• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell makes Cloud and Sephiroth so special?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Phoenix said:
That does not fempute, with Square being a Japaneese company and all - and with Japaneese RPGs from square still pimping on average 1 million + units in sales.

My original sentence was worded poorly and should should say that RPGs once they get released in the US have not seen any type of huge upswing or downswing in terms of sales #'s since the relesae of FFVII.

firex

I've been playing through ff6 lately. I have to say, after not playing the game for about 7 years, if it weren't for the world of ruin part of the game I wouldn't give a shit about any of the characters. They aren't very special.

They aren't the complete fucking travesty that every FF cast since then has been, though, but 6's characters are either boringly dull until their mini-backstory quests in the world of ruin, or angsty as fuck (Celes).

Tabris

Cloud was the first protagonist to show some real depth (By actually having some issues to deal with. Insecurities, Facades and Angst.) in an RPG.

Sephiroth, well to explain why I like the character, I would have to get into the underlying story of final fantasy vii. Which would both take too long, and be disregarded by people who don't think video games are a possible medium for higher degree of story-telling. (We would have to get into what sephiroth symbolizes and his motivation).

Actually, everything I love about FFVII would be disregarded by a majority of the posters (or the out-spoken posters) on this board. None of them consider video games a plausible medium for story-telling in the way movies and books are.

WarPig

HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW

Oh, wait, I do have one thing to say:

Cloud was the first protagonist to show some real depth (By actually having some issues to deal with. Insecurities, Facades and Angst.)

In other words, Cloud was the first RPG protagonist to deeply resonate with a sizable audience of introverted teenagers.

DFS.

Tabris

While in contrast, Kefka was just about the malice. There was nothing else to him.

Now while I personally think he was a wicked cool antagonist, he was as 1 dimensional as they come. It was just that his 1 side was so interesting.

EDIT: Well I owned this thread :p

Tabris

WarPig said:
In other words, Cloud was the first RPG protagonist to deeply resonate with a sizable audience of introverted teenagers.

DFS.

I'm an introverted adult, thank you very much :p

Top Bottom