• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell makes Cloud and Sephiroth so special?

Eric-GCA

Banned
Really, I've been trying to figure out the craze behind these two characters for a long time now. Honestly, maybe it was something new to people back when the game was released, but just by examining the characters, I can't figure out why they both have endured for so long in people's minds despite being only in one game (not counting KH).

Maybe it goes with the whole FF7 love-fest around the world, but still, I've come across better developed characters.

gay sex appeal.

I think it was the conflict factor.

Sephiroth was a REAL video game villain. Its been awhile since we've had someone with that much impact. IMO. The village sequence was awesome and for the time; the brilliant FMV really hit home

Cloud. He had a big sword. Which means he had a big.. wink wink. Um He had all the ladies to pick and chose from. Aeris/Tifa/Yuffie. I'd say identification with Cloud came mostly when Aeris died.

I think it has to do with the PSX being the first "cool" console, and thus, a higher rate of exposure. Add that with the new-fangled "3D" and "OMFG, characters made of 100 polygons somehow seem to look just like real life" (facetious), and you have a whole lot of people seeing their first RPG and making the characters more popular.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Eric-GCA said:
Really, I've been trying to figure out the craze behind these two characters for a long time now. Honestly, maybe it was something new to people back when the game was released, but just by examining the characters, I can't figure out why they both have endured for so long in people's minds despite being only in one game (not counting KH).

Maybe it goes with the whole FF7 love-fest around the world, but still, I've come across better developed characters.

FF7 pretty much kicked off the genre in the US (for many people), so it isn't really suprising. In a way, it's kinda like the whole "Link" craze. I mean, at least Cloud and Sephiroth were actually characters. Link is nothing more than an avatar for the player through the world of the Zelda games. Yet, people go nuts when Link shows up somewhere...

Lil' Dice

Banned
They were both the the brainchild of a Japanese man......other than that, no one outside the RPG community knows who they are.

Tre said:
Err, I wouldn't say Cloud had much character.

"..."

Yeah, whole lot of character.

Samus Aran has a lot of character, and she doesn't say a word in Metroid. Sometimes, character actions and motive are more important than actual dialog.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Littleberu said:
Samus Aran has a lot of character, and she doesn't say a word in Metroid. Sometimes, character actions and motive are more important than actual dialog.

Well yeah, that's true...

ICO had a fantastic cast, but there was very little dialog throughout the game (and half of it was not even initially possible to understand). I was very impressed with how emotional the game could become with so litte dialog...

"Samus Aran has a lot of character,"

Bullshit. She's no different from other soulless Player puppets who only serve as an avatar. (See Link).

Lil' Dice

Banned
Tre said:

Bullshit. She's no different from other soulless Player puppets who only serve as an avatar. (See Link).

LOL! She has about as much charm as a blow-up doll in a super duper space suit....

Pimpbaa

Tre said:
I think it has to do with the PSX being the first "cool" console, and thus, a higher rate of exposure. Add that with the new-fangled "3D" and "OMFG, characters made of 100 polygons somehow seem to look just like real life" (facetious), and you have a whole lot of people seeing their first RPG and making the characters more popular.

I 100% agree with this post. If they were in some later FF game, they wouldn't be as popular.

Socreges

Banned
dark10x said:
FF7 pretty much kicked off the genre in the US (for many people), so it isn't really suprising. In a way, it's kinda like the whole "Link" craze. I mean, at least Cloud and Sephiroth were actually characters. Link is nothing more than an avatar for the player through the world of the Zelda games. Yet, people go nuts when Link shows up somewhere...
What do you mean "yet"? That's exactly it. People have controlled Link in several games and idolize him with the franchise.

Eric-GCA

Banned
anotheriori said:
two main angsty bishes (with somewhat cyberpunk style) from the most mainstream playstation ('omfg cool' console) rpg?
IAWTP :)

I much prefer a more optimistic "I can do this!" protagonist than someone who whines all the time.

Tre said:

Yes she is different. She's not afraid to go hunt Ridley. You won't see her stop in her way to save a planet or something. It's her mission and fuck the rest. I really like that attitude. But when she sees Ridley, it's personnal.

It's actually very deep.

Or hell, look at the MP2 video, when she enter Dark World. She's not affraid. She just go in, without knowing what's behind.

Lil' Dice

Banned
Littleberu said:
Yes she is different. She's not afraid to go hunt Ridley. You won't see her stop in her way to save a planet or something. It's her mission and fuck the rest. I really like that attitude. But when she sees Ridley, it's personnal.

It's actually very deep.

Or hell, look at the MP2 video, when she enter Dark World. She's not affraid. She just go in, without knowing what's behind.

Actually, i think it's more like: "Ooh! a neat little glowing control panel....lemme lock on to it and download some useless info!"

Lil' Dice said:
Actually, i think it's more like: "Ooh! a neat little glowing control panel....lemme lock on to it and download some useless info!"

Huh. The player downloads the info, it's not like Samus would do it. Samus would probably just do her missions without stopping like I said.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I've always often perceived it due to the immense popularity that FF7 received when it hits the US.

As enjoyable as FF7 was, I know many people who have played the past FF titles will always say someone like Celes, or Cecil or even Butz had more impact. All comes down to personal prefence as well as a huge spice of nostalgia.

My favourite RPG character happens to be Sten from BoF2, but we won't pursue why :p

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I never understood what was so special about Cloud. I mean, he's not a bad character, but he's certainly not "OMG BEST CHARACT3R EV3R!" material either.

