• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

I understand your point, but that only holds true if the rumor in question is incorrect about there being several unannounced 3DS games. If that's the case then as 10k points out it's harder to argue that NX HH needs to be released this year. Or should be released this year. Because you don't want it competing strongly with NX HH and gamers saying well, there are so many good new games for 3DA, why do I need an NX HH? I guess on the flip side it seemed Nintendo has already referred to NX as a third pillar-esque platform a la DS. So...we shall see. I guess by that same token though I think they only said they plan to continue to support Wii U with games despite planning to launch NX. I don't think they said that about 3DS, though maybe I missed it or am misremembering or maybe it wouldn't have made sense to say in that specific context in which they discussed Wii U continuing to get games. Also, the third pillar-esque talk could be similar to DS where in retrospect they seemed to be hedging their bets and hoping for DS to be the successor and not a third pillar. So...whatever the heck is going to happen with NX is anyone's guess. 😵
My point is that, at the very least, the NX Handheld probably needs to be out this year for Japan. And you are correct about Nintendo claiming that support for the 3DS & Wii U will continue. But you also have to remember that the same was said about the GBA going into the launch of the DS. And the rumor could be talking in context of the West concerning the localization of games that have yet to be announced for us (Example: Rhythm Heaven Plus). Pokémon Z/X2-Y2 will probably serve as the swan song of the 3DS, while Federation Force could buy the 3DS some time until the NX Handheld drops. But besides the former (which has yet to even be officially confirmed), Nintendo doesn't seem to be putting a lot of effort into their 3DS games that we know of as of late (that aren't late localizations). You could say the same for the Wii U, but Paper Mario U could change that idea.

People ITT who know a lot about tech: do you expect Zelda U to be reasonably ported to however strong you expect the NX handheld to be? My previous understanding was that the tech consensus ITT was that the HH would not be as powerful as Wii U.
Probably, I imagine the NX handheld will be able to do visuals similar to 360/Ps3/WiiU at a lower res (540p). I could see a few visual downgrades like lower res textures, less grass, lower quality shadows and/or more aggressive LOD.

maxcriden

My point is that, at the very least, the NX Handheld probably needs to be out this year for Japan. And you are correct about Nintendo claiming that support for the 3DS & Wii U will continue. But you also have to remember that the same was said about the GBA going into the launch of the DS. And the rumor could be talking in context of the West concerning the localization of games that have yet to be announced for us (Example: Rhythm Heaven Plus). Pokémon Z/X2-Y2 will probably serve as the swan song of the 3DS, while Federation Force could buy the 3DS some time until the NX Handheld drops. But besides the former (which has yet to even be officially confirmed), Nintendo doesn't seem to be putting a lot of effort into their 3DS games that we know of as of late (that aren't late localizations). You could say the same for the Wii U, but Paper Mario U could change that idea.

Haha of course I remember Nintendo said that about DS, that's exactly what I was trying to say in my post avour the DS and third pillar stuff 😜 sorry if I was unclear, I know that was a bit stream of consciousness on my part. ☺ anyway, I do concur with everything you wrote. As to Paper Mario, I think a la Pokémon Z for 3DS it could be a swan song for Wii U just as the original PM was for N64. But absolutely could be right that it may be indicative of additional SW to come for Wii U of a level that 3DS could be less likely to receive in terms of new SW. We just don't know. My only point is that it's possible PM could be the Wii U exclusive swan song with the console and cross-platform Zelda releasing this year, and even that Nintendo could release NX HH holiday 2017 and release 3DL and Luigi's Mansion sequels for 3DS in the meantime. I'm less convinced the latter will happen, but I don't really know what to think at this point. We just don't know either way what their strategy will be, and there are good arguments to be made for both sides. To me the idea of the console releasing this year in the West and the HH releasing this year in JP seems the safest argument, but...so much is going to depend on what these systems are, how they relate to one another, and what games are coming to them and to their predecessors or to more than one of these systems.

TheMoon

If Nintendo is keeping up the policy of approving third party spin-offs such as Hyrule Warriors, Pokken, and #FE, then I wouldn't be surprised in the least if one of Bandai-Namco's other games turned out to be a Soul Calibur style game starring Fire Emblem characters. It seems like a real no-brainer.

Code:
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/felegendsjgu3k.jpg[/IMG]

Vita is great but its already hitting a few walls with its current hardware

Still the best portable but I expect the NX portable to be more powerful and its not like Sony is making another one

So as a loving Vita owner myself I hope Nintendo gives us something GOOD with the NX portable

Hopefully building on the cool shit and crossover we saw with PS4/Vita but done better

Pif

Banned
Not really.
B0050SWYTC_2.jpg

This is all very subjective of course. But for my eyes it looks like the same generation of device could power Killzone and that mobile UE4 tech demo.

