first time mere months before release.

Again...I do not see that majority care about this, they care about what they can get in their hands soonish

giphy.webp
That works both ways though. Casuals don’t care about anytbing as you noted the tik tok gen are just dopamine zombies bro. But with that, I’m right, and you’re also right. Because they announce it in advance, tik tok normie still buys it, they announce it right before, tik tok normie still buys it.

So since, as you’ve stated yourself, most of the market doesn’t care, why not throw a bone to the hardcore fanbase and show off your shit in advance like you did for decades prior and it worked just fine? Them showing off PS4 games for the PS5 Pro and getting clowned on in the mainstream may be an indicator that they should start to show their hand more ya know?

Last edited:
LMAO but for their sake I hope he’s not just bloviating

Replaying TLOU 2 now. nakeyjakey spoke true. Their game design gettin kinda old. The cinematic game thing is becoming a little tired. And I’m a huuuuge ND fan. Grew up with their games. They’ve made some of my favorite games of all time but… yeah.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
We actually agree on this.

Firewalk is done. 100%. I didn’t even include them.

Bend should be sweating. The disgruntled ex game director leaked on Twitter that their budget is ballooning to something absurd. (Wasn’t it like 200M that he said?) and it’s seriously not a guarantee it will be a commercial success. They are also very glacial. The gap between days gone and their project before DG and now the gap between DG and new IP. Huge each time.

If you look at the glassdoor reviews around Bend, they aren't positive and were almost certainly highly critical of Jeff Ross. Note these reviews should be taken with a grain of salt, but Ross left about a month after being called out on glass door. The next director either left Bend or left being the director just a few months ago... So not the most promising sign.

Media molecule I’m mystified is even still around. They have to have a video of Herman fucking some hooker or something. To use as blackmail.

Media Molecule historically had a great track record. I'll never understand the failure to monetize Dreams. It seems they had a PC port completed or near completed but it was decided not to publish almost at the exact same time Sony brought Roblox to PS5 and they had layoffs. Most of the founders have left the studio. They're still around because they've really never released any poorly received games.

Firesprite we’ll see. They’ve been around for awhile with nothing to show. But maybe their project isn’t expensive? Regardless I doubt they’d get canned before finishing at least one project. The suits probably wanna see if they can move units, generate sales.

Look at their track record before Sony bought them and look at their glassdoor reviews. The studio has no future. They were brought on because Sony wanted a VR studio most likely because London Studio wasn't hacking it and now they're not even doing that. They almost certainly were going to be responsible for Twisted Metal, but someone must have put the kibosh on that.

The guy they brought from Lucid who was probably running Twisted Metal has already been let go or left. Gone in May 2024 after about 2 years at the studio without putting out a game. He is not credited on Call of the Mountain.

They have a VERY large staff for a studio that doesn't produce anything. They've cut their studio by 50% in the last few years. Maybe they have a project that they're working on, but I wouldn't be surprised if it never sees the light of day or if they close immediately after releasing.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Now that’s a completely separate argument/conversation you’ve pivoted too since I debunked the first one about dev times
How is it a pivot? Development times are longer now than they've ever been. Studios are adjusting strategies. What "worked" in the past doesn't necessarily work now. What do you think you've debunked exactly?

Did you… read my rebuttal? You strawmanned the literal opposite of my argument dude lol. “Look man, Joe Walmart is not going to care about announcement to release windows, they’ll sell fine”

Your argument is people on the internet are angry. My rebuttal is the market doesn't reflect that.

So your response is what? The market doesn't matter it's the internet that matters?

“well Arkhamguy… the internet isn’t real, you’re just in the enthusiast bubble” like what?? Lol

See above.

If you look at the glassdoor reviews around Bend, they aren't positive and were almost certainly highly critical of Jeff Ross. Note these reviews should be taken with a grain of salt, but Ross left about a month after being called out on glass door. The next director either left Bend or left being the director just a few months ago... So not the most promising sign.

Media Molecule historically had a great track record. I'll never understand the failure to monetize Dreams. It seems they had a PC port completed or near completed but it was decided not to publish almost at the exact same time Sony brought Roblox to PS5 and they had layoffs. Most of the founders have left the studio. They're still around because they've really never released any poorly received games.

Look at their track record before Sony bought them and look at their glassdoor reviews. The studio has no future. They were brought on because Sony wanted a VR studio most likely because London Studio wasn't hacking it and now they're not even doing that. They almost certainly were going to be responsible for Twisted Metal, but someone must have put the kibosh on that.

The guy they brought from Lucid who was probably running Twisted Metal has already been let go or left. Gone in May 2024 after about 2 years at the studio without putting out a game. He is not credited on Call of the Mountain.