Sephiroth, on the other hand...how can you not think Sephiroth is cool as shit? He has such amazing presence.

But it is also true that Kefka >>> Sephiroth.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
It was all about the angst, motherfuckers. Don't you fuckers know? Cloud and Sephiroth laid down the foundation for Linkin Park. Shit, Cloud and Seph are Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda, bitches.

ANGST!

Sho Nuff

Banned
UHRRR! Nobody likes me!!! I don't care about anyone else!!! Oh wait I'll use the power inside me and my band of heroes will save the world!

whatever

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
The main characters in the best selling RPG ever, a genre partly driven by story and characters, at least in Japan. Think of it like that, and it suddenly makes sense.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
The thousands of people who dress up like them for ever damn convention known to man. That's what makes them special and what makes me hate them.

P90

Cloud got on my nerves. Sephiroth's coolness was his genetic samaraui scthick. Cool FMV helped enormously.

My fave characters from FF VII were Barrett (regret, care of child, etc.- adult issues), Aeris, and Red XIII.

Insertia

Part of the reason, with the exception of FF7's success, is because visually they were well designed characters. Something that wasn't typical in RPG characters at the time.
They looked more like action characters than the typical medieval RPG fruitcakes.

And I agree that Kefka>>>>Sephiroth
Kefka doesn't have as much renown as Sephi because he wasn't an obvious badass.

Personally I like Kuja over Sephiroth. :p I think my reasoning can explain itself... or rather I'm sure someone on this forum could.

I ask myself this everytime I go to GameFAQS. I just don't get how people idolize a punk lackey grunt with a ridiculous haircut, and a "supremely powerful" bishie who was bested by said grunt. :p

Boogie9IGN

They both blow.

One-Winged Angel makes Sephiroth tolerable though

kefka.jpg
>
sephiroth.jpg

locke.jpg
>
cloud.jpg

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Never played FF7 but after reading/watching Berzerk it seems like:

Gutts = cloud

Griffith = Sephiroth

Am i far off? Is this common knowledge?

Also Nosferttu Zodd = Gouki/akuma hehehe

etiolate

Banned
1. Star characters of what would be the first RPG for many people
2. Said "many people" are a generation that for some reason (sterile overdeveloped suburbs?) identify with the meaningless angst that runs through the game. Linkin Park, Emo, etc.
3. Gay appeal of characters.
4. These traits reinforced by game community, at that time, overblowing the game.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Doc Holliday said:
Never played FF7 but after reading/watching Berzerk it seems like:

Gutts = cloud

Griffith = Sephiroth

Am i far off? Is this common knowledge?

Also Nosferttu Zodd = Gouki/akuma hehehe
GOD NO, Beserk deserves far better than that comparison. Fuck I'd love to play and RPG which stars a character like Gutts.

Phoenix

Eric-GCA said:

FF7 was a very strong RPG at a time when the mass market was getting sucked into the PLaystation. It is no surprise then that the protagonist/antagonist are well remembered. This is almost like asking what makes Han Solo so special. Sure there are better developed characters in the movie world, but this one was 'in the right place at the right time' to be remembered.

Phoenix

TekunoRobby said:
The thousands of people who dress up like them for ever damn convention known to man. That's what makes them special and what makes me hate them.

You hate them because people like them? This is like some recessive gene in our species...

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Phoenix said:
You hate them because people like them? This is like some recessive gene in our species...
I was being facetious. My real sentiments fall along the line of being incredibly "tired" of the cosplayers (not the characters) you master of wit you.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I personally think Square pulled off one of the biggest videogame hornswoggles ever with the release of FFVII.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the game, but as most of us should remember ALL that commercial showed as CG from the game. No actual gameplay (block polygons) or even summons.

Sure there were lines of people queued up at stores all over the US to get it... they thought they were getting a game that looked like all the CG from the commercials. In the end FFVII doesn't seem to have opened the RPG market up that much more IMO. US RPGs still only sell... ok for the most part. I still continue to enjoy them... but Square got over bigtime on FFVII in the US if you ask me.

Cain>Shadow>Zell>LuLu>Palom & Porom>Mog>Edge>Cloud>ViVi>A Chocobo>A frog> A piggy> that kid that tells you Chocbos a cute but they stink>Squal>A blade of grass>The airship>GoGo>Umaro>Biggs>Wedge>Inn Keeper>dirt>Tidus :D

Seriously it was the first heavly advertised RPG and the first for many people, FF6 had comericals with Mog in an office interviewing monsters or something but FF7 had a media blitz on MTV. Like FF4 for me it always will be my favorite cause it was my first FF with a heavy story for me. I thought FF7 a good game not RPG OF TEH FOREVA!!1111!! it didn't ahave anything as memorable as the opera scene, or the gathering of fallen heroes to fight Zeromus. Alos the endng (refuse to go into that) and the final fight wasn't much of a fight at all and it hasn't been in FF since.

Phoenix

DarienA said:
In the end FFVII doesn't seem to have opened the RPG market up that much more IMO. US RPGs still only sell... ok for the most part. I still continue to enjoy them... but Square got over bigtime on FFVII in the US if you ask me.

That does not fempute, with Square being a Japaneese company and all - and with Japaneese RPGs from square still pimping on average 1 million + units in sales.

Top Bottom