B0050SWYTC_2.jpg

This is all very subjective of course. But for my eyes it looks like the same generation of device could power Killzone and that mobile UE4 tech demo.

Its gorgeous and a technical achievement but Im sure engineering and art direction played a big role in how good it looks

We know the specs and limits of current Vita hardware and I imagine off the shelf components are already going to be pushing beyond the Vita spec at this point

Exciting times if they plan to make the NX handheld as good as or better than the Vita

maxcriden

Probably, I imagine the NX handheld will be able to do visuals similar to 360/Ps3/WiiU at a lower res (540p). I could see a few visual downgrades like lower res textures, less grass, lower quality shadows and/or more aggressive LOD.

Thanks for the info. So that is really odd to me as an idea then, that Wii U and NX HH would launch Zelda simultaneously with no NX console out yet. That theory confuses me because at that point it doesn't seem terribly exciting to a consumer to get a downgraded HH port of the new big Wii U release, and its NX releasebat all at that point would strongly imply the definitive version would likely come to, and be worth waiting to get, on the NX console. Just seems like it would make for confusing messaging for the product.

Its gorgeous and a technical achievement but Im sure engineering and art direction played a big role in how good it looks

We know the specs and limits of current Vita hardware and I imagine off the shelf components are already going to be pushing beyond the Vita spec at this point

Exciting times if they plan to make the NX handheld as good as or better than the Vita
I have no doubt the NX handheld will be stronger than the Vita, probably a little closer to the 360 in terms of graphical capabilities than the Vita, though obviously with more modern hardware and support.

Kssio_Aug

I'm just wondering the prices of both the handheld and the home console if Nintendo aims to great hardware power this time. Hopefully they won't release a console that's more expensive than Xbox One in NA, neither something much more expensive than a 3DS or a Vita. I'd sacrifice a bit of hardware for better prices. Not sure how the mobile tech (and prices) has evolved these years though.

I have no doubt the NX handheld will be stronger than the Vita, probably a little closer to the 360 in terms of graphical capabilities than the Vita, though obviously with more modern hardware and support.

Yeah

Even if they went the budget component route I think the recent upgrades and current mass market chips are already beyond the Vita spec

People ITT who know a lot about tech: do you expect Zelda U to be reasonably ported to however strong you expect the NX handheld to be? My previous understanding was that the tech consensus ITT was that the HH would not be as powerful as Wii U.

I think it'll be capable of Wii-Uish games but at lower resolution and reduced LOD to match. So doesn't necessarily have to be as powerful as Wii U to support Wii U games. I think this is possible with power of modern mobile components but I'm much less savvier than I pretend to be ;p

maxcriden

I'm just wondering the prices of both the handheld and the home console if Nintendo aims to great hardware power this time. Hopefully they won't release a console that's more expensive than Xbox One in NA, neither something much more expensive than a 3DS or a Vita. I'd sacrifice a bit of hardware for better prices. Not sure how the mobile tech (and prices) has evolved these years though.

They're in a tricky position no doubt. We saw XB at 250 and PS4 at 300 this past Holiday season, right? Or was it 300 each? Regardless, I expect based on prior comments from Nintendo that the HH will not exceed $200 and the console will not exceed $300. I do think Nintendo values a lower price/spec system over a higher one baed on what they've said about wanting to provide affordable systems. I also think they see the 3DS and Wii U initial prices as a mistake. It's tricky for them though because if PS/X can be had for $250 this holiday season the incentive for some in considering a purchase of the NX console especially is lowered. So, my expectation is they could go as low as $150 HH and $250 console.

I think it'll be capable of Wii-Uish games but at lower resolution and reduced LOD to match. So doesn't necessarily have to be as powerful as Wii U to support Wii U games. I think this is possible with power of modern mobile components but I'm much less savvier than I pretend to be ;p

If they can put Smash, Xenoblade, and Hyrule warriors on 3DS

Im not saying it would be pretty.

It does seem unlikely that high end console developed titles will run on the handheld.

But certainly not impossible if thats a route they want to commit time and money into

My hope is for the console being $299 and the handheld being $199. $349 for the console would also be fine, but $299 would certainly be a better entry point.