They have a VERY large staff for a studio that doesn't produce anything. They've cut their studio by 50% in the last few years. Maybe they have a project that they're working on, but I wouldn't be surprised if it never sees the light of day or if they close immediately after releasing.
You’ve done your homework. I didn’t even know that about bend. Yikes. Last time a single player only studio going into multiplayer had Glassdoor reviews ringing the alarm bell it was rocksteady with suicide squad so… yikes.

Also firesprite I didn’t know that either. That’s a yikes. It will ALL come down to their cinematic horror game I guess. They better pray it sells amazingly.

Last edited:
How is it a pivot? Development times are longer now than they've ever been. Studios are adjusting strategies. What "worked" in the past doesn't necessarily work now. What do you think you've debunked exactly?

Your argument is people on the internet are angry. My rebuttal is the market doesn't reflect that.

So your response is what? The market doesn't matter it's the internet that matters?

See above.
It was a pivot because it was a completely separate argument and topic? Again though since you’re coming back to it, dev times have been long for quite awhile now dude

And no, again, strawmanning the exact opposite of what I’m saying, (actually kind of impressive to do twice in a row) my argument was, you said that people will be “angry” if they announce too early right? I’m saying no they won’t, that’s not going to affect sales, just announce it early like you used to

Last edited:
Firesprite we’ll see. They’ve been around for awhile with nothing to show. But maybe their project isn’t expensive? Regardless I doubt they’d get canned before finishing at least one project.
They released Horizon Call Of The Mountain 18 months ago.

Even before they were part of SIE they worked closely with them, collaborating with Playroom and Playroom VR on visual design.

They invented Astro Bot as a character.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Even in 2025-Direct we won't see teasers for these projects.
Probably will be focused on 2025-26 releases with one massive SP and one massive MP (Horizon) game.

Firesprite we’ll see. They’ve been around for awhile with nothing to show. But maybe their project isn’t expensive? Regardless I doubt they’d get canned before finishing at least one project. The suits probably wanna see if they can move units, generate sales. If they do manage to capture that market of graphically impressive single player third person story games they could actually be an A lister going forward.
Firespite was making a horror game right. Sci fi Action Horror would check all these boxes.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
You’ve done your homework. I didn’t even know that about bend. Yikes. Last time a single player only studio going into multiplayer had Glassdoor reviews ringing the alarm bell it was rocksteady with suicide squad so… yikes.

Yeah, I try to have sound analysis.

Not all is rosie for SIE nor is it the end of the world either, but they do have to manage the existing environment around labor relations. I think part of the layoffs in the industry apart from simply reducing costs are about sending a message to employees to buck up. A lot of people don't see what is going on in the industry but a lot of people are outright leaving the industry. It doesn't pay a lot for junior employees and its long hours. Then there is a whole generation that doesn't even know what work is and do not mesh with current studio leadership.

PlayStation Studios is likely going to need to trim down their studios because a lot of them simply aren't cutting it and they cost A LOT to operate.

Even the "good buys" they made with Housemarque and Bluepoint are on shaky terms. I think they just tried to grow too fast because of all of the stuff that was happening in the industry around M&A and a lot of these studios had eyes bigger than their stomachs.

Also firesprite I didn’t know that either. That’s a yikes. It will ALL come down to their cinematic horror game I guess. They better pray it sells amazingly.

Yeah, would not be surprised if Herman drops the axe on them. You have to understand how much pressure he is on to have a strong operating income now that he is CEO of a business group. Some of these studios are destroying his margins and all they care about is having well stocked fridges and clubs.

If I'm Herman, I'm closing at least two studios in the next two years and expanding Asobi and taking a strong look at buying FromSoftware.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
It was a pivot because it was a completely separate argument and topic? Again though since you’re coming back to it, dev times have been long for quite awhile now dude

And things change in response.

And no, again, strawmanning the exact opposite of what I’m saying, (actually kind of impressive to do twice in a row) my argument was, you said that people will be “angry” if they announce too early right? I’m saying no they won’t, that’s not going to affect sales, just announce it early like you used to

It's not just that people get angry, so take that with a grain of salt. The bigger issue is the expense of doing it versus the reward.

Again, data almost certainly shows that its not worth it. Sony has an entire marketing team that studies sales patterns and they're probably not seeing any drop off or negligible drop off when waiting to announce games nearer to their release.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
That would be the most ass lineup they could possibly come up with.

2 shitty remakes, Bioware's funeral, DBslop, AssCreed and notSMT??? Talk about a dud.

Top Bottom