Zalman

My hope is for the console being $299 and the handheld being $199. $349 for the console would also be fine, but $299 would certainly be a better entry point.
Going over $299 seems dangerous considering the other two are already super close to that. I think they've learned from the Wii U pricing. Handheld-wise, I'm also expecting $199 at most.

Going over $299 seems dangerous considering the other two are already super close to that. I think they've learned from the Wii U pricing. Handheld-wise, I'm also expecting $199 at most.

Dude!

199? for the console? No way. Sure 299 puts them close but...

Kssio_Aug

They're in a tricky position no doubt. We saw XB at 250 and PS4 at 300 this past Holiday season, right? Or was it 300 each? Regardless, I expect based on prior comments from Nintendo that the HH will not exceed $200 and the console will not exceed $300. I do think Nintendo values a lower price/spec system over a higher one baed on what they've said about wanting to provide affordable systems. I also think they see the 3DS and Wii U initial prices as a mistake. It's tricky for them though because if PS/X can be had for $250 this holiday season the incentive for some in considering a purchase of the NX console especially is lowered. So, my expectation is they could go as low as $150 HH and $250 console.

Yeah, I expect the home console to be released at the $299 mark! Would pay $350 though if that was the case! It's tricky for them indeed, since nowadays you can find very good offers for both PS4 and XB1.

If Nintendo does shit right for a change?

Ill happily fork over the cash

Not that i hated WiiU though. They certainly gave me some of my favorite games

Just hated some of the decisions they made as far as infrastructure is concerned

Neoxon

I'd be ok with it being $350 as long as the tech is there.
But the same may not be true for the average joe, especially after the Wii U. Not to mention that the x86 Twins could very easily drop their pice tag come Holiday 2016 (hell, the PS4 dropping its price could be likely with PSVR incoming).

TheJoRu

I definitely agree with Handheld: $199, Console: $299. Ideally you'd want to go even lower than that, the cost of entrance into the Nintendo gaming ecosystem should be low, but if the hardware is enticing I think these are launch prices they could work with. It's quite the sweet spot; it isn't like when you're launching at $349 where you really want to get down to $299 as soon as financially viable. It's a price you can keep for a while if you are getting good sales, eventually starting to bundle games with the hardware, still at $299.

But the same may not be true for the average joe, especially after the Wii U. Not to mention that the x86 Twins could very easily drop their pice tag come Holiday 2016 (hell, the PS4 dropping its price could be likely with PSVR incoming).

The average Joe doesn't know about the Wii u.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I believe at least one version of Silicon Studios' Yebis is available for Wii U (the current version, Yebis 3, I haven't seen mentioned in conjunction with Wii U). As it's a rather popular middleware (both Bloodborne and Dark Souls III use it, for example), maybe it's something Nintendo has in mind? Perhaps even Mizuchi?

Astral Dog

Nintendo can milk the 3DS a little longer. Really can't do it with the WiiU.

Also, NX has to compete with PS4/XB1 and it would be tough for the system to be sold at a competitive price in 2017 rather than this holiday.

Honestly, it makes sense for either the NX to be a home console or a handheld. However, to me it makes a lot more sense that NX is a home console coming this year.
They can still milk the Wii U a bit, as they are doing right now with HD remasters, DLC and Star Fox, then, late releases.

But NXhandheld wont support UE 4 😕

Neoxon

The average Joe doesn't know about the Wii u.
But they know about the PS4 & the XB1. And they aren't gonna pay for a Nintendo console that, let's be honest, likely won't have much in the name of western third party support for a good long while when they can get either of the x86 Twins (both of which have larger libraries, established online communities & third party support, and likely comparable &/or lower price tags when the NX Console drops).

Astral Dog

He said $199 for the handheld, which makes perfect sense. The 3DS at launch proved that people aren't likely to be willing to pay over $199 for a Nintendo handheld.
$199 for a handheld would be insane, even the original 3DS could not support that price.

But they know about the PS4 & the XB1. And they aren't gonna pay for a Nintendo console that, let's be honest, likely won't have much in the name of western third party support for a good long while when they can get either of the x86 Twins (both of which have larger libraries, established online communities & third party support, and likely comparable &/or lower price tags when the NX Console drops).

They would have to market heavily and lean on their recognized brand

People still love buying new nintendo products for their kids

Its going to be able having an exciting new product thats easy to use and understand. At a reasonable price, with a good name and lot of marketing

I for one am stoked that NX will release this year. Although Wii U brought some great games, it's time to move forward to something completely different.

I also believe they can't allow Wii U to drag on into 2017.

Neoxon

They would have to market heavily and lean on their recognized brand

People still love buying new nintendo products for their kids

Its going to be able having an exciting new product thats easy to use and understand. At a reasonable price, with a good name and lot of marketing
And Nintendo's rapidly losing that audience to mobile gaming.

Malus

I'm not sure I even understand what is trying to be verified here.

Maybe I missed something, but trev's claims are:

1.) Unity and UE4 are coming to NX. Unity comes to everything, and Epic brings their engine to any platform where their customers want it that has hardware that is from the past half decade. Given Epic's Japanese customers, some like Namco who even licensed UE3 for a Wii U game after liking UE4, I don't think that was really a question either.

2.) Zelda is coming to NX. We're just about the have a Zelda game release on its third consecutive generation of platform, and that's after three other old 3D Zelda games were ported to newer platforms this generation.

Am I missing something?

Both of those rumors also talked about NX launching in 2016, particularly the home console. I feel that outside of these rumors the NX home console releasing in 2016 has been little more than hopes, dreams and speculation on our part (and that uneasiness has been reinforced by ShockingAlberto treating its release year as up-in-the-air), so it'd be nice to have more concrete confirmation. Or at least more twigs to throw into the 2016 speculation fire.

thefro

I still think if Nintendo only cares about a system that is "cheap and affordable", they should just release a "Vita TV" version of the NX portable. Whatever gimmick they have could surely still run on that hardware and they could sell it at a healthy profit immediately.

If Nintendo's targeting something at least in the ballpark of XB1, why not spend the extra money ($20-50) on parts to get some chips in the box that will outclass the PS4? Why would they even be targeting the XB1 and not the PS4 when Nintendo historically hasn't cared about Microsoft?

I know you're saying "Nintendo made Wii & Wii U underpowered, cool, and quiet to appeal to the Japanese console market! Why wouldn't they make NX the same way?"

Remember, Iwata said in March:

"Your question also included the "current notion of thinking about home consoles and handheld devices." When it comes to how dedicated game systems are being played, the situations have become rather different, especially between Japan and overseas. Since we are always thinking about how to create a new platform that will be accepted by as many people around the world as possible, we would like to offer to them "a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept" by taking into consideration various factors, including the playing environments that differ by country. This is all that I can confirm today.

The logic for Nintendo just being happy with enough power to make XB1 ports possible has never made sense.

Maybe they want a modest amount more power over the Wii U for their internal purposes, but unless the gimmick is killer it's going to be hard to sell people on upgrading. I just think it's way safer for them to modestly, yet clearly outclass the PS4, especially since they can always release the "NX Portable TV" if they feel the need to go cheap.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
They can still milk the Wii U a bit, as they are doing right now with HD remasters, DLC and Star Fox, then, late releases.

But NXhandheld wont support UE 4 😕
UE4 mobile is designed for handhelds.

People need to understand - Nintendo won't just release a more powerful Wii U/3DS without a second screen (to clarify, I mean that I don't expect it to have a second screen - they are moving away from the Wii U). The NX will be more capable, sure, but it will bring something new to the table that will convince the masses they need it for entertainment. That novelty/gimmick/aspect or whatever you want to call it won't be available on the other consoles. Here's to hoping that it pushes gaming technology forward and doesn't hinder development and scare off third-party support.

Neoxon

I still think if Nintendo only cares about a system that is "cheap and affordable", they should just release a "Vita TV" version of the NX portable. Whatever gimmick they have could surely still run on that hardware and they could sell it at a healthy profit immediately.

If Nintendo's targeting something at least in the ballpark of XB1, why not spend the extra money ($20-50) on parts to get some chips in the box that will outclass the PS4? Why would they even be targeting the XB1 and not the PS4 when Nintendo historically hasn't cared about Microsoft?

I know you're saying "Nintendo made Wii & Wii U underpowered, cool, and quiet to appeal to the Japanese console market! Why wouldn't they make NX the same way?"

Remember, Iwata said in March:

The logic for Nintendo just being happy with enough power to make XB1 ports possible has never made sense.

Maybe they want a modest amount more power over the Wii U for their internal purposes, but unless the gimmick is killer it's going to be hard to sell people on upgrading. I just think it's way safer for them to modestly, yet clearly outclass the PS4, especially since they can always release the "NX Portable TV" if they feel the need to go cheap.
But then it would leave Nintendo exposed to being undercut by Sony & Microsoft with strategic price cuts (alongside a double-whammy hit from Sony via PSVR) & more third party support. And given that western third parties may be apprehensive about supporting Nintendo, going balls-out may not be the best course of action right